[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tebow stinks.

Do Work Son

He comes down to earth it seems when watching him play....then 4TH QUARTER comes and he's back in the clouds. I'm done saying he can't help this team toward the post-season, I can see them pulling crazy stuff. Seahawks vs Saints last season....I mean :wacko:

Not a typical QB or football player....but a straight-up athlete that can make plays and get lucky too. He's a starter in the NFL...that's gotta say at least something.

Will never like the Florida Gator Tebow....but the NFL one I kinda like (Noles Alum)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last time I checked most coaches/players care more about wins than quality of the win. I have a great deal of respect for Tebow even if he just beat my Bears.

Like I said, as long as they keep winning these games where the offense fails to generate much, everything will be cool. Who's going to be the a-hole on that D who starts talking chight while they're in the middle of a 6 game win streak?

The issue is the fact that, nearly every week, the D is given almost no room for failure. And that, in the last several minutes, everything needs to break right, because the offense has been so inept for the first 50 or so minutes of the game. A sword of damocles, if you will. That all the three and outs. All the failed 3rd downs, they're just waiting to come back to haunt them. And unless they can figure out how to move the ball throughout the game, be it through teaching Tebow to be a better QB or finding someone who can be a better QB, they're not going to be able to continue this. Almost nobody has been able to. The Ravens did, but the last time I mentioned them in this thread, I was called absurd for comparing Denver's D to them. So, apparently, that one is off limits.

After it was apparent that Tebow, the hardest working guy on the team. The guy who wants it more than anyone else, had failed to improve during the nearly two years since his last college game on the elements he needed to be better at to simply run a pro-style offense, they basically switched to an option. And that has essentially worked. Not that well, mind you, because if it was truly working, they'd be able to move the ball more consistently. But at least it's not like the Detroit game where the other team was actually laughing at them.

They've shown it is truly only a matter of time before teams figure it out. Well, because all of them seemingly have and lock them down for nearly the entire game. Then, all of a sudden, the D's going to start having to hold teams to less than a TD, rather than less than 2 TDs, in order for them to win. And that's when they're going to start caring about how ugly they look, because it's going to be losses.

Bronco Billy sees progress with Tebow. In what capacity? They're 8 games into his run and they still can't score. Two games where they've broken 20 pts (against the 28th and 30th ranked scoring Ds, mind you). But, here we are, and the D keeps getting them the ball back all game long, and they still can't move it until the other team inexplicably collapses at the end. Seriously, is that the plan? Are they just playing rope a dope?

Nice rant Detlef....

Food for thought.

The Bronco's score exactly 1 point less per game on average than the Steelers. Just saying......

Only 11 teams in the league average more then 24.0 points per game. Only 6 teams average more then 25.0 points per game.

Denver may not score like the uber power teams but they do lead the league in rushing, have a defense that is playing great and solid special teams. They also look to have the highest rated QB in the league in the 4th quarter. That is telling, as he and is team seem to have great stamina when others get a little tired they seem to dominate.

No doubt they win close games but last time I checked. players like Decker and the rest of their WR's and TE's are not even close at this point to the power teams skill set players like Gronk, Jennings, Welker, Johnson, Graham, Nicks, and Calvin......

Obviously, Tebow will never sling it like Brady, Brees, or Rodgers types but then again they will run it like Tebow.

Denver is winning games as a team and Tebow is without question contributing big time to that effort. He is an NFL caliber player and that is obvious or should be to anyone watching at this point. He makes solid decisions and his ability to pull in the defense to defend him is opening up the game.

Denver is dictating the game with their style and and it is working.

Edited by Ice1

Nice rant Detlef....

Food for thought.

The Bronco's score exactly 1 point less per game on average than the Steelers. Just saying......

Here's more food for thought. The Steelers and Broncos pts per game both rank among teams that are generally considered pretty crappy teams. The only team with a winning record who scores less than Denver is Tenn, who is 7-6. But Denver is actually scoring exactly as much as Tenn during the 8 games that Tebow has started, so they're not actually ahead of them anyway.

