[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Top running backs plan a Zoom call for Saturday night

Riffraff

Would be interesting to be a fly on the Zoom wall during the meeting.

--------------

Top running backs plan a Zoom call for Saturday night

It started as a group text exchange on Monday. Next, disgruntled NFL running backs will meet via Zoom to discuss their depressed market.

Per multiple sources, the session is scheduled for Saturday night.

Chargers running back Austin Ekeler has organized the meeting and distributed the Zoom link. All of the big-name running backs have been invited.

The NFL Players Association apparently will be involved in some capacity. Frankly, however, the union has a conflict of interest on this. From the NFLPA’s perspective, every dollar that goes to a player who plays one position takes a dollar away from a player who plays a different position. (That’s why, frankly, each position should have its own bargaining unit.) Likewise, NFLPA president JC Tretter recently offered less-than-ideal advice for running backs who hope to create leverage.

The group needs leadership in the form of someone who knows the market for running backs, understands why it is depressed, has concrete ideas for improving the situation — and is committed to enhancing running back pay even if it means, for example, quarterbacks getting less.

There’s one way the union can spearhead this effort without robbing Peter to pay Paul. The best idea, first hatched by Chris Simms while we were discussing Ekeler’s situation earlier this year on PFT Live, is to create a league-wide fund that pays running backs as they go for playing time, rushing attempts, rushing yards, receptions, receiving yards, and touchdowns. This will supplement the bargain-basement rookie deals under which most running backs are working when they are doing their best work.

If the NFLPA agrees with this approach, the next challenge becomes getting the league to go along with it. And that’s where things can get tricky; the union would likely have to make a concession of some sort to get the NFL to do it. If that concession affects players who don’t play running back, why would those players want to make the deal?

Thus, there might be no good solution for this specific problem. At least the running backs are trying to come up with one. Hopefully, someone will recommend a strategy that makes their situation better, not worse.

I don't think they'll achieve anything of this magnitude; it's a complete revamping of the standard structure of contracts for only one singular position in football. The owners will never go for it because it will just open the floodgates for every other position wanting the same setup. They already hold all the cards since new players who have dreamed since childhood to play in the NFL come out of college EVERY YEAR... there's a virtually unlimited supply with a minimal demand, unfortunately.

• Like 1

NFL star running backs Christian McCaffrey, Najee Harris, J.K, Dobbins, Nick Chubb, Derrick Henry, Jonathan Taylor, Josh Jacobs, Saquon Barkley, Aaron Jones, Tony Pollard, and Joe Mixon were in attendance for Austin Ekeler’s Zoom Meeting in collaboration with the NFLPA to discuss the depressed market for backs, per league sources.

Dalvin Cook was invited but was on a flight home from his football camp for kids.

Interesting idea but sounds pretty far out there. Doubt the league goes for it without something big in return. Also not sure its fair for the NFLPA to be doing some extra fund to help one position because of some belief they are underpaid or undervalued. 

39 minutes ago, Big John said:

Josh Jacobs flew out of Las Vegas with no intent of returning any time soon.

Just read an article about this. Apparently word is he’s seriously considering sitting out into the regular season if need be.

I’m not an NFL player so obviously I can’t relate but I don’t see hold outs helping these guys at all. The market for them is down because they are easily replaceable. At least that’s the way front offices see it. Look at what happened with Leveon Bell. He sat out a season, cost himself a bunch of money and was never the same player. If they aren’t worth what they feel they should be right now, sitting out a season is going to diminish their value further. Take the guaranteed 10mil and try again next year.

Gee I sure hope he plays a full season, was counting on him to be a part of my core when I have to pick 5 keepers. Some of the others I thought would pan out are already looking less appealing. First I trade for Kyler Murray just a couple weeks before he gets injured. Then question marks around Jacobs for this year, no other clear RB2 (maybe Mattison) and plenty of question marks in my WR group (Adams was good last year on fewer looks, not sure what to expect with Jimmy G or if he's unhappy with the reunion with Carr was cut short, will have another 1-2 from Cooper/Gallup/Pittman).

Teams have learned from the Cowboys mistake. Elliot held them hostage , we caved and he declined in skills and we had an albatross contract 

1 hour ago, Bier Meister said:

just like @wiegie, these guys get pounded  and generally have shorter careers than other positions.

used the wrong wiegie account.  This if from when league forums were separate.  Use @wiegie instead.  And he hadn't visited since 2016.

Taylor met with owner and then requested trade.

Colts website shows Deon Jackson as RB1. Taylor not listed on depth chart or roster.

If players can drop the team from social media, teams can drop players too!

(depth chart left over from last year since they have no QB, but roster shows all 3 QBs - ah he's in the PUP section)

Edited by Riffraff

2 hours ago, Riffraff said:

Taylor met with owner and then requested trade.

Colts website shows Deon Jackson as RB1. Taylor not listed on depth chart or roster.

If players can drop the team from social media, teams can drop players too!

(depth chart left over from last year since they have no QB, but roster shows all 3 QBs - ah he's in the PUP section)

One of my good friend's son is Evan Hull, who is in there with Deon Jackson and Zack Moss. Will be interesting if Taylor isn't there, he might get some solid playing time. He's a rookie taken in the 5th round. 

8 hours ago, purplemonster said:

One of my good friend's son is Evan Hull, who is in there with Deon Jackson and Zack Moss. Will be interesting if Taylor isn't there, he might get some solid playing time. He's a rookie taken in the 5th round. 

I drafted him dynasty, he's a good all around back. He has an ideal size with great hands.

• Like 1