[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Cruxifiction of Joe Paterno

Rovers

I think the point of the article is to display the sports media's bad taste coverage I've heard which goes essentially like this: "Oh, this is terrible - now let's talk about the poor football program and poor JoPa and poor Penn State. How will they recover?" As Wiegie said, the Onion piece is not far off from reality.

It's very well done too, IMO.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get the point and agree with the sentiment, but putting words in the mouths of victims before the victims have really had an opportunity to have their say takes too much liberty for the sake of satire IMHO.

Fair enough.

you have some serious issues - and your posts on this are beyond moronic.

why would you be so opinionated when you admittedly don't know the facts and are "in a vacuum" these are not baseless accusations, so not only is your post bizarre, it really has nothing to do with this case.

get it together.

What a dingleberry you are. I started the thread to hear what others knew and thought about this whole episode. Once I learned more, I stated that my initial position was wrong. It was more of a question than stating an opinion. You were just looking for an opening for a personal attack. Get a life.

Yes, I know personally two people wrongfully accused of child abuse. Their lives were nearly ruined. Avoiding a similar situation where I could be vulnerable to false accusations means I have issues? I've never been in any kind of real trouble, and I do what I can to avoid placing myself into situations that could change that. For instance, my nephew took in a woman, a troubled one with two young girls. (He has an apt in my house) The kids were also troubled and had a history. I refused to baby sit the girls for my nephew and this woman. I simply did not want to place myself in a position that had the potential to be a life ruining event... so I'm sick?

There was a newly ordained young priest in my parish, and he spoke on this topic. In seminary, some of his "classmates" said they would not ever be involved with youngsters for fear of being falsley accused of wrong doing. He, as an ex-Boy Scout himself refused to avoid interacting with Boy Scouts in the parish for fear. I applaud his courage. I am not him.

There was a newly ordained young priest in my parish, and he spoke on this topic. In seminary, some of his "classmates" said they would not ever be involved with youngsters for fear of being falsley accused of wrong doing. He, as an ex-Boy Scout himself refused to avoid interacting with Boy Scouts in the parish for fear. I applaud his courage. I am not him.

Sadly nowadays that's a pretty wise choice. It's a shame because the kids miss out on quality mentors. If only there was a litmus test to prove someone has those proclivities. Instead the kind older gentleman is trusted and the shifty looking one is suspected, and either assumption can be dead wrong. I guess the solution is to never let one or even two people ever be alone with children.

You know I like to make light of things because it's how I deal with everything, but I read some of the report and I can hardly believe it. It is hard for me to believe this stuff really happens. For a sane person that knows right from wrong to do these things, no punishment you could name is barbaric enough IMO.

What a dingleberry you are. I started the thread to hear what others knew and thought about this whole episode. Once I learned more, I stated that my initial position was wrong. It was more of a question than stating an opinion. You were just looking for an opening for a personal attack. Get a life.

Yes, I know personally two people wrongfully accused of child abuse. Their lives were nearly ruined. Avoiding a similar situation where I could be vulnerable to false accusations means I have issues? I've never been in any kind of real trouble, and I do what I can to avoid placing myself into situations that could change that. For instance, my nephew took in a woman, a troubled one with two young girls. (He has an apt in my house) The kids were also troubled and had a history. I refused to baby sit the girls for my nephew and this woman. I simply did not want to place myself in a position that had the potential to be a life ruining event... so I'm sick?

this is absurd - you start a thread with no research on your end and admittedly no knowledge of what is going on and I need to get a life?

honestly, this whole thing Sandusky thing is disgusting. I take it seriously and I couldn't believe the flat out mis-informed tone of your posts. It just struck me as a simple-mided takes on something that you haven't even read up on, so what is the point of it?? I guess it was my mistake for reading, I just founds it so off base I had to chime in.

And yes, you have some issues if you decline babysitting for little ones and kids in your family - that is brutal.

I have babysit and watched kids, male and female of all ages and the thought of not doing it due to being accused of abuse has NEVER crossed my mind.

Carry on with posts about wanting to beat up little kids and rambling paranoia about being accused of child abuse, it sounds like a blast.