Pitt

Minnesota (crappy team)

Denver

Tennessee (not a crappy team, but not exactly great)

Miami (coach just got fired)

AZ (crappy team)

Seattle (crappy team)

Tampa Bay (crappy team)

Washington (crappy team who has shuffled QBs)

Jax (crappy team, fired coach))

Indy (crappy team)

Cleveland (crappy team)

KC (crappy team, just fired coach)

St Louis (crappy team)

So, pointing out that they're almost as good as Pittsburgh, a team who happens to be ranked #2 overall in scoring D so one could argue can mostly thank their good standing to how well their D has played, doesn't really carry much weight.

They've shown it is truly only a matter of time before teams figure it out.

I think teams have figured it out, but then they inexplicably change their defensive approach late in the 4th quarter. Its truly mind boggling.

Edited by nelsosi

I think teams have figured it out, but then they inexplicably change their defensive approach late in the 4th quarter. Its truly mind boggling.

That's sort of where I was going with it. Teams have obviously figured out how to stop it, because they do every game. Even in the Minnesota game, where they ultimately scored 35 pts, a team has horrible as Minn managed to absolutely shut them down in the 1st half.

Here's more food for thought. The Steelers and Broncos pts per game both rank among teams that are generally considered pretty crappy teams. The only team with a winning record who scores less than Denver is Tenn, who is 7-6. But Denver is actually scoring exactly as much as Tenn during the 8 games that Tebow has started, so they're not actually ahead of them anyway.

Pitt

Minnesota (crappy team)

Denver

Tennessee (not a crappy team, but not exactly great)

Miami (coach just got fired)

AZ (crappy team)

Seattle (crappy team)

Tampa Bay (crappy team)

Washington (crappy team who has shuffled QBs)

Jax (crappy team, fired coach))

Indy (crappy team)

Cleveland (crappy team)

KC (crappy team, just fired coach)

St Louis (crappy team)

So, pointing out that they're almost as good as Pittsburgh, a team who happens to be ranked #2 overall in scoring D so one could argue can mostly thank their good standing to how well their D has played, doesn't really carry much weight.

Seems by your standard all teams are crappy teams but maybe 4-5 in the league. That is not really a view I share. Even the Jags beat the Ravens....Are they Crappy?

Only 6 teams in the league score 5 points plus more then the Broncos. No doubt they are not a juggernaut but there are lots of ways to win in this league.

Seems by your standard all teams are crappy teams but maybe 4-5 in the league. That is not really a view I share. Even the Jags beat the Ravens....Are they Crappy?

Only 6 teams in the league score 5 points plus more then the Broncos. No doubt they are not a juggernaut but there are lots of ways to win in this league.

Yes there are. And the Jags were crappy enough to get their coach fired. Also, since we're talking about inept offenses, are you really going to use the Jags 12-7 victory over the Ravens as an example to the contrary?

None the less, my point was simply that there are no teams who score less than the Broncos that anyone would really consider "good". In other words, the Broncos are winning despite an inability to score, more than any other team in the league. Thus, we might want to look elsewhere besides the QB as to why they are winning.

Edited by detlef

Denver is dictating the game with their style and and it is working.

But they're really not. At least not as often as they're winning. In the Miami, SD, NYJ, and Chicago games, Tebow wasn't "dictating" anything until the very, very end. How is going three and out, for the first 50 minutes of the game "dictating the game"?

This is what is happening far more often than any pro-Tebow side wants to admit. The D is absolutely standing on its head while the offense gives them no support at all. Three and out, booming punt, D gets the ball back. Three and out, booming punt, D gets the ball back. Repeat. Did you know that their punter ranks #6 in avg distance among punters who have played more than one game? Of course, because he punts so damned much, he's #1 in total yards).

