[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ryan Mathews Down 'till October?

McBoog

It almost seems like we have people latching onto and believing reports that fit what they want to hear or believe will happen.

I know you're sort of new around here, but I demand you take that back. That sort of thought never rears its ugly head in these parts.

This is what Turner said, :doh:

I don't see him playing 'till week four or five with luck. He will have little if any say. He may be running and in the weight room for his legs, but he will be out of football shape and need a couple weeks once he does return to get back into the groove.

:bash:

This is what Turner said, :doh:

I don't see him playing 'till week four or five with luck. He will have little if any say. He may be running and in the weight room for his legs, but he will be out of football shape and need a couple weeks once he does return to get back into the groove.

:bash:

And Turner is not a head coach.

:bash: +1

• Like 1

Mattews missing 2 games still puts him as a top 10 RB imo

so i don't move him down further then that

Mathews miss 2 full games as well as parts of two others last year...

He was still RB7. He falls into the DMC category of being lights out when he's on the field, but how often will he be on the field.

I'm still all in on him. Still think he finishes as a top 6 RB.

that narrows it down . . .

exactly, it shows the floor and ceiling for time missed...weigh the risk you are willing to take based off of that...also, fwiw, I haven't seen anyone else mention week 8 as a return date since the Chargers have a bye in week 7

I have a hard time understanding the rationale of

• he's likely going to miss some time or be rusty when he does come back
  • he's still going to put up top 7-10 RB numbers even if he misses games

Doesn't he get you 0 points while he is out? And isn't that a huge blow for a top (1-2 round) pick? Sure he may/could blow up the rest of the year, but if those missed number of games get into the 4-6-8 range (which doesn't seem impossible) hasn't that already potentially cost you a few wins and put your team in a bad spot?

It seems like some are saying "even if he misses games he's still going to be a top 10 scoring RB so he shouldn't slide much in drafts" and I don't get that. Maybe those people really don't believe he will miss any games (or be rusty when he returns) so they discount the affect of losing a top pick for some games to start the year.

To me its no different than a player that has a possible suspension hanging over his head to start the year. There's a good amount of risk, which would seem to lower the value and thus move them down the draft charts.

Not really an issue for me, with a 5 man keeper he's almost certain to be kept by the owner in our league, and I won't have to worry about drafting him.

I have a hard time understanding the rationale of

• he's likely going to miss some time or be rusty when he does come back

• he's still going to put up top 7-10 RB numbers even if he misses games

Doesn't he get you 0 points while he is out? And isn't that a huge blow for a top (1-2 round) pick? Sure he may/could blow up the rest of the year, but if those missed number of games get into the 4-6-8 range (which doesn't seem impossible) hasn't that already potentially cost you a few wins and put your team in a bad spot?

It seems like some are saying "even if he misses games he's still going to be a top 10 scoring RB so he shouldn't slide much in drafts" and I don't get that. Maybe those people really don't believe he will miss any games (or be rusty when he returns) so they discount the affect of losing a top pick for some games to start the year.

To me its no different than a player that has a possible suspension hanging over his head to start the year. There's a good amount of risk, which would seem to lower the value and thus move them down the draft charts.

Not really an issue for me, with a 5 man keeper he's almost certain to be kept by the owner in our league, and I won't have to worry about drafting him.

First off, I wasn't buying him even when he was healthy. So this is just an explaination on why you'd take a guy that you think will go off once on the field but is due to miss some time.

Sure, when you add up his total pts at the end of the season, he may rank next to a lesser RB who played all 16 games. However, you had to use that lesser back for all 16 starts. With the more explosive back, you get the pts he put up in the 12 or so starts he made plus whatever pts you got from the guy you started in his stead. Which is, quite obviously a higher number.

First off, I wasn't buying him even when he was healthy. So this is just an explaination on why you'd take a guy that you think will go off once on the field but is due to miss some time.

Sure, when you add up his total pts at the end of the season, he may rank next to a lesser RB who played all 16 games. However, you had to use that lesser back for all 16 starts. With the more explosive back, you get the pts he put up in the 12 or so starts he made plus whatever pts you got from the guy you started in his stead. Which is, quite obviously a higher number.

Good point and I get that. But I'm looking at it as the guy I'm drafting high (1st/2nd round) not being available for X (2-4-6) games vs. the guy I could draft instead. How do you rationalize passing on somebody with lesser expected total season points but with no risk of missing early games to take a player like Matthews that will almost certainly miss some time. To me it doesn't matter what he scores for the whole season if he's missing a bunch of games at the beginning. It just seems people are looking more at his total points and possibly not believing he'll miss any time.

Regardless of when he comes back, he is made of glass. If you factor in the probability of missed time and the probability of him getting imjured again, I don't want anything to do with him.

He went in the early third of a draft i did over the weekend. that is just crazy......

Good point and I get that. But I'm looking at it as the guy I'm drafting high (1st/2nd round) not being available for X (2-4-6) games vs. the guy I could draft instead. How do you rationalize passing on somebody with lesser expected total season points but with no risk of missing early games to take a player like Matthews that will almost certainly miss some time. To me it doesn't matter what he scores for the whole season if he's missing a bunch of games at the beginning. It just seems people are looking more at his total points and possibly not believing he'll miss any time.

I don't in this case. I do in the case of a suspension or something like that and I did with Arian Foster last year. But it is a virtual certainty that I won't end up with Mathews unless everyone in my league is of the same mind I am only more so.

He is one of those guys whom I have on my draft board at a spot where there's virtually no chance I end up with him.

ETA: on another note, would it be too freaking much to ask for Yahoo to go in and adjust his rank so he wouldn't still be top 5 in their mocks. One or two unfilled slots that the computer picks for aren't the end of the world, but it messes with what you can expect to happen when some auto-pick in the middle to late 1st round grabs him because of an out-of-date ranking.

exactly, it shows the floor and ceiling for time missed...weigh the risk you are willing to take based off of that...also, fwiw, I haven't seen anyone else mention week 8 as a return date since the Chargers have a bye in week 7

Hi my name is "anyone else" :) You probably meant no actual football folks in the know with the Chargers though I suppose?

http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?/topic/379649-ryan-mathews-not-tough-enough/page__st__100

KO'd

I don't in this case. I do in the case of a suspension or something like that and I did with Arian Foster last year. But it is a virtual certainty that I won't end up with Mathews unless everyone in my league is of the same mind I am only more so.

He is one of those guys whom I have on my draft board at a spot where there's virtually no chance I end up with him.

ETA: on another note, would it be too freaking much to ask for Yahoo to go in and adjust his rank so he wouldn't still be top 5 in their mocks. One or two unfilled slots that the computer picks for aren't the end of the world, but it messes with what you can expect to happen when some auto-pick in the middle to late 1st round grabs him because of an out-of-date ranking.

You are so right about this! Also the number of auto drafters can really mess things up!

Edited by Scorcher

Mathews miss 2 full games as well as parts of two others last year...

He was still RB7. He falls into the DMC category of being lights out when he's on the field, but how often will he be on the field.

I'm still all in on him. Still think he finishes as a top 6 RB.

......-yeah, i guess he's lights out when he's on the field, and not fumbling, and not making mental errors, and not getting hurt, and not lacking over-all toughness.