[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cowboys to extend Romo?

i_am_the_swammi

Giants, Eagles, Redskins Call For Tony Romo Contract Extension

February 25, 2013 ·

By PFM Staff

A demand for a contract extension between the Dallas Cowboys and QB Tony Romo was issued on behalf of the New York Giants, Philadelphia Eagles, and Washington Redskins, it was reported early Monday.

“Tony Romo has been an integral component of the Cowboys’ fortunes the past several years, and it’s time to ensure his future as the quarterback of America’s Team,” read a joint statement issued by the three NFC East rivals. “We hereby call on Jerry Jones to sign Tony to a lucrative new deal that will guarantee he remains a Cowboy for the remainder of what we all hope will be a long, long career.”

Romo, entering the final season of a six-year, $67.5 million contract, has been the team’s starting QB since 2006, and talks on a new contract have been proceeding slowly, to the frustration of the Cowboys’ divisional foes.

“I understand these sorts of deals can be tricky, because of salary cap space and whatnot,” said Philadelphia Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie. “Trust me, if the commissioner will allow it, we at the Eagles would be more than happy to shift some of our cap room to the Cowboys to get the deal done. Five million, ten million whatever it takes. Let’s make this happen.”

“I talked to the guys, and we all agreed to chip in some cash,” said Giants CB Corey Webster. “Between me, Jason Pierre-Paul, and Mathias Kiwanuka, alone, we have nearly five million bucks we’ll donate. We don’t ever want to see #9 wearing anything but the Silver and Blue, y’know?”

“Tony Romo is synonymous with the Dallas Cowboys, and perfectly encompasses everything they represent,” added Redskins LB Ryan Kerrigan. “I know I speak on behalf of everyone in the greater New York, Philadelphia, and Washington DC areas when I say, ‘Get this done Dallas. Make Tony Romo a Cowboy for life.’”

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

It happened today. And Romo will receive more guaranteed money than Flacco.

Per rotoworld.com: http://www.rotoworld...rs-$108-million

Cowboys signed QB Tony Romo to a six-year, $108 million extension through 2019, including $55 million guaranteed.

Romo is 33, so the six-year extension locks him in through his age-39 season.

Still a top-ten (regular season) quarterback, Romo is coming off career highs in attempts (648) and passing yards (4,903), although he led the NFL in interceptions (19) and absorbed 36 sacks to tie a career high. For Romo's part, he's been a top-nine fantasy quarterback in each of his last five healthy seasons.

Romo's record over the past three years is 17-21. Even if "wins" are no way to measure quarterback performance, Romo hasn't taken Dallas to the playoffs since 2009 and has just one career playoff win.

We like the extension for the fantasy values of Romo, Dez Bryant, Miles Austin, and Jason Witten. The price is fine -- $18 million per year -- but it's not necessarily a deal that will pay dividends for the future of Jerry Jones' franchise.

The $55 million guaranteed surpasses Joe Flacco's $52 million, but comes up $5 million shy of Drew Brees' league-record $60 million guaranteed.

Edited by Wolverines Fan

Cowboys signed QB Tony Romo to a six-year, $108 million extension through 2019, including $55 million guaranteed.

Romo is 33, so the six-year extension locks him in through his age-39 season.

Still a top-ten (regular season) quarterback, Romo is coming off career highs in attempts (648) and passing yards (4,903), although he led the NFL in interceptions (19) and absorbed 36 sacks to tie a career high. For Romo's part, he's been a top-nine fantasy quarterback in each of his last five healthy seasons.

JJ paid $108M for a top-10 QB....not top-3...or top-5...or SB winning....top-10.

That is the definition of insane.

JJ paid $108M for a top-10 QB....not top-3...or top-5...or SB winning....top-10.

That is the definition of insane.

If Romo can hang on through the age of 39 to actually get all that money, I'll be impressed. I seriously doubt Romo sees the full $108 million.

Edited by electricrelish

If Romo can hang on through the age of 39 to actually get all that money, I'll be impressed. I seriously doubt Romo sees the full $108 million.

Even if he stays healthy he probably won't see all that money, who does on a long term NFL contract.

• Like 1

There was a ton of outrage when Flacco got his deal but I haven't seen near the outrage for Romo, the QB with ONE playoff win...oh and Flacco's deal was cap friendly this year...with Romo's deal the Cowboys are still over the cap when you factor in what they'll pay rooks, plus IR guys too.

Edited by keggerz

There was a ton of outrage when Flacco got his deal but I haven't seen near the outrage for Romo, the QB with ONE playoff win...oh and Flacco's deal was cap friendly this year...with Romo's deal the Cowboys are still over the cap when you factor in what they'll pay rooks, plus IR guys too.

Don't they still have to get under the cap to officially sign Durant?

Don't they still have to get under the cap to officially sign Durant?

They currently are, by about $5.5M. He meant that once they start signing draft picks and/or IR replacements they may struggle to remain so due. They have one more big trick up their sleeve though with Anthony Spencer. If they get him signed to an extension they can save a bunch more space.

Very interesting, particularly the part about only the top 51 counting against the cap in the off season. So when you sign a new player, and their cap hit is X you only need to have room for Y (Y = X - Z, where Z is the cap hit of the 51st player).

And every time you sign somebody (presumably with a large cap hit than #51) the cap hit of that #51 is likely to go up, meaning you need to make even less room for the next guy.