Then, all of a sudden, they pull one out of their ass. So, if anyone is "dictating the game" it's the D.

Edited by detlef

That's sort of where I was going with it. Teams have obviously figured out how to stop it, because they do every game. Even in the Minnesota game, where they ultimately scored 35 pts, a team has horrible as Minn managed to absolutely shut them down in the 1st half.

Obviously, teams have not figured out Denver. They are the top rushing team in the NFL. That is like saying the League has figured out how to stop the Texans running game.

They simply haven't. Certain teams beat on you for 3 quarters then as those teams wear down the fourth quarter adjustments take over. We see example weekly. This past week we saw multiple games decided at the wire.

The bad Vikings had chance but for a face mask penalty. The Titans were sacked inside the 5 on the last play, the Giants rolled my Boys and the Cowboys fought back only to miss yet another field goal, and the Broncos came through again.

Bad teams like the Browns had an INT late that would have tied the game, then the Steelers hit a bomb because Haden fell down. The Cards stopped the 49's. It is not that there are lot of bad teams, it is there is a lot of parity in the league and many ways to win.

Denver wins with a solid running game a good defense, and a QB that will make an opponent pay for mistakes. Tebow is an athlete that has that second gear when needed most and that trait is uncommon even among the great athletes in the NFL.

Of course he has to get better. We can count on one hand players that play at the pinnacle of their ability all the time. Hell even Brady got yelled at this week and he is arguably the best ever to play the game.

Just saying, Tebow is getting bashed more then any other I have seen in years but there is no denying he has been stepping up big time when given the opportunity to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat and comes through with flying colors.

He plays a different game then the prototypes and it works. He is also blessed with defense that is playing great and no reason to think that will change. There are lots of players playing extremely focused. That goes to leadership. Great coaching and Tebow is contributing to the leadership on the field and suspect big time in the clubhouse.

I guess we see a different game. Good is not because you can score like the Chargers, Good is when the team comes together and wins game weekly under very adverse conditions.

Denver is good.

They were bad when they were 1-4 and made one key change. Now they have won 7 of 8 games with a QB that is rated 14th in the league from efficiency and would be rated even higher if rushing was figured in that calculation.

BTW, The Ravens, who you think Crappy are the #2 seed to date in the AFC so me thinks your standard maybe too high.

Obviously, teams have not figured out Denver. They are the top rushing team in the NFL. That is like saying the League has figured out how to stop the Texans running game.

The Falcons were frequently the top rushing team with Vick and Dunn, but that doesn't change that teams figured out how to stop him after the gimmick wore off....

Just saying, Tebow is getting bashed more then any other I have seen in years but there is no denying he has been stepping up big time when given the opportunity to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat and comes through with flying colors.

I guess we see a different game. Good is not because you can score like the Chargers, Good is when the team comes together and wins game weekly under very adverse conditions.

I guess we are watching different parts of the game, because the Tebow I see in the first 55 minutes is not playing well. "Good is not because you can score on the Chargers", umm, I would argue that that is "good", but going three-and-out with a sub 40 completion percentage most of the game isn't "good" either... If you wonder why Tebow still gets so much heat, it's because you can still see glaring passing deficiencies that his supporters seem to want to completely overlook; and like Detlef said, they are already shutting it down most of the game....

I will agree that he does have that great quality that Matt Ryan has of being at your best when your back is against the wall, but as we've seen with Ryan, he can only do that so many times, playing from behind and trying to catchup, before you have a game like the Texans game recently where you simply can't do enough to dig yourself out of the hole you've dug yourself into (and in games like the Panthers game last week, it often requires more than just 1 or 2 scores all day too)... So when you guys see a guy who digs himself out of a hole, we see a guy who digs himself into a hole, and no, it is not a recipe for success when you're facing teams that can score at will. Your defense can only do so much for the first 55 minutes before you have to give them some help with sustained drives if not scores.

