[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Matt Nagy is taking heat about Fields' crummy first start

Wolverines Fan

He looked like the proverbial deer in the headlights. 

One thing all star players on top college teams (especially QBs who usually go to crappy NFL teams) need to understand and prepare for is LOSING and lots of it. You're not going to win almost every game and lose just 1-2, not even the best NFL teams do that. And on a bad team you're going to lose more often than you win, and some of those losses are going to be embarrassing beat downs. They guy sounds very depressed in his post game interview, I've seen other players go thru this losing and be broken by it. Could see it on the sideline too, he was beaten down, tired and frustrated. As one reporter said he was the best player on the field during most of his college games, but there are no Garretts at Rutgers. 

Nagy takes heat, of course. Could they have done more to move him around, maybe but I'm not sure it leads to much more success. Sounds like he took saying "It starts with me, it ends with me, it’s as simple as that". 

1 hour ago, darin3 said:

Nagy is a complete idiot.  How do you not play to the guy's strengths?  

Just fire the guy now, suck the rest of the year and hire a young up-and-comer next year.

I didn't watch. Can't do it, won't do it.

Maybe Nagy gets his papers after a loss to the Lions. Maybe it will be after GB wins by 40.

Some of these same commentators on this forum and other websites were saying to start Fields because Dalton's sucks. There used to be a time when a QB would develop for a year or two on the sidelines. Fields is not ready, and this coaching staff sucks. Get him on the bench and put Dalton back out there before someone's career is over before it starts. 

so the main complaints seem to be how they moved him around?  how about handing the ball off?  i was going back and forth between the Chiefs/Chargers game and this one. I have Montgomery on 2 teams this year. At one point in the 2nd half between 3 possessions they had Fields drop back 11 straight plays, no real handoffs, no fake handoffs, no rpo,  no use of the good RB they have at all.  I went back to the other game and stayed there.

Edited by BillyBalata

35 minutes ago, BillyBalata said:

so the main complaints seem to be how they moved him around?  how about handing the ball off?  i was going back and forth between the Chiefs/Chargers game and this one. I have Montgomery on 2 teams this year. At one point in the 2nd half between 3 possessions they had Fields drop back 11 straight plays, no real handoffs, no fake handoffs, no rpo,  no use of the good RB they have at all.  I went back to the other game and stayed there.

Running game was not going well, Montgomery got 16 yards on his first of 10 attempts, then 18 the rest of the way. Fields ran it 3 times for 12 yards, 7 on his first carry, both in the first series which followed a Browns fumble and gave the Bears an early lead on a FG, they gained 24 yards and failed to convert a 3rd and 2, by Montgomery who had 3 carries on the drive.

2nd series sack, Monty for 2-, incomplete, punt

3rd series pass for 9, Monty for 6, pass for 9, incomp, penalty (on 3rd & 1), sack

meaningless play to end half with a holding call to boot

2nd half  - where you see no rushing attempts, Montgomery with 3, Fields with 2

drive 1 - incomp, incomp, sack

drive 2 - Monty for 2, incomp, sack

drive 3 - incomp, incomp, comp for 18, incomp, Fields for 1, comp-but holding, intercepted-but def PI, Monty for 5, sack, comp for 11, FG (on 4th & 2 at CLE4 cut lead to 7)