FYI McQueary is not coaching/attending game due to death threats. The mob brilliance continues. Pass the pitchforks.

McQueary was as wrong as wrong could be in this situation and his failure to take the proper action is inexcusable. People are blaming him for Paterno losing his job. However, Joe Paterno didn't lose his job because of McQuery's lack of action. He lost it because of his own.

That being said....…can anyone ever look at McQueary again and not feel a sense of discust and anger? Do you really want someone representing your university that is going to envoke these kinds of emotions in people?

He doesn't deserve the death threats but I don't think he deserves to keep his job either.

What an f'd up situation all the way around.

Edited by SayItAintSoJoe

FYI McQueary is not coaching/attending game due to death threats. The mob brilliance continues. Pass the pitchforks.

NAMBLA Leader: Rights? Does anybody know their rights? You see, I've learned something today. [stan and Kyle look at each other] Our forefathers came to this country because… they believed in an idea. An idea called "freedom." They wanted to live in a place where a group couldn't be prosecuted for their beliefs. Where a person can live the way he chooses to live. [stan, Kyle, and Cartman look at each other] You see us as being perverted because we're different from you. People are afraid of us, because they don't understand. And sometimes it's easier to persecute than to understand. [stan and Kyle look at each other, then at the NAMBLA leader]

Kyle: Dude. You have sex with children.

NAMBLA Leader: We are human. Most of us didn't even choose to be attracted to young boys. We were born that way. We can't help the way we are, and if you all can't understand that, well, then, I guess you'll just have to put us away. [shots of the agents, then the Brando look-alikes, then Stan and Kyle, who look at each other, then at the NAMBLA leader]

Kyle: [slowly, for emphasis] Dude. You have sex with children.

Stan: Yeah. You know, we believe in equality for everybody, and tolerance, and all that gay stuff, but dude, burrito you.

Kyle: Seriously.

He doesn't deserve the death threats but I don't think he deserves to keep his job either.

I really can't understand why he wasn't fired at the same time as Paterno. What a glaring oversight by a University already being scrutinized for it's lack of good decision making! They need to get rid of him immediately. And at the end of this season, they need to get rid of any other coach that has been on staff any time over the last 10 years.

This guy summed up my thoughts perfectly. I agree with him 100%, including his first two points.

:wacko:

The End of Paterno

College Football, General | Comments

Decrease font

Enlarge font

Let me start with this: I am writing a book about Joe Paterno. I am getting paid a sizable amount of money to do so, some of which I plan to donate to the charity of Joe’s choice, some of which I plan to keep. I have been working on this book, on and off, speed bumps and traffic jams, for a couple of years now. I moved away from my family, to State College, for the football season. I had many hard feelings about that. But I believed — as my wife believed — that it was the right thing to do. I came here to write about one of the giants of sports. And my wife and I both felt that the only way to tell the story, for better and worse, was to be around it every day.

The last week has torn me up emotionally. This doesn’t matter, of course. All that matters are the victims of the horrible crimes allegedly committed by former assistant coach Jerry Sandusky. I cannot say that enough times. Sometimes, I feel like the last week or so there has been a desperate race among commentators and others to prove that they are MORE against child molesting than anyone else. That makes me sick. We’re all sickened. We’re all heartbroken. We’re all beyond angry, in a place of rage where nothing seems real. The other day, I called it “howling.” I meant that in the purest sense of the word — crying in pain.

So, two points to get out of the way:

1. I think Joe Paterno had the responsibility as a leader and a man to stop the horrific rapes allegedly committed by Jerry Sandusky, and I believe he will have regrets about this for the rest of his life.

2. Because of this, Joe Paterno could no longer coach at Penn State University.

Beyond these two points, though, I said I wasn’t going to write about this because I feel like there’s still a lot of darkness around. I don’t know what Joe Paterno knew. I don’t know how he handled it. I don’t know if he followed up. I don’t know anything about Paterno’s role in this except for what little was said about that in the horrifying and stomach-turning grand jury findings. People have jumped to many conclusions about Paterno’s role and his negligence, and they might be right. I’ll say it again: They might be right. But they might be wrong, too. And I’m writing a book about the man. I can’t live in that world of maybes.

