[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Manning and Brady

whomper

If you had to choose one of their careers at this moment whos would you chose? Its not an unfair question because of the rings because if I said choose Manning or Dilfer or Brian Griese the choice would be easy..

As in whose career would I rather have? I think it would be Brady's, as he's already accomplished the ultimate goal of all QBs - twice. For the rest of his career, he won't have that hanging over his head - seems like Peyton's career will be a lot more stressful unless/until he gets that ring. Plus, Peyton looks like Solomon Grundy.

If you had to choose one of their careers at this moment whos would you chose? Its not an unfair question because of the rings because if I said choose Manning or Dilfer or Brian Griese the choice would be easy..

652046[/snapback]

Griese has a ring???

In 1998 when Denver won and Griese was on the squad his total stat line for the year was 3 pass attempts... 1 completion for 2 yards... 1 INT.

I hardly think that counts as being a Superbowl QB...

Peyton Manning - QB  Indianapolis Colts  01/12/05 

For the second year in a row, Manning has been named as the NFL Most Valuable Player by the Associated Press.

How many of these does Brady have?

Manning is the better QB, the better player. It is after all, a TEAM sport.

Tell me honestly the the Pats would not trade Brady for Manning, straight up, tomorrow if that trade was offered!

You say, "No!", and you are either dumb, stupid or too much of a homer to have a rational conversation with!

:D

I agree Manning is a stud and Im playing devils advocate a little bit .Its true football is a team sport but Bledsoe had the same team and they werent firing on all pistons like they did and have been since Brady took over.What that team has done with him at the helm has been phenominal.A regular season MVP is no doubt the biggest honor in football but 2 superbowl MVP isnt too shabby either..The Griese reference was just so people couldnt soley base the answers on the ring..

For the second year in a row, Manning has been named as the NFL Most Valuable Player by the Associated Press.

Tell me honestly the the Pats would not trade Brady for Manning, straight up, tomorrow if that trade was offered!

You say, "No!", and you are either dumb, stupid or too much of a homer to have a rational conversation with!

652120[/snapback]

I think the question was whose career you would rather have - not who you would rather have on your team.

652120[/snapback]

Would the Yankees trade Derrick Jeter for Miguel Tejada? Tejadas stats dwarf Jeters but Jeter is the heart and sole of the Yankees and I think Brady has that same tag..

Homerism aside, I'd have to go with Manning. I figure that he'll win a ring sometime within the next 7-8 years and his career stats will completely blow away Brady's. If both players were to suffer career-ending injuries on Sunday, Manning would have a legitimate shot at the Hall. Brady wouldn't.

And even if he never wins a ring, anyone who knows anything at all about football would tell you that Marino and Tark were MUCH better QBs than guys like Aikman and Bradshaw. If I'm an NFL player, I'd rather be known as "the best QB of my era" than "a really good QB who won a couple championships because he played with great defenses."

If I'm an NFL player, I'd rather be known as "the best QB of my era" than "a really good QB who won a couple championships because he played with great defenses."

652262[/snapback]

I guess this is where people's opinions differ on what it means to be a competitive person. I have had the pleasure of knowing I was the best QB on the field in a championship football game. We lost that game. I have also experienced knowing that I was a good player but clearly not the best player on the court in a championship basketball game. We won that game. Although individual accolades are nice, there's something missing from and unsatisfying about that football season. That basketball season, on the other hand, was complete and extremely satisfying. In retrospect, my role on those teams is of little importance because I contributed to both.

Winning is better.

Edit to add: By the way, in last year's Super Bowl, that great D gave up nearly 30pts and 400yds while that QB who's not as good as Manning threw for 350yds and 3 TDs on his way to a well deserved MVP award.

Edited by BS Miscreant

Homerism aside, I'd have to go with Manning.  I figure that he'll win a ring sometime within the next 7-8 years and his career stats will completely blow away Brady's.  If both players were to suffer career-ending injuries on Sunday, Manning would have a legitimate shot at the Hall.  Brady wouldn't.

And even if he never wins a ring, anyone who knows anything at all about football would tell you that Marino and Tark were MUCH better QBs than guys like Aikman and Bradshaw.  If I'm an NFL player, I'd rather be known as "the best QB of my era" than "a really good QB who won a couple championships because he played with great defenses."

652262[/snapback]

I would rather have Aikmans career than Marinos.Marino is no doubt one of the greatest if not THE greatest to ever play the game but I would rather be a qb that won 3 rings , is respected , known as a great qb in the league and a future Hall of Famer..

