[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

THE MOST OVERRATED PLAYER

broncosn05

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in the SB this weekend.  I'm starting J. Smith and Rod Smith.  I'm seriously considering benching Moss for McCareins or McCardell.  That son of a beach is worthless.  I will never pick him again.

635017[/snapback]

Ok so he injures his hamstring and you're not going to draft the biggest FF WR next year?

Spoken like a disgruntled "Daunte's kicked my ass so many times I can't remember" Lions fan.

And you Vikes fans are happy with that? You don't mind sitting at home every year during the playoffs, as long as your boys shred the Lions? That's worth $100 million of your money?

You do know that he'll end up 6th on the all time single season passing TD's after this season, right? And you do know that this year so far he has thrown 37 TD's. 11 INT's and 4418 yards with a 69.8% completion record

blah, blah, blah. The crowning achievement of the Vikings under his leadership is getting buttwhooped 42-0 in the NFC championship game by a very mediocre Giants team. You're proving my point exactly: he puts up stats against nobodies, and then with a superior supporting cast CAN'T DO SQUAT when it comes down to crunch time. Over and over, year after year, C-Pep and the Vikes find a way to blow it. Culpepper can throw for 100 TDs, but if they go 7-9, who cares?

Peace

policy

Pick one:

Adams, Charlie

Alexander, P.J.

Alexander, Roc

Bailey, Champ

Baker, Jason

Brandon, Sam

Carlisle, Cooper

Carswell, Dwayne

Chukwurah, Patrick

Clabo, Tyson

Coleman, Marco

Droughns, Reuben

Elam, Jason

Fatafehi, Mario

Ferguson, Nick

Foster, George

Green, Louis

Green, Cornell

Hamilton, Ben

Hape, Patrick

Hayward, Reggie

Herndon, Kelly

Johnson, Kyle

Johnson, Raylee

Johnson, Ellis

Kanell, Danny

Kennedy, Kenoy

Leach, Mike

Lelie, Ashley

Lepsis, Matt

Luke, Triandos

Lynch, John

Nalen, Tom

Neil, Dan

Palepoi, Anton

Pierce, Terry

Plummer, Jake

Pope, Monsanto

Pryce, Trevor

Putzier, Jeb

Reese, Johnathan

Sapp, Cecil

Shoate, Jeff

Smith, Rod

Spragan, Donnie

Stuber, Tim

Sykes, Jashon

Veal, Demetrin

Watts, Dariu

Williams, D.J.

Wilson, Al

Young, Chris

Anderson, Mike

Davis, Dorsett

Elliss, Luthe

Hearst, Garrison

Jackson, Nate

Johnson, B.J.

LeSueur, Jerem

Middlebrooks, Willie

Miree, Brandon

Walls, Lenny

Beard, Santonio

Cox, Curom

Crenshaw, Romar

Mattos, Grant

Mauck, Matt

Renteria, D.J.

Sewell, Josh

Van Pelt, Bradlee

I'll third that.

635659[/snapback]

See, this is why Kevan Barlow is NOT overrated--he's just not very good. Is there anybody even vaguely interested in professional football who honestly thinks this he's a special back?

Peace

policy

See, this is why Kevan Barlow is NOT overrated--he's just not very good.  Is there anybody even vaguely interested in professional football who honestly thinks this he's a special back?

Peace

policy

635664[/snapback]

Define "special". :D

I also think Champ Bailey is waaayyy overrated.

Deion Sanders in his day...shut down Corner.

Darrell Green in his day...shut down Corner.

Rod Woodson in his day...shut down Corner

Champ Bailey now...good Corner no doubt, but by no stretch of the imagination is he a shut down Corner, which is what elite Corners are.

Also think about Washington's D this year.

Have they missed a beat without him?

No! In fact they're actually better.

Edited by Big Score 1

I saw an interesting article about how corners might fall in the draft this year due to the new emphasis on illegal contact.  Bad year to be a rookie CB coming out of college.

635676[/snapback]

That makes sense.

I saw an interesting article about how corners might fall in the draft this year due to the new emphasis on illegal contact.  Bad year to be a rookie CB coming out of college.

635676[/snapback]

Maybe if you aren't a first-round-type. I think there will be a higher premium on cover corners, guys who can run with recievers and position themselves well. Physical corners who come up and hit may not do so well, but having a corner that doesn't need safety help is a big advantage nowadays.

