[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

1st NFL Black Friday

Dcat

Miami Dolphins @ New York Jets

Friday, November 24, 2023
3:00 PM EST.

As a season ticket holder, I love this.  Why? It's NOT a night game thankfully and no work (or school for kids)  the next day.  Should be a fun time as long as no rain.   I usually hate attending SNF,MNF,TNF for the most part.   Get home around midnight or later depending on start time, school/work for most the next day. I'm a Sunday 1pm fan.  But I am really going to like Black Friday at 3pm.

black friday.png

Is this an extra feature/national game that week? Or is it replacing some other feature game, like Thanksgiving night. 

I haven't seen much about this year's schedule. Found this link below with some more announcements and it says the full schedule comes out Thursday.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2023-nfl-schedule-release-reveal-may-10

3 hours ago, Def. said:

Games not on Sunday are stupid.

We all know more primetime games are a money maker, but it greatly benefits fans as well.

If we only had 2 timeslots on Sun, I can only watch 2 games a week. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 1fastdoc said:

You only want to watch football on day per week??

Yes, I prefer to watch a quality product one day and two nights (MNF) a week rather then trying to force it on to numerous days and it be generally trash because of lack of time to prep and recover.  :shrug:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Def. said:

Yes, I prefer to watch a quality product one day and two nights (MNF) a week rather then trying to force it on to numerous days and it be generally trash because of lack of time to prep and recover.  :shrug:

You said MNF is stupid though.  

On the recover note, that is an intersting point that is often factored in to odds if one team is operating on a short week.  But is it really an issue for a 24 year old elite athlete?  

11 minutes ago, 1fastdoc said:

You said MNF is stupid though.  

On the recover note, that is an intersting point that is often factored in to odds if one team is operating on a short week.  But is it really an issue for a 24 year old elite athlete? 

No I didn't, I made a generalized statement. 

Sorry but I'm not clicking on a reddit started by a peon.  :lol: 

I honestly don't have a problem with holiday games, I like how Thanksgiving days games were special. 

Thursday night games as a whole, black friday (which why is this special exactly?), Saturday games just because college isn't playing, yada yada yada.  Its unnecessary.  Its dilution that is not making the product better, its just making more money.  I'm sure its great for couch potatoes, but many can't take that all in.  And why would they want to?  The games are generally just not good.  

And for the fantasy side, I absolutely hate having to figure out partial lineups or check injury reports days before the rest my squad goes.  I don't personally know a single person that does enjoy it.  Fantasy is becoming more effort then it's worth.     

• Like 1

On 5/10/2023 at 9:34 PM, Def. said:

Games not on Sunday are stupid.

Games not on Sunday shown nationally give us more games to watch each week. Don't care about the game, don't watch. The game would have likely been buried in regional coverage so you would have no chance of see it, or get it instead of a better game.

I know there are arguments about player rest, risk of injury etc. But the Thursday games are here to stay, so long as NFL can get somebody to pay big money to broadcast them. (And I believe Amazon paid quite a bit to get in on the NFL action.)

Now the Jets are rallying to make it a permanent thing.  And Bengals have made the same ptich.

While great for STH's who don't have to work on that day, this seriously sucks for STHs/fans who do not have Black Friday off.  And that is a significant share of the audience.  Maybe consider moving it to a Fri night game instead of 3 pm?

On 5/17/2023 at 9:48 AM, Dcat said:

Now the Jets are rallying to make it a permanent thing.  And Bengals have made the same ptich.

While great for STH's who don't have to work on that day, this seriously sucks for STHs/fans who do not have Black Friday off.  And that is a significant share of the audience.  Maybe consider moving it to a Fri night game instead of 3 pm?

They can't.  They have agreements - not sure who with exactly - with entities leaving Friday nights exclusive for HS/college football.

On 5/17/2023 at 12:48 PM, Dcat said:

All of the college students have that Friday off. It could be one of their targets.

22 hours ago, darin3 said:

They can't.  They have agreements - not sure who with exactly - with entities leaving Friday nights exclusive for HS/college football.

I wasn't sure if it was an actual law or something, so I looked it up.  Sports Broadcasting Act (SBA) of 1961

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_Broadcasting_Act_of_1961