It hasn’t been easy to stay silent — nor is it my personality. As anyone who knows me will tell you, I will write 5,000 words about an infomercial I don’t like. But I thought it was important that I stay out of the middle of this, observe the scene, and I still think that’s important.

But — well, I’ve already said that my emotions don’t matter here, that they are nothing like what the victims went through, but for the purposes of this essay I’ll tell you them anyway: I’ve been wrecked the last week. Writing a book comes from the soul. It consumes you — mentally, emotionally, spiritually, all of it. I have thought about Joe Paterno, his strengths, his flaws, his triumphs, his failures, his core, pretty much nonstop for months now. I have talked to hundreds of people about him in all walks of life. I have read 25 or 30 books about him, countless articles. I’m not saying I know Joe Paterno. I’m saying I know a whole lot about him.

And what I know is complicated. But, beyond complications — and I really believe this with all my heart — there’s this, and this is exclusively my opinion: Joe Paterno has lived a profoundly decent life.

Nobody has really wanted to say this lately, and I grasp that. The last week has obviously shed a new light on him and his program — a horrible new light — and if you have any questions about how I feel about all that, please scroll back up to my two points at the top.

But I have seen some things in the last few days that have felt rotten, utterly wrong — a piling on that goes even beyond excessive, a dancing on the grave that makes me ill. Joe Paterno has lived a whole life. He has improved the lives of countless people. I know — I’ve talked to hundreds of them. Almost every day I walk by the library that he and his wife, Sue, built. I walk by the religious center that tries to bring people together, and his name is on the list of major donors. I hear the stories, the countless stories, of the kindnesses that came naturally to him, of the way he stuck with people in their worst moments, of the belief he had that everybody could do a little bit better — as a football player, as a student, as a human being. I’m not going to tell you these stories now, because you can’t hear them. Nobody can hear them in the howling.

But I will say that I am sickened, absolutely sickened, that some of those people whose lives were fundamentally inspired and galvanized by Joe Paterno have not stepped forward to stand up for him this week, have stood back and allowed him to be painted as an inhuman monster who was only interested in his legacy, even at the cost of the most heinous crimes against children imaginable.

Shame on them.

And why? I’ll tell you my opinion: Because they were afraid. And I understand that. A kind word for Joe Paterno in this storm is taken by many as a pro vote for a child molester. A quick, “Wait a minute, Joe Paterno is a good man. Let’s see what happened here” is translated as an attempt to minimize the horror of what Jerry Sandusky is charged with doing. It takes courage to stand behind someone you believe in when it’s this bad outside. It takes courage to stand up for a man in peril, even if he stood up for you.

And that’s shameful. I have not wanted to speak because it’s not my place to speak. I’m Joe Paterno’s biographer. I’m here to write about the man. I’m not here to write a fairy tale, and I’m not here to write a hit job, and I hope to be nowhere near either extreme. I’m here to write a whole story. I’ve had people ask me: “Will you include all this in the book?” Well, OF COURSE I will — this is the tragic ending of a legendary career. I’m going to wait for evidence, and if it turns out that Joe Paterno knowingly covered this up, then I will write that with all the power and fury I have in me.

I will wait, though. I will have to wait.

But then, yeah, I opened my big mouth. On Thursday morning, I went to speak at the “Paterno and the Media” class on the Penn State campus — I have spoken at the class the last two or three years. This was obviously one day after Paterno had been fired, and the campus had been turned inside out. I woke up wondering if I really should go. But I decided I had to go.

And when I was asked questions, I had to say how I felt. It spilled out of me. I suppose it caused a bit of a Twitter uproar — I say “I suppose,” because for the first time in memory I am not checking Twitter, and I think I’ll stay away for a while — but what I remember saying is:

1. Joe Paterno is responsible for what happens on his watch. Period.

2. People are making assumptions about what Joe did or didn’t know, what Joe did or didn’t do, and I can’t tell you that those assumptions are wrong. But I can tell you that they are assumptions based on one side of the story.

3. We are in a top-you world where everyone is not only trying to report something faster but is also trying to report something ANGRIER. One guy wants Joe Paterno to resign, the next wants him to be fired, the next wants him to be fired this minute, the next wants him to be fired and arrested, the next wants him to be fired, arrested and jailed, on and on, until we’ve lost sight of who actually committed the crimes here.