Peace

policy

I think there will be a higher premium on cover corners, guys who can run with recievers and position themselves well.

635688[/snapback]

I think most would agree that is EXACTLY the type of corner that Champ Bailey is, yet we have seen him struggle mightily this year. Cornerback is going to be a de-valued position over the next few years.

I think most would agree that is EXACTLY the type of corner that Champ Bailey is, yet we have seen him struggle mightily this year.  Cornerback is going to be a de-valued position over the next few years.

635694[/snapback]

Last year I might have agreed with you on Champ being the kind of fluid Corner who could match up with a WR and stay with him step for step and move for move. This year I do not see that from Champ. I don't know if it's a lack of concentration, or Champ trying to do too much in order to justify the trade he was involved in, or what, but I just haven't seen it from him this year. In the Donkey games I've watched anyway.

I also have to look at what Washington's D is like this year. They are one of the top run stuffing D's around, so logic dictates that teams go to the air against them. Champ is no longer there, but guess what? Their secondary has not missed a beat. In fact, this years Washington secondary is actually tighter than last years secondary with Champ. And this Skins secondary has gotten better even with the renewed emphasis of the no touch rule for WR's beyond 5 yards.

When it's all said and done, I do think Champ is a good corner, he's just nowhere near the Corner the hype makes him out to be.

He's a lot like the Chicago Cubs. Great fan base, lots of hype....but very beatable.

If he was as good as the media machine has made him out to be, he'd not be getting beat like he has, because teams would respect him and not throw as much to the WR's that he has coverage on.

But teams do frquently throw to the WR Champ has responsibility for....and as often as not, with good results.

Anyway that's why I say:

Champ Bailey = Overrated.

Edited by Big Score 1

But look around the league. All the "shut-down" corners are having bad years. McAllister is getting all kinds of heat in Baltimore. Champ Bailey has been burned repeatedly this year. Charles Woodson has not had a good year. Newman is Dallas is getting killed. Can you name a corner that has game in and game out, shut WR down? I can't. It's because of the emphasis on the new rules. I just don't think GM's are going to be drafting CB's high, no matter how good they are, because they aren't worth the money you would have to pay high in the draft.

Michael Vick - easily, completely and totally

635697[/snapback]

While numbers wise, OK, Vick doesn't got much to go on, but let's be honest here. 2 full seasons in the NFL, he's gotten his team in the playoffs both times. There's a lot of QBs that are supposedly top notch (Jake Plummer, Chad Pennington, Trent Green, et al) that have had problems doing it that often (if that).

Not to mention the fact that you never know when he's going to do something spectacular.

While numbers wise, OK, Vick doesn't got much to go on, but let's be honest here. 2 full seasons in the NFL, he's gotten his team in the playoffs both times. There's a lot of QBs that are supposedly top notch (Jake Plummer, Chad Pennington, Trent Green, et al) that have had problems doing it that often (if that).

Not to mention the fact that you never know when he's going to do something spectacular.

635842[/snapback]

Hear Hear!!!

Talking about some of the comments made; I think that Champ Bailey is a good corner probably one of the best in the game. I just liked to point out how to Swerski that Bailey has looked really bad in games just as Portis has. That trade wasn't lopsided at all. As Big Score pointed out the Redskins D is 5th overall in the NFL in points allowed and 2nd overall in yards allowed. So they improved their offense with the addition of Portis and improved their defense also.

However like C-Hook said there are no more shutdown corners. Deion, Darrell Green, Lester Hayes, Mike Haynes would not be shutdown corners in today's NFL. With the emphasis on no contact after 5 yards there isn't an athlete alive that can hang with a WR that has 4.3 speed and can go anywhere on the field. That's why a lot of cornerbacks are said to be overrated (Charles Woodson and Chris McAllister come to mind)

I also don't understand why everyone is down on the Ravens D. Initially I thought they weren't performing that well at the beginning of the season but if you look at the numbers they 4th in points allowed and 7th in yards allowed. This is with playing some pretty strong offenses this year. They also held Indianapolis to their lowest point total this year and almost shutout Peyton Manning holding him to 1 TD............

If we were to measure the ratio of pounds of hype to ounces of results, I'd have to say Tatum Freaking Bell.

My god, did this guy get talked up this year. And not that it's his fault with Shanahanigans at the helm, but he, in total, has done nothing.