[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Aaron Brooks

Coltsbus1

Why is Aaron Brooks ranked so low in alot of cheat sheets??? I know they are getting a new offensive coordinator, but with their wide receivers you know they will be throwing the ball... He has had 3 very consistant years of 20 touchdowns or more... Any insight would be much appreciated....

I've had Aaron as my QB and he was in a word - frustrating.

Over a season, his numbers are there, but he's one of the most inconsistent "top FF QB's" out there. Lights it up one week, goes into the tank the next. Maybe his TD's, yards and points are on par as a top 10 guy, but when those numbers are accumulated via hit and miss weekends, FF owners suffer.

I agree with cheatsheet creators on this one.

I find this question intriguing myself. What makes this question even more interesting is that the Huddle projections have him producing as the #6 QB but the performance cheatsheet has him at #11. :D

Agree with Fenokee. Brooks is the master of inconsistency. Reminds me of a guy named Plummer with his stupid mistakes, but with a better arm. Every year you get mediocre production from him despite a solid surrounding cast. That may be OK in New Orleans, or as a #2 QB if you get him on his good week, but not on my team as the every week starter.

based on 2004 stats.

1st- Keeps small company with Vick,Delhomme, & Plummer as QB w/o 60% passing. ( In 5 years he hasn't hit the 60% benchmark) 59.1% best

2nd- 4 games < 200 yds. passing, 2 games >300 yds. passing other 10 gm. avg. 248 pass. yds

3rd- week 11-16 threw 11 ints. 16 total for the year

Best game stat - 25/34,279,3TD, 0 ints (wk.2)

Worst game(s) stat- 34/60, 377, 1 TD, 3 INTs(wk.11) or 11/23, 106, 2 TD, 1 int.(wk.5)

Like this comment one writer says about Brooks.

Brooks has the decision-making skills of a D student on shrooms. You don't want him in your line-up against good defenses- they face the league's toughest defensive schedule this year.
for 2005

I agree that the undervalue comes from Brooks' inconsistency, game to game ! :D

878431[/snapback]

Absolutely...I've ended up with him as my QB in one league for like 3 or 4 years running (some people never learn I guess). After last year, I won't be repeating that same mistake, except for maybe as a late round backup QB. Let's not forget, he was so bad in the real world last year that he was perilously close to getting benched for the likes of Todd Bouman several times. He has the talent, but he's not worth the headache in my opinion.

Edited by Skrappy1

Well... they have a fairly tough schedule... heck, the move to the NFC South alone puts them up against Atlanta, Carolina and Tampa 2 times each.

878167[/snapback]

:D Maybe I'm missing your meaning, but the move to the NFC South happening 3 seasons ago :D

Let's not forget, he was so bad in the real world last year that he was perilously close to getting benched for the likes of Todd Bouman several times.  He has the talent, but he's not worth the headache in my opinion.

878589[/snapback]

Totally fabricated rumor, that was never close to happening.

I guess I'm confused as to where Brooks is any more or any less inconsistent than other comparable QBs. For sake of discussion, let's throw out P Manning, Culpepper, and Favre, as most would agree these guys are a tier or 2 higher. Here is a 2004 comparison with Brady, Brees, Delhomme, T Green, Hasselbeck, McNabb, and Plummer, 6 QBs that are fairly closely tiered with Brooks.

(Note 1: didn't use Bulger because he missed 3 games due to injury)

(Note 2: Brees, Hasselbeck and McNabb missed 2 games each - Brees sat out game 16 and I threw out the blizzard game at Clev; Hasselbeck both due to injury, and McNabb essentially didn't play Philly's last 2 games). Apologies for the crappy formatting.

TDs - 3+ / 2 / 1 / 0 (run and pass combined)

Brooks - 2 / 6 / 7 / 1

Brady - 2 / 9 / 5 / 0

Brees - 5 / 4 / 3 / 2

Delhomme - 4 / 7 / 3 / 2

T Green - 6 / 3 / 3 / 4

Plummer - 4 / 5 / 4 / 3

McNabb - 7 / 1 / 4 / 2

Hasselbeck - 4 / 3 / 5 / 2

Passing yds - 300+ / 200-299 / 199 or less

Brooks - 2 / 10 /4

Brady - 2 / 9 / 5

Brees - 1 / 9 / 4

Delhomme - 4 / 8 /4

T Green - 8 / 6 / 2

Plummer - 2 /12 / 2

McNabb- 5 / 8 / 2

Hasselbeck - 3 / 6 / 5

Guess I just don't see the inconsistency argument, unless one says that, in essence, all non-tier 1 QBs are inconsistent.