4. I think the University could not possibly have handled this worse. It was disgusting and disgraceful, the method in which they fired Joe Paterno after 60 years of service, and yes, I do think Paterno was a scapegoat. Of course he was. I’ve already said that he had to be let go. But to let him dangle out there, take up all the headlines, face the bulk of the media pressure, absolutely, that’s the very definition of scapegoat. Three people were indicted and arrested. A fourth, I hear, will be indicted soon. Joe Paterno is not one of the four.

5. It is still unclear what Paterno did in this case. It will remain unclear for a while. You might be one of the hundreds and hundreds of people I’ve heard from who know EXACTLY what Paterno did. He HAD to know this. He DEFINITELY knew that. He COULD have done something. I respect that. Joe Paterno’s a public figure. You have every right to believe what you want to believe and be absolutely certain about it. But since we have not heard from Joe, not heard from former athletic director Tim Curley, not heard from GA/assistant coach Mike McQueary, not heard from anyone who was in the room, I’ll repeat: It’s unclear. A determined grand jury did not charge Joe Paterno with any crime. A motivated reporting barrage, so far, anyway, has not uncovered a single thing that can tell us definitively what Joe Paterno knew.

You can say that he knew enough to stop this, and I’d say you were right. I have tried so hard to make it clear that I am not defending Joe Paterno’s actions or inactions, but I know that won’t be enough. You may be writing an email right now telling me how terrible child molestation is, how awful a person Joe Paterno is, how awful a person I am for wanting to wait and see. I understand. This case hits emotions that are unstoppable.

But I will say this: Paterno has paid a price here. His job is gone. His life’s work has been soiled. His reputation is in tatters. Maybe that should be the price. Maybe there should be more of a price. You don’t have to type: “Well, his price is nothing like the price of those victims…” I already know that.

But I think the way Joe Paterno has lived his life has earned him something more than instant fury, more than immediate assumptions of the worst, more than the happy cheers of critics who have always believed that there was something phony about the man and his ideals. He deserves what I would hope we all deserve — for the truth to come out, or, anyway, the closest thing to truth we can find.

I don’t think Joe Paterno has gotten that. And I think that’s sad.

And with that, I’m going back underground to wrestle with my book and doubts and emotions and everything that goes with that.

I have been trying to wrap my head around the whole situation and these are a few thoughts I have concerning the 2002 incident:

I wonder if McQueary just panicked and "froze" when he saw what was happening in the shower rather than trying to stop it from continuing.

Then after leaving the situation, McQueary likely realized that he f'd up by not intervening, so then rather than trying to open himself up to the question of "You saw a boy being raped and you didn't try to stop it... what the f' is the matter with you? when he reported the incident to Paterno he made what he saw sound more ambiguous.

I am not excusing either McQueary or Paterno, but I think where they deserve blame is for not following up on the situation immediately and repeatedly. I always liked Penn State and Paterno, but his failure to do anything more than the absolute minimum in this situation destroys any respect I had for him. And then his actions of the last few days make him appear to be a doddering old man with little grip on reality.

And the fact that McQueary saw what he saw and then continued to see Sandusky with other little boys and didn't do anything else is simply stunning and unforgivable. (I can forgive a person for failing to act in the heat of the moment because he panicked, but I cannot forgive him for not acting once the heat of the moment was over.)

I wonder if McQueary just panicked and "froze" when he saw what was happening in the shower rather than trying to stop it from continuing.

I'm thinking he was probably in total shock and his "fight-or-flight" mechinism kicked in and unfortunately to flee the situation was his natural reaction. That is the only way I can explain his immediate behavior. His behavior following that point I cannot make sense of.

What McQueary did is completely inexcusable in my book. I still don't know why he hasn't been fired.

A lot of the pieces to this puzzle are still missing for me. We need more information, but, unfortunately no one is going to talk with a grand jury indictment out there.

