[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Going to New Orleans on Thursday - Sunday

paulzale

There's a ton of great steak places around the quarter. If you're looking to support local and see a place that has some history then check out Charlie's Steakhouse uptown. It's a straight steakhouse - no frills - limited menu - meat and some sides.

The owner is a great friend of mine.

Charlies

Read up on the menu and the history before going - it's not for everyone. I would say it's a Man's steakhouse.

Edited by twiley

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a ton of great steak places around the quarter. If you're looking to support local and see a place that has some history then check out Charlie's Steakhouse uptown. It's a straight steakhouse - no frills - limited menu - meat and some sides.

Charlies

Read up on the menu and the history before going - it's not for everyone. I would say it's a Man's steakhouse.

PERFECT!!!

Updated with some of your recommendations

Move your street car ride to coincide with your lunch at Cooter Browns. Cooters is a half block off the street car line. Do Mothers the other day as you can then go from there to the Garden district tour.

Charlies

Yup great recommendation. You will want to cab it there unless you are driving your own vehicle down here. May want to cab it anyways.

PERFECT!!!

Here's a pretty good review of the place...

Charlie's Steakhouse is a New Orleans institution. I'm not sure if tourists will understand what Charlie's is all about, so I don't suggest they try.

Charlie's has always been famous for steaks, no menu, poor service and reasonable prices. Post-K and under new ownership some of that has changed. The steaks are still great (actually better), the service is much improved and the prices have gone up.

The decor is not fancy, but it is not supposed to be. It isn't pretentious or fancy, but it is one of my all time favorites.

Ever since they have reopened I have wanted to come and eat, but never had the chance. Recently I went with a large group (8) and had a very memorable experience.

Since we had a large party we called ahead. They took our reservation with no problem. We arrived a little early so we sat at the bar and had some drinks. The hostess was very friendly as was the bartender. Once all of our party arrived we headed upstairs and sat down.

Our waiter, Joe, was awesome. He was friendly and helpful and even tolerant of the newcomers in our party. For those who had been to the old version, you know that the waiters were less than friendly if someone didn't understand the process.

Charlie's has no menu. The website lists what is available, but it is pretty simple.

Steaks - Fillet and T-bone. Both come in multiple sizes, but we opted for the 32 oz. T-bone to share between two. It was more than enough food. My one complaint about the whole meal was that it didn't come out sizzling. I chalk that up to the fact that they were bringing out seven steaks and having them all ready at the same time is hard. The steak was great.

Sides - Wedge salad - his is a 1/4 head of lettuce with their signature blue cheese and onions. This salad is simple, but great. The dressing is quite tart, so if you don't like blue cheese, don't get it.

Onion rings - These are a must order. One order was enough for the whole table. Fried perfectly and piled high, add ketchup and enjoy.

Mushrooms - Loaded with garlic and butter. They were good, but i could have done without them.

Au gratin potatoes - Cheesy heaven. This was just as I remembered and it was great.

Charlie's actually has a wine list and decent beer selection too.

The whole group had our picture taken with the cardboard cutout of Elvis as a perfect end to a great meal.

Our bill was $500. That included wine, beer and the tip. It was well worth it and I cant wait to go back.

In some ways Charlie's has never changed, but in others it is much better.

OK, digesting all of this and only having 3 days I think my plan is the following, but is subject to change:

Thursday:

- Arrival around noon

- Lunch at Port of Call for burgers with a Monsoon

- Walk around and people watch

- Dinner K Paul's w/ reservations confirmed

- Pat O's (Hurricane), Igors (Bloody Marys), Tropical Isle (Hand Grenade), Cat's Meow (Happy Hour Beers), Old Blacksmith's Shop

Friday:

- Breakfast at Cafe DuMonde

- Garden District

- Lunch at Mother's for Po Boy's

- Massages at Spa Atlantis

- Dinner Charlie's, do not take reservations

- Pat O's (Hurricane), Igors (Bloody Marys), Tropical Isle (Hand Grenade), Cat's Meow (Happy Hour Beers), Old Blacksmith's Shop

Saturday:

- Breakfast/Brunch Court of Two Sisters

- Ride the St. Charles St. Street Car

- Lunch at Cooter Brown's to catch a few college games

- Natchez riverboat ride?

