[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Please warn your family and friends about this!

Lady.hawke

My daughter fell asleep on the freeway Sunday afternoon. Here is what she just posted on Facebook:

"I wasn't going to post about this but a very smart relative (thank you Aunt Susan) reminded me it was an important opportunity to to remind people not to drive while TIRED. This is the aftermath of my car. I was lucky to walk away with some bruises and scratches and even more blessed I didn't hurt anyone else in the process. We're constantly reminded not to drink and drive, please take a moment to remind your family and friends not to drive while sleepy/tired/etc."

560137_397585596946510_1851708411_n.jpg

Edited by Lady.hawke

Thank you DMD, for posting a link to the photo. I am so lucky and blessed that I feel that the very least I can do is warn others.

It seems that she fell asleep, left the freeway and travelled up a hill towards an overpass. She crashed into the overpass support and the bridge and then travelled downward back to the freeway, She probably hit other things related to the road - but not another car.

There may be things as bad as drunk driving, as she said. Please pass this on.

Edited by Lady.hawke

I've been in that state once or twice, on long trips. Pretty scary when you feel like you can barely keep your eyes open and you're still 30 miles from the hotel. Really glad your daughter is okay.

Until there's an official name and group formed to oppose it, ideally with a slick acronym, I can't be bothered.

H.A.S.D.

The Huddlers Against Sleeping Drivers have been working tirelessly to make sure that people know that we oppose people who fall asleep at the wheel. We appreciate the fact that Lady.hawke came here to warn others of this possibility, and are extremely happy to know her daughter is ok.

One night when I was coming back from college Spring Break, the previous nights of partying had me completely tired and hungover driving home. Luckily my brother was driving behind me, and so when I couldn't go any further, I finally called him up and made the decision to leave my car for the night and jump in with him.

The next morning, I was woken with the worst call I've ever gotten, that one of my good friends was not so lucky, and actually did fall asleep at the wheel, ran into a semi and it killed him.... Obviously it was completely devastating to lose a good friend, but it still freaks me out every time I drive tired how close that was to being me.

Now I'll stop at a hotel even 30 minutes from home or sleep in my car, because it's simply not worth it. The ironic thing is that I can never sleep when I'm riding passenger though...

Edited by delusions of granduer

Glad to hear she is OK.

Same thing almost happened to me, years ago when I was about 19 or 20. I worked graveyard shift in South Lake Tahoe, and after work decided to drive down to the Bay Area (about 3-1/2 hours). About halfway there, I was in the fast lane doing about 75, and the next thing I knew I was driving off the shoulder of the road after going through 5 lanes. I barely avoided slamming into a fence and was able to get back to safety, but another second or two and it would've been ugly. I have never driven while that tired again.

I was this tired recently; had to pull over in the parking lot of a convenience store for a nap at 2am...and again at 4am...and again the next afternoon at 2pm. Finally got home after driving 28 of 33 hours...slept for five along the way... That was about two weeks ago, and my body is still recovering. I'm getting OLD!

Sorry, but if I'm driving we make good time. If my wife is, we drive slower and stop every freaking hour to let the dogs out(who are neither too young nor too old to be able to hold it). If that means I take a few of you out because I fall asleep, so be it. Collateral damage.

One night when I was coming back from college Spring Break, the previous nights of partying had me completely tired and hungover driving home. Luckily my brother was driving behind me, and so when I couldn't go any further, I finally called him up and made the decision to leave my car for the night and jump in with him.

The next morning, I was woken with the worst call I've ever gotten, that one of my good friends was not so lucky, and actually did fall asleep at the wheel, ran into a semi and it killed him.... Obviously it was completely devastating to lose a good friend, but it still freaks me out every time I drive tired how close that was to being me.

Now I'll stop at a hotel even 30 minutes from home or sleep in my car, because it's simply not worth it. The ironic thing is that I can never sleep when I'm riding passenger though...

You didn't go to Clemson did you? My cousin did this exact thing back around 2000 or so. Was driving home from Clemson with the cruise set, fell asleep and ran into the back of the semi. My Dad, seeing how his brother losing his son affected him, was waaaaaay different toward me for quite a while after that.

LH, glad she's OK.

Glad she's ok, she and all other vehicles on nearby roads are lucky this didn't go worse.

Just like while impaired, texting, or otherwise distracted, there is a lot of risk not just for the driver but others on the road.

We've probably all driven when we were tired, and should have stopped for a break. If you keep nodding off while driving, pull over for the night or at least a couple of hours to rest.

You didn't go to Clemson did you? My cousin did this exact thing back around 2000 or so. Was driving home from Clemson with the cruise set, fell asleep and ran into the back of the semi. My Dad, seeing how his brother losing his son affected him, was waaaaaay different toward me for quite a while after that.

LH, glad she's OK.

That raises another point, if you're driving and tired and dozing off, probably best to turn the cruise off and use the gas pedal. Anything that keeps your more invovled will help, and it reduces the chance that you fall asleep and are still going 70+ MPH.

LH, glad she's OK.

Na, we both went to UGA.... I almost fell asleep on 316 to Athens (actually flipped my jeep over twice and totalled it on that same road. Stoplights on highways have unintended consequences, as does swerving before you brake in an SUV). But he fell asleep going down the most boring stretch of road in GA, I-16 coming back from Statesboro. The road is completely straight and flat with barely any signs of civilization for a couple hours.

That raises another point, if you're driving and tired and dozing off, probably best to turn the cruise off and use the gas pedal. Anything that keeps your more invovled will help, and it reduces the chance that you fall asleep and are still going 70+ MPH.

Yes, if it's cold, I'll just tough it out and ride with my window open. Running the heat will only make you more tired, whereas the cold will help keep you up... And definitely, finding something to keep your attention and not looking at the clock are both key.

Edited by delusions of granduer

Na, we both went to UGA.... I almost fell asleep on 316 to Athens (actually flipped my jeep over twice and totalled it on that same road. Stoplights on highways have unintended consequences, as does swerving before you brake in an SUV). But he fell asleep going down the most boring stretch of road in GA, I-16 coming back from Statesboro. The road is completely straight and flat with barely any signs of civilization for a couple hours.

Yes, if it's cold, I'll just tough it out and ride with my window open. Running the heat will only make you more tired, whereas the cold will help keep you up... And definitely, finding something to keep your attention and not looking at the clock are both key.

I usually get drunk and chain smoke on I-16... Keeps me awake.