[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lions Bucs

1 hour ago, whomper said:

and here they are. at least the second best team in the nfc

Well, the certainly made it to the NFC conference championship game.  Someone emphatically stated they were heads and shoulders above almost everyone in the NFC and my take was that Dan Campbell man crushes were clouding judgement.  They did spank Tampa after squeaking by the Rams, a 7 seed, at home.  I speculate GB could have given them everything they could handle.  If Detroit can be competitive or win against San Fran, then it's different story.  Detroit's pass D is pretty shoddy at best and I think the lesser knowledgeable football fan gets reminded of that if Purdy plays well (I also think Goff is probably overdue for a 2 to 3 turnover game). If San Fran wins easy, it's another line of evidence that the 2nd best NFC team evah wasn't really distinguishable from the 6th and 7h. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, Bobby Brown said:

Well, the certainly made it to the NFC conference championship game.  Someone emphatically stated they were heads and shoulders above almost everyone in the NFC and my take was that Dan Campbell man crushes were clouding judgement.  They did spank Tampa after squeaking by the Rams, a 7 seed, at home.  I speculate GB could have given them everything they could handle.  If Detroit can be competitive or win against San Fran, then it's different story.  Detroit's pass D is pretty shoddy at best and I think the lesser knowledgeable football fan gets reminded of that if Purdy plays well (I also think Goff is probably overdue for a 2 to 3 turnover game). If San Fran wins easy, it's another line of evidence that the 2nd best NFC team evah wasn't really distinguishable from the 6th and 7h. 

The argument that they are for real and as good as some suggested is answered . The answer doesnt lie in them beating SF . Ill admit , I waivered on them during a rough patch of the season but I knew early on there was something in the air with this team.  Ang SF just squeezed by GB who werent highly seeded as well. Your rams point is a little flimsy 

• Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, whomper said:

The argument that they are for real and as good as some suggested is answered .

Yes - empirical/factual evidence shows they were one point better than the 6 seed with home field advantage. 

ETA 7 to 6

Edited by Bobby Brown

5 minutes ago, Bobby Brown said:

Yes - I agree they were one point better than the 7 seed with home field advantage. 

Excuse me handsome. GB was the 7th seed and the 1 seed just beat them by 3 with homefield advantage 

Bend the knee ! 

Edited by whomper

1 minute ago, whomper said:

excuse me handsome GB was the 7th seed and the 1 seed just beat them by 3 with homefield advantage 

Exactly!  Let's compare how Detroit does against the same team next to get a definitive answer!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

Exactly!  Let's compare how Detroit does against the same team next to get a definitive answer!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

Delusional 

Name calling because my unpopular take is supported by a weight of evidence instead of bandwagon fandom is not respectful.  I do understand it's probably frustrating to be wrong though. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I will say for a 7 seed GB was looking awfully good by the end. The Rams to an extent were on the rise as well but they seemed somewhat shakier. I'd say playing the Rams and Bucs are an awfully nice matchups playoff wise. I think the Lions are good, but not quite there yet personally. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

Name calling because my unpopular take is supported by a weight of evidence instead of bandwagon fandom is not respectful.  I do understand it's probably frustrating to be wrong though. 

A weight of evidence like you scoffing at the idea of Detroit being top 4 in the NFC only to watch them rise to the conference championship? 

It really makes no difference whatsoever what happens this week, even if San Francisco completely blows them out, you're still wrong. But you go on pretending to enjoy heaving that goalpost around the field because I'm getting more entertainment out of watching you crawfish than I am watching any of these games.

Very respectfully, of course... :lol:

Edited by rajncajn
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, purplemonster said:

I will say for a 7 seed GB was looking awfully good by the end. The Rams to an extent were on the rise as well but they seemed somewhat shakier. I'd say playing the Rams and Bucs are an awfully nice matchups playoff wise. I think the Lions are good, but not quite there yet personally. 

Nobody cares what I think. But, winning two games by a total of 9 points in a home dome where the fans were rabid? Wins were expected, but hardly dominant or overly impressive.

What Houston did in that situation was impressive and then getting thumped on the road the next week is a bit of foreshadowing for the Lions.

28 minutes ago, gilthorp said:

Nobody cares what I think. But, winning two games by a total of 9 points in a home dome where the fans were rabid? Wins were expected, but hardly dominant or overly impressive.

What Houston did in that situation was impressive and then getting thumped on the road the next week is a bit of foreshadowing for the Lions.

Nobody should ever ask a Bears fan to prop up a division rival. That would be like asking me to admit Tampa is any good without Brady.

1 minute ago, gilthorp said:

I watch football and call it as I see it. Detroit has been fine. Me following the Bears has nothing to do with it.

That was said in jest. You know your opinion is valued, as does Bobby his for that matter. I'm just enjoying him be wrong and watching him try to be coy about it.

Nobody here feels Detroit will be able to contend with San Francisco, but that's kinda the point we were making. They were good enough to make the playoffs and be a top 4 conference team and they more than proved that. Even the person who made that statement said that he still thought the top two were head and shoulders above anyone else, yet here we are with Detroit still proving people wrong. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rajncajn said:

A weight of evidence like you scoffing at the idea of Detroit being top 4 in the NFC only to watch them rise to the conference championship? 

Detroit deserves kudos for making it the NFC conference championship game. But here is some weight of evidence:

- Detroit won a lot of games with an easy regular season schedule.  

- Detroit went 2-2 against the Packers and Bears in their division and swept the Vikings. 