- Dinner at Br. B's Bistro w/ confirmed reservation

Updated again, do I need reservations for these restaurants at dinner time?

Edited by paulzale

Looks like you have a pretty good plan set up. Now here is the final thing to know..... You will probably get to about half of all of that. This is New Orleans and things have a way of changing quickly here depending upon your alcohol consumption.

Looks like you have a pretty good plan set up. Now here is the final thing to know..... You will probably get to about half of all of that. This is New Orleans and things have a way of changing quickly here depending upon your alcohol consumption.

This is my worry, looks like a lot of beverages, only concern is the reservations I've made for the following:

Thursday dinner at K-Paul's

Friday afternoon massages

Saturday morning Brunch at 3 sister's

Saturday dinner at Mr. B's

If I can keep my witts about me and don't let my wife know I have a plan it should all go off without a hitch :wacko:

Edited by paulzale

This is my worry, looks like a lot of beverages, only concern is the reservations I've made for the following:

Thursday dinner at K-Paul's

Friday afternoon massages

Saturday morning Brunch at 3 sister's

Saturday dinner at Mr. B's

If I can keep my witts about me and don't let my wife know I have a plan it should all go off without a hitch :wacko:

That should end happy

OK, digesting all of this and only having 3 days I think my plan is the following, but is subject to change:

Thursday:

- Arrival around noon

- Lunch at Port of Call for burgers with a MonsoonMonsoon will put you very lubricated, 2 and forget the agternoon.

- Walk around and people watch

- Dinner K Paul's or AugustAugust

- Pat O's (Hurricane), Igors (Bloody Marys), Tropical Isle (Hand Grenade)Molly's for Bloody Marys

Friday:

- Breakfast at Cafe DuMonde

- Garden District

- Lunch at Mother's for Po Boy'sThere are places just as good without waiting in line for 3-45 min.

- Massages at Spa Atlantis

- Dinner Charlie's

- Pat O's (Hurricane), Igors (Bloody Mary, Tropical Isle (Hand Grenade)

Saturday:

- Breakfast/Brunch Court of Two Sisters

- Ride the St. Charles St. Street Car

- Lunch at Cooter Brown's to catch a few college games

- Natchez riverboat ride?will hook you up

- Dinner at Br. B's Bistro

- Pat O's (Hurricane), Igors (Bloody Mary, Tropical Isle (Hand Grenade)

Stuff in red still looking for recommendations, my stomach is rumbling thinking about tomorrow!

Update from trip for those going in the future:

Thursday:

- Lunch at Port of Call for burgers with a Monsoon Fantastic Burgers, just not the best ever as some said, monsoon was very strong!

- Dinner K Paul's w/ reservations confirmed Very good, just felt it was over priced for what we got

Friday:

- Breakfast at Cafe DuMonde OMG Beneits and coffee are fantastic!

- Garden District Didn't make it here

- Lunch at Mother's for Po Boy'sLine was short (5 minutes), best sandwich I have ever eaten! I think it was the Fergi? Best meal of the weekend for me!

- Massages at Spa Atlantis Great relaxing experience

- Dinner Charlie's, do not take reservations Delicious meal, just what the Dr. order, tons of history too

Saturday:

- Breakfast/Brunch Court of Two Sisters Very Very good with a price to match, nice for a special brunch!

- Ride the St. Charles St. Street Car Didn't get the chance

- Lunch at Cooter Brown's to catch a few college games Amazing how busy we were, didn't do this either

- Natchez riverboat ride Slayer hooked us up and the wife loved it, I enjoyed it too

- Dinner at Br. B's Bistro w/ confirmed reservation Canceled as we wanted to eat later and watch some college football. Tried the Hard Rock and sat there for an hour with no service, then went to some "Harbor" bar, food was below average for bar food, but tons of TV's and cheap beer!

- Pat O's (Hurricane) Very good, a little sweet and strong, Igors (Bloody Marys) Didn't make it here, Tropical Isle (Hand Grenade) Went twice and enjoyed the tart and sweet strong drink!, Cat's Meow (Happy Hour Beers) tried by didn't open until 4 on Saturday???, Old Blacksmith's Shop Never got here

Overall a very enjoyable trip, will be back, food was good to great, just pricey. Special thanks to Slayer for the hookup on the Natchez!