[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gonna be an ugly Super Bowl.

irish

If Cam comes out too hyped and the Broncos can get an early double digit lead, it may put some pressure on Cam and the Panthers to play catch up. The Broncos could pull the upset if this happens.

If Cam comes out relaxed and playing like he has all year, then the Panthers are going to destroy Denver. It will be Seattle/Denver ugly.

The investigation was a joke. Everyone knew his dad was selling him to the highest bidder. He even said himself that it would take more than just a scholarship to get him. But the NCAA didn't want their Heisman trophy winner and national champion drug through the mud. In the end the NCAA claimed they could never track any money going directly to his family.

People also seem to forget the whole reason he ended up at Auburn as well. He was caught cheating several times at Florida and even took another students paper and turned it in with his name on it. When he was caught he tried to turn in another paper that he bought off the internet. I think the final straw was when he was busted for buying a stolen laptop.

It also cracks me up how much he is applauded for supposedly becoming a great leader and maturing. Yeah, not real hard when they're winning every game. Just look back to the loss to Atlanta this year. Where was Newton when the Falcon were beating them? Just where he always is, sitting off by himself in his towel hoodie staring at the ground. And after the game did he man up and go congratulate the other team? I suppose, if you want to call giving Matt Ryan a quick nudge in his back shoulder, mumbling something quickly and then sprinting off the field manning up. I've also talked about the taunting in another thread as well as ripping jerseys and signs out of fans hands on the sidelines.

Maybe he is just having fun out there. I just see it as classless, immature and setting a poor example from someone who is supposed to be a leader and supposedly the new face of the league.

So to your first point that seems to be his father making those decisions, not really Cam, but hey let's blame him for what his dad did.

Second to the cheating, yeah he did something wrong and probably learned from it. But you know cheating at college makes him a terrible person. Once again seems to be a stupid mistake by a 19/20 year old, but I'm sure all of us were so perfect and mature and making the most sound decisions at that age.

You want to talk about the one loss where the game was extremely chippy the entire time and the falcons acted like they just won the superbowl. I'm sure he felt terrible for the loss and wasn't excited about it and it looked like Ryan was speaking to someone else when he got to him. I mean I have seen him in defense huddles trying to pump up his teammates, I see going to every player trying to pump them up. And he just fumbled the ball to the lose the game, a real leader isn't going to go to his team looking for sympathy. Plus I'm going to listen to what his teammates say and they all look towards him.

And oh you mean the 12 man flag being waved in his face when he is trying to celebrate with the fans, that looked like he was having more fun then being malicious. But to each their own.

Once again I don't get the hate, unless he is a rival, such as I don't like too many seahawks, but it seems like there is alot more hate for him because he isn't playing qb the traditional way. Everyone wants him to be like Brady and manning, but he's not. Once again he seems like emotional guy who is playing the game for the love of the game and experiences all the highs and lows with the game. I rather my qb be passed when they lose, then where most teams act like nothing happened when they lose and just happy the game is over. My opinion is he having fun and far from classless, but he isn't your traditional person and is going to be a polarizing figure who plays at the most important position in the most popular sports league in the US.

I'll go out on a limb and say because people don't like him, just like some don't like Brady, Ben, Peyton, Sherman, Lynch, and any other number of players. The reasons really don't matter, its not something you can change or have rational discussion on most times.

I personally don't like all the over celebration, after a while it just looks staged and more about the player being the focus than the team. After every first down it gets old, no matter who does it. I do like the practice he has of giving the TD ball to kids in the stand.

Worse than Cam though are the guys on defense who celebrate a tackle, that gave up a first down or other big play.

Yeah I get that it is probably because people don't like him. I just don't think he does too much to be disliked. Sure, he celebrates a little much but many, many players in the NFL celebrate too much, I just don't understand why Cam always gets singled out as someone who appears to do it more than others.

You are so right about celebrating tackles and first downs. That would be like a newspaper reporter celebrating every time they made a deadline or chef celebrating every time he made a good meal. That is your job. To me, the only things that should be truly celebrated are touchdowns and turnovers. Plays that have significant impact on the game. Otherwise, these guys should act like they have been there before.