Totally fabricated rumor, that was never close to happening.

878697[/snapback]

I disagree.

'Is Brooks On The Hot Seat?','In a column published Friday, ESPN.com insider Len Pasquarelli noted that for a second consecutive season, there is a small group of Saints veterans who feel it is getting near the time for the coaches to pull the plug on Aaron Brooks, and to give backup Todd Bouman a start.

Not surprisingly, some of the players are among the group that suggested Brooks be benched late last year, when a playoff spot was slipping from the team''s grasp.

You might recall that, last year, there were rumors that Brooks was playing with a damaged right shoulder. Brooks denied those whispers and then, notably, underwent shoulder surgery right after the season. This time around, there are no physical ailments with Brooks, but possibly some issues that go beyond the field.

Pasquarelli went on to suggest that Brooks has posted adequate numbers to date, "but there just seems to be something missing at times in the guy, and teammates suggest he typically avoids accountability for his mistakes."

Given the fat new contract awarded Brooks last year, it would be difficult for management to sit him for a while, to perhaps allow him a chance to regain perspective.

Plus, with the club now in dire straits, as further evidenced by a players-only meeting earlier this week, the Saints need to have their best players on the field. A few guys in the locker room, though, were reminding friends this week that the 2002 season might have been salvaged had backup Jake Delhomme been allowed off the bench.

Yes.

That would be the same Jake Delhomme the desperate Saints will face on Sunday afternoon when they take on the Carolina Panthers.

The last thing the Saints need, most of all frustrated head coach Jim Haslett, is for Delhomme to play well. That might not only escalate the pressure on Brooks, but also on Haslett, who would be reminded by the vocal fans that perhaps he should have played Delhomme some in 2002 and not allowed him to get away in free agency this spring.

Saints officials contend they loved Delhomme and wanted to keep him around. But no one can blame Delhomme for bolting, not after last year, when players and fans lobbied for the Lafayette, La., native, but to no avail.

It never happened, but there was plenty of talk and several of his own teammates who wanted it to...that makes in not a "totally fabricated rumor" in my opinion.

http://www.fantasyfootballchallenge.com/ar...er-2003-25.html

Edited by Skrappy1

I think what it comes down to is Brooks has been a disappointment. In both the Huddle Perfect scoring(#6,#8,#6) and the scoring in my main redraft(#4,#7,#8) he hasn't been out of the top 8 for the last three years. Problem is, going back a couple years, people thought he was going to be elite(Top 3-4) so obviously they've been disappointed. When people count on you and you disappoint them they tend to go overboard when devaluing you. There are other considerations this year with regard to the changing of the offense, though I don't think it will hurt him, but I believe the main reason is his failure to live up to expectations. Because of the team's overall underachievement many will drop both Brooks and Deuce in their rankings.

I'd be surprised if he's not top 10 and would tend to lean more towards him putting up similar numbers to previous years(somewhere between 5-7).

I've had Aaron as my QB and he was in a word - frustrating.

Over a season, his numbers are there, but he's one of the most inconsistent "top FF QB's" out there. Lights it up one week, goes into the tank the next. Maybe his TD's, yards and points are on par as a top 10 guy, but when those numbers are accumulated via hit and miss weekends, FF owners suffer.

I agree with cheatsheet creators on this one.

878158[/snapback]

Much like some of the big score WR's last year like D. Bennett and B. Stokley ... if you had them in the lineup the right week (happened more for Stokley than Bennett) you hit it big. Their numbers at year end were skewed because they had a couple really big weeks. Depends on whether you like consistent better than average scoring out of your players ... or ... whether you like big week opportunities but having to guess the right weeks and knowing you will have some near goose-eggs.

I disagree. 

