[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Amon-Ra St. Brown 2022 Projection

Shaft

He ended last season hot, but there was little competition for receptions with Hockenson injured. Now they have Chark, Williams, Reynolds and a healthy Hockenson; this doesn't include those receiving RBs. It's important to note he did not have a single drop. Will he be Goff's new Kupp or Woods? What's his ceiling? WR2? Or was the end of last season lightning in a bottle?

I also saw the Huddle had this article on him:

https://thehuddle.com/2022/08/15/fantasy-football-spotlight-wr-amon-ra-st-brown-lions/

Thoughts? 

I seriously doubt he will continue the numbers from the end of last season.  Not with the additions of Chark and Williams and return of Hockenson and Swift to boot.

With the price he's going for in redrafts, I'd rather pick someone that won't have so much competition for targets.  That said, he was a revelation and could be the team's #1 WR which may warrant the price.

So... yeah... I'm on the fence.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Finn5033 said:

I’ll take him if he drops but I agree with last season being more of a result of the circumstances. I have a soft spot for him cause he basically won me one of my leagues last year with his big games in the fantasy playoffs.

I've seen him going in Round 7 of drafts (12-team PPR). That's tempting if he can put up WR2 numbers.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Shaft said:

I've seen him going in Round 7 of drafts (12-team PPR). That's tempting if he can put up WR2 numbers.

I would likely consider in the 7th, but according to MFL's current ADP he is going #59 overall (so 5th round in a 12-teamer).  I think he's a risk in the 5th.

Edited by darin3
  • Thanks 1

I have no doubt the Lions will be playing from behind a lot and have to throw the ball. Swift and Hockenson are gonna see a fair amount of those throws. St. Brown has skills or wouldn't have put up the numbers he did.even if Swift and Hockenson we're absent. They brought in Chark but he won't put up fantasy relevant points but on occassion. Amon-Ra will be their WR1 for now but he's not gonna see the targets he did late last year. Once Jameson Williams gets back healthy and playing he'll eat into St.Brown's targets. So I'd rank Amon-Ra in the 28- 35 range for receivers.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2022 at 9:16 AM, Docniner said:

I have no doubt the Lions will be playing from behind a lot and have to throw the ball. Swift and Hockenson are gonna see a fair amount of those throws. St. Brown has skills or wouldn't have put up the numbers he did.even if Swift and Hockenson we're absent. They brought in Chark but he won't put up fantasy relevant points but on occassion. Amon-Ra will be their WR1 for now but he's not gonna see the targets he did late last year. Once Jameson Williams gets back healthy and playing he'll eat into St.Brown's targets. So I'd rank Amon-Ra in the 28- 35 range for receivers.

Williams can eat into his target share but I dont see that till way later into the season or until next year. Williams will be on IR for awhile and then it will take him alittle bit to get going. I see St. Brown as the main guy for atleast 75% - 85% of the season. St. Brown has a chip on his shoulders and he is there to cause havoc. Its when it becomes playoff time for fantasy we will need to keep an eye on him. 

I was buying the Amon Ra hype for this upcoming season - it's not often that a WR goes off like that and the chemistry was there.

However, yesterday I was listening to a conversation between Sigmund Bloom and Chris Harris and now I have some 2nd thoughts. Sig was talking to Chris about how Chris watches literally every game during the season and Sig asked him: what's the one thing you wished people knew who don't watch all the tape like you do? His answer was that he didn't think Amon Ra's stats were sustainable, or something like that. Basically he said that an offense that targets the slot 10-12 times a game is not a healthy, well-functioning offense. So, the idea was that if Detroit is going to get better they're not going to keep doing that.

So, even though I think Amon Ra has all the talent to continue a hot streak, I wonder if the Lions won't try and diversify the offense - maybe with Chark and Williams if/when he comes along this year.

On 8/22/2022 at 10:16 AM, Docniner said:

I'd rank Amon-Ra in the 28- 35 range for receivers.

I think he deserves a little more love than that. He's still a legit WR1 on a team that will be throwing early and often. I have him ranked higher than the market, probably in that 20ish WR range. I can't put guys like Jeudy ahead of him. 

33 minutes ago, stethant said:

I was buying the Amon Ra hype for this upcoming season - it's not often that a WR goes off like that and the chemistry was there.

However, yesterday I was listening to a conversation between Sigmund Bloom and Chris Harris and now I have some 2nd thoughts. Sig was talking to Chris about how Chris watches literally every game during the season and Sig asked him: what's the one thing you wished people knew who don't watch all the tape like you do? His answer was that he didn't think Amon Ra's stats were sustainable, or something like that. Basically he said that an offense that targets the slot 10-12 times a game is not a healthy, well-functioning offense. So, the idea was that if Detroit is going to get better they're not going to keep doing that.

So, even though I think Amon Ra has all the talent to continue a hot streak, I wonder if the Lions won't try and diversify the offense - maybe with Chark and Williams if/when he comes along this year.

You can't diversify an offense with a QB like Goff. He is what he is. And that offense you saw him command under center shouldn't change much regardless of who they have added. JMHO

• Like 1