It's really that simple... I'm willing to admit that when given the chance at the end of games, he's been remarkable, if you guys will admit that he can't be a sustainable winner just by being "given the chance" at the end of games. He has to play at a high level for 4 quarters, or at least 3, to be respected as a guy who can truly put the team on his back... So far it's been nearly every single game that the team has to put him on their backs for the vast majority of the game.

Edited by delusions of granduer

BTW, The Ravens, who you think Crappy are the #2 seed to date in the AFC so me thinks your standard maybe too high.

It's actually not at all because Houston ranks top 10 in total offense and top 5 in scoring offense. So, no, teams have not figured out how to stop Houston.

People keep bringing up the rushing game, but, ultimately, you need to be able to move the ball consistently. Either that or have a D that is playing as well as Denver's is playing. But every time someone has tried to link how well the D is playing to how well Denver is running, they've failed. Az pulled up every game where a team has rushed for 200 or more yards and showed that the opponent put up less than average totals in both points and yardage. Problem was, that average was skewed by games where the team both rushed and passed effectively. In fact, there were only three examples of a team rushing for 200 yds but not passing effectively where Az's theory held. Two were Denver, and one was SF, a team who's D has rightly gotten most of the credit for their resurgence.

As for the Ravens, I thought you were asking me if I still thought the Jags were crappy in light of having beaten a good Ravens team. Had I actually realized you were implying that, by virtue of having been beaten by a crappy team, the Ravens sucked, I would have simply laughed.

BTW, regarding the Steelers winning with "defense", it should be noted that 2 out of their 3 losses were when they scored 10 points or less (the other was the other Baltimore game), and only beat JAX, KC, and CLE by scoring less than 17 points (being teams you can beat without putting up alot of scores)... Other than that, in every other single win, they've put up over 20 points... So while they rely on a strong defense too, they are winning far more games when they're putting up scores too.

Edited by delusions of granduer

So, I've been engaging in this discussion with one of my waiters. He's a very devout Christian and we got started with this when he posted a link to the "Why do we hate Tebow" article posted by Fox Sports News not long ago and made the rounds on FB.

Mostly my issue is with the fact that too many think that those of us who don't think he's going to ultimately succeed "hate" him and specifically that we do so because of his faith. Especially considering that he's hardly the first NFL player to make such an open display of his faith.

Regardless, today he sent me a link to another article, and one quote in particular stood out. The story, by the way was hardly anti-Tebow and I believe this fact was supposed to be a positive.

The only two other quarterbacks in league history to collect five fourth-quarter comebacks in their first 10 pro starts were the Giants’ Scott Brunner and the Raiders’ Marc Wilson, both in 1980.

Is that the company you want to keep? Could that, perhaps, shed some light on the ultimate sustainability of a QB who, so often, needs to pull wins out of his ass? Is it really so bad to simply play well the whole game so that you don't need the stars to align in the last five minutes to record a W?

ETA: In fairness, Wilson had a decent, journeyman's career. I just looked it up.

Edited by detlef

So, I've been engaging in this discussion with one of my waiters. He's a very devout Christian and we got started with this when he posted a link to the "Why do we hate Tebow" article posted by Fox Sports News not long ago and made the rounds on FB.

Mostly my issue is with the fact that too many think that those of us who don't think he's going to ultimately succeed "hate" him and specifically that we do so because of his faith. Especially considering that he's hardly the first NFL player to make such an open display of his faith.

Regardless, today he sent me a link to another article, and one quote in particular stood out. The story, by the way was hardly anti-Tebow and I believe this fact was supposed to be a positive.

Is that the company you want to keep? Could that, perhaps, shed some light on the ultimate sustainability of a QB who, so often, needs to pull wins out of his ass? Is it really so bad to simply play well the whole game so that you don't need the stars to align in the last five minutes to record a W?

That whole "most comeback" stat never really made sense to me anyway. If you would have played worth a darn the first three quarters, you wouldn't need a comeback.

