[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Manning Simply Doesn't Get It Done

giantsfan

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember having a brief conversation with this guy at old Foxboro Stadium a few years back, and although I had read his stuff and knew who he was, after that I became a big fan and make a point to read his stuff on cnnsi and check him out on Inside The NFL...Peter King

from yesterday

"4) The Patriots are the premier team in football. Again. With three minutes left in the game, the Colts had 206 yards. The greatest offensive team of this day had 10 possessions. Indy ended punt, punt, punt, punt, fumble, field goal, punt, punt, fumble, interception. New England's defense was magnificent. Did you see the look in Tedy Bruschi's eyes, and how he flat stole the ball from Dominic Rhodes. And how Rodney Harrison played like every down was his last? No team crushes the opposition with a patchwork team like this, and there is only one conclusion to draw: These players have more pride and hunger than any group of players in all of sports."

"5) The Colts had better find some Bruschis. We've seen Indy's greatness all year. But when it mattered, where was its heart, drive, determination? Where was someone grabbing his teammates on the sidelines and screaming: "We're not going down this way!'' And while we're at it, where was Manning throwing downfield? How can the Colts look at that game tape and not be sick? It is simply incomprehensible that on every series the Colts didn't challenge the Patriots' beleaguered secondary deep, lousy field conditions or not. Indianapolis allowed the meteorologist to play in this game. Throw it deep, for crying out loud, and get the illegal contacts and pass-interference calls that Bill Carollo's crew was looking for so closely. If I'm Bill Polian, I'm putting two characteristics into my offseason list of requirements for new Colts. They must have excelled at playing outside, preferably in northern climes. And they must have a nasty, prideful streak."

his monday morning qb articles are must reads

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writ...onal/index.html

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writ...b.te/index.html

Im just sick of hearing how bad the Colts d played. TWENTY points folks.

659762[/snapback]

I didn't realize the Pats were trying to score as fast as possible to give Peyton every chance/all the time he wanted to score. :D

It must have been that great Colts D keeping the Pats ON the field! :D

I love how on one hand (Jrick) has no problem adding the yardage from the last, meaningless drive (about 50 yds).  And, had the Colts scored a garbage touchdown, it would have made his point above for passer rating, and he would have no problem saying "see, it wasn't Peyton's fault".

However, "the one turnover he WAS responsible for was an INT on a desparation pass", so Bill says discard that, but you would be the first to use that pass in any pro-Peyton arguement if it ended up being a TD.

And by the way, the Patriots 40 yard line does not constitute being "well in Patriots territory".

I think Manning had 2 passes into the endzone, the first should have been picked off before the Colts settled for the field goal, the second was picked off on the desparation play.

And to take a line from Bruschi, the Colts didn't turn it over, the Patriots took it away.

659587[/snapback]

I completely agree with Bruschi. I pretty much said so in the post I made earlier. This is what I said.

The Patriots executed their gameplan flawlessly, ball control and no turnovers and that's what won the game, the great play of the Patriots not the poor play of the Colts...

...So I say "hats off" to Belichick and the Patriots for designing and executing a great game plan and for being able to make the turnovers needed to stymie the Colts offense.

I gave complete credit to NE's defense for causing the turnovers.

As to the passer rating thing, I didn't need him to throw a TD for me to think that he played pretty well, I have already said I don't blame Manning for the loss. I do think he played pretty well.

I was simply pointing out that even just 1 TD would have raised his Passer Rating significantly so pointing to it as a sole indicator of how he performed is an incomplete assessment of Manning's game.

Let's look at the game a little closer. In the game:

Edge averaged only about 2.8 yds per carry.

Several receivers dropped passes (I know of at least 4, some are saying more)

Rhodes lost a fumble.

Wayne lost a fumble.

Manning threw an INT.

The defense gave up 210 yds rushing allowing NE to hold the ball for nearly 38 minutes of the game.

How does all of that add up to being only Manning's fault? How can that not be the entire teams fault?

The best offensive stat of the game for Indy was Manning's completion percentage and it was 65% even with the drops.

This loss does not belong solely to Peyton Manning. This loss goes on the Colts as a team for being less prepared to play than NE.

You think Manning should give up some of that 98 million so they can sign some defensive help? Or maybe they should sign better WR's so he can top 50 TD's next year? I wonder if maybe they could have focused on being able to run the ball better like the Patriots. Maybe then all those receivers wouldn't have fumbled all those times. I mean what do you think the Colts can do to get over the hump? No huddle all the time? Homefield advantage? Maybe but didn't the Patriots beat the Rams in a dome also? Maybe a heart transfusion............

Regardless of who you blame, I'm sure Jim Irsay didn't shell out that big contract to Manning last year for an other loss in Indy. Eventually the Colts (and Chiefs, Ravens and others) will realize you can't win in this league without a good O and D. Gimme a mediocre Trent Dilfer/Brad Johnson and a top D over a top QB and crappy D any day. The Colts can't get it done with all O just like my Ravens won't get it done with all D.

Defense wins championships. It didn't kill the Colts until last weekend. All teams remaining have above average Ds.

Edited by Big Red

I have to say that I am coming around the the "Manning can't win the big one" camp. He didn't have a horrible game against the Pats, but he didn't do anything to help his team win either.

Prior to this year, I would have said that people were being a little unfair to Peyton. But this year, the Colts offense was obviously clicking in a major way (It was running so well that people were constantly here bitching about Edge's production in the offense, when I think Edge finished the season as the 4th/5th rated fantasy back! THIS is a lack of production?!!)

I am not saying that the Colts should have won their game in New England. The Pats have proven that they are a great team over the last 3 years, and it was a road game. But the game shouldn't have been as lopsided as it was.

Also, regarding the Colts defense, they held the Pats to 20 points, which is not a lot. I think if you went to Peyton Manning and Tony Dungy, and told them that their D would hold the Pats to 20 in last Sunday's game, they would have been fairly confident that they could beat that.

Also, regarding the Colts defense, they held the Pats to 20 points, which is not a lot.  I think if you went to Peyton Manning and Tony Dungy, and told them that their D would hold the Pats to 20 in last Sunday's game, they would have been fairly confident that they could beat that.

663406[/snapback]

But what if you told Dungy that the Patriots would have drives of something like: 14, 15, and 16 plays?