Alternative uniforms are not allowed in the playoffs.

I heard that we were not allowed to go with blue jerseys. Any idea why?

So I went googling and figured out that the blue jerseys are considered our alternates. Orange is home, white is road, and blue is alternate.

The investigation was a joke. Everyone knew his dad was selling him to the highest bidder. He even said himself that it would take more than just a scholarship to get him. But the NCAA didn't want their Heisman trophy winner and national champion drug through the mud. In the end the NCAA claimed they could never track any money going directly to his family.

People also seem to forget the whole reason he ended up at Auburn as well. He was caught cheating several times at Florida and even took another students paper and turned it in with his name on it. When he was caught he tried to turn in another paper that he bought off the internet. I think the final straw was when he was busted for buying a stolen laptop.

It also cracks me up how much he is applauded for supposedly becoming a great leader and maturing. Yeah, not real hard when they're winning every game. Just look back to the loss to Atlanta this year. Where was Newton when the Falcon were beating them? Just where he always is, sitting off by himself in his towel hoodie staring at the ground. And after the game did he man up and go congratulate the other team? I suppose, if you want to call giving Matt Ryan a quick nudge in his back shoulder, mumbling something quickly and then sprinting off the field manning up. I've also talked about the taunting in another thread as well as ripping jerseys and signs out of fans hands on the sidelines.

Maybe he is just having fun out there. I just see it as classless, immature and setting a poor example from someone who is supposed to be a leader and supposedly the new face of the league.

First of all, I think it is pretty unfair to hold what happened to this dude in college against him now. If we think Cam is the only star player to get favorable treatment in deciding where to go to college we are being incredibly naive. Just because everyone doesn't get caught, doesn't mean they didn't get things for being great athletes.

As for the stealing and stuff, he was a 19-year old kid that had probably been the golden boy since he was 5 years old. All of the sudden he wasn't the starting quarterback and it probably messed with him. Not condoning his mistakes, but he made them and from the guy I see now, it looks like he learned from them.

We simply can't expect all college players to be Tim Tebow.

I think we will just have to agree to disagree on our definition of the words classless and immature.

Edited by jkraft896

So to your first point that seems to be his father making those decisions, not really Cam, but hey let's blame him for what his dad did.

Second to the cheating, yeah he did something wrong and probably learned from it. But you know cheating at college makes him a terrible person. Once again seems to be a stupid mistake by a 19/20 year old, but I'm sure all of us were so perfect and mature and making the most sound decisions at that age.

You want to talk about the one loss where the game was extremely chippy the entire time and the falcons acted like they just won the superbowl. I'm sure he felt terrible for the loss and wasn't excited about it and it looked like Ryan was speaking to someone else when he got to him. I mean I have seen him in defense huddles trying to pump up his teammates, I see going to every player trying to pump them up. And he just fumbled the ball to the lose the game, a real leader isn't going to go to his team looking for sympathy. Plus I'm going to listen to what his teammates say and they all look towards him.

And oh you mean the 12 man flag being waved in his face when he is trying to celebrate with the fans, that looked like he was having more fun then being malicious. But to each their own.

Once again I don't get the hate, unless he is a rival, such as I don't like too many seahawks, but it seems like there is alot more hate for him because he isn't playing qb the traditional way. Everyone wants him to be like Brady and manning, but he's not. Once again he seems like emotional guy who is playing the game for the love of the game and experiences all the highs and lows with the game. I rather my qb be passed when they lose, then where most teams act like nothing happened when they lose and just happy the game is over. My opinion is he having fun and far from classless, but he isn't your traditional person and is going to be a polarizing figure who plays at the most important position in the most popular sports league in the US.

you're certainly entitled to your opinion, even if its wrong :)

We simply can't expect all college players to be Tim Tebow.

I think we will just have to agree to disagree on our definition of the words classless and immature.

