[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who is most deserving of the 2011 NFL MVP?

MTSuper7

2011 NFL MVP  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Who most deserves the 2011 NFL MVP award?

• Aaron Rodgers
    • Drew Brees
    • Tim Tebow
    • Puddy
    • Other

Brees got to throw against the Packer's defense, Rodgers did not.

\I will not vote. My homer vote would just indicate that I am a homer. I do note that the poll is skewed somewhat by not stating Rodgers affirmative case as strongly as Brees', and by making a negative case against only Rodgers.

Both are worthy picks.

Actually, he did mention the interceptions & the loss against St Louis and you need to vote to offset my homer vote. :wacko:

Personally, I think they should be CO-MVP. Both of them have had outstanding seasons and both of them have their negatives. Truthfully though, I think Rodgers will get it & I have little problem with that. If the only personal negative you can find is the game this week then you are drastically underselling Rodgers.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15-1

TD to interception ratio

Record QB rating

Rodgers is phenomenal - he has been amazing to watch this whole year. His accuracy is amazing and nobody throws better and more accurate while moving out of the pocket.

Rodgers deserves the MVP hands down!

Who votes on MVP? Sportswriters? Then I'd guess they'd go Brees. Players, coaches, etc? Probably Rodgers.

I believe it's an Associated Press sponsored award with, supposedly, a nationwide panel of 50 sportswriters and broadcasters voting.

And I agree with you ... if that's the case it'll probably go to Brees.

:wacko:

Tom Brady.

Most homerish pick evah.

Romo had a higher completion percentage and fewer INTs than Tom Terriffic this season. Just sayin'...

And something else I just read that made me do a double take... Alex Smith had the fewest INTs this season of any starting QB (5). :wacko:

Most homerish pick evah.

Romo had a higher completion percentage and fewer INTs than Tom Terriffic this season. Just sayin'...

And something else I just read that made me do a double take... Alex Smith had the fewest INTs this season of any starting QB (5). :wacko:

Not at all. I don't come in here singing the praises of Tom very often.

Let's not forget that he also broke Marino's yardage mark. Brees also threw more INTs than Romo (and Brady).

36 TDs.

Just by TD/INT, Rodgers is much more impressive than both.

All stats. Not how MVP should be judged. How about this fact: Carried the Pats to the #1 seed in the east with the worst statistical defense in the league, one of the worst defenses ever statistically with the forst CB in history ever recorded to give up 1000 yds in receiving playing at their #1 corner spot.

Did all that without a real #1 receiver, losing his starting RT (early), RG (In training camp), C (early), and for portions of the season his starting LT and LG. All done with a RBBC and no enormous talent/threat at that position.

What TB did this season, considering the supporting cast on his team as compared to other candidates and the supporting cast on their teams is not only comparable but downright astounding.

:lol: Romo.....stop it.... :tup:

Edited by Caveman_Nick

Not at all. I don't come in here singing the praises of Tom very often.

Let's not forget that he also broke Marino's yardage mark. Brees also threw more INTs than Romo (and Brady).

36 TDs.

Just by TD/INT, Rodgers is much more impressive than both.

All stats. Not how MVP should be judged. How about this fact: Carried the Pats to the #1 seed in the east with the worst statistical defense in the league, one of the worst defenses ever statistically with the forst CB in history ever recorded to give up 1000 yds in receiving playing at their #1 corner spot.

Did all that without a real #1 receiver, losing his starting RT (early), RG (In training camp), C (early), and for portions of the season his starting LT and LG. All done with a RBBC and no enormous talent/threat at that position.

What TB did this season, considering the supporting cast on his team as compared to other candidates and the supporting cast on their teams is not only comparable but downright astounding.

:tup: Romo.....stop it.... :wacko:

Yeah, I only threw Romo out there for comic effect. By no means was I insinuating that Romo and Brady were in the same class. Yeah, the Patriots' defense is terrible. Then again, Green Bay's defense isn't exactly stout either. And I wouldn't call Lance Moore or Devery Henderson household names, so throwing to "no-names" is something Brees also does. Brady has Welker and Gronk. Brees has Colston and Graham. And everyone else is just kinda meh. Of course, the Saints can run the ball and get their RBs involved in the passing game very well, though I'd argue that New England is also a decent team at involving RBs in the passing game. In the end, Brady is in the elite group, just playing third fiddle to Rodgers and Brees' ridiculous seasons. I do recall Brady having the 3rd best QB rating this year behind Rodgers and Brees...

Throw in my homer vote, Stafford. Everyone expects Brees, Brady, rodgers to have stellar years. NO one expected Stafford to throw for 5000 yds or 40 Td's, 3 games of which were with a messed up throwing finger. Not saying more deserving, just throwing it out there.

Played two games against teams with winning records. Lost to Pittsburgh, lost to the Giants.

yeah, but Rodgers was calling all the plays in the first half. "It's the system" is a very weak argument at best. If it was so easy everyone would be doing it and performing it like Rodgers. By that theory, Brees AND Brady are also replaceable - which mutes any chance Brees has at MVP as well.

