[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

opening day Cockblock

whomper

Stupid clickbait articles, that isn't THE season opener (of the NFL) it is the Eagles season opener.

Really hate the trend of putting playoff games on these special platforms, don't care how many millions of Americans or fans have them. What's next a game exclusively on Facebook to force millions of NFL fans to use that. Lucked out last year, brother was hear visiting and had Peacock access because of his ISP. Maybe I'll try a free (or short term) trial of Amazon Prime to align with that playoff game. Or maybe I'll be lucky and it will involve the Browns and be picked up on a local station. I heard last night that they have narrowed it down to one of two opponents Packers or Browns.

ETA That last part is about the game opponent was for Eagles game not the playoff game. Of course that could also involve the Browns.

Edited by stevegrab
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The opponent has already officially down to the Packers or the Browns.

Statement from Packers CEO Mark Murphy:

Murphy sounds excited about growing the Cheesehead fan base in São Paulo.

“We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil,” Murphy said, via Rob Demovsky of ESPN.

Murphy said he thinks the NFL will make an official announcement in the next few days.

“Also, this is very important for the league,” Murphy said. “If we’re chosen, we’ll gladly go.”

The NFL has been trying to grow its international fan base for several years, and Brazil is the newest market the league is targeting. Murphy thinks a foothold in Brazil is good for the NFL and good for the Packers.

Cleveland media was reporting yesterday it seems unlikely the Browns get that game, based on the comments by the Packers president. Like he basically leaked that they were already selected. 

Fine with me, I'd rather my Browns not have that extra attention on them. And I won't miss the extra game (which would have been part of regional coverage on Sunday and likely missed anyway). 

• 1 month later...

"As media consumption habits evolve, the NFL continues to work with our partners to put our games on digital platforms where our fans are increasingly spending their time," said Hans Schroeder, NFL executive vice president of media distribution.

"The viewership success of both Thursday Night Football on Prime Video and the historic Wild Card game on Peacock last season are strong indicators our streaming distribution is resonating with our fans."

Hans Schroeder must have a masters degree in bullmanure by trying to spin such a negative to fans. That is ridiculous. And completely deaf to fans.

I heard on SiriusXM that Netflix will likely be a major player in the next few years.  They've slowly - but surely - moved into the "live TV" arena (like the Tom Brady roast) and clearly have the bankroll to throw their hat in.  Eventually the NFL will be on like 8 different platforms and it's going to cost the consumer more to be able to watch these games.  Sucks.  More is not always better.

19 minutes ago, darin3 said:

I heard on SiriusXM that Netflix will likely be a major player in the next few years.  They've slowly - but surely - moved into the "live TV" arena (like the Tom Brady roast) and clearly have the bankroll to throw their hat in.  Eventually the NFL will be on like 8 different platforms and it's going to cost the consumer more to be able to watch these games.  Sucks.  More is not always better.

Many long time fans will quit watching (or have died off) by then. Not sure how many games the NFL can move to other platforms considering these contracts with the broadcast partners are already set for he next decade almost. But I think the games being moved to other platforms are ones outside of that group, or are being moved from the TV channel (e.g. NBC) to the streaming platform of the same parent company. 

Not sure where games shown on Netflix would come from, unless other rights holders are selling them. All these contracts were done recently and run thru 2033 (ABC/ESPN, Fox, CBS/Paramount, NBC/Comcast, Amazon). The NFL does not have a bunch of extra games to sell to Netflix or anybody else. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_on_American_television

Just now, Big John said:

How is those broadcast in Canada now?

There are basically two different Canadian sports networks; TSN (which is owned jointly by Bell and ESPN) and Sportsnet (owned by Rogers).

Sportsnet used to have NFL games but pivoted hard into baseball as they have rights to every BlueJays game. TSN has the Canadian broadcasting rights to all TNF, SNF and MNF games currently. They also usually pick up 1 or 2 games in morning and afternoon block of games. That said, the games that are normally picked up lean towards Green Bay, Seattle, Minnesota and San Francisco.

If you want every game, your only option is American TV or DAZN Canada or, like I said, 🏴‍☠️

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

Many long time fans will quit watching (or have died off) by then. Not sure how many games the NFL can move to other platforms considering these contracts with the broadcast partners are already set for he next decade almost. But I think the games being moved to other platforms are ones outside of that group, or are being moved from the TV channel (e.g. NBC) to the streaming platform of the same parent company. 

Not sure where games shown on Netflix would come from, unless other rights holders are selling them. All these contracts were done recently and run thru 2033 (ABC/ESPN, Fox, CBS/Paramount, NBC/Comcast, Amazon). The NFL does not have a bunch of extra games to sell to Netflix or anybody else. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_on_American_television

Apparently the NFL has a clause that they can terminate the TV contracts in 2029 and it looks like they will do so.

3 minutes ago, Big John said:

Apparently the NFL has a clause that they can terminate the TV contracts in 2029 and it looks like they will do so.

I was not aware of that, and found it covered in the story linked below. The relevant part is "When the NFL finalized its blockbuster deals with CBS, NBC, Fox and ESPN/ABC in March 2021, the league included an opt-out clause that would allow it to walk away from its broadcast TV contracts after the conclusion of the 2029 season. In the case of the Disney networks, the option would kick in after the 2030 campaign" 

https://www.sportico.com/business/media/2024/nfl-brian-rolapp-tv-streaming-super-bowl-1234771936/

So it looks like another 6 seasons (24-29) before there will be any major changes. That's still a long way off, especially as one approaches their golden years. 

5 hours ago, darin3 said:

Speaking of Brady, the 3rd game has been announced for week 1, DAL@CLE at 4:25 ET on Fox for Brady's first announcing gig.

13 hours ago, Big John said:

Speaking of Brady, the 3rd game has been announced for week 1, DAL@CLE at 4:25 ET on Fox for Brady's first announcing gig.

Oh no, I heard we had the game, and knew it was a featured game, probably on Fox, didn't realize that meant Brady. Totally forgot he was moving into broadcasting this year. 

On 5/13/2024 at 9:28 AM, darin3 said:

Well looks like this has happened sooner rather than later.  

Netflix to broadcast Christmas Day games

I just don't understand where all these extra games are going to come from to be siphoned off to every streaming service with a truckload of cash. Last year Christmas was a Monday, and there were 3 games one each for CBS/Fox and the traditional MNF on ESPN. The year before Christmas on Sunday, games on Fox/CBS/NBC (traditional Sunday partners) and year before that Christmas Saturday games on Fox/NFLN.

If I were CBS/Fox who have most of the content (Sunday afternoon games) and showed some of these in the past I wouldn't be happy. But I guess there's a pool of games open for bidding that others have not been told are part of their contract. 

As I have said before, I will NOT be paying for any streaming service just to watch some NFL games. If the majority of their games move to that kind of platform I will just stop watching. 

• Like 1