[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Magizines or Cheet sheats

dj80d

Can't get much better than the one here at the Huddle. Although I rather enjoy producing and using my own as well. AVoid using magazines altogether, other than just reading to get fired up in early June.

cheat sheet. magazines are a waste of money with all the online sources now. make your own spread sheet and update it as you do your research. you can personalize it to your league scoring and your own opinions.

Just read TheHuddle and listen to a podcast or too and you should be good to go. I recomend TheFootballGuys as a podcast, entertaining and informative

EDIT: Official name of podcast is The Fantasy Football Guys

Edited by bostonsoxandy

my oldest league ( about 20 yrs , a 10 teamer) at least 5 guys show up with magazines , Its the reason i stay in the league, dead money!

Were you trying to say,"Straight cash Homey!" Oh and I couldn't agree more. I love when guys show up with magazines. I actually buy some magazines myself and leave them on a table a draft with the hope that some of the guys come in and use them. Works every time.

Some magazines are useless some are not. I usually buy two mags every year and use an abundance of online resources. Im leaning toward going strictly online though. I like the mags with mock drafts, its neat to see how others draft, and where players might get drafted. All of the resources i use are to formulate my own rankings and cheat sheets. Using mags have never brought me down, like others have said. In championships and at least playoffs pretty much every year.

Some magazines are useless some are not. I usually buy two mags every year and use an abundance of online resources. Im leaning toward going strictly online though. I like the mags with mock drafts, its neat to see how others draft, and where players might get drafted. All of the resources i use are to formulate my own rankings and cheat sheets. Using mags have never brought me down, like others have said. In championships and at least playoffs pretty much every year.

Care to elaborate and tell us which ones are not useless?

I haven't looked at one many years, and figured they're still pretty much the same, outdated information assembled in May-June, that is pretty worthless during the drafts held in August or even Sept., after all the camps, pre-season games, etc.

I use the huddle cheat sheets, as well as some from other sites, ADP info, etc.

We do still have one guy that brings a magazine to the draft every year, and he claims it is only to have lists of players, etc. But his drafting reflects that he really doesn't look at other sources that much and just uses his gut and the magazine (neither of which have brought him much success).

But if you're talking about cheatsheets, then going to multiple sources just creates white noise. Taking ranked lists of players from various sources and averaging them out is just a recipe for being middle of the pack.

So, there seems to be only two reasonable tactics:

1) Go to a site that you feel is reputable and up to date and just pick the guys they say you should editing perhaps to get guys you like (it is your team, afterall) or what not. Not a bad way to go if you don't want to put the time in. You may end up picking guys relatively high that you have no idea why you should be, but there's a pretty good chance you'll be back here thanking The Huddle for turning you on to the pick. (William Green not withstanding :sad: )

2) Don't rely on any published cheat sheets and, instead, read the indepth reasons for why this or that website ranks guys where they do and then decide which arguments you feel hold water and which don't. Are they making too big a deal about Matthews injury issues? Not a big enough deal of them? Then make your own rankings accordingly.

The only thing I can imagine one can gleen from comparing cheat sheets is determining who the no-brainer picks are. But do you really need to be told that Foster, Rice, McCoy, Rodgers, and Megatron are at the top of everyone's list?

I definitely do not advise that someone, look at multiple cheatsheets and simply average them out. The only thing i use others cheat sheets for is to simply cross off names as they get drafted. I like to get a variety of opinions on guys, and decide for myself where to rank them and create my own cheat sheets, according to the scoring systems in my various leagues. I much prefer strategy 2 that you have listed. I like to know why i chose julio jones over aj green.

But if you're talking about cheatsheets, then going to multiple sources just creates white noise. Taking ranked lists of players from various sources and averaging them out is just a recipe for being middle of the pack.

So, there seems to be only two reasonable tactics:

1) Go to a site that you feel is reputable and up to date and just pick the guys they say you should editing perhaps to get guys you like (it is your team, afterall) or what not. Not a bad way to go if you don't want to put the time in. You may end up picking guys relatively high that you have no idea why you should be, but there's a pretty good chance you'll be back here thanking The Huddle for turning you on to the pick. (William Green not withstanding :sad: )

2) Don't rely on any published cheat sheets and, instead, read the indepth reasons for why this or that website ranks guys where they do and then decide which arguments you feel hold water and which don't. Are they making too big a deal about Matthews injury issues? Not a big enough deal of them? Then make your own rankings accordingly.

The only thing I can imagine one can gleen from comparing cheat sheets is determining who the no-brainer picks are. But do you really need to be told that Foster, Rice, McCoy, Rodgers, and Megatron are at the top of everyone's list?