That whole "most comeback" stat never really made sense to me anyway. If you would have played worth a darn the first three quarters, you wouldn't need a comeback.

Especially when so many of the comebacks involve games where you fail to score 20 pts.

Well, while I disagree that it's a completely meaningless stat (there are plenty of "better" QBs who choke in situations like that), but let's look at it like this... Matt Ryan has 16 4th quarter game-winning drives, while Rodgers only has 6.... Does that mean that Ryan is on par or better than Rodgers with this category? Of course not. While it does mean he plays well in the clutch, I agree, you can just as easily point out his and the defenses defeciencies that forced him to have to make plays at the end of the game, rather than just run out the clock.

And like Det said, when those comebacks only involve a score or two in the entire game (and in some games because of the defense scoring), then I'd say it's just as much of a matter of putting your team into a difficult situation, as thriving in it.

Is it possible that the play calling is a factor. In other words, is the play calling über conservative until such point as the Broncos have no choice but to open things up to try to get back into the game? I don't know the answer, but I suspect that this is a portion of the reason that Tebow has looked so horrendous. The only real test will be time. Will he be able to run more of the pro style play book? How well does he read defenses and adjust? I think the jury is still out. In the mean time, he has been one hell of an on the job learner. I mean, the whole offense is pretty young other than McGahee. Decker, Thomas, Beadles, Clady, Royal... None of these guys has been in the league all that long. I'm just glad that the Broncos are winning. To call Tebow a gimmick might be partially true right now, but he's started what, 10 career games now? Doesn't it stand to reason that he is probably going to continue to work on his skills do he isn't a one trick pony? Passing judgment now is a mistake. Give him time...

They simply haven't. Certain teams beat on you for 3 quarters then as those teams wear down the fourth quarter adjustments take over. We see example weekly. This past week we saw multiple games decided at the wire.

The bad Vikings had chance but for a face mask penalty. The Titans were sacked inside the 5 on the last play, the Giants rolled my Boys and the Cowboys fought back only to miss yet another field goal, and the Broncos came through again.

Bad teams like the Browns had an INT late that would have tied the game, then the Steelers hit a bomb because Haden fell down. The Cards stopped the 49's. It is not that there are lot of bad teams, it is there is a lot of parity in the league and many ways to win.

Denver wins with a solid running game a good defense, and a QB that will make an opponent pay for mistakes. Tebow is an athlete that has that second gear when needed most and that trait is uncommon even among the great athletes in the NFL.

Of course he has to get better. We can count on one hand players that play at the pinnacle of their ability all the time. Hell even Brady got yelled at this week and he is arguably the best ever to play the game.

He plays a different game then the prototypes and it works. He is also blessed with defense that is playing great and no reason to think that will change. There are lots of players playing extremely focused. That goes to leadership. Great coaching and Tebow is contributing to the leadership on the field and suspect big time in the clubhouse.

Denver is good.

They were bad when they were 1-4 and made one key change. Now they have won 7 of 8 games with a QB that is rated 14th in the league from efficiency and would be rated even higher if rushing was figured in that calculation.

It is than not THEN - ugghhhh could not keep reading it over and over ugghhhhh.

Passing judgment now is a mistake. Give him time...

I don't want to keep piling it on, but it's that so many are passing judgement in his favor, as if he's already getting over his glaring issues.... I mean, it's no longer his rookie year. It's not even his first or third start. He's been in the NFL for almost 2 years now, so it's time to start showing that he can start really improving, and put together some good complete games... And a throwing motion and delivery is not something that's easily changed. They've been working on it since his senior year of college, almost 3 years now, and he's still throwing some completely ugly passes and killing drives until he wills himself in the last 5 minutes...

I realize that you're one of the more level-headed fans, but when we see such a push to admit that we were wrong about Tebow, then you're just going to get more of the reasons why we still doubt him. There's just as much judgement on both sides...

