[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Top 5 Life Defining Albums

cliaz

This question was posed to me during a conference call when we were waiting for everyone else who were running late to join. What are your top 5 albums that you feel impacted you the most and why?

Pink Floyd - Animals: Opened up my eyes to the different classes in our society and made me realize that, while The Wall is a master piece in its own rights, this album is quite possibly the pinnacle of Pink Floyd's catalog.

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream: Essentially defined my early 20s between 1993 - 1998 (and imo one of the greatest albums ever produced)

Type O Negative - October Rust: Brought a 'romantic' (not as in love) level to the music and the lyrics are haunting

Fear Factory - Demanufacture: Introduced me to the fact that you can blend really heavy music with amazing, singing vocals and shaped how I played Bass and helped me to appreciate the level of skill needed for speed/technical metal music

God Lives Underwater - Empty: By far one of the best lyrical albums I've listen to...I would go as far as to say it is poetry read over background music. This album helped me through those rough, early 20 relationship pitfalls. To this day, the track "23" is still one of my all time favorites.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your life is defined by 3 records I've never heard of, no wonder you're not famous.

Which three?

Moran.

:tup:

j/k

:wacko:

Edited by muck

This question was posed to me during a conference call when we were waiting for everyone else who were running late to join. What are your top 5 albums that you feel impacted you the most and why?

Pink Floyd - Animals: Opened up my eyes to the different classes in our society and made me realize that, while The Wall is a master piece in its own rights, this album is quite possibly the pinnacle of Pink Floyd's catalog.

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream: Essentially defined my early 20s between 1993 - 1998 (and imo one of the greatest albums ever produced)

I have listened to those two so much. both are in my top albums. Animals is Floyd's best album, IMO. (you gotta be able to pick up the easy meat, WITH YOUR EYES CLOSED!) Sheep is probably my favorite song on the album.

There is aot of feeling in Siamese Dream, so much that Smashing Pumpkins could never duplicate it in anything else they have written. "Space Boy I miss you, spinning 'round in my head". From track 7 til the end of the album is killer. :wacko:

I have listened to those two so much. both are in my top albums. Animals is Floyd's best album, IMO. (you gotta be able to pick up the easy meat, WITH YOUR EYES CLOSED!) Sheep is probably my favorite song on the album.

There is aot of feeling in Siamese Dream, so much that Smashing Pumpkins could never duplicate it in anything else they have written. "Space Boy I miss you, spinning 'round in my head". From track 7 til the end of the album is killer. :wacko:

Animals is my close second favorite, Meddle is my favorite. I love that album from start to finish.

I know the others you posted, unlike the cretins before.

I would list for me at a minimum:

Motley Crue - Shout at the Devil - More so than any other 80's rock album, this and GnR Appetite for Destruction pushed me into the realm of good music. Shout at the Devil has a raw energy that made 80's metal great.

Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique - Who knew that the Beastie's could get you laid after Licensed to Ill. The womenses in college ate this Athena up.

Grateful Dead - Steal Your Face - Amazing album. Just fits the mood sometimes and makes the whole world better.

Jane's Addiction - Ritual de lo Habitual - What a change in musical style. When I first saw these guys at Lollapalooza with RHCP, Butthole Surfers, etc, it was amazing. They defined the late 80's early 90's music that formed the formative years of my life. I still sing along to every song to the chagrin of my kids.

Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind - The sugar that got me hooked on Maiden, Pantera, Metallica, all the greats. Outstanding album from start to finish. IMO, Maiden still holds up today and I love introducing the younger generation to rock that doesn't suck.

As a kid, I listed to whole records at a sitting ... now, it's pretty limited to a song here and a song there ...

:wacko:

I've found my music consumption absolutely nose-dived after having kids.

Animals is Floyd's best album, IMO.

Animals is my close second favorite, Meddle is my favorite. I love that album from start to finish.

Absolute coin flip for me. I might concede Animals has better songs, but Meddle has more atmosphere.

Absolute coin flip for me. I might concede Animals has better songs, but Meddle has more atmosphere.

As I've aged, this is the Floyd record that remains in the rotation more than any of the others. (possible exception, side 2 of DSOTM).

Gonna have to go 10...

The Cure - Disintegration

Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking

Guns N Roses - Appetite For Destruction

Def Leppard - Hysteria

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream

Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine

Radiohead - The Bends

Maxwell - Urban Hang Suite

U2 - The Joshua Tree

The Cult - Love

I know the others you posted, unlike the cretins before.

I would list for me at a minimum:

Jane's Addiction - Ritual de lo Habitual - What a change in musical style. When I first saw these guys at Lollapalooza with RHCP, Butthole Surfers, etc, it was amazing. They defined the late 80's early 90's music that formed the formative years of my life. I still sing along to every song to the chagrin of my kids.

Meddle is definately a very close second, if not a tie.

Nothing's Shocking and Ritual both entered my mind immediately, and I also like XXX Live, therefore I didn't mention any of them. I would say that all in all Jane's was my favorite band in High School. Oh the memories ... and i know the sister of the lead singer (Gibby) for the butthole surfers. she gave me and Scooby an update that he is a great father (his sister lives in Longview).

