[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Cruxifiction of Joe Paterno

Rovers

kinda sound like a penn state apologist to me. :wacko:

I'm kinda sick about now hearing how penn state is this tremendous place of honor and integrity, except for that little thing about covering up the abuse of children (and aiding and abbetting so much more abuse in the process) to protect their image. and joe pa is practically a saint, except for being an enabler for a child rapist.

are you kidding me? you know what, folks, this really isn't about your stupid school pride. it is a shame to see people perpetuating the same puffed up pride and school-first mentality that allowed this horrible cancer to spread in the first place.

I think this too.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure that admitting that you "horsed around" and touched naked boys in the shower was the prudent thing to do.

Its pretty astonishing.

I don't know how anyone could have seen that interview with Costas and come away with any other thought than, This guy is beyond guilty. "What were the rhythmic slapping sounds?" "Well, sure, I was in the shower with the boy, but he was sliding on the floor of the stall and we were whipping each other with towels. Horseplay! Who among us hasn't done that?"

I don't know how anyone could have seen that interview with Costas and come away with any other thought than, This guy is beyond guilty. "What were the rhythmic slapping sounds?" "Well, sure, I was in the shower with the boy, but he was sliding on the floor of the stall and we were whipping each other with towels. Horseplay! Who among us hasn't done that?"

:wacko:

I'm kinda sick about now hearing how penn state is this tremendous place of honor and integrity, except for that little thing about covering up the abuse of children (and aiding and abbetting so much more abuse in the process) to protect their image. and joe pa is practically a saint, except for being an enabler for a child rapist.

are you kidding me? you know what, folks, this really isn't about your stupid school pride. it is a shame to see people perpetuating the same puffed up pride and school-first mentality that allowed this horrible cancer to spread in the first place.

Is there really anything else to say?

To those who think that we're denying that Paterno ever did anything good, that's not the case. We're just saying that this failure trumps all of that in a big freaking way.

To those who think that we're denying that Paterno ever did anything good, that's not the case. We're just saying that this failure trumps all of that in a big freaking way.

I'm not even trying to make that assertion at this point. I'm just sick of hearing about how penn state is going to recover and how penn state is coming together and penn state is going to move forward and oh but joe paterno did so much good. I suppose those are all relevant discussions at some point, but to see people jumping into that mode from the git-go just reeks to me of a damage control mentality and false institutional pride being most important -- again, it's the very mentality that got them all to this point in the first place.

I'm not even trying to make that assertion at this point. I'm just sick of hearing about how penn state is going to recover and how penn state is coming together and penn state is going to move forward and oh but joe paterno did so much good. I suppose those are all relevant discussions at some point, but to see people jumping into that mode from the git-go just reeks to me of a damage control mentality and false institutional pride being most important -- again, it's the very mentality that got them all to this point in the first place.

It pissed me off about how the sportscasters were talking about how this past week's football game could be the start of the healing process for Penn State. My thoughts were more like, "I don't give a f' if Penn State heals, I want to know what is going to start the healing process for the abuse victims."

It pissed me off about how the sportscasters were talking about how this past week's football game could be the start of the healing process for Penn State. My thoughts were more like, "I don't give a f' if Penn State heals, I want to know what is going to start the healing process for the abuse victims."

Amen.

I was similarly pissed when people mentioned how any punitive actions might affect the chances of the football team and a bunch of players who did nothing wrong. I get that none of the players on the Penn St team should be "punished" and that none of them had anything to do with the horrible acts that went down. I also get that, what we're talking about, is possibly putting them at risk of losing a football game, or canceling a football game, or whatever was being thrown around as how to deal with this whole mess.

And all I could think about is, "who gives a freaking rat's ass about whether or not a bunch of kids are going to lose a freaking football game?!" It won't be the first time they've lost and I'm sure they'll get over it. And a hell of a lot faster than I'd imagine it takes to get over the other crap that apparently went down at that school.

Amen.

I was similarly pissed when people mentioned how any punitive actions might affect the chances of the football team and a bunch of players who did nothing wrong. I get that none of the players on the Penn St team should be "punished" and that none of them had anything to do with the horrible acts that went down. I also get that, what we're talking about, is possibly putting them at risk of losing a football game, or canceling a football game, or whatever was being thrown around as how to deal with this whole mess.

And all I could think about is, "who gives a freaking rat's ass about whether or not a bunch of kids are going to lose a freaking football game?!" It won't be the first time they've lost and I'm sure they'll get over it. And a hell of a lot faster than I'd imagine it takes to get over the other crap that apparently went down at that school.

I do think that any transfer restrictions should be relaxed so that any players that want out of the program can go to other schools. They picked PSU in good faith, on the reputation of Paterno & Co., and were obviously sold a pretty tainted bill of goods.

I do think that any transfer restrictions should be relaxed so that any players that want out of the program can go to other schools. They picked PSU in good faith, on the reputation of Paterno & Co., and were obviously sold a pretty tainted bill of goods.

that will not happen or they will have to do it for every coach that screws up recruiting.

that will not happen or they will have to do it for every coach that screws up recruiting.

I wouldn't be so sure, if they hand down a death penalty type of sanction, you can bet they'll try to help players get out of there. And if they can strip wins and scholarships from USC over a home for Reggie Bush's parents what do they do here?

Edited by Pope Flick

I wouldn't be so sure, if they hand down a death penalty type of sanction, you can bet they'll try to help players get out of there. And if they can strip wins and scholarships from USC over a home for Reggie Bush's parents what do they do here?

i thought he was talking about letting the athlete's get out not sanctions?

I've wondered about the whole death penalty deal and I'm really afraid of what I'm guessing will be the rationale. Not that I like it one bit.

Remember how fired up people were that Pete Rose got banned for life over gambling but others who had done crimes much worse in how society ranks these things did not? It's because Rose messed with the competitive balance of the game itself (or allegedly did).

As horrible as these crimes are, they have no bearing on the competitive balance of college football. The cover-up may have saved the program but it's not like the crime itself had anything to do with messing with fair play on the field. It's not like they were paying players to come there. They were just protecting one of their own.

And again, I'm just guessing this is how it would go down. I find it revolting to say the least that would be how they would rule on it, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they did.

they should shut down the entire program until such time as this thing is completely worked through the legal process and everyone even remotely connected removed from the university. then the players and families and fans and those concerned about the precious games can have some time to sit back and realize what is truly important here.

they should shut down the entire program until such time as this thing is completely worked through the legal process and everyone even remotely connected removed from the university. then the players and families and fans and those concerned about the precious games can have some time to sit back and realize what is truly important here.

That would make too much sense. Too many people treat college football like a religion, even putting it above innocent children being raped.

And now that I think about it, probably zero players would even attempt to transfer if given the opportunity. The We Are.....Penn State crap has been jammed down their throats and Paterno is their deity. Gotta win for Joe. Probably none of us can even fathom the level of indoctrination, as so many at that school have acted in ways we consider so bizarre.