[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lions Bucs

5 hours ago, stevegrab said:

A couple things.  The Bucs were good before Brady and won a Superbowl, they have the most SB wins in their division. 

I think the Lions have a chance Sunday, it is why we play the games and don't just hands teams trophies based on pre-season predictions. 

As one of the people who claimed many weeks ago that the Lions were top 4 in the NFC, I find it hilarious that somebody still wants to claim otherwise. Or pretend that if they get blown out by the 49ers it means the Lions were not in fact top 4. The Eagles flamed out, so did the Cowboys. I'd say the Packers, Rams and Bucs all showed more in the playoffs than those 2 who were considered among the best in the NFC. 

People are acting like the 49ers are undefeated entering this game, oh right that happened to a team not long ago, they lost to the massive underdog. 

Do I expect the Lions to win, no. But I also don't expect people to think upsets don't happen considering we've all seen it occur in football. A few bad bounces and a game could easily turn. 

Purdy to me is a big question mark too. That Detroit D isn't great, but if Purdy gets shaky and Goff is on that day they could certainly win. 

52 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

Why do you keep "quoting" things that nobody said? Gopher didn't say "top 3 at worst" and nobody claimed their "dominance" nor claimed they were better than San Francisco.

This was all just in fun at first. But you truly just have this weird issue with giving any concession whatsoever. Below are the two actual, direct quotes from Gopher, copied and pasted from the other thread because it got locked when it strayed too far off topic. I'll just leave the rest of the conversation, if any, with the others.

‐-----------------------

"I'm sure DET will bounce back, and I think they're easily top four in the NFC at worst.  Not top 2 (or even 3), but they're in the conversation."

Then he reiterated in the same thread:

"I still stand by everything I said two months ago.  Detroit is, at worst, the 4th best team in the NFC.  Of course, I think the top three are in a tier by themselves (and SF might be in a tier above the next two).  But, after those three, I think Detroit is next best.  What does that mean?  I don't know... Maybe a playoff win? Maybe not.  I'm not saying that they're going to win the SB, or anything close.  But, they're better than they were last year, which was light years better than they were before that."

And they won 2 playoff games, while the #2 and #3 on that list couldn't win a single game, one lost to a team the Lions actually beat in the playoffs. 

I suspect even if they were to beat the 49ers, or win the SB some will claim they are still not even top 4 in the NFC, because 

1 hour ago, Bobby Brown said:

It's pretty clear a team can make it to a conference championship game and not be head and shoulders above a multitude of other teams who didn't make it.

Also nobody claimed that the Lions were head and shoulders above anybody, certainly not the 49ers. But I think based on the playoff results it is preposterous to keep claiming they are not better than DAL and PHI. Otherwise every SB winner just had some good luck and really wasn't that good. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

Why do you keep "quoting" things that nobody said? Gopher didn't say "top 3 at worst"

Mea culpa - I was going by memory. Top 4 at worst instead of top 3. Doesn't change point of the discussion between Gopher and I that you need to insert yourself into.  :lol:

My point about the parity in the NFC, and Detroit being part of that parity,  is still valid and supported by substantial data. If playing this weekend proves they are top 2, then they were also 1 point away from being top 6.   

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, purplemonster said:

Purdy to me is a big question mark too. That Detroit D isn't great, but if Purdy gets shaky and Goff is on that day they could certainly win. 

Statistically speaking, I don't think Purdy should have too much of an issue with Detroit, but that Rams game they played much better than their middle-of-the-pack ranking would suggest.

Probably stating the obvious here, but if they play like last week and the offense is able to move against, IMO a much better defense, I think they have a chance. But if they get behind early it could get ugly quick.

4 hours ago, purplemonster said:

I agree with this. Purdy certainly looked shaky last week, like the moment was too big shaky.  

Sounds like it would be wise to bet on the Lions this weekend.

Lions are 7-2 against the spread in road games this year

49ers are 3-6 against the spread at home this year. 

The 49ers have beat the Lions something like 18 straight times in home games, including the playoffs (last loss was in 1975). 

On 1/22/2024 at 2:09 PM, whomper said:

Is this the thread where Bobby Brown admits I was right about the Lions ? 

Seems so. But he did it with honor and a bent knee.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

No matter how the 2nd half of the Detroit 49ers game plays out...I'm already eating a plate of crow.

@whomper

Knee bent

Eh, you were right. The Lions suck and so does their coach, 🤣

2 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Still a much better team than those cowboys

True, very true.