[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

TB Coach calls 2 Timeouts to pound victory formation

Cowboyz1

Yes. It is to cause a fumble

I have also never seen a couch do this. They tend to be quite sedentary.

Usually the other team has too big of a cushion for this to be effective

• Like 1

The point of who is at QB when this is being put in to play takes some of the starch and credibility from your argument . You either play to the bell or you dont. Saying they are doing this because it was Romo is pretty weak sauce. They did it to Eli last week and it seems they would do this to anyone back there

that wasn't really serious, I was just taking a pot-shot at yer boy :fool:

Yep . . .hate to be a laz-e-boy at the end of a game and not finish strong.

Exactly. You cant say sofa so good during a game. You have to finish it

Edited by whomper

Pope was serious. and dont call him shirley

My main point is it being a one score dealio (6 to tie, 7 to win). Down by ten - with or without Eli - is a bit much but yep, down by six with Romo back there... why not? It truly isn't unreasonable given Romo's history.

Reading around elsewhere this morning there are two things to consider: Schiano had it work for him twice at Rutgers and since this formation was adopted in the wake of the Miracle at the Meadowlands D's more or less let it go down - in other words it's 'tradition' for Ds to roll over by and large. He's trying something new, so what? And again it isn't like it's different than every other play run the previous 59 minutes. I'm not hoping for injuries - like some are in their 'offense' - but this smacks of much ado about nothing once you get past the hyperbole.

Reading around elsewhere this morning there are two things to consider: Schiano had it work for him twice at Rutgers.....

This was fact-checked by Gregg Easterbrook at ESPN and was found to be false. At least, it did not work in the two games Schiano said it worked in - which doesn't sound good to me.

• Like 1

Not sure of the teams because I was walking around getting ready but this morning Sports Center showed several examples of this tactic working. Actual video of real games. I'll see if I can find the clip.

The problem is, the only time this could possibly work is the very first time. It's like a gadget play. Now that the whole NFL knows they're going to do it, it's like going to the line of scrimmage on a punt play and telling the D "it's a fake." The play had a microscopic chance of working on the first time, and absolutely no chance of working now.

Instead of complaining, how about lining up in another formation maybe the center and two guards and the rest of the line on the other side of the field. The defense has to respect the formation and plce their lineman over their with them. This way you're only having a three v. three things which is limits the damage that can be done? Or go to a punt formation... aren't the long snappers "protected" from being hit? ... or is that college?

Not sure of the teams because I was walking around getting ready but this morning Sports Center showed several examples of this tactic working. Actual video of real games. I'll see if I can find the clip.

Yeah, I'd be interested. I have not gone back to try to find footage but here's what Easterbrook said in his Sept 18 ESPN article:

Schiano claimed to have created turnovers during kneel-downs at Rutgers, but your columnist has been unable to find any evidence of this. An NFL Network report said hard hits on kneel-downs created turnovers for Rutgers against Pitt and West Virginia in 2009. Here is the Pitt ending and here is the West Virginia ending. No kneel-down turnovers.

I guess when people play this guy the line needs to know that they have to fire off the ball to close out the game :shrug: You can still take a knee but your O line needs to treat it like a real play. In the case of Dallas , they will probably false start just at the thought of running a play at game speed

agreed

Meh. He is a new coach trying to turn around a crap team. If stuff like this helps, good for him.

agreed