[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Cruxifiction of Joe Paterno

Rovers

Considering that the detective investigating the case is presumed dead with his laptop smashed, I'm starting to wonder a bit about what McQueary might have tried to do, but may have been covered up...That part about the missing detective hasn't been mentioned that much, but people don't just disappear with their laptop smashed unless they're sniffing around the wrong places....

Or hell, for all I know, mcQueary's silence might have played a part in his promotions to coaching... I guess we're about to find out to what degree "loyalty" played in covering for and enabling this sick freak.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is him being skeptical not relevant? You kidding? If someone walked up to you and said "dude I just saw your dad raping a little boy!" would you go right to the cops? Would any of us in a similar situation? I really really doubt it. Are your doubts "irrelevant?"

He had every right to be skeptical. BUT it is not his job to figure it out. From the evidence that i've read it seemed pretty obvious something needed to be reported. At a minimum, he had enough evidence to suspect that this could be legitimate. His moral obligation was to go the police.

Edited by Jackass

are you effing kidding me? anyone concerned about the rape of a child being institutionally glossed over is just looking for a "big counter-strike"? you are even more completely out-to-lunch on this one than usual. get a freaking grip.

Your lack of reading comprehension and general stupidity is even more than usual. Way to twist and/or fail to grasp what I said. Re. getting a grip, take a look in the mirror.

But thx for a great example of exactly what I'm talking about. People frothing at the mouth and unable or even uninterested in rational discussion or thought. Just torpedo anyone in range and shout down anyone who dares disagree or even question such actions in the least. Brilliant.

I'm all for frying Sandusky. I'm not all for frying everyone else imaginable, esp not in the heat of the moment.

PS I also do not get how Patnero is axed but the guy who above all others should have gone to the police - McQ - is still coaching. Again I guess he isn't a big enough fish to fry so the school figures eh let him go. :wacko:

Edited by BeeR

To be fair, it was not clear from McQueary's angle whether Sanduskie was anally penetrating the boy or merely rubbing his penis along the boy's crack.

You are kidding, right? Is this a distinction that really matters? Like one isn't going to lead to the other......

an article from april, before all this broke:

Allegations of improper conduct with an underage male first surfaced in 1998, while Sandusky was still employed by Penn State. That incident allegedly occurred in a shower at Penn State's on-campus football facility. No charges were filed.

Sandusky retired the next year, in 1999. He was 55, prime age for a coach. Odd, to say the least - especially with Joe Paterno thought even then to be ready to quit and Sandusky a likely, openly-discussed successor.

It seems logical to ask: What did Paterno know, and when did he know it? What did Penn State's administration know, and when did they know it?

Best-case scenario: Charges are never brought, and Sandusky walks away with his reputation permanently scarred. The rumors, the jokes, the sideways glances - they won't ever stop. Paterno and Penn State do the great escape.

Worst-case scenario: Sandusky is charged. Then it seems reasonable to wonder: Did Penn State not make an issue of Sandusky's alleged behavior in 1998 in exchange for him walking away from the program at an age premature for most coaches? Did Penn State's considerable influence help get Sandusky off the hook?

Don't kid yourself. That could happen. Don't underestimate the power of Paterno and Penn State in central Pennsylvania when it comes to politicians, the police and the media.

In 1999, Penn State was rid of Sandusky. His rep was unblemished, which allowed him to continue running a charitable foundation that gave him access to underage males. To be a volunteer assistant with a high school football team, thus gaining access to underage males.

If Paterno and Penn State knew, but didn't act, instead facilitating Sandusky's untroubled retirement - are Paterno and Penn State responsible for untoward acts since committed by Sandusky?

This is far from an outrageous hypothesis, especially given the convenient timeline.

Initially accused in 1998. Retires in 1999. Never coaches college football again. Sandusky was very successful at what he did. The architect of Linebacker U. Helped win national championships in 1982 and 1986. Recognized as college football's top assistant in 1986 and 1999.

Never any stories about Sandusky being pursued for a high-profile job. Never any rumors about him coming out of retirement.

But there's no shortage of stories and rumors about Penn State football sweeping problems under the rug, is there?

Why did college football let an accomplished coach like Sandusky walk away at 55? Why did he disappear into relative anonymity?

Edited by Azazello1313

You are kidding, right? Is this a distinction that really matters? Like one isn't going to lead to the other......

You don't know that it would definitely lead to that. Maybe he rubbed himself on the boy and realized, shoot, you know what, I'm not really a pederast after all.

Sports Media Asks Molestation Victims What This Means For Joe Paterno's Legacy

November 10, 2011

STATE COLLEGE, PA—After former Penn State defensive coach Jerry Sandusky was charged Saturday with multiple counts of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, corruption of minors, indecent assault, and unlawful contact with minors, the national sports media sought out his victims this week to ask if they were worried about Joe Paterno's legacy and how their molestations might affect the recently fired head coach's place in the history books.