Only person that should not like him is Gator fans lol. Plenty of them down here in Florida, naturally. Urban Meyer was a jerk though who didn't really care about the development of his players, see Tebow... Oh and even Tebow got his beak wet in college. I've caught him at a party once, it's freaking college. Anyone who's holding an NFL player accountable for something that happened close to 10 years ago in college is probably waaaay to out of touch. We were all young and dumb once and it's not like he jeapordized anyone's life here.

• Like 1

Only person that should not like him is Gator fans lol. Plenty of them down here in Florida, naturally. Urban Meyer was a jerk though who didn't really care about the development of his players, see Tebow... Oh and even Tebow got his beak wet in college. I've caught him at a party once, it's freaking college. Anyone who's holding an NFL player accountable for something that happened close to 10 years ago in college is probably waaaay to out of touch. We were all young and dumb once and it's not like he jeapordized anyone's life here.

No offense, but your basically said people in college should not be held responsible for their actions. While I agree not physically hurting anyone makes it less news worthy, to say that the accountability should be lessened because he was "in college" or "still a kid" is just fricking ridiculous. If they are old enough to vote and fight for this country, than they are not a kid and should be held responsible for their actions like any other adult. Perhaps the lack of personal responsibility and consequences for chosen actions are what those of us out of touch are sick of seeing.

If anyone has a problem with this, they can get the (the really bad word) off my lawn.

• Like 2

No offense, but your basically said people in college should not be held responsible for their actions. While I agree not physically hurting anyone makes it less news worthy, to say that the accountability should be lessened because he was "in college" or "still a kid" is just fricking ridiculous. If they are old enough to vote and fight for this country, than they are not a kid and should be held responsible for their actions like any other adult. Perhaps the lack of personal responsibility and consequences for chosen actions are what those of us out of touch are sick of seeing.

If anyone has a problem with this, they can get the smoochie off my lawn.

Lack of personal responsibility? No consequences? He was kicked out of school and forced to play junior college football. I don't understand how the things he did at Florida went unpunished. He was punished and as far as I can tell, he learned from it and seems to be a different person. Do you think that the kid who stoles laptops and cheated in college would be giving footballs to kids and have such an influence with Play60? I don't.

You talk about fighting for the country and voting, yet you want to hold someone accountable for things that he was punished for that happened like 7-8 years ago. He did his time. What else do you want? Do you want him to pay a fine to Florida for stealing the laptop? Would you be more okay with him if he spent 30 days in prison during the offseason? Come on man, its not like he was accused of murder or rape. He cheated on some homework and stole a laptop.

The deed was done. It was a long time ago, I'm not arguing so much for accountability not being held as much as I'm saying it's pointless to hold it against him nearly a decade after the fact. And yeah 18 is considered an "adult" but it's also pretty clear when mommy and daddy are fighting for you to get playing time you're still pretty much a "kid" lol

Lack of personal responsibility? No consequences? He was kicked out of school and forced to play junior college football. I don't understand how the things he did at Florida went unpunished. He was punished and as far as I can tell, he learned from it and seems to be a different person. Do you think that the kid who stoles laptops and cheated in college would be giving footballs to kids and have such an influence with Play60? I don't.

You talk about fighting for the country and voting, yet you want to hold someone accountable for things that he was punished for that happened like 7-8 years ago. He did his time. What else do you want? Do you want him to pay a fine to Florida for stealing the laptop? Would you be more okay with him if he spent 30 days in prison during the offseason? Come on man, its not like he was accused of murder or rape. He cheated on some homework and stole a laptop.

Knew I should of prefaced this but post was not about this particular case, more just about personal responsibility and consequences for all players (and people) in general. Should of clarified sooner, my bad.

Knew I should of prefaced this but post was not about this particular case, more just about personal responsibility and consequences for all players (and people) in general. Should of clarified sooner, my bad.

No worries man, I am 100% with you that our society gives the millennial generation way too much slack on so many things and it has led to a group of young people that do not know how to take responsibility for their own actions. I am right there with you on this issue.

I just disagree that this manifests itself in Cam Newton, but that is because you and I have a differing opinion about the type of person that Cam Newton is. There is no way for us to really know that without knowing Cam outside of the realm of football which I don't expect to happen.

