[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone gotta problem with this?

SEC=UGA

(CBS News) MILLEDGEVILLE, Ga. - A six-year-old kindergarten student who threw a tantrum was placed in handcuffs for her safety, police said.

According to CBS Affiliate WMAZ, kindergartner Salecia Johnson is accused in a police report of tearing items off the walls and throwing furniture at Creekside Elementary School last Friday. The report also said the girl knocked over a shelf, injuring the principal.

She was crying in the principal's office at Creekside Elementary before police arrived Friday. The report says when the officer tried to calm the child, she resisted.

She was handcuffed and taken to the police station, where she was charged with simple assault and damage to property, reports WMAZ correspondent Judy Le.

Speaking to WMAZ, Milledgeville Chief of Police Dray Swicord defended putting the girl into handcuffs.

"Our policy states that any detainee transported to our station in a patrol vehicle is to be handcuffed in the back. There is no age discrimination on that rule," he said.

Because of her age, she will not have to go to court.

Salecia's father, Earnest Johnson, told WMAZ, "A six-year-old in kindergarten! They don't have no business calling the police and handcuffing my child."

Police said they tried to contact Johnson's mother, Constance Ruff, but were unable to reach her.

Ruff told WMAZ her daughter was suspended and cannot return to school until August. "She has mood swings some days - all of us have mood swings some days," Ruff said. "I guess that was just one of her bad days."

WMAZ's Le spoke with several other Central Georgia police and sheriff's departments, none of which could remember handcuffing a child that young. They said the use of handcuffs is at the officer's discretion, based on whether the child is a threat to herself or to others.

Salecia's aunt told WMAZ, "She might have misbehaved, but I don't think she misbehaved to the point where she should have been handcuffed and taken downtown to the police department."

according to the story the kid already injured somebody so that dismisses the notion that a 6 year old cant hurt anyone. I think any parent would be upset to hear their kid got cuffed at that age but given the circumstances it didnt seem like a bad call to restrain and cuff the kid

according to the story the kid already injured somebody so that dismisses the notion that a 6 year old cant hurt anyone. I think any parent would be upset to hear their kid got cuffed at that age but given the circumstances it didnt seem like a bad call to restrain and cuff the kid

Baloney. It's a six-year old without a gun. If you can't control a six-year old, you shouldn't be a police officer. Period.

Baloney. It's a six-year old without a gun. If you can't control a six-year old, you shouldn't be a police officer. Period.

What could possibly be a more humane way to restrain someone who won't stop resisting than handcuffs? If the kid is throwing things, injuring people and won't calm down, then you don't have a lot of choices to respond to it humanely besides that....

To me the problem is that she should in no way be charged, but it's probably likely that the juvenile courts will end up requiring counselling (I know they did when me and my friends got in trouble as kids, and is probably more appropriate here).

I'm far mroe concerned about the cops who shoot first and asking questions later and taze anyone who remotely questions them.

That is the easiest way to restrain the kid I suppose. The cop was in a no win situation IMO. You grab the kid forcibly and he gets a black n blue and the cop is screwed. You cuff him-the cop is screwed. I dont disagree that the cop could have restrained the kid without the cuffs but the kid was beyong reason and flipping out. How do you suggest he restrain him that wouldnt get anyones feathers ruffled ?

well he probebly would have gotten in more trouble if he had restrained the child. sad but true.

Exactly. And if he hadn't restrained her and she subsequently went on and injured herself or someone else, the cop would be blamed for that too.

That is the easiest way to restrain the kid I suppose. The cop was in a no win situation IMO. You grab the kid forcibly and he gets a black n blue and the cop is screwed. You cuff him-the cop is screwed. I dont disagree that the cop could have restrained the kid without the cuffs but the kid was beyong reason and flipping out. How do you suggest he restrain him that wouldnt get anyones feathers ruffled ?

Why ,you speak softly to them and give them whatever they want of course. :rolleyes:

How do you suggest he restrain him that wouldnt get anyones feathers ruffled ?

"She was crying in the principal's office at Creekside Elementary before police arrived Friday. The report says when the officer tried to calm the child, she resisted."

I'll say it again: If you can't control a six-year old, you shouldn't be a police officer.

If you people seriously can't come up with a list of ways to mollify a six-year old girl throwing a temper tantrum that doesn't involve handcuffing them, then I don't know what to tell you people. It was probably a gut decision by the cop, and it's probably going to result in a lawsuit much larger than if they had just placed their hands on her shoulder and told her what was what.

The only part of the story that I have a problem with is this quote:

"She has mood swings some days - all of us have mood swings some days," Ruff said. "I guess that was just one of her bad days."

If this little girl somehow injured another Kindergarten kid because of one of her "mood swings" and the parents just blew it off as "having a bad day" I would be furious! But of course they have to defend their little angel no matter how out of control she gets. Take some responsbility for your obvious failures as a parent, instead of lashing out at the police who are just trying to protect people (including your kid).

"She was crying in the principal's office at Creekside Elementary before police arrived Friday. The report says when the officer tried to calm the child, she resisted."

I'll say it again: If you can't control a six-year old, you shouldn't be a police officer.

If you people seriously can't come up with a list of ways to mollify a six-year old girl throwing a temper tantrum that doesn't involve handcuffing them, then I don't know what to tell you people. It was probably a gut decision by the cop, and it's probably going to result in a lawsuit much larger than if they had just placed their hands on her shoulder and told her what was what.

have youever watch a six year old run as fast as they can and slam thier head into the wall.... get up and do it agian.... and agian until they knock themselves out....

have youever watch a six year old run as fast as they can and slam thier head into the wall.... get up and do it agian.... and agian until they knock themselves out....

Right, so let's absolve the cop of any responsibility of handling the situation in a manner that wasn't professional.

Edited by godtomsatan

Like others said, a no win situation for a cop.

I remember a similar story recently where the child (8 at most) wouldn't do as they were told by people in the school, and when they (or the police) tried to restrain the child people wanted to crucify them for it.

It many cases its because they have no discipline at home, so they do what they want. Used to be mostly with older kids, but gets worse (younger) as time goes on.

How about they just slip the kid a knock out pill and call the parents to come pick up their little angel.

The only part of the story that I have a problem with is this quote:

"She has mood swings some days - all of us have mood swings some days," Ruff said. "I guess that was just one of her bad days."

If this little girl somehow injured another Kindergarten kid because of one of her "mood swings" and the parents just blew it off as "having a bad day" I would be furious! But of course they have to defend their little angel no matter how out of control she gets. Take some responsbility for your obvious failures as a parent, instead of lashing out at the police who are just trying to protect people (including your kid).

correct answer

Shrink wrap

Perhaps you would enlighten as as to how you would handlke the situation?

When growing up, I played shortstop. In order to help me learn to not be afraid of the ball and to teach me how to keep the ball in front of me with my body, the old man would occasionall tie my hands behind my back and slap grounders my way. 33 years later I still see it as quality time with my Dad but I understand why the neighbors called the cops.