[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone ever buy half a cow?

Chief Dick

Not sure what the going rate will be - depends largely on how the beef was raised and the margin the rancher expects to take. Nearly any beef raised by a local rancher will be better for you than what you buy in a grocery store. That said, it may be tougher too. Stock yards are inhumane and disgusting, but they typically produce meat that has decent fat distribution. It may pay to ask how the steers were "finished" - if they poured the grain to them the last few weeks to fatten them up.

Depending on the seller, there may be kill fees and possibly a state ag tag.

Be sure to use a reputable shop that will cut and wrap to your specs. Specify how think you want your steaks cut, how big you want your roasts and the fat content of your burger... Enjoy!

http://www.darbyfarms.com/purchaseinformation.html

^^ from Perch's link

this is what I never understood about buying beef this way. $835 for 25 steaks. We don't eat 12 roasts in 5 years. 50 lb. of burger? meh

to each there own I guess

Kinda what jimmy said. We buy all are beef, pork and elk local. it depends on a few factors but most farms will be about the same. i have the same guys cut up everything and they do what ever I ask. check around and ask some of your buddies or neighbors and see if they have had it done and buy whom.

http://www.darbyfarms.com/purchaseinformation.html

^^ from Perch's link

this is what I never understood about buying beef this way. $835 for 25 steaks. We don't eat 12 roasts in 5 years. 50 lb. of burger? meh

to each there own I guess

We typically do one or two roasts a month. We easily use a pound of ground beef a week. We will typically buy a side a year, and supplement with extra ribeye steaks which can be bought individually.

We typically do one or two roasts a month. We easily use a pound of ground beef a week. We will typically buy a side a year, and supplement with extra ribeye steaks which can be bought individually.

if you can get some elk down there .... try it you may never buy a cow again.

Including processing you'll end up paying about $3 a pound and get about 250-300 pounds depending on the size of the animal. And if the animal was raised/finished correctly you will NEVER want to eat grocery store beef again.

Edited by The Holy Roller

We're thinking about buying a half a cow for meat for the freezer. Never done this before. How much should be expect to pay per pound? My neighbor has a buddy who raises cattle and sells them for meat.

What say you meat eaters?

Why buy the half of cow when you can get the milk for free

Including processing you'll end up paying about $3 a pound and get about 250-300 pounds depending on the size of the animal. And if the animal was raised/finished correctly you will NEVER want to eat grocery store beef again.

This.

PS to the Huddlers ... I'm looking into starting a small cattle operation and, if I get it going, we'll have meat for sale ...

This.

PS to the Huddlers ... I'm looking into starting a small cattle operation and, if I get it going, we'll have meat for sale ...

Dude, c'mon man...it can't be legal to just sell fat chicks. Can't believe you posted that here.