[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How Do You Choke?

spain

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No one is saying that Peyton did his job and no one else did and that's why the Colts lost.

The Pats D shut them all down - and that is why the Colts lost.

It's not that the D was giving Manning opportunities and he pissed them away by throwing INTs or something. That is what a choke does.

No one is saying that Peyton did his job and no one else did and that's why the Colts lost.

The Pats D shut them all down - and that is why the Colts lost.

It's not that the D was giving Manning opportunities and he pissed them away by throwing INTs or something.  That is what a choke does.

657933[/snapback]

Note that I haven't used the C word in direct reference to Manning.

EDIT: Choking is what the J-E-T-S, JETS, JETS, JETS, JETS did. The Colts just got outplayed all day.

Edited by Caveman_Nick

I will say that Manning did throw up a 69.3 (?) passer rating for the day.  Not completely his fault, but he has to take some of the blame.  That's liek 50 pts lower than his season average.

I mean, I am of the school that it is a team game, so all the talk of this QB or that QB winning a game is something I find laughable.  But, Manning is supposed to make those around him better.  That's what everyone says he does.  He has to own some portion of the blame.  A decent size portion.  In that respect he didn't get it done.

657923[/snapback]

I agree that Manning didn't have a great game, although I'd argue that he at least played "decently." I can't say the same for his supporting cast, who dropped 6 or 7 passes and turned the ball over twice on fumbles. And, of course, the running game was completely ineffective.

On the flip side, Brady put up a measley 144 passing yds against Indy's porous defense and basically rode Dillon and Faulk (200 combined rushing yds) the entire game. Yet, Brady's portrayed, on an individual basis, as the "winner," while Manning is the "loser." :D

I agree that Manning didn't have a great game, although I'd argue that he at least played "decently."  I can't say the same for his supporting cast, who dropped 6 or 7 passes and turned the ball over twice on fumbles.  And, of course, the running game was completely ineffective.

On the flip side, Brady put up a measley 144 passing yds against Indy's porous defense and basically rode Dillon and Faulk (200 combined rushing yds) the entire game.  Yet, Brady's portrayed, on an individual basis, as the "winner," while Manning is the "loser."  :D

657943[/snapback]

Sometimes it's not about numbers, its about wins.

After all Manning did throw 49 td's this season and 0 td's yesterday.

Brady wins the tough ones.

Well, like Belichick said, and I paraphrase, "we wanted to shut the Colts team down, not just Manning." . That they certainly did with the wideouts, TEs and the running game.

I agree with Squeegie that the NE D deserves some recognition for Manning's lack of a good game, not that he "choked."

I agree that Manning didn't have a great game, although I'd argue that he at least played "decently."  I can't say the same for his supporting cast, who dropped 6 or 7 passes and turned the ball over twice on fumbles.  And, of course, the running game was completely ineffective.

On the flip side, Brady put up a measley 144 passing yds against Indy's porous defense and basically rode Dillon and Faulk (200 combined rushing yds) the entire game.  Yet, Brady's portrayed, on an individual basis, as the "winner," while Manning is the "loser."  :D

657943[/snapback]

Not by me. I mean, Brady made the throws necessary to win. He did not turn the ball over. He QB'd 2 scoring drives. He threw 1 TD and rushed for another. But he was not spectacular.

Manning's receivers drop a few less balls and it's a different game. The Pats still probably win, but his QB rating is better. It still wouldn't be his season average of 120 though.

As for the Colts run game being ineffective, I think that was a matter of useage, not execution. James was very effective catching the ball, and wasn't fed the ball enough times to have a truely good game. 14 for 39 is nothing to write home about, but 21 touches for 108 yds is not crap for production. The play action was effective, and James job is to make it so.

I give more credit than most to the Colts D. I think they are an improving group and don't doubt that they will be a top 15 unit next season.

Aside from all that, some people look at the game differently than others, and generally speaking the QB's rep goes with the team's rep.

I really don't think that you can say that Manning choked. He did what he does every game, and takes what the D offers him, which yesterday wasn't much. He could have forced the deep ball a little more, and probably would have gotten picked, and they you could have said he choked. The only thing that I thought was disappointing was he didn't seem to use his audibles nearly as much as he normally does. I don't know how much of that was due to crowd noise, and how much was due to the way the defense presented its self. I also saw a lot of dropped balls early in the game, I can remember one to Stokely and one to Clark that would have kept drives alive. The fact is the Colts just got beat.

Not by me.  I mean, Brady made the throws necessary to win.  He did not turn the ball over.  He QB'd 2 scoring drives.  He threw 1 TD and rushed for another.  But he was not spectacular.

657967[/snapback]

Yeah, I was talking about people in the media. Like that idiot Michael Smith who writes for ESPN. Check out this line of garbage...

There should be no further debate: Tom Brady is a better quarterback than Manning, no qualifiers necessary. If they were to go mano a mano in the Quarterback Challenge, my money would be on Manning, the prototypical passer. But in a competition that matters, Brady's the guy. He's 6-0 against Manning, 7-0 as a starter in the playoffs (including two wins against the Colts), and has two Super Bowl MVPs. Manning hasn't been to a Super Bowl yet. Regardless of which quarterback has the better defense and the better coach and yada yada yada, you are what your record says you are, and Brady's record versus Manning says Brady's the better quarterback.

Of course, Mr. Smith probably never considered that Brady has been playing relatively poor Colts defenses during this time, while Manning has been playing the Pats defenses that haven't lost in the playoffs in four years. But, hey, why let the facts get in the way? :D

"Gee, Mr. Smith, how do you suppose Tom Brady would do against his own dominant defense in a snowstorm?"

"Um, well, Tom Brady's W-L record clearly shows that he is the best QB in the NFL." :D

Edited by Bill Swerski

N.E just suffocated the Colts today..Those long drives were the dagger.They just have the colts #.Its as simple as that.The Pats are a very complete and well coached team.The Colts inability to stop the run kept their offense off the field.Great gameplan that was perfectly executed.

You forgot to add the colts are soft.

Isn't Manning the MVP of the league? Isn't he the most valuable QB to his team? The QB touches the ball every play. Manning supposedly has "total control" over the Colts offense. He can pinpoint a defense's weakness and make a play.

Or can he?............

"Brady wins the tough ones"

You mean like against Miami earlier in the year ...

657957[/snapback]

Hey, you never had an "off" day? Nobody said he was superhuman. They'd have won that game if not for Brady's last minute brain fart. :D

Has any team ever beat Belichick and Brady in the playoffs?

662554[/snapback]

Well the Raiders came a lot closer than the Colts ever did and Gannon looked a lot better than Manning ever has. It also took an obscure rule for the Pats to pull it out...........