Edited by Scooby's Hubby

I can't really think of too many "life-changing" albums....there were some "taste-changers":

Metal Massacre V - Metal Blade compilation, my first real introduction to thrash. Really made me take a hard turn from the Priest/Maiden type stuff

Megadeth Peace Sells...But Who's Buying? - this one may actually qualify as a life-changer - as stupid as it may sound to say about an album you first heard when you were twelve, the title track probably is still the tidiest encapsulation of my world-view I can think of ("whaddaya mean I don't pay my bills? Why do you think I'm broke!")

Soundgarden Badmotorfinger - this is probably THE album that is responsible for broadening my musical worldview from "metal" to "and other stuff" - sure, SG were metal-ish enough, but they weren't METAL metal. Led me down the path into alternative music...well, that and going off to college.

The Chemical Brothers Dig Your Own Hole - similar to Badmotorfinger this was the lightbulb moment of going from "man, f*ck that electronica stuff" to "whoa, wait, what? This is GREAT!"

Dwight Yoakam Tomorrow's Sounds Today - again, another one where I was down on a genre and then heard something that perked my ears up right away.

My list of "favorite" or "best" albums would probably contain one or two of these...but these aren't necessarily my "favorites" just ones that are important to what I like in music.

I can't really think of too many "life-changing" albums....there were some "taste-changers":

Megadeth Peace Sells...But Who's Buying? - this one may actually qualify as a life-changer - as stupid as it may sound to say about an album you first heard when you were twelve, the title track probably is still the tidiest encapsulation of my world-view I can think of ("whaddaya mean I don't pay my bills? Why do you think I'm broke!")

In My Darkest Hour - Killer song.

Yeah, I tend to agree. Not life changing really, but broadening.

Just when I was thinking music was dying on it's feet, along came:

Never Mind The Bollocks - The Sex Pistols

The Clash's first album

Unknown Pleasures - Joy Division

IV Rattus Norvegicus - The Stranglers

Motorhead's first album

Years later, Clutch, Social Distortion and a bunch of others persuaded me that despite the dominance of ©rap, there's still some good stuff to be had out there.

My list of "favorite" or "best" albums would probably contain one or two of these...but these aren't necessarily my "favorites" just ones that are important to what I like in music.

I go with Chavez and his way of thinking. Not really "life-changing" but more like music direction albums.

Kind Of Blue - Miles

Young Man Mose - Mose Allison

Days Of Future Passed - Moody Blues

Albatross - Fleetwood Mac

The Great John Lee Hooker - John Lee Hooker

The Immortal Hank Williams - Hank Williams

Looking at what others have posted.... it has just dawned on me that I am living in a world of kids.

Gonna have to go 10...

The Cure - Disintegration

Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking

Guns N Roses - Appetite For Destruction

Def Leppard - Hysteria

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream

Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine

Radiohead - The Bends

Maxwell - Urban Hang Suite

U2 - The Joshua Tree

The Cult - Love

Have very fond memories of these three. Still listen to Hysteria nearly every week and it's always hairband rock to work in the yard or garage.

Recent clip from tv show Criminal Minds stated that we form our most cherished ties with music around age 14. Bolded albums were all released in 1987 when I was 16. Must have been a late bloomer.

1A. Pink Floyd - Wish You were Here. The title song have a Cigar, welcome to the machine. Good grief its amazing.

1B. Pink Floyd The Final Cut - The most under rated album in rock history. Two suns in the sunset might be their finest work.

2. Pink Floyd The Wall, nothing to be said here, just amazing.

3. CCR Chronicle volume 1 & 2. I know that's technically a compilation but it the most influential songs by one of the greatest bands ever.

4. The Eagles - Their Greatest Hits (1971–1975)

5. The Seldom Scene - Live from the cellar door. The greatest progressive bluegrass (acid grass) album of all time.

un numbered. The Band - The Last Waltz. If you haven't listened to this you're not an American.

I remember really enjoying this one...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pisces_Iscariot

I remember really enjoying this one...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pisces_Iscariot

that is one I will have to go re-buy, I lost my old copy. I think someone borrowed it and never gavie it back (old girlfriend so I really didn;t ask for it back, I was happy just to not have to see her again). :wacko:

Now that I think about it, we still have a used music shop in town, I am gonna have to go pay a visit and try to get some deals.

1A. Pink Floyd - Wish You were Here. The title song have a Cigar, welcome to the machine. Good grief its amazing.

1B. Pink Floyd The Final Cut - The most under rated album in rock history. Two suns in the sunset might be their finest work.

2. Pink Floyd The Wall, nothing to be said here, just amazing.

3. CCR Chronicle volume 1 & 2. I know that's technically a compilation but it the most influential songs by one of the greatest bands ever.

4. The Eagles - Their Greatest Hits (1971–1975)

5. The Seldom Scene - Live from the cellar door. The greatest progressive bluegrass (acid grass) album of all time.

un numbered. The Band - The Last Waltz. If you haven't listened to this you're not an American.

I agree that Wish You Were here is Pink Floyd's best work.

I find it ironic that if you have not listened to a Canadian Band you are not American, yet I agree.

I know not The Seldom Scene. I will have to investigate. I like Old and in the Way very much so who knows.

I remember rummaging through the $5 bin in the ships store while out to sea and stumbled upon this cassette. I eventually wore it out.