He still hasn't put together even 3 acceptable (not even necessarily good) quarters, or even 1 or 2 other than versus the hapless Vikings, and got killed when the defense couldn't put him on his back against Detroit... Unfortunately it's just going to continue on both sides until he shows he can really improve, or the Broncos move on...

Broncos may lead the league in rushing for the 2011, but they are also

- 23 in total yards

- 21 in points per game

- 24 in yards per play

- 31 in passing yards

The defense is certainly helping, but they are not that stout either

- 4 in sacks

- 19 yards/game

- 22 points/game

- 25 in interceptions

- 12 in fumbles recovered

They are winning and yes that is all that matters to most fans right now. But this style of winning is not sustainable. Not when you play other teams that can score at will (NE, NO, GB, etc.)

I don't want to keep piling it on, but it's that so many are passing judgement in his favor, as if he's already getting over his glaring issues.... I mean, it's no longer his rookie year. It's not even his first or third start. He's been in the NFL for almost 2 years now, so it's time to start showing that he can start really improving, and put together some good complete games... And a throwing motion and delivery is not something that's easily changed. They've been working on it since his senior year of college, almost 3 years now, and he's still throwing some completely ugly passes and killing drives until he wills himself in the last 5 minutes...

I realize that you're one of the more level-headed fans, but when we see such a push to admit that we were wrong about Tebow, then you're just going to get more of the reasons why we still doubt him. There's just as much judgement on both sides...

He still hasn't put together even 3 acceptable (not even necessarily good) quarters, or even 1 or 2 other than versus the hapless Vikings, and got killed when the defense couldn't put him on his back against Detroit... Unfortunately it's just going to continue on both sides until he shows he can really improve, or the Broncos move on...

I can see your point. Passing judgment now because the team is 7-1 under Tebow this season is also a mistake. This whole thing is just bizarre because we've never before seen a team consistently win like the Broncos are winning right now, with a polarizing figure like Tebow at the center of it all.

Also, in all fairness, the coaches hadn't adjusted the play calling to suit Tebow's style for that Detroit game. Since that change, they are undefeated, and Tebow hasn't looked quite as awful. Granted, he hasn't really put it together, but he's still a kid. He may always suck for 3 quarters, or he may actually grow into a better QB at this level. I just want wins, and I couldn't be happier right now about how the team (the whole team) is playing. It would be awesome if we scored points in droves, but I think they are playing as well as I would expect on offense, and they really get it done when it counts. Ask a Cowboys fan if they would rather have Romo or Tebow with the game on the line.

BTW, regarding the Steelers winning with "defense", it should be noted that 2 out of their 3 losses were when they scored 10 points or less (the other was the other Baltimore game), and only beat JAX, KC, and CLE by scoring less than 17 points (being teams you can beat without putting up alot of scores)... Other than that, in every other single win, they've put up over 20 points... So while they rely on a strong defense too, they are winning far more games when they're putting up scores too.

The point being the Steelers only average 1 point per game more YTD and are also winning.

BTW, here is a list of a few QB's that had fewer passing yards than Tebow last week. Maybe its the weather.

Stafford

Facco,

Vick,

Freeman,

Sanchez,

Dalton

around 13 others.

Without the 6 drops I am sure he would have past several others. 1 QB had 400 and 5 were 300-400.

One thing that should be noted is he is not as one dimensional as many think. No doubt his passes are not that pretty some times but he could have put up close to 300 if his WR's caught the ball.

He won last in spite of an easy TD drop and a short FG miss. Those two plays would have put Denver up 10-0.

BTW, I think there is a real good chance Denver gets blown out this week as NE is vastly superior offensive team with way better weapons. That said, we will see.

No I won't be blaming Tebow as a bad QB as they simply have no where near the firepower but then again the Pats are 2nd in yards and 3rd in scoring with a plus 8.1 scoring advantage over points their defense yields.

Edited by Ice1