- Detroit went 2-1 against two 9 game winning teams, two being 9-8 Tampa and 9-8 New Orleans; neither of those games was dominant. They also lost to the 9-8 Seahawks at home.  Kudos for beating the 9-8 Rams at home in the playoffs by one point; but all these teams on this bullet point, are all arguably logical comparisons. 

- Detroit played 3 teams with 11 plus wins, they went 1-2 and the reason for losing to Baltimore by 30+ points was apparently because they had a bad day.  I'd offer the alternative; Baltimore is head and shoulders a more complete team.  

- The San Fran game will be telling to anyone being intellectually honest about Detroit's "dominance", because besides beating KC by 1 in the week 1, Detroit has won games against lesser teams and generally squeaked by a few good teams. 

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

Detroit deserves kudos for making it the NFC conference championship game. But here is some weight of evidence:

- Detroit won a lot of games with an easy regular season schedule.  

- Detroit went 2-2 against the Packers and Bears in their division and swept the Vikings. 

- Detroit went 2-1 against two 9 game winning teams, two being 9-8 Tampa and 9-8 New Orleans; neither of those games was dominant. They also lost to the 9-8 Seahawks at home.  Kudos for beating the 9-8 Rams at home in the playoffs by one point; but all these teams on this bullet point, are all arguably logical comparisons. 

- Detroit played 3 teams with 11 plus wins, they went 1-2 and the reason for losing to Baltimore by 30+ points was apparently because they had a bad day.  I'd offer the alternative; Baltimore is head and shoulders a more complete team.  

- The San Fran game will be telling to anyone being intellectually honest about Detroit's "dominance", because besides beating KC by 1 in the week 1, Detroit has won games against lesser teams and generally squeaked by a few good teams. 

Why you're wrong in a single bullet point:

- The entire premise of your rebuttal is based off an argument no one made.

You can't win every argument by overstating or exaggerating someone else's position.

• Thanks 1

A couple things.  The Bucs were good before Brady and won a Superbowl, they have the most SB wins in their division. 

I think the Lions have a chance Sunday, it is why we play the games and don't just hands teams trophies based on pre-season predictions. 

As one of the people who claimed many weeks ago that the Lions were top 4 in the NFC, I find it hilarious that somebody still wants to claim otherwise. Or pretend that if they get blown out by the 49ers it means the Lions were not in fact top 4. The Eagles flamed out, so did the Cowboys. I'd say the Packers, Rams and Bucs all showed more in the playoffs than those 2 who were considered among the best in the NFC. 

People are acting like the 49ers are undefeated entering this game, oh right that happened to a team not long ago, they lost to the massive underdog. 

Do I expect the Lions to win, no. But I also don't expect people to think upsets don't happen considering we've all seen it occur in football. A few bad bounces and a game could easily turn. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bobby Brown said:

Facts aren't wrong.  I realize you don't like them. But they are what they are. 

:lol:

Yes, and the fact is that you laughed at the idea that Detroit was top 4 in the NFC and now you've been proven wrong. You bringing the consensus top team into the equation doesn't make you any less wrong. 

facts3.gif.aa4f93552e83ba7cf9bdc626f328d205.gif

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

Yes, and the fact is that you laughed at the idea that Detroit was top 4 in the NFC 

You continue to be wrong about things.  

The point I argued against was Gopher stating that Detroit was unequivocally "top 3 at worst."  My position was that the NFC was parity after 1-2 teams and a substantial amount of factual metrics, that you don't like, support the accuracy of said position.  The adoration of Detroit being an elite NFC team wasn't based off of actual on the field elite play.  It's pretty clear a team can make it to a conference championship game and not be head and shoulders above a multitude of other teams who didn't make it.  

You're simply addicted to jumping into debates and trying to change the argument.   I don't play the change the argument game and I'm just continuing to support my valid position with factual metrics. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Bobby Brown said:

You continue to be wrong about things.  

The point I argued against was Gopher stating that Detroit was unequivocally "top 3 at worst."  My position was that the NFC was parity after 1-2 teams and a substantial amount of factual metrics, that you don't like, support the accuracy of said position.  The adoration of Detroit being an elite NFC team wasn't based off of actual on the field elite play.  It's pretty clear a team can make it to a conference championship game and not be head and shoulders above a multitude of other teams who didn't make it.  

You're simply addicted to jumping into debates and trying to change the argument.   I don't play the change the argument game and I'm just continuing to support my valid position with factual metrics. 

Why do you keep "quoting" things that nobody said? Gopher didn't say "top 3 at worst" and nobody claimed their "dominance" nor claimed they were better than San Francisco.

This was all just in fun at first. But you truly just have this weird issue with giving any concession whatsoever. Below are the two actual, direct quotes from Gopher, copied and pasted from the other thread because it got locked when it strayed too far off topic. I'll just leave the rest of the conversation, if any, with the others.

‐-----------------------

"I'm sure DET will bounce back, and I think they're easily top four in the NFC at worst.  Not top 2 (or even 3), but they're in the conversation."

Then he reiterated in the same thread:

"I still stand by everything I said two months ago.  Detroit is, at worst, the 4th best team in the NFC.  Of course, I think the top three are in a tier by themselves (and SF might be in a tier above the next two).  But, after those three, I think Detroit is next best.  What does that mean?  I don't know... Maybe a playoff win? Maybe not.  I'm not saying that they're going to win the SB, or anything close.  But, they're better than they were last year, which was light years better than they were before that."

• Thanks 1