• Like 1

I'll go out on a limb and say because people don't like him, just like some don't like Brady, Ben, Peyton, Sherman, Lynch, and any other number of players. The reasons really don't matter, its not something you can change or have rational discussion on most times.

I personally don't like all the over celebration, after a while it just looks staged and more about the player being the focus than the team. After every first down it gets old, no matter who does it. I do like the practice he has of giving the TD ball to kids in the stand.

Worse than Cam though are the guys on defense who celebrate a tackle, that gave up a first down or other big play

So I kind of disliked Newton for a lot of what the media reports. (constant celebrations, his shoes with him dabbing on them, etc)

Then I did a little reading on my own,

Newton v GB touchdown

http://wset.com/news/local/danville-boy-who-recently-lost-father-got-touchdown-ball-from-cam-newton

Cleats v Arizona

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2610714-cam-newtons-cleats-for-nfc-championship-have-the-names-of-his-teammates-on-them

Great Read

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14559236/carolina-panthers-quarterback-cam-newton-unlike-qb-nfl

The only thing I did not like from the Cardinals game was when he ran for a 1st down. I mean he was a beast for the first down, and when he stood up the stadium crew played the superman theme song. That's not Newton's fault, that's game hype.

Am I ready to bow down and absolutely love Cam Newton, no, but I can accept watching him without a spiteful eye and form my own opinion of him and not be clouded by others.

• Like 1

So I kind of disliked Newton for a lot of what the media reports. (constant celebrations, his shoes with him dabbing on them, etc)

Then I did a little reading on my own,

Newton v GB touchdown

http://wset.com/news/local/danville-boy-who-recently-lost-father-got-touchdown-ball-from-cam-newton

Cleats v Arizona

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2610714-cam-newtons-cleats-for-nfc-championship-have-the-names-of-his-teammates-on-them

Great Read

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14559236/carolina-panthers-quarterback-cam-newton-unlike-qb-nfl

The only thing I did not like from the Cardinals game was when he ran for a 1st down. I mean he was a beast for the first down, and when he stood up the stadium crew played the superman theme song. That's not Newton's fault, that's game hype.

Am I ready to bow down and absolutely love Cam Newton, no, but I can accept watching him without a spiteful eye and form my own opinion of him and not be clouded by others.

Everyone appreciates that he gives footballs to kids. It's awesome..they should all do it.

He's still a giant dooosh at times :shrug:

• Like 1

There are plenty of players who do there little look at me after first downs and TDs why is Cam the only one hated for it? Guys like Antonio Brown do all the antics as well and he was just playing in the playoffs a few weeks ago but nobody hated on him. Just don't get how some guys in all sports not just football get hung for things more so than anyone else doing the same exact thing. Just Curious

I for one don't hate or trach Cam for this anymore than any other player that does is. He might get more criticism because he is one of the few/only NFL QBs that does this. Maybe the rookies or 2nd year guys get more leeway.

Honestly I think many people formed their opinions on Cam and other players back in college, and bring that view to the NFL. Whether it was because they played for a rival or did things they didn't like.

And I personally do not bitch about the NFL being the No Fun League, though many others do. I could do with a lot less of the trash talking and showmanship that has become more prominent the last couple decades. Including celebrating every first down, as well as tackles that don't stop the offense.

If anyone has a problem with this, they can get the smoochie off my lawn.

Even at 15-18 they should be responsible, but that is how people seem to think now, so long as you're under 30 (?) you can still act like a frat boy and that's cool. Because if the people watching you perform weren't married with children that's what they'd be doing. I had to listen to this nonsense ad nauseum in any discussion of Manziel. "What'd he do wrong, is drinking illegal.."

Also for those defending Cam, understand people have different views/opinions, they don't need to have a rational reason for disliking a person, its they're personal view. They're also not likely to change their view based on your reasons that Cam is treated unfairly.

I personally like the celebration/gloating/trash talk. I think pro football needs more personality. I mean I don't want like Jerry Springer: pro football battle royale, but I also don't want to feel like I'm watching a business meeting with football pads. I can deal with some bumping and shoving and TD celebrations.

Manning is a noodle-armed old fart with a suspect o-line. That Carolina front 7 could seriously damage him for life.