I'd take Dan Fouts' career over Dilfer's any day.

652471[/snapback]

I agree with that because of the huge difference in talent but I wouldnt take fouts career over a qb that may not have been a stat machine but was a great qb that has rings like Aikman.

I agree with that because of the huge difference in talent but I wouldnt take fouts career over a qb that may not have been a stat machine but was a great qb that has rings like Aikman.

652756[/snapback]

I'm a Cowboy fan, and I will even admit Aikman is way over rated. Danny White was a much better QB, he just didn't have the same team surrounding him. If I had to choose between Manning and Brady, I'd rather have Manning on my team. If I could actually be one of the two, at this point anyway I'd rather be Brady.

I'd doubt Manning could do anything without all those skilled players.

652474[/snapback]

I love idiots who say these things. Let me tell you a couple things:

Marvin Harrison prior to Peyton Manning:

1996 64 catches 836 yards 8 TD

1997 73 catches 866 yards 6 TD

After Manning was drafted:

1998 59 catches 776 yards 7 TD (missed 5 games with shoulder injury)

1999 115 catches 1663 yards 12 TD

2000 102 catches 1413 yards 14 TD

2001 109 catches 1524 yards 15 TD

2002 143 catches 1722 yards 11 TD

2003 94 catches 1272 yards 10 TD

2004 86 catches 1113 yards 15 TD

Back in 1998 when Marvin got hurt, do you think Manning's numbers got worse? Nope. Somehow, Manning turned a guy named Torrance Small into a star. Small finished the Baltimore game when Marvin got hurt and started the last four games of the year. He had 45 catches for 681 yards and 7 TD's. Philadelphia Eagles fans probably remember him well. He signed a big contract after that season. He never came close to that kind of production again.

Brandon Stokley before Peyton Manning:

2000 11 catches 184 yards 2 TD

2001 24 catches 344 yards 2 TD

2002 24 catches 357 yards 2 TD

After being signed as a FA by Colts:

2003 22 catches 211 yards 3 TD (injured for most of year, played last 3 games)

2004 68 catches 1077 yards 10 TD

I love how everybody acts like Brandon Stokley is a super stud. He was a NOBODY before he hooked up with Peyton Manning.

How about Jerome Pathon? Drafted by the Colts the same year as Manning. His numbers:

1998: 50 catches 511 yards 1 TD

1999: 14 catches 163 yards 0 TD (hurt)

2000: 50 catches 646 yards 3 TD

2001: 24 catches 330 yards 2 TD

Signed with New Orleans the next year:

2002: 43 catches 523 yards 4 TD

2003: 44 catches 578 yards 4 TD

2004: 34 catches 581 yards 1 TD

So in 4 years with Manning, he had his career high in catches TWICE (50) the first time as a ROOKIE, and a career high in yardage (646).

I've seen it many, many times. Manning turns ordinary receivers into above average players. He turns good players into great players.

Edited by CaptainHook

Peyton Manning on any other team = Eli Manning

Brady is a winner and Manning has yet to become one....

Ugly :yay: Tuna

652879[/snapback]

OOOOPs! Forgot to include the :yay: "dipwad" :yay: category!

At this point in time, if you are looking at who's career will be remembered... Manning!

The career that you can point at and say you accomplished what others in YOUR position in a TEAM sport have not. Manning!

The respect of everyone of import in the game for preparation, team leadership, knowledge of the game and his opponents? Manning!

Carrying a fagbag and calling yourself a metrosexual :yay: whatever? Brady!

QUICK! Name some WINNING Super Bowl QBs that are NOT in the NFL Hall of Fame!

Ummmmmmmmm...

B)

B)

:yay:

:moon:

Doug Williams, Earl Morrel (QB for the majority of the Dolphins undefeated season and replaced an injured Unitas in Baltimore Colts SB V win over Dallas ), Jim McMahon, Ken Stabler, Jim Plunkett- 2 rings, Joe Theismann. These are all guys who QBed in and won Super Bowl Games. None are in the NFL Hall of Fame.

Now, you tell me. If you want to leave a legacy of CAREER accomplishment, would you rather be these guys, or Dan Fouts who IS in the HOF and was recently named as one of the two all 80's QBs? I would argue, that as a QB, Fouts had a better carrer than any of these guys, as indicated by all the experts, but was never able to reach that ultimate TEAM accomplishment, the ring. You can only play with the guys that are on your team, and as a player, that is not your fault. They all talk about "the ring", but 10 to 15 years after you hang up the cleats, you want to be Fouts, or one of those "other guys" that "know" one (no one) remembers? (Well, people will remember Theisman for "SNAP" before anyone will associate his name with a Super Bowl, but I would believe that is a BAD thing! :yay: )

The question posed in this thread is premature, their carrers are not done. However, I would argue that if both were never able to play again as of today, Brady will be remembered about as much as Plunkett, and Manning will be remembered with the likes of Fouts. I also think when it is all said and done, Brady dissolves into the pool of players on great Super Bowl teams that nobody remembers, and Manning will wear the jacket his father never achieved!