I have been trying to wrap my head around the whole situation and these are a few thoughts I have concerning the 2002 incident:

Then after leaving the situation, McQueary likely realized that he f'd up by not intervening, so then rather than trying to open himself up to the question of "You saw a boy being raped and you didn't try to stop it... what the f' is the matter with you? when he reported the incident to Paterno he made what he saw sound more ambiguous.

I am not excusing either McQueary or Paterno, but I think where they deserve blame is for not following up on the situation immediately and repeatedly. I always liked Penn State and Paterno, but his failure to do anything more than the absolute minimum in this situation destroys any respect I had for him. And then his actions of the last few days make him appear to be a doddering old man with little grip on reality.

And the fact that McQueary saw what he saw and then continued to see Sandusky with other little boys and didn't do anything else is simply stunning and unforgivable. (I can forgive a person for failing to act in the heat of the moment because he panicked, but I cannot forgive him for not acting once the heat of the moment was over.)

I came to the same hypothesis. How McQueary characterized the incident in his report to Joe Pa is very important. If he said he thought he might have seen this and that, but wasn't sure or was ambiguous in any way, then one could see how Paterno might not be sure what exactly happened, so he reported it to his superiors so they could further investigate the matter. I can see how McQueary might have marginalized the incident, so no one would question him as to why he didn't intervene.

Paterno will be 85 years next month. Paterno came from a generation that did not have Oprah and Dr. Phill. Paterno came from a generation that did not speak of embarrassing incidents in public. Paterno came from a generation that typically followed the chain of command without question. Paterno reported an incident to his superiors, who in turn told him that they had handled the matter. Your superiors do not always provide you with the details or their reasoning as to how or why they made their final decisions . If you are accustomed to following the chain of command, you may not question their authority.

Obviously, both McQueary and Paterno made a huge mistake. McQueary should have intervened and stopped what was happening right then and there. McQueary should have gone straight to the police. If Paterno was notified without question that children were being abused, then he should have gone straight to the police. If the administrators didn't provide Paterno with an answer after he reported the incident, then he should have kept digging until he found out. It was Paterno's program. If a former employee was suspected of wrongdoing and was still associated with the program and showing up at the facilities, then it was Paterno's responsibility to follow this matter through. Maybe he did. Maybe the administrators lied to him.

There are still a lot of unanswered questions here. A lot of people want to say that Paterno should have known, which is easy to say now that a lot of secrets have been revealed. It comes down to 2 questions: What did Paterno know? And when did he know it?

Should Joe Paterno have been let go? Yes, he should have because the head coach represents the university and the program. When a coach's staff succeed, the coach gets the credit. When they fail, the coach gets the blame. Whether Paterno individually failed or not is still to be determined, but there can be no doubt that the university and the football program failed, and when that happens on this scale, right or wrong, the leaders usually take the blame and the fall.

Edited by electricrelish

Nice articles but it reads like the beginning of a white wash: they asked Sandusky for his free office keys and told him not to bring boys around a few years AFTER they pushed him out of his job. They knew. They all knew. It was " go ahead and diddle just don't do it around us. " Wow.

Nice articles but it reads like the beginning of a white wash: they asked Sandusky for his free office keys and told him not to bring boys around a few years AFTER they pushed him out of his job. They knew. They all knew. It was " go ahead and diddle just don't do it around us. " Wow.

yup just like the catholic church.... ignoring it or pushing off to others is not acceptable.

I prefer to reserve judgement until all the facts are out, but it's not looking good. This story was out there, but it seems like the press and parts of the community (i.e. police) wanted to keep it hush-hush. I've been wondering why the parents that knew didn't speak out about this. See below.

Not only did Penn State try to suppress the story, but according to Newhouse, police discouraged potential victims from involving the media.

As far back as 1998, Newhouse claims state police told the mother of one of Sandusky’s apparent victims not to discuss the case with journalists.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/11/11/...282843420111111

Edited by electricrelish

Whether Paterno individually failed or not is still to be determined . . .

BS. Of course he failed. McQueary saw a man having anal sex in a shower with a boy. McQueary told Paterno something about it, and that something was significant enough for Paterno to contact the AD, who went to Paterno' s home to discuss it with him.

What could McQueary have possibly told him about such an incident that would be significant enough for Paterno to do something but would not warrant him contacting the police?

