[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Site Issues Resolved

WJW

The best I could tell, the tiers were not created by some formula, they were preset by position (I have a number of scoring systems set up, all had the exact same tiers, just some slight changes in players based on scoring tweaks) Perhaps DMD can comfirm this, but here are the tierings

I hate to kick a man when he's down - but if what you say is true than the tiering is considerably less insightful than I had previously thought.

Well the sheet I'm looking at has Antonio Brown in tier one and Jeffrey in tier two. Both have the exact same projected points. Maybe in a different scoring system, the separation would be there. But the natural break would be to include Jeffrey in the first tier.

This points to the fact that showing projected points in the cheat sheet is helpful.

Edited by MikesVikes

This is the first time in our 18 year history that this has ever happened and it was a perfect storm of hardware failures on an older box on a national holiday while it was being routinely maintained late Sunday night. It was unprecedented in how it happened and we will learn all we can from the experience but the problems all along have not been about building a new box, laying down a new OS with new hardware and loading files, it is trying to match up over 100 database tables, one the fly, hooked into the internet, establish FTP ability and so on. It is something you would never want to do during the busiest time of the year. Basically everything we have done to create the tools, customization, file reads, etc. over the last two decades has to be redone immediately on a new box. I am sick to my stomach over this. Whitney has not hardly slept in about 36 hours and there is a team of engineers working on it. It happened and we will learn all we can to prevent it in the future but there were already plans in place. Recreating the entirety of the site is not a matter of just copying files. it is something you would plan on taking weeks in the offseason if you had a choice.

As for making it right, have to think what is appropriate or even possible for this first monumental glitch in our history that is now a day and a half long. I would hope our track record would be considered. I understand and appreciate that members are not happy and that some were affected in some ways. We just need it all to get completely fixed and go from there.

Meanwhile, I have to write up all the games and do the projections in the middle of this.

DMD, thank you for taking the time to respond. Honestly, if you wanted to hunt me down and bitchslap me for my comment after the crap you've all gone through, I wouldn't blame you. I sympathize with you and Whitney - this situation blows. And it's a bummer that it happened on the busiest weekend of the year for people preparing for fantasy football drafts (arguably so, anyway). I commend you for being able to get the site essentially rebuilt from scratch in less than two days. Without your diligence to get the problem solved, things would have been much worse. I don't doubt that this is the first time this has ever happened in your site's history - again, you really got unlucky here.

Having said all of that, I have no doubt that you will take every precaution you can to ensure this doesn't happen again. I'll admit that the sting of the site being down throughout my draft definitely prompted my post (which I actually revised a few times so I wouldn't sound like a complete prick). I'm not really sure what the appropriate response is to your customers, but whatever it is, I trust it'll be the right thing.

This is the first time in our 18 year history that this has ever happened and it was a perfect storm of hardware failures on an older box on a national holiday while it was being routinely maintained late Sunday night. It was unprecedented in how it happened and we will learn all we can from the experience but the problems all along have not been about building a new box, laying down a new OS with new hardware and loading files, it is trying to match up over 100 database tables, one the fly, hooked into the internet, establish FTP ability and so on. It is something you would never want to do during the busiest time of the year. Basically everything we have done to create the tools, customization, file reads, etc. over the last two decades has to be redone immediately on a new box. I am sick to my stomach over this. Whitney has not hardly slept in about 36 hours and there is a team of engineers working on it. It happened and we will learn all we can to prevent it in the future but there were already plans in place. Recreating the entirety of the site is not a matter of just copying files. it is something you would plan on taking weeks in the offseason if you had a choice.

As for making it right, have to think what is appropriate or even possible for this first monumental glitch in our history that is now a day and a half long. I would hope our track record would be considered. I understand and appreciate that members are not happy and that some were affected in some ways. We just need it all to get completely fixed and go from there.

Meanwhile, I have to write up all the games and do the projections in the middle of this.

I’m here to kind of echo the things that MTSuper7 said in his post – as I too was bitching yesterday – obviously out of frustration, but all in all, it’s not the end of the world. I made it work with the tools I had at my disposal. I have found that I too am partly to blame for my own misfortunes yesterday as I could have been a little more prepared going into my draft – not that I wasn’t prepared, I knew who I wanted to target, but a list of the top xxx players in this format only better helps me gauge on when I should pull the trigger and/or when I should gamble on letting him ride another round. It’s been 3 years since I’ve printed out a cheat sheet and marked off players as they’re selected, instead I just go with my tablet and connect to the site via Wi-Fi and get all the info that way. Sure there's free ones out there (as someone stated to me earlier) but I didn't pay for a free halfassed cheat sheet that was put together 3 weeks ago.

I certainly don’t envy the position you were put in yesterday but I will give my kudos for keeping us posted on what happened and the progress of this being restored. I said in a different thread somewhere that trust takes years to build and only takes seconds to be erased – but sometimes unforeseen events can’t be planned for. I think this was a learning experience for us all, and something you can look back on in a few years and laugh at – at which that time you can finally give me that free membership I’ve been chasing for these past 8 years. :)

All in all – you guys did a hell of a job. Look on the bright side - at least this didn’t happen on Friday or Saturday when most people started drafting. At least you got the weekend drafts out of the way – just hit the tail end of the stragglers who were drafting Monday – so, it could have been worse. I still look forward to the weekly insights such as ROS Rankings and FA Forecasts. Thanks again for your hard work, time to go get some sleep!

Speaking of projections.... and not that you had any sleep or anything.. any thoughts on when the Wednesday content will be up? I can't imagine the angst and crazy that went through all you guys last week. I have been a happy huddle member for a lot of years and you have earned my patience. Just curious when you guys think you will get caught up.

How about the news page? I see items on the HP, but the news page is empty.

http://www.thehuddle...otball_news.php

I've noticed that weird issue as well. Try logging out then back in. That cleared it up for me. We'll look into it.

I'm closing and unpinning this post since we are beyond the initial downtime. If you have any specific problems with the site please post them in the support forum so we can better track and address them. Thanks.