:slammicrophoneonthegroundgreamlin:

McB :yay::yay: g

Edited by McBoog

If I owned an NFL team, I would rather have Peyton at QB than Brady. When all is said and done, Brady will probably fit into the same category as Troy Aikman or Terry Bradshaw...very good QBs who won multiple Superbowls and will end up in the Hall of Fame (Bradshaw already is in, Aikman will be eventually).

Peyton Manning on the other hand will be mentioned as one of the top 5 QBs of all-time, whether he eventually wins a ring or not (I think he will, maybe even this year). After all, Marino is in that conversation, is he not?

I'm a Cowboy fan, and I will even admit Aikman is way over rated. 

652795[/snapback]

Aikman was one of the most accurate QBs I've ever seen. He never put up huge stats because Dallas had an outstanding defense and a tremendous running game...he reminds me of Phil Simms in that way.

If I had to choose between Manning and Brady, I'd rather have Manning on my team.  If I could actually be one of the two, at this point anyway I'd rather be Brady.

I hear you there, Brady is almost like the Derek Jeter of football...being him probably doesn't suck.

Edited by Skrappy1

OOOOPs!  Forgot to include the  :yay:  "dipwad"  :yay:  category!

At this point in time, if you are looking at who's career will be remembered... Manning!

The career that you can point at and say you accomplished what others in YOUR position in a TEAM sport have not.  Manning!

The respect of everyone of import in the game for preparation, team leadership, knowledge of the game and his opponents?  Manning!

Carrying a fagbag and calling yourself a metrosexual  :yay: whatever?  Brady!

QUICK!  Name some WINNING Super Bowl QBs that are NOT in the NFL Hall of Fame!

Ummmmmmmmm...

B) 

B) 

Doug Williams, Earl Morrel (QB for the majority of the Dolphins undefeated season and replaced an injured Unitas in Baltimore Colts SB V win over Dallas ), Jim McMahon, Ken Stabler, Jim Plunkett- 2 rings, Joe Theismann.  These are all guys who QBed in and won Super Bowl Games.  None are in the NFL Hall of Fame.

Now, you tell me.  If you want to leave a legacy of CAREER accomplishment, would you rather be these guys, or Dan Fouts who IS in the HOF and was recently named as one of the two all 80's QBs?  I would argue, that as a QB, Fouts had a better carrer than any of these guys, as indicated by all the experts, but was never able to reach that ultimate TEAM accomplishment, the ring.  You can only play with the guys that are on your team, and as a player, that is not your fault.  They all talk about "the ring", but 10 to 15 years after you hang up the cleats, you want to be Fouts, or one of those "other guys" that "know" one (no one) remembers?  (Well, people will remember Theisman for "SNAP" before anyone will associate his name with a Super Bowl, but I would believe that is a BAD thing!  :yay: )

The question posed in this thread is premature, their carrers are not done.  However, I would argue that if both were never able to play again as of today,  Brady will be remembered about as much as Plunkett, and Manning will be remembered with the likes of Fouts.  I also think when it is all said and done, Brady dissolves into the pool of players on great Super Bowl teams that nobody remembers, and Manning will wear the jacket his father never achieved!

:slammicrophoneonthegroundgreamlin:

McB :yay:  :yay: g

653112[/snapback]

There are certain qbs with rings like the ones you mentioned that if I had to chose I wouldnt pick over a Fouts or Marino then there are certain qbs that dont have Fouts or Marino like stats but id rather have their career.The one that keeps coming to mind is Aikman. I think Brady may end up in that type of company one day.He is a big difference maker as evident in the team accomplishing twice what they couldnt accomplish with Bledsoe.No doubt about the team sport theory being true but if certain players go down the teams go with them.The one year Emmitt Smith held out they lost the first 2 games he wasnt in there.As soon as he came back they went on a streak and won the superbowl.The whole team around him was the same yet with him out they dropped the first 2 so there is a lot of truth to the team concept yet certain players hold it together.Brady wont fall into obscurity like the guys you accurately mentioned..