[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL owners approve overtime rules change for the playoffs

Wolverines Fan

23 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

Dislike

They should've gone with time, like 10 minute periods... As the regular part of the game is done

I tend to agree. At least do timed to start, then if still tied a sudden death where each team gets a shot until one team doesn't score. 

I figured this would happen and I don't hate it. Just wonder why it didn't get changed when Mahomes was the one who missed a chance to perform in OT when the Pats beat them with Brady? 

Having the OT period in playoffs use the original 15min is also going to be important, because 2 TD scoring drives could eat a lot of clock time barely leaving time for another drive. 

I don't agree with endless tries by both teams to score until one fails, that sounds like NCAA OT rules which are very hokey and not like real football removing kickoffs, and forcing 2p conversions etc. And I'm pretty sure the NFL's TV partners would not like the prospect of games lasting until who knows when. Might be OK for the SB or the last game slot each day, but not when you have another game scheduled to start 3.5 hours after it kicks off. 

This would be a lot easier if the QB's just had a duel at the 50 yard line.  Perhaps with exploding footballs at 30 yards.  We'd get rid of some noodle arm QB's.  :)

23 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Can we please eliminate the tie? No game should ever end in a tie. 

How many games end in a tie in a given year? Or over say 10 seasons?

Its less than one per year, closer to 1/2 since OT was introduced in 1974 (27 times in 45+ years).  Prior to OT rules 5-6 tie games were more the average. 

Having games possibly go on forever is not something the TV partners want, and they are the money in the NFL 

I did not agree with the change to 10min in OT, as that can result in more ties. And the reasoning offered by the league was pretty weak, mostly safety like 60 and 70 min games are OK, but 5 more as too much. That may have also been a TV thing as we've evolved over the decades from a 3hour window, to 3hr 15min, and now closer to 3.5 hours (2nd game of double headers used to start at 4PM Eastern, then 4:15, and now 4:25). 

51 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Seriously, what's wrong with you? 

I can't believe I'm doing this, but I'm slowly coming over to the L_C side of this petty crap that's been going on in this forum.  Steve, you really gotta step back and evaluate.  This has gone way beyond Archie Bunker grumpiness.  :shrug:  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

He's out dicking me, haha. 

Not exactly.  It's just that you've poked and prodded and pushed all the buttons for so long that now he over-reacts to anything you say in reply.  I liken it to an animal that's been beaten in the past that now is over-aggressive towards just about anyone and anything.

15 minutes ago, darin3 said:

Not exactly.  It's just that you've poked and prodded and pushed all the buttons for so long that now he over-reacts to anything you say in reply.  I liken it to an animal that's been beaten in the past that now is over-aggressive towards just about anyone and anything.

Naaa, I just call it like I see it. He's always been a dick to everyone. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, darin3 said:

And yet he keeps prodding and poking at every turn. I guess I'll try to limit my outbursts to tailgate where everything goes and most people don't bother reading. 

It also doesn't help when I have a bunch of other users calling me out any time I reply to LC, but almost never say something to him. 

Yes I'm angry, lots of crap going on, some I'm not going to share with a bunch of people I barely "know". Sorry I'm bothering so many people. 

Seems to me that this reverses the overtime coin toss thinking.  Now you would likely rather get the ball 2nd then 1st so you can see what you need to do.

I wonder if NFL teams will view it the same way.  The risk of course with taking the ball 2nd is if both teams do not score on the 1st drive or both teams score a FG on the 1st drive the team getting ball first now has advantage.  Team getting ball 2nd would have advantage though if the team getting ball first does not score or scores a TD as they will kick the XP and then having ball 2nd you will now know you have to go for it on 4th down and if you score you are going for the 2 pointer to win.

14 hours ago, Henry Muto said:

Seems to me that this reverses the overtime coin toss thinking.  Now you would likely rather get the ball 2nd then 1st so you can see what you need to do.

I wonder if NFL teams will view it the same way.  The risk of course with taking the ball 2nd is if both teams do not score on the 1st drive or both teams score a FG on the 1st drive the team getting ball first now has advantage.  Team getting ball 2nd would have advantage though if the team getting ball first does not score or scores a TD as they will kick the XP and then having ball 2nd you will now know you have to go for it on 4th down and if you score you are going for the 2 pointer to win.

I've heard some who think it will be that way. But it dismisses any chance of the team scoring the TD second going for 1 to tie. 

Since it only impacts playoffs, and we don't see that many of them, about 1 per year, its going to take a while to see how it works. 

On 3/31/2022 at 3:31 PM, darin3 said:

If I may, I've been on forums since the old school bbs in the mid 90's.  People come across sites like this when they search for something they're interested in.  Controversy is fine, and often drives views, but if it gets personal it can also deter new members.  

I get there is a feud and it obviously predates my time here but I would suggest that L_C and Steve give some consideration to the site owners.  When the bickering becomes insulting and petty, it deters people from joining the site.  I used to be very heavily invlolved in various car forums and a lot of them devolved to bickering bs that wasn't related to the core of what began the forum. It drove away membership and killed sites that had been around for over a decade.  Out of respect to the site and its owners, please consider what you type before hitting submit.  

I mentioned this in the Tailgate and since then I started a business and am about to start another.  Add that to a divorce and I'm a bit cash strapped.  But it holds true that if y'all want to visit Nashville I will fly both Steve and L_C here to meet in person, at which point I suspect they'll discover they have far more in common than they realize.  Or they'll kill each other, which is cool because it will save me the cost of the flights back.  Funny thing, I've lived all over this great country and the states where I've found the people most eager to argue came from two in particular.  I'll let y'all figure out which two lol.

In all seriousness though, please give respect to the site.  It does make a difference for its future and the two of you do have valued opinions.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1