[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is it me or are the Refs starting have more influence over games?

Cowboyz1

There again. So the next time someone comes in and kills Chris Johnson because he stops while sitting on top of a linemen for a good 2 seconds they will call unnecessary roughness. They should have blown the whistle at forward progress. If you notice the linebacker was about to light him up but thought better of it. Next time Chris Johnson is going to get concussed. I'm all for playing to the whistle but that play was over and if they want 300 pound players to make sure Chris is dead while in the arms of another linemen so be it. Look out though. Bad officiating there.

This is a valid point. Not sure about the incoming LB, but still, you play til you hear the whistle. No whistle...bam.

Because isolating a single play in the game, where ever it might occur (first or last) or whatever it's nature (bad execution, bad call) and labeling it as the reason for a win or loss is inane.

It's really just an extreme case of recognizing that football plays come in a broad spectrum of importance. There are high leverage plays like 3rd down, ahead by less than a score, with under 4 minutes in the game and an opponent with no timeouts. There are low leverage plays like 1st down on your own 35 with 10 seconds to go in the first half. There are all the plays in between. All of these plays make up the average game.

But sometimes, in rare instances, a given play carries so much weight that it creates a distinct and final impact on the game and it deserves special attention. While the weight of that play is not greater than the balance of the other plays, it is also not reasonable to say that some other mixture of other play results could have been achieved to overcome the impact of that one game changing play - that is like saying 'well if two different teams had played the game then that play wouldn't matter'.

When that high leverage play stems from something controversial, it taints the outcome and people are always going to point to it as THE play that won/lost the game. When teams are evenly matched, and the highest leverage play in the game is based on a bad call or no-call, it is pretty fair for it to be called THE play that determined the outcome because the game was interfered with at its most critical moment.

• Like 2

Here we go again. I don't know that I have ever seen a flag for 12 men on the field get picked up and simply ignored. It makes you wonder if there is betting going on with the officials. Seriously horrible calls.

Bad, bad officiating ... Seattle called a 2nd time out in a row and essentially got it, even though they are not allowed to do that ... so they essentially got the time out without losing a timeout and without penalty ... but not why Dallas lost the game

• Like 1

Looked it to me. But I have no idea what a damn catch is anymore

Exactly. I thought it was a fumble too but then I reminded myself that I dont know what that is anymore . The 2 time outs thing was a really bad blown call for sure. Dallas still probably would have lost anyway because their offense is just brutally inept but how does that call happen ?

Exactly. I thought it was a fumble too but then I reminded myself that I dont know what that is anymore . The 2 time outs thing was a really bad blown call for sure. Dallas still probably would have lost anyway because their offense is just brutally inept but how does that call happen ?

Yeah it really sucks that it is becoming more and more unclear what is a catch and what is not a catch. And it is really irritating to here the head of the ref.s explain it all away and justifying each call as the correct interpretation of the rules.

The 2 time outs thing was horribly mishandled by the refs. for sure ... and saying once the ref.s blew the call there was no recourse was total BS. Either SEA should have been penalized for calling an illegal time out -OR- they should have been penalized for having 12 men on the field (why Carroll was trying to call a TO in the first place). If there is no penalty for calling an illegal TO then coaches should call illegal TOs all the time, especially if it gets them out of a penalty.

I also thought the Luke Willson TD didn't break the plane. That was a horrendously boring game.

I thought the Luke Wilson TD was too close to call ... whatever had been originally called on the field (TD or no TD) would not be reversed.

I also thought the Luke Willson TD didn't break the plane. That was a horrendously boring game.

when they came back from commercial they had a picture that showed his ass was down before he broke the plain but I didnt put too much stock in that play anyway. Good chance Lynch just barrels in from the 1/2 inch mark if they reversed that call although I know anything can happen

when they came back from commercial they had a picture that showed his ass was down before he broke the plain but I didnt put too much stock in that play anyway. Good chance Lynch just barrels in from the 1/2 inch mark if they reversed that call although I know anything can happen

From one of the angles ... angles make all the difference

• Like 1

They blew two calls on one play. Seattle has 12 players on the field during our 4th and 3 field goal attempt. Carrol notices the 12th man and calls a timeout. Problem is, they had just called a time out. Therefore,

1. they should have been flagged for Unsportsmanlike conduct as you can't call two timeouts back to back. First down Dallas on half the distance to the goal. Nothing happened flag picked up.

2. Second flag on the ground was for 12 men on the field. Flag also picked up because the timeout was given thus stopping the play and the clock allowing the Seattle player to get off the field. Should have been 12 men on the field, 5 yard penalty, 1st and 10 Cowboys.

Both flags just picked up and ignored because the Refs made the mistake of blowing the whistle and giving Seattle back to back timeouts. However, Seattle was given back their timeout because they aren't allowed to call back to back timeouts. Now how in the hell does that make any sense to anyone.

HORRIBLE officiating yet again on Sunday.

Edited by Cowboyz1

From one of the angles ... angles make all the difference

The announcers said the refs have a new term that needs to be met to overturn a call, something like "Clear and obvious" and before it needed to be irrefutable or something like that. In one angle it looked like he crossed the plane witht he ball, the other did not. I think their point was two things disagreeing means neither one is obvious, and play stands.