I think when your QB2 comes in and sets yardage and TD records for a franchise with the history of the Packers, it's better than "weak". But, if we're talking about weak arguments, how 'bout saying that what Flynn did having anything at all to do with Brees or Brady. Neither of them had their back-ups come in and light up the joint.

I beg of everyone here. I beg you not to say that Rodgers might just be a product of the system because of the game that Flynn had yesterday. Rodgers is a lethal elite qb .

Don't confuse me thinking that Brees might matter more to his team than Rodgers does to his with saying that Rodgers is anything less than a freaking stud QB. And, trust me, this is one of those votes where either choice is absolutely fine. Both had amazing seasons and are totally deserving. And, like I said earlier, I was 100% Rodgers for most of the year. But Brees did come on strong at the end and watching Flynn do what he did has to call into the question the bit about "how good would they be if they lost Rodgers", which we've been taught is supposed to be a big part. They always say, it's not Most Outstanding Player, it's most Valuable player.

So, in a dog fight between two very deserving players, that last week is just enough to tilt the scales, IMO.

I'm not so sure that you can overlook the record that Brees now holds. Marino got into the HOF based partly on that record. Hard not to give the guy that broke it the MVP award.

If Rodgers threw the ball 650 times, he would've had 6000 yds.

Apparently there is a question about it with so many raising questions. I favor the job Rodgers did which was to go 15-1, outdoors, with no running game to speak of, recievers who had the drops all year, and with a rotating offensive line missing the starting left tackle for 10 games, the starting right tackle for a handful, and with a handful of substitutions in the middle of the line. In spite of that he had the top Q.B. rating and lead in yards per attempt.

All that said Brees broke an longstanding and respected record and was uncanningly accurate. I am certain if I looked into it more i would find other factors to bolster his case, I just do not care enough to do so.

In the end the subjective awards do not mean much to me. I am focused on the Lombardi trophy being back home in Green Bay yet again. Without that awards are hollow, and with that I don't really care what else happens.

Still have not voted in this poll.

If Rodgers threw the ball 650 times, he would've had 6000 yds.

And if your Aunt had balls she would be your uncle :wacko:

Exactly!!! Brees has more yards - that is all he has.

Maybe any other year Brees gets it but Rodgers is the MVP this year and there is no question about it.

The fact that it is being debated most certainly shows that there is a question about it.

FWIW, I think that both are phenomenal QBs...I just think that Brees is a bit more deserving...and say what you want about him only having more yards, but the fact is that Brees has more TDs, more yards and this IMO is big, set the all-time completion % record of 71.2%...Getting to 13-0 and finishing 15-1 will most likely secure Rodgers the MVP, but like I said, I just think Brees is a bit more deserving is all...but it isn't a no question about MVP like you suggest it is.

Edited by keggerz

The fact that it is being debated most certainly shows that there is a question about it.

FWIW, I think that both are phenomenal QBs...I just think that Brees is a bit more deserving...and say what you want about him only having more yards, but the fact is that Brees has more TDs, more yards and this IMO is big, set the all-time completion % record of 71.2%...Getting to 13-0 and finishing 15-1 will most likely secure Rodgers the MVP, but like I said, I just think Brees is a bit more deserving is all...but it isn't a no question about MVP like you suggest it is.

If you had to pick a QB to be the man for your team you would pick Brees over Rodgers? Not me - Rodgers in a heart beat.

Counting rushing, Rodgers has 1 more TD than Brees.

I agree both are phenominal QBs. However, Rodgers gets the nod because the TRUE representation of a QB is the QB rating itself. Rodgers was a full 12.5 points higher than Brees. In fact, he got smoked.

Rodgers EASILY would have broken Brady's record of TD's had he played the last game and gone over 5K yards himself. Also, two other players this year went over 5K (with one other breaking the record too) and two ALMOST did, so breaking Marino's record loses a little bit of it's luster because he didn't leave the competition in the dust.

I got this on another forum, but I think it's worth showing:

For me, one thing that puts it in perspective, is when you look at what stats you would have to add to Rodgers' numbers, to make them equal to Brees'. They look like this:

Att	Cmp	 Pct   Yards   Y/Att   TD   Int   Rating155  125   80.6%	 833	 5.4	1	 8	 72.3

Basically it's four terrible games worth of attempts that separate Brees from Rodgers.

And as a GB homer I also say that on top of all that, Brees and Payton were CLEARLY stat padding in the final games. In fact, Brees could have sat on Sunday but curiously he didn't. I think that won't sit well with the voters, IMO.

Edited by tosberg34

I think Sproles has helped Brees more than people think. Those dinks and dunks to Bush a year ago now go to Sproles with much better results. That has loosened the WR's enough to make the difference. Look what his (Sproles) absence has done to Rivers. WR's once open in SD are now well covered. Hmmmmm.

I think Sproles has helped Brees more than people think. Those dinks and dunks to Bush a year ago now go to Sproles with much better results. That has loosened the WR's enough to make the difference. Look what his (Sproles) absence has done to Rivers. WR's once open in SD are now well covered. Hmmmmm.

FWIW: Sproles set the leagues all time yardage record this year. Yeah...AJ Smith is the best person to get us back in the playoffs. :shakeshead: