[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Peyton Mannings has received clearance to play

tazinib1

Whats the neck have to do with arm strength? He can still walk o.k.

Well, he doesn't throw the football with his legs.

Damage to nerves in his neck has caused weakness in his throwing arm (to his tricep in particular I believe.) The question with Manning is will he regain the necessary strength in his arm to throw the football the way that it needs to be thrown. This involves healing of the nerves and muscles and their response to rehabilitation.

I doubt that Manning divulged the story to the media. But it was done either at Manning's instruction or, at a minimum, with Manning's permission.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The saga continues:

Colts owner Jim Irsay tweeted early Friday morning: “Peyton has not passed our physical nor has he been cleared to play for The Indianapolis Colts. Team statement coming on Friday.”

Irsay has maintained this week that his decision on Manning — who’s owed a $28 million bonus March 8 – is based first on the QB’s medical condition. To that end, Irsay has said there’s still much uncertainty in the equation.

Irsay is referring to the question that remains unanswered: Will Manning’s arm strength return?

“The nerve has been the issue for months, not the neck,” NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora said. “I’ve talked to people in the Colts’ organization who said, ‘We’re not going to respond to the report, because we don’t see any news in it.’ … There are times where he has tingling, has the wrong sensations, he can’t grip the ball, throw the ball with velocity. There is no consistency there.”

from nfl.com

Well, he doesn't throw the football with his legs.

Damage to nerves in his neck has caused weakness in his throwing arm (to his tricep in particular I believe.) The question with Manning is will he regain the necessary strength in his arm to throw the football the way that it needs to be thrown. This involves healing of the nerves and muscles and their response to rehabilitation.

I doubt that Manning divulged the story to the media. But it was done either at Manning's instruction or, at a minimum, with Manning's permission.

Not only that, but I would imagine there is a lot of muscle memory involved in throwing motion which could affect his accuracy as well.

I think that this statement from the Fantasy Player News is inaccurate:

Now the next question is where Manning will play.

at least until its demonstrated that Manning can still throw the ball like an NFL QB. I'm sure that everyone will know if/when this is the case.

Peyton Favre.

Still waiting on the whole nerve regeneration thing to take. You know, the whole issue that may keep him from playing again? So much for Manning not wanting the week leading up to the SB to be about him.

Riduculous statement, Peyton has tons more class than Favre.

The saga continues:

Colts owner Jim Irsay tweeted early Friday morning: “Peyton has not passed our physical nor has he been cleared to play for The Indianapolis Colts. Team statement coming on Friday.”

Irsay has maintained this week that his decision on Manning — who’s owed a $28 million bonus March 8 – is based first on the QB’s medical condition. To that end, Irsay has said there’s still much uncertainty in the equation.

Irsay is referring to the question that remains unanswered: Will Manning’s arm strength return?

“The nerve has been the issue for months, not the neck,” NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora said. “I’ve talked to people in the Colts’ organization who said, ‘We’re not going to respond to the report, because we don’t see any news in it.’ … There are times where he has tingling, has the wrong sensations, he can’t grip the ball, throw the ball with velocity. There is no consistency there.”

from nfl.com

Of course Colts doctors haven't cleared him, because Isray has told them not to. I'm sure this is Peyton's private doctor making the call. Why would he care what the Colts say, they've made it clear he'll be gone ASAP. Isray needs to put his twitter BS aside, he's looking like a fool.

Riduculous statement, Peyton has tons more class than Favre.

Personally I think he negotiated his last contract in bad faith and essentially robbed the Colts of his 26 million dollar salary this past season. You will never convince me that a guy who still can't play today believed in good faith that he was going to be able to play last season. I think he never intended to fulfill the terms of the contract, yet he entered into it and accepted boatloads of cash under it. Now that very contract which he did not play under is the thing that has the Colts organization in a bind. He used his carefully sculpted good guy image with the fans to get 26 million and to get his way this coming year. He played his owner using his popularity. I would not call that classy.

I fully understand that many will come in and state that this is all supposition, that I don't know this for a fact. That is correct. I do not know this for a fact. I think this. I believe this. My belief is based upon the observable fact that he did not play a down due to his health. He is and was aware of the status of his helath at the time he made the deal. I do not accept that he could have been this deluded about the status of his health.

If you don't think this was done on purpose, during the week where EVERY important decision maker for EVERY NFL team is in town, you are extremely naive.
And you "know" that Manning is behind it because-? The media are the ones all too happy to pester everyone and their mother about this to death and jabber about it endlessly on every TV/radio/internet forum they can, SB or no. It's not like the SB hasn't already gotten tons of attention and micro-analyzed from 1000 diff angles as it does every year.

My point is, if Manning is as classy and respectful of the Colts as all of his nut-huggers say he is, then he doesn't do it this week
And again you know Manning is "orchestrating" all this because......? Or did you just assume it so you'd have something to hang your Manning hate on? PS I'm sure the media barking in his face 24/7 isn't exactly helping.

He is and was aware of the status of his helath at the time he made the deal. I do not accept that he could have been this deluded about the status of his health.

Why does he have to be "deluded?" Could it possibly be that the doctors simply couldn't say for certain at the time what his long-term prognosis was? He is supposed to be some medical genius who can look into the future now as well?

Manning haters :wacko: "He sucks because.......um.....well because I think this is true despite a total lack of evidence!"

And lol @ the "Manning = Favre." Talk to me when he retires/unretires for several years in a row.

Edited by BeeR

And you "know" that Manning is behind it because-? The media are the ones all too happy to pester everyone and their mother about this to death and jabber about it endlessly on every TV/radio/internet forum they can, SB or no. It's not like the SB hasn't already gotten tons of attention and micro-analyzed from 1000 diff angles as it does every year.

And again you know Manning is "orchestrating" all this because......? Or did you just assume it so you'd have something to hang your Manning hate on? PS I'm sure the media barking in his face 24/7 isn't exactly helping.

Why does he have to be "deluded?" Could it possibly be that the doctors simply couldn't say for certain at the time what his long-term prognosis was? He is supposed to be some medical genius who can look into the future now as well?

Manning haters :wacko: "He sucks because.......um.....well because I think this is true despite a total lack of evidence!"

And lol @ the "Manning = Favre." Talk to me when he retires/unretires for several years in a row.

I am not a Manning Hater. I do believe he fully understood the condition of his own body, given, you know, that he was living in it and he was in constant contact with his physicians. Its just an opinion, don't let it throw you.

Personally I think he negotiated his last contract in bad faith and essentially robbed the Colts of his 26 million dollar salary this past season. You will never convince me that a guy who still can't play today believed in good faith that he was going to be able to play last season. I think he never intended to fulfill the terms of the contract, yet he entered into it and accepted boatloads of cash under it. Now that very contract which he did not play under is the thing that has the Colts organization in a bind. He used his carefully sculpted good guy image with the fans to get 26 million and to get his way this coming year. He played his owner using his popularity. I would not call that classy.

I fully understand that many will come in and state that this is all supposition, that I don't know this for a fact. That is correct. I do not know this for a fact. I think this. I believe this. My belief is based upon the observable fact that he did not play a down due to his health. He is and was aware of the status of his helath at the time he made the deal. I do not accept that he could have been this deluded about the status of his health.

I actually agree with every bit of this.

Agree with this, and definitely contributes to the whole chain of events that bring us to this point. And starts to chip away at the "classy" Peyton Manning.

I agree with this also.

That's one of the reasons I don't believe the Colts owe him anything. Manning got paid. That's all he's ever been owed....a paycheck.

PS maybe it's Irsay, not Manning, who has become the attention hog:

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth

If you like rock n roll I don't recommend clicking the play button. :wacko:

Irsay is exhibiting some disturbing similarities to Jerry Jones. The development puzzles me as he seemed for a long time to be a failry reserved owner. Perhaps I never really saw it and it has always been there, but it seems to me he is putting himself forward more and more each year. I found his recent use of the expression "the Horseshoe" to refer to the franchise to be right out of Jones use of the term "the Star", as if the emblem and the franchise was hallowed. I was put off by the expression.

I agree with this also.

That's one of the reasons I don't believe the Colts owe him anything. Manning got paid. That's all he's ever been owed....a paycheck.

Irsay is exhibiting some disturbing similarities to Jerry Jones. The development puzzles me as he seemed for a long time to be a failry reserved owner. Perhaps I never really saw it and it has always been there, but it seems to me he is putting himself forward more and more each year. I found his recent use of the expression "the Horseshoe" to refer to the franchise to be right out of Jones use of the term "the Star", as if the emblem and the franchise was hallowed. I was put off by the expression.

Agree on all counts. :wacko: Worrisome.

Irsay is realizing that the only reason the Indianapolis Colts are relevant are because of Manning. And he got burned by Manning and Tobin. Which means, he's trying to save face for getting screwed by Manning to the tune of $26M, and trying to build up the Colts as a heavy hitter in the NFL.

And now he's lashing out with bravado. The reality is this: the city of Indianapolis is damn lucky they had Manning for the time they did.

Edited by Chief Dick

I don't understand this. If Peyton doesn't play, its going to be because of his health. The colts would have certainly looked into his health when they offered him his contract. If Peyton is not on the team, it is because the Colts will have cut him. So again, I don't get it.

I find people attacking Mannings integrity pretty hilarious. His lawyer/agent is a genius, and that is all there is to it.

There is a lot of speculation that the Colts didn't check up on Manning before his contract. That seems beyond asinine. Did the colts ever come out and say, "ummm yea, we actually Oprahed up..." I assume they didn't because then you would realize that they, self admittedly no less, OprahED UP.

It seems way more likely that both parties thought there was a strong chance he would be ready to play. Its not like Manning has ever had to deal with an injury before.

I respectfully disagree.

Nerve damage is a funny thing to try and predict. All the doctors were saying he would be fine when he signed that contract, but the nerves just didnt respond. No injury/recovery is 100% guaranteed.

I think (as my opinion) that he negotiated and signed in good faith fuilly expecting to be healed and playing football by now. The hindsight fact that he is the exception where his neck has NOT responded to the surgeries is a result that neither Irsay and his team of doctors or Manning wanted.

bad situation for all parties involved. manning sure wants to play, but cant. Irsay cant be happy about shelling out over 20 million for a guy that didnt play, and the team sure wasnt happy losing a ton of games this year by failing to get an adequate backup plan in case manning didnt heal.

Going into negotions Irsay said he was wanting to make Manning the highest paid player in the league. Manning asked his agent to take less because of the uncertainty of his injury. So Irsay just matched Brady's contract instead of one upping it. Supposedly the 28 million signing bonus due in March was done instead of all up front because Manning or the team were not completely sure of what his staus would be.

That could have all been PR spin though.