Actually it's just the opposite. I wouldn't use multiple site cheatsheets to compare no-brainer picks, i'd use them to compare the questionable or later round picks (surprise/sleeper players). Say the Huddle has a guy slotted as the 35th ranked RB and elsewhere he's 50+ based on the same scoring sheet. I would then want to read why the difference in projection, form my own opinion and then earmark those specific players as ones I want to draft or not based on overall value, where their ADP is and whether or not I'll be having to reach for them versus getting good value and having them fall more than they possibly should.

I agree. My strategy is to use the Huddle's cheat sheet/analysis and keep updated about camp developments through ESPN's various divisional blogs, articles written by reputable sources, and the NFL networks camp coverage. I then make my own cheat sheet of 15-20 guys I like for each position and tweak that list based on preseason games/camp reports etc. I think this will give you a leg-up on even the savvy FF player that just uses cheat sheets and/or player analysis that was generated in July.

Actually it's just the opposite. I wouldn't use multiple site cheatsheets to compare no-brainer picks, i'd use them to compare the questionable or later round picks (surprise/sleeper players). Say the Huddle has a guy slotted as the 35th ranked RB and elsewhere he's 50+ based on the same scoring sheet. I would then want to read why the difference in projection, form my own opinion and then earmark those specific players as ones I want to draft or not based on overall value, where their ADP is and whether or not I'll be having to reach for them versus getting good value and having them fall more than they possibly should.

I guess I see it like this. At this point in the game, there's no shortage of websites run by guys who put the work in and, comparing them all at 30-50 at any position is going to be a mess because guys are going to be all over the place. Why? Because each and every player ranked outside the top 30 has one or two reasons why they might be good and plenty more why they're likely going to be a marginal starter at best.

In other words, for every player the Huddle has at 35 that others have at 50, there's another that the Huddle has at 50 that the others have had 35. And I'm guessing if you cornered DMD and asked him why he's got so and so at 35 when others have him at 50, the first thing he'd say is, "Well, keep in mind, we're talking about a guy that I have 34 players ranked ahead of at his position."

This is where the FF is 90% luck and the other 10% is luck part comes in. Picking between the dudes ranked 35-50. All of which, should things break right, could end up being pleasant surprised, but it's simply anyone's guess as to which one it's going to be.

I guess I see it like this. At this point in the game, there's no shortage of websites run by guys who put the work in and, comparing them all at 30-50 at any position is going to be a mess because guys are going to be all over the place. Why? Because each and every player ranked outside the top 30 has one or two reasons why they might be good and plenty more why they're likely going to be a marginal starter at best.

In other words, for every player the Huddle has at 35 that others have at 50, there's another that the Huddle has at 50 that the others have had 35. And I'm guessing if you cornered DMD and asked him why he's got so and so at 35 when others have him at 50, the first thing he'd say is, "Well, keep in mind, we're talking about a guy that I have 34 players ranked ahead of at his position."

This is where the FF is 90% luck and the other 10% is luck part comes in. Picking between the dudes ranked 35-50. All of which, should things break right, could end up being pleasant surprised, but it's simply anyone's guess as to which one it's going to be.

I agree 100%. There is a ton of luck in FF. However, sometimes doing that cross-referencing, while paying attention to preseason news/games, noticing opportunity, plus luck, increases the odds of success. There's a reason why more often than not, you'll find certain owners always in the mix at the end of the season fighting for the title (you can name them in each league you're in, I know I can). Those people are well read/informed , study habits of fellow owners/coaching changes, note changes in the game and change with it, are willing to take risks be it during the draft, in FA, with trades and are daring at the right times more often than not with starting lineup choices. Some people dip their toe in the pool of luck and seem to come out bad a ton, however, others just seem to always turn up a winner. There's something to it.

My first few years I used one or two fantasy mags and ESPN's projections. Midway through my third year, I discovered TheHuddle and the free information I was able to access here (essentially the advice of people wiser than myself in the advice forum) helped me greatly in winning my first championship. As soon as I began preparation for last season, I joined TheHuddle and used all the pre-season information I could get my hands on. I still bought a fantasy mag, but it was purely for entertainment; it was also a good "folder" to hold my Huddle cheatsheets in. Were it not for Romo getting hurt right off the bat in week 16, or if I had been ballsy enough to start TD Jesus over him, I would have won back to back championships. I'm planning to do the same prep work this year and I'll probably bring my netbook with me to the draft so I can refer to TheHuddle's projections during the draft.

Edited by injendsm

someone said something about luck and ff.... yup skill in the day say pre 2001 was great, but ff does take much more luck now. info is everywhere and there are so many more informed players. when all things start to become equal luck rules. that is a reason ff is starting to bore me. honestly it is a lot like texas holdem. you certainly can consistently win, but you are not winning as much... that i think is an understatement.