This is the Seattle Super Bowl all over again.

Denver runs a completely different offense now, and their D is much, much better than it was 2 years ago. No comparison

• Like 3

I never said I was blaming him for it. I was responding specifically to what I quoted. The investigation was a sham and everyone knew it.

Again, my post requires context. The point was made that other players break the law and are still praised, HBTC pointed out that Cam has actually had his own run-in with the law albeit not recently and you stated that you didn't remember anything outside of the Auburn scandal which you said was heavily investigated. As a result I stated my opinion on the investigation as well as filled you in on what you may not have been aware of in Cam's past ie legal trouble. In fact there have been many, many players who have had much more checkered pasts and have truly turned their lives around. And by all accounts, Cam certainly seems to be a good citizen and generally a good guy off the field now with his charitable works and the whole giving the ball thing etc. He deserves much credit for that. But my dislike for him has much more to do with his attitude & demeanor than whether or not he is a law-abiding, moral person, by which all accounts say that he is.

That’s what manning up is about. So you lost… suck up your pride, go out there and give the opposing team their proper due. You learn that in Pop Warner. That game WAS the Superbowl for the Falcons, they deserved better than that (I just threw up in my mouth). Manning was criticized pretty heavily for doing basically the same thing in the past, why can’t Cam be criticized for it as well?

Funny, I actually forgot about that one. I was actually referring to when he ripped the Green Bay fan’s sign out of his hands and when he busted his butt after ripping a Tampa fans jersey out of their hands. That’s 3 known instances just this season. I’m betting there’s more that didn’t get reported. And that doesn’t include taunting fans on opposing sidelines or taunting players. Sorry, I don’t see that as just having fun. I see it as immature and setting a poor example for someone who is supposedly the leader of his team and the face of his franchise.

Once again I don't get the hate, unless he is a rival, such as I don't like too many seahawks, but it seems like there is alot more hate for him because he isn't playing qb the traditional way. Everyone wants him to be like Brady and manning, but he's not. Once again he seems like emotional guy who is playing the game for the love of the game and experiences all the highs and lows with the game. I rather my qb be pissed when they lose, then where most teams act like nothing happened when they lose and just happy the game is over. My opinion is he having fun and far from classless, but he isn't your traditional person and is going to be a polarizing figure who plays at the most important position in the most popular sports league in the US.

Well, admittedly I am a Saints and a Gator fan, so maybe my dislike is a bit more swayed than others. It’s also probably a bit more informed than others since they are a division rival and I get to read a lot of first-hand accounts that never get reported, such as Cam taunting fans on the sidelines. But if you can’t see why some people don’t like him then you’re not really watching or you just don’t care. Many people just expect more out of someone who is supposed to be a leader and now being billed as the new face of the NFL. They just happen to prefer someone who is more poised, more humble and respectful of other players, other fans and the game itself. There is a difference between being confident & even a little cocky and being brash and arrogant. IF that’s what you like and what you want to see then to each his own.

And for the record, I don’t hate the guy at all. I think he is a fantastic QB & athlete and doesn’t get enough credit for his passing ability. I also admire him for the charitable work & think the ball thing is great. I just don’t like the immature side of him. Is it just him having fun? Probably so, but when it’s at the expense of others and is setting IMO a bad example then it just bothers me.

Dammit... I spent a lot of time replying to this and when I tried to post it lost the whole friggin thing. :mad:

This is my 2nd attempt, hoping I don't leave anything out. :kicksrock:

• Like 2

First of all, I think it is pretty unfair to hold what happened to this dude in college against him now.

I wasn't holding it against him and didn't intent for my post to imply that. See my previous post for an explanation.

I & others have given several examples other than the celebrations and his past has only just come up, which, again, I wasn't holding against him.

This is twice now I've replied to a post and it throws me back into the main index and loses what I typed. :mad:

• Like 1

Rajn appreciate the insight. Perhaps different definition of classless and immature was the wrong statement. It is more a matter of a differing interpretation of the things that Cam does. Respect what you have to say and you bring up solid instances to prove your point.

• Like 1