That, in and of itself, demonstrates that Paterno is a piece of sh*t. And god only knows what else Paterno knew or suspected at other times.

BS. Of course he failed. McQueary saw a man having anal sex in a shower with a boy. McQueary told Paterno something about it, and that something was significant enough for Paterno to contact the AD, who went to Paterno' s home to discuss it with him.

What could McQueary have possibly told him about such an incident that would be significant enough for Paterno to do something but would not warrant him contacting the police?

That, in and of itself, demonstrates that Paterno is a piece of sh*t. And god only knows what else Paterno knew or suspected at other times.

I left it as an open question because I think the particulars of what exactly Paterno was told has not been clarified, but if he was told the general gist, then yes, he failed to act. He failed to act as a leader of men, a member of that community and as a human being.

but if he was told the general gist . . .

Please give me an example of a report would have prompted Paterno to contact the AD (who went over to Paterno's house to discuss it) but which would justify Paterno's decision not to call the police.

NAMBLA Leader: Rights? Does anybody know their rights? You see, I've learned something today. [stan and Kyle look at each other] Our forefathers came to this country because… they believed in an idea. An idea called "freedom." They wanted to live in a place where a group couldn't be prosecuted for their beliefs. Where a person can live the way he chooses to live. [stan, Kyle, and Cartman look at each other] You see us as being perverted because we're different from you. People are afraid of us, because they don't understand. And sometimes it's easier to persecute than to understand. [stan and Kyle look at each other, then at the NAMBLA leader]

Kyle: Dude. You have sex with children.

NAMBLA Leader: We are human. Most of us didn't even choose to be attracted to young boys. We were born that way. We can't help the way we are, and if you all can't understand that, well, then, I guess you'll just have to put us away. [shots of the agents, then the Brando look-alikes, then Stan and Kyle, who look at each other, then at the NAMBLA leader]

Kyle: [slowly, for emphasis] Dude. You have sex with children.

Stan: Yeah. You know, we believe in equality for everybody, and tolerance, and all that gay stuff, but dude, burrito you.

Kyle: Seriously.

:wacko::tup:

According to the grand jury report:

Joseph V. Paterno testified to receiving the graduate assistant's report at his home on a Saturday morning. Paterno testified that the graduate assistant was very upset. Paterno called Tim Curley, Penn State Athletic Director and Paterno's immediate supervisor, to his home the very next day, a Sunday, and reported to him that the graduate assistant had seen Jerry Sandusky in the Lasch Building showers fondling or doing something of a sexual nature to a young boy.

According to the report, a week and a half later McQueary told Curley and another guy that he witnessed Sandusky having "what he believed to be" anal sex with the boy.

Its difficult for me to comprehand how anybody can defend Paterno even assuming that he is telling the truth about what McQueary told him.

Please give me an example of a report would have prompted Paterno to contact the AD (who went over to Paterno's house to discuss it) but which would justify Paterno's decision not to call the police.

There isn't an example that involves child abuse. He should have called the police no question whatsoever. If that report is accurate about what McQueary told Curley, and if that's the same thing that he told Paterno, then Paterno should be ashamed.

Thanks for listing that quote. I haven't read as much as I should have. Ugh....very, very disturbing. I guess I've been trying to hypothesize what both McQueary and Paterno were thinking, and it's very hard to see things from their point of view right now.

Edited by electricrelish

There isn't an example that involves child abuse. He should have called the police no question whatsoever. If that report is accurate about what McQueary told Curley, and if that's the same thing that he told Paterno, then Paterno should be ashamed.

Thanks for listing that quote. I haven't read as much as I should have. Ugh....very, very disturbing. I guess I've been trying to hypothesize what both McQueary and Paterno were thinking, and it's very hard to see things from their point of view right now.

I can't blame anyone who wouldn't want to read the transcript of the grand jury report, but it does explain a lot of the anger directed at Paterno, McQueary, et al.

And if you want to understand the methodology of a serial child predator, it's pretty detailed in that regard. It will raise the hairs on your neck though (and your blood pressure) and probably make you want to punch something. It's saddening and sickening and I wish I didn't have a desire to be so damn informed at times.