Describing the downfall of Paterno as "clearly the most devastating thing to come out of the sex scandal," outlets from ESPN to USA Today asked Sandusky's victims if, while being forced to engage in oral and anal sex with a man 40 to 50 years their senior, their primary fear was for Paterno's reputation—and, specifically, for how revelations of their suffering might diminish his two national championships, three Big Ten titles, and 24 bowl victories.

"This is obviously a sensitive subject for you, and I understand how difficult and uncomfortable it must be to talk about the abrupt end of JoePa's career, but as a journalist, it's my responsibility to Josh Gordon past the 40 counts of sexual misconduct over a 15-year period and the gross negligence on the part of school authorities and ask about what is really important here: Joe Paterno's football accomplishments," Steve Wieberg of USA Today said to one anonymous victim, who was 10 years old when Sandusky assaulted him and who now suffers from irreparable emotional and psychological damage. "He is the winningest Division I football coach of all time and a man whose very name is synonymous with excellence. As a Penn State fan yourself, this must be very tough for you."

"When you told your family how Coach Sandusky forced you to engage in illicit 'soap battles' with him in the shower, what were their thoughts on Joe Paterno?" he continued as the abuse victim stared silently back at him. "Was their immediate response worry and concern for how this might tarnish his six Fiesta Bowl wins?"

Given the delicate situation, sportswriters said they felt the need to tread lightly and initially only asked victims how they thought Paterno might be feeling during this difficult time. They then followed up with more substantial questions about being exploited and preyed upon by a sexual deviant, such as how the victims thought their being pinned against a wall while Sandusky assaulted them might hurt Penn State's 2012 recruiting class; how covering up a systematic pedophile victim-grooming pipeline, in the form of youth football camps, might damage the culture of winning Paterno worked so hard to establish; and whether they were worried about the mental state of the team heading into Saturday's game against Nebraska.

In addition, various representatives from CNN, The New York Times, and Sports Illustrated asked the victims—all of whom will reportedly have to undergo therapy for the rest of their lives—how they thought Paterno's wife, Sue, and their five children were holding up.

Sources later confirmed that one victim, who couldn't stop shaking his head while being questioned, began sobbing openly when asked if he would join the throngs of students who took to the streets to protest the head coach's ouster, and if he thought his molestation would overshadow Paterno's renowned ability to graduate his players.

"The victim I spoke to, who was 12 years old when Sandusky first took advantage of him, looked very upset throughout the entire interview," Sports Illustrated writer Stewart Mandel said. "And when I asked whether he was concerned not just for how Joe Paterno would be remembered, but also for the football program's ability to recover, he told me the interview was over and I should get out of his house."

"Can you blame him, though?" Mandel added. "A coaching legend's reputation hangs in the balance. I'm just as hurt and frustrated as he is."

Many members of the sports media said they found the victims equally uncooperative and generally disinterested in Paterno's Bear Bryant, Walter Camp, and Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year Awards. According to the journalists, shock and trauma were possible reasons for this response, and the victim's were more than likely speechless due to the thought of Paterno's storied career ending on such a sour note.

"I think right now they just need some time," said ESPN senior writer Ivan Maisel, who, in light of the allegations of misconduct at every level of Penn State's administration and the dozens of ruined lives that resulted, filed a column about Paterno's football legacy Wednesday. "I'm sure they'll be better when the dust settles and they realize just how impressive 409 victories really is."

At press time, the victims of years and years of psyche-destroying sexual abuse released a joint statement saying they were not concerned about Joe Paterno's legacy.

Alas, I think the Onion isn't far off in their take on this.

Paterno told the people he was supposed to tell and they were supposed to handle it. It is not his fault they didn't. He wasn't Sandusky's employer or the GA's daddy/wet nurse.

huh?

PS I also do not get how Patnero is axed but the guy who above all others should have gone to the police - McQ - is still coaching. Again I guess he isn't a big enough fish to fry so the school figures eh let him go. :wacko:

oh, I get what you're saying now. wait...huh?

Alas, I think the Onion isn't far off in their take on this.

I like the Onion, but this is in poor taste.

I think the point of the article is to display the sports media's bad taste coverage I've heard which goes essentially like this: "Oh, this is terrible - now let's talk about the poor football program and poor JoPa and poor Penn State. How will they recover?" As Wiegie said, the Onion piece is not far off from reality.

I like the Onion, but this is in poor taste.

That's how satire works. By taking someone acting a fool (the media) and exagerating it to the extreme to exemplify how foolish they're being... It's making a point about how the concern should be for the cihldren and investigation, not for what it means to Paterno's legacy and career.

That's how satire works. By taking someone acting a fool (the media) and exagerating it to the extreme to exemplify how foolish they're being... It's making a point about how the concern should be for the cihldren and investigation, not for what it means to Paterno's legacy and career.

If you have to explain it...

I think the point of the article is to display the sports media's bad taste coverage I've heard which goes essentially like this: "Oh, this is terrible - now let's talk about the poor football program and poor JoPa and poor Penn State. How will they recover?" As Wiegie said, the Onion piece is not far off from reality.

I get the point and agree with the sentiment, but putting words in the mouths of victims before the victims have really had an opportunity to have their say takes too much liberty for the sake of satire IMHO.

Edited by billay