They also talked (heard this in Browns game on Fox too) about speaking to their Official expert who said a higher percentage of calls are being overturned this year, something like 45% vs. 38 before that.

That mixed up call with the 12 men on field, or not, and a illegal time out or not, was almost as bad as the calls on the punt at the end of NYG-NO, no penalty then suddenly there is a face mask penalty. But none of those calls cost any team their game.

They also flagged Heath for the hit he put on Lockette. I read some Seattle players were bitching about it after the game. Nothing wrong with that hit. ETA: I didn't hear any Seattle players bitching about the hit Tate put on Lee a cpl yrs ago..

I agree ... nothing wrong with that hit. How the hell was that a "blindside" hit when they were squared up to each other face to face? I also thought the flag was late ... it didn't come out until it was obvious Lockette wasn't getting up. That looked to me like the refs were making a politically correct call; i.e. any hit that knocks somebody out must be illegal and we don't want to appear like we missed it.

Total BS.

They blew two calls on one play. Seattle has 12 players on the field during our 4th and 3 field goal attempt. Carrol notices the 12th man and calls a timeout. Problem is, they had just called a time out. Therefore,

1. they should have been flagged for Unsportsmanlike conduct as you can't call two timeouts back to back. First down Dallas on half the distance to the goal. Nothing happened flag picked up.

2. Second flag on the ground was for 12 men on the field. Flag also picked up because the timeout was given thus stopping the play and the clock allowing the Seattle player to get off the field. Should have been 12 men on the field, 5 yard penalty, 1st and 10 Cowboys.

Both flags just picked up and ignored because the Refs made the mistake of blowing the whistle and giving Seattle back to back timeouts. However, Seattle was given back their timeout because they aren't allowed to call back to back timeouts. Now how in the hell does that make any sense to anyone.

HORRIBLE officiating yet again on Sunday.

That particular call is the absolute worst instance of officiating I can recall. It is beyond me how the hell the refs found a path that resulted in Seattle avoiding TWO penalties AND getting a free time out when it was illegal to have ANY time out. I get that the refs made a mistake and blew the whistle giving the time out that wasn't legal resulting in the clock stoppage which allowed the extra player to get off the field. No problem, allow the clock stoppage because when the illegal time out was called you get an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

Instead the refs give Seattle a 4th/free time out, when one wasn't allowed.

I bet if Garrett had thrown his red flag for review he would have been flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct.

• Like 1

I agree ... nothing wrong with that hit. How the hell was that a "blindside" hit when they were squared up to each other face to face? I also thought the flag was late ... it didn't come out until it was obvious Lockette wasn't getting up. That looked to me like the refs were making a politically correct call; i.e. any hit that knocks somebody out must be illegal and we don't want to appear like we missed it.

Total BS.

Kind of like the NBA refs that only call some fouls after the shot clearly doesn't go in (or don't call it when the shot goes in).

They also flagged Heath for the hit he put on Lockette. I read some Seattle players were bitching about it after the game. Nothing wrong with that hit. ETA: I didn't hear any Seattle players bitching about the hit Tate put on Lee a cpl yrs ago..

I agree on all counts. I love big hits as much as the next guy but hated to see Lockette crumpled up like that as I am sure most people did when watching. Footballwise though that was clean. He didnt go helmet to helmet. He didnt blindside him. Lockette clearly saw him and actually lowered in to him ready for impact (one of the commentators said this as well) For Bennett to call it dirty was nonsense and the Lee hit went through my mind as well. Lee wasnt looking at all and was completely blindsided. I am glad lockette seems to be ok. That was a nasty collision

...almost as bad as the calls on the punt at the end of NYG-NO, no penalty then suddenly there is a face mask penalty. But none of those calls cost any team their game.

They actually got that call right, but only after the entire stadium sounded like they were going to revolt. They threw the flag and then tried to say there was no foul when it was a blatant personal foul penalty.

I'm rarely one to complain about officiating, but the fact that the Saints were called 5 times for PI or defensive holding and the Giants didn't get a single flag is pretty telling. One of the defensive holding penalties negated a sack/fumble, but it actually happened after the ball was already loose. Also, it didn't really affect the game, but the no-call when Ingram got leveled by one of the Giants players standing on the sideline was ridiculous.

They actually got that call right, but only after the entire stadium sounded like they were going to revolt. They threw the flag and then tried to say there was no foul when it was a blatant personal foul penalty.

I'm rarely one to complain about officiating, but the fact that the Saints were called 5 times for PI or defensive holding and the Giants didn't get a single flag is pretty telling. One of the defensive holding penalties negated a sack/fumble, but it actually happened after the ball was already loose. Also, it didn't really affect the game, but the no-call when Ingram got leveled by one of the Giants players standing on the sideline was ridiculous.

I was thinking about that call this morning. If Snead picks up that ball, but can NOT advance it based on the fumblerooski's rules, isn't he officially down where he recovered the ball? Shouldn't any subsequent action be null and void?

That was an extremely tough way to lose a football game.

A worse way to lose was how the refs essentially gave Baltimore the game on a very lame PI call at the end of the game, before Tucker's FG.

I hate these PI or no PI calls when the game is on the line.