[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Patriots cut Edelman, announced retirement.

Big John

Wow, the fall from grace!  Maybe he goes down and visits Brady and Gronk. 

Nelson Agholor
Kendrick Bourne

N'Keal Harry

Jakobi Meyers

Yeah, maybe not the strongest crew in the NFL. And that's after upgrading it.

• Big John changed the title to Patriots cut Edelman, announced retirement.
2 minutes ago, Big John said:

He just announced his retirement, per NFLN.

Yup, good for him as the injuries certainly piled up. Great career for a really gritty guy.

Another forum I'm on somebody posed the "does he get into HOF" question, most said he does not, or at least should not. I'd have to agree, he was never an All Pro or Pro Bowl selection, he was never the best receiver in a single season. Some will point to his post season stats, being so good that only Jerry Rice was better. But that ignores the chance that a perennial contender has in racking up playoff stats, nor the likelihood of more playoff games in the more recent times of NFL. 

This NFL.com story posed the question to bunch of their staffers, and they were pretty evenly split but leaned a bit towards NOT HOF. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/is-former-patriots-receiver-julian-edelman-a-hall-of-famer

43 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

I'd have to agree, he was never an All Pro or Pro Bowl selection, he was never the best receiver in a single season. Some will point to his post season stats, being so good that only

I agree, nice player good career but nothing more. Far from a Hall of Famer. Nobody was scared when Edelman came to town. 

42 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

I agree, nice player good career but nothing more. Far from a Hall of Famer. Nobody was scared when Edelman came to town. 

Did you read the linked article, particularly what DeAngelo Hall said?

"I lined up across from Edelman during my career and he gave me just as many problems as Hall of Fame receivers Terrell Owens and Randy Moss. That's saying something. "

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

Did you read the linked article, particularly what DeAngelo Hall said?

"I lined up across from Edelman during my career and he gave me just as many problems as Hall of Fame receivers Terrell Owens and Randy Moss. That's saying something. "

Because of the offense maybe.  Not of him specifically.

3 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Another forum I'm on somebody posed the "does he get into HOF" question, most said he does not, or at least should not. I'd have to agree, he was never an All Pro or Pro Bowl selection, he was never the best receiver in a single season. Some will point to his post season stats, being so good that only Jerry Rice was better. But that ignores the chance that a perennial contender has in racking up playoff stats, nor the likelihood of more playoff games in the more recent times of NFL. 

This NFL.com story posed the question to bunch of their staffers, and they were pretty evenly split but leaned a bit towards NOT HOF. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/is-former-patriots-receiver-julian-edelman-a-hall-of-famer

Edleman shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Rice & I'm not the biggest Rice fan. I'd put Ellard in the HoF before I put Edelman and he probably won't get in at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SNOWBOUND33 said:

I don't completely agree with that at all. Having played football myself as a DB, smaller, super fast/agile, quick- twitch dudes were just as difficult to cover as tall, physically imposing guys, just in a different light. 

2 hours ago, SNOWBOUND33 said:

Yeah I think that is the point. He gave him problems bc he was a precision receiver and Brady was a precision passer so their timing was perfect. Edelman was good and tough, I just don't see him as HOF. 

Edited by purplemonster

5 hours ago, League_Champion said:

I can't believe we are even having this conversation. Has everyone gone mad? Nice player, Hall of Famer? HELL NO! 

I don't think anyone seriously thinks he is HOF worthy. I am sure some DB's did hate playing against him. He was quick, had great timing, and was giving 110% every play. That said getting five or six 10 yard receptions a game for 7-8 years doesn't make you HOF worthy, especially with the best in the business throwing to you. 

Yeah, have to agree, don't think too many are fighting for it or saying he's HoF worthy. He played with the greatest QB, or one of the greatest QBs of all time, and in his prime was like trying to cover a juiced-up squirrel running routes from the slot.  He was the next version of Wes Welker, and he's not going to the HoF.

Bill Belichick marvels at Julian Edelman’s transition from a college quarterback

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 16, 2021, 4:44 AM EDT
Getty Images

When Julian Edelman arrived in New England in 2009, he was a seventh-round draft pick who had an uphill battle just to make the roster after playing quarterback at Kent State. Patriots coach Bill Belichick marvels at how Edelman carved out a spot for himself at the NFL level.

Belichick said that of all the players he has coached, he can’t think of one who has improved as much as Edelman, who had to learn how to play wide receiver and punt returner and did that at a very high level, and even played cornerback when the Patriots asked him to.

“Julian’s been one of the players that’s probably come further than most every other player that I’ve coached,” Belichick said. “His development from a quarterback in college to a receiver, punt returner and even a defensive player, all positions that he never played. To excel as a punt return and receiver for a number of years at those difficult positions is quite an accomplishment, especially considering that he didn’t do those things, wasn’t trained to do them, in college. His toughness, his competitiveness, his playmaking ability was a big part of the backbone of our team. I have a ton of respect for Julian, what he accomplished in his career, how hard he worked to accomplish it, and I have a great appreciation for al he’s done for me personally and our organization.”

Edelman announced his retirement this week after a 12-year NFL career, all in New England.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/04/16/bill-belichick-marvels-at-julian-edelmans-transition-from-a-college-quarterback/

Edited by purplemonster

Uggh and fools in the comments take that to be an endorsement (or support for) Edelman making the HOF.

Somebody mentioned how much better Wes Welker looked when he went from the Dolphins to the Pats. Great QBs make the rest of the offense look better. 

A big part of Welker's success was more opportunity as he averaged over 150 targets per season, compared to about 60 per season on other teams in his career.