[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

DeWalt vs RYOBI

Footballjoe

Is Dewalt considered that much better? I need a new Cordless Drill. Home Depot has both on sale tomorrow that includes

18 volt drill

Circular saw

Flashlight

Reciprocating saw

2 NiCd batteries & charger

RYOBI cost is $129 while the deWalt is $249. RYOBI includes a bag. The dewalt drill says drill / driver.

Thoughts.

Dewalt might not be what it used to be, but it is still far better than Ryobi

Niether is Craftsman. All this stuff is China junk now. Get the Ryobi, get the "replacement" warantee. Once the Ryobi warrantee is over, the HD extended warantee is a REplacement program, not a repair program for anything under $300. Extended REPAIR policies suck, but the REPLACEMENT policies are a good deal. Very cheap to buy as well. Just keep the freakin receipt.

Otherwise, compare the features. Torque, variable speeds, etc. One thing I will say for Ryobi is that their lithium battery technology is better than others. I would avoid any NiCad battery based tools.

:wacko: He is a handyman (former screen name) so he would use it more often.

Well done. Handyman was my screen name the first year I joined the Huddle.

I agree with the comment about Craftman. Their hand tools are still very good but their power tools are not very good IMO. The reason I need another drill is because I own Craftsman. The batteries do not hold a charge long enough and have a short life span. Although I will use the tools more than the avarage homeowner my handyman business is just part time. I want value for the money.

I agree with CD as far as the mechanical engineerring and parts go.... but NiCads suck.

For those who may not know, Milwaukee Tools makes Ryobi. They are a bit like Hsquavarna.... some pro quality tools, some home owner quality tools. So, you have to be careful with both.

NiCads have to be used regularly, and must be completely discharged ftrequently or they develoip a "memory". That kills the run time. Lithiums don't have battery memory. They really don't care if they are stored with a partial charge, and frtequenhcy of use doesn't affect them the way NiCads are affected. NiCads begin to lose power as soon as you operate the tool, lithiums hold the charge and have no power drop off until they are near dead. Lithiums have a longer life span too.

Ideally, a DeWalt with lithiums would be my choice. Althought the DeWalt is a better drill, the battery issue trumps the deal for me.

I agree with CD as far as the mechanical engineerring and parts go.... but NiCads suck.

For those who may not know, Milwaukee Tools makes Ryobi. They are a bit like Hsquavarna.... some pro quality tools, some home owner quality tools. So, you have to be careful with both.

NiCads have to be used regularly, and must be completely discharged ftrequently or they develoip a "memory". That kills the run time. Lithiums don't have battery memory. They really don't care if they are stored with a partial charge, and frtequenhcy of use doesn't affect them the way NiCads are affected. NiCads begin to lose power as soon as you operate the tool, lithiums hold the charge and have no power drop off until they are near dead. Lithiums have a longer life span too.

Ideally, a DeWalt with lithiums would be my choice. Althought the DeWalt is a better drill, the battery issue trumps the deal for me.

You are definitely dead on about the batteries. Most DeWalts use the Lithium batteries. I just looked at that deal in my local paper, and it looks like DeWalt threw the NiCads in there to keep the price down.

If it's me, I pass on both deals. Wait until DeWalt has a package that offers the Lithium batteries with their combo pack.

You are definitely dead on about the batteries. Most DeWalts use the Lithium batteries. I just looked at that deal in my local paper, and it looks like DeWalt threw the NiCads in there to keep the price down.

If it's me, I pass on both deals. Wait until DeWalt has a package that offers the Lithium batteries with their combo pack.

Yes, but the nice thing about the new Dewalt Lithiums....they made them to fit the NiCad tools of the same voltage. IE....the 18 volt Lithiums will fit your 18 volt NiCad tools. Finally.....someone got smart!

Cordless saws are pretty useless without the Li batteries. And even then, they are limited.

All that being said...I'm fine with my NiCads. I have a Dewalt hammerdrill, pin nailer and an angled finish nailer. Love them all and I just replaced my batteries after 6 years of use. If you want to compare the two packages based on battery cost, I had to search high and low to get a good deal on a 2-pack 18V NiCad. The going rate out there is $129 (no charger)....I found the 2-pk for $75 and was elated......lol.

So if I want a Dewalt cordless tool.....I just buy the bare tool. The kits are typically ONE tool you want, and a few things you don't need.

Edited by SteelBunz

Went shopping this morning. HD had a Dewalt combo kit with the lithium batteries for $499. Not going to spend that kind of money. Left HD and ended up at Sears mainly to check on deals for small hand tools. They were not near as crowded as in years past. It might be that they opened up earlier than in the past. Anyhow I was able to speakwith a salesman and he told me if I had the 19.2 volt drill, flashlight and saw it would accept the lithium batteries. Just checked mine. :wacko: So for about $50 I can convert. Never had a problem with the way the tools performed except the batteries.

BTW Home Depot has a nice 4 foot ladder for $17 and some nice tool bags for $10. When I first got to HD the lines at the register were real long. I soon realized that most everyone in line had nothing but pointsettas. They were 99 cents each. I guesss that was the gimmick to get people in the store

I'll never buy Ryobi again, to me it's only a small step above black and decker. If you're using it for your house on the occasional project then it's ok but if you want something to rely on stay away.

Dewalt or Ridgid

IMO Milwakee took a step back too but still better than Ryobi