It never happened, but there was plenty of talk and several of his own teammates who wanted it to...that makes in not a "totally fabricated rumor" in my opinion.

http://www.fantasyfootballchallenge.com/ar...er-2003-25.html

878848[/snapback]

Ok, saying totally fabricated rumor may be overboard, but a few players grumbling that the starting QB should be benched is a LONG way from your contention that "he was perilously close to getting benched for the likes of Todd Bouman several times." My sources (you can believe me or not I don't really care, but I've got several friends very close to the team, they are at practices every day, and several other contacts attached to the Saints in one way or another, I'll leave it at that) all through last season said Bouman never got close to starting. And nearly every Tuesday night from week 5 on last year, Haslett was asked on his radio show if Brooks was going to get benched, and he has been adamant that the only way Brooks would sit was due to injury.

I guess I'm confused as to where Brooks is any more or any less inconsistent than other comparable QBs.  For sake of discussion, let's throw out P Manning, Culpepper, and Favre, as most would agree these guys are a tier or 2 higher.  Here is a 2004 comparison with Brady, Brees, Delhomme, T Green, Hasselbeck, McNabb, and Plummer, 6 QBs that are fairly closely tiered with Brooks.

(Note 1:  didn't use Bulger because he missed 3 games due to injury)

(Note 2: Brees, Hasselbeck and McNabb missed 2 games each - Brees sat out game 16 and I threw out the blizzard game at Clev; Hasselbeck both due to injury, and McNabb essentially didn't play Philly's last 2 games).  Apologies for the crappy formatting.

TDs - 3+ / 2 / 1 / 0  (run and pass combined)

Brooks - 2 / 6 / 7 / 1

Brady - 2 / 9 / 5 / 0

Brees - 5 / 4 / 3 / 2

Delhomme - 4 / 7 / 3 / 2

T Green - 6 / 3 / 3 / 4

Plummer - 4 / 5 / 4 / 3

McNabb - 7 / 1 / 4 / 2

Brooks - 2 / 10 /4

Brady - 2 / 9 / 5

Brees - 1 / 9 / 4

Delhomme - 4 / 8 /4

T Green - 8 / 6 / 2

Plummer - 2 /12 / 2

McNabb- 5 / 8 / 2

Hasselbeck - 3 / 6 / 5

Guess I just don't see the inconsistency argument, unless one says that, in essence, all non-tier 1 QBs are inconsistent.

878776[/snapback]

That is soo true.... All quarterbacks other than number 1 tier are inconsistant

Guest THEbigred

Yeah.....he is kind of inconsistent, but not horrifically so, at least not in our (fairly normal) scoring system. The thing is he almost never puts up a big game either. Basically good backup material but not much more....

Yeah.....he is kind of inconsistent, but not horrifically so, at least not in our (fairly normal) scoring system.  The thing is he almost never puts up a big game either.  Basically good backup material but not much more....

886108[/snapback]

He has victimized himself in the past with bad on-field decisions which have killed his production in alot of games. Hopefully the shift in offensive scheme that Haslett is promising will take some pressure off him and allow him to achieve that top-ten QB status we've all been waiting for!

... Hopefully the shift in offensive scheme that Haslett is promising will take some pressure off him and allow him to achieve that top-ten QB status we've all been waiting for!

886353[/snapback]

Brooks has been a top 10 QB in every league I've played in the past 4 years. :D

Nice stats Cordo. I'd say he could be one of those guys that was overhyped, then underwhelmed, so he is somewhat forgotten and ignored.

He might still be climbing to his full potential. Good thread - I had never put too much thought in to Brooks, but he might be a nice mid round surprise this year.

I am in a 2QB league - might have to go after him.

I guess I'm confused as to where Brooks is any more or any less inconsistent than other comparable QBs.  For sake of discussion, let's throw out P Manning, Culpepper, and Favre, as most would agree these guys are a tier or 2 higher.  Here is a 2004 comparison with Brady, Brees, Delhomme, T Green, Hasselbeck, McNabb, and Plummer, 6 QBs that are fairly closely tiered with Brooks.

(Note 1:  didn't use Bulger because he missed 3 games due to injury)

(Note 2: Brees, Hasselbeck and McNabb missed 2 games each - Brees sat out game 16 and I threw out the blizzard game at Clev; Hasselbeck both due to injury, and McNabb essentially didn't play Philly's last 2 games).  Apologies for the crappy formatting.

TDs - 3+ / 2 / 1 / 0  (run and pass combined)

Brooks - 2 / 6 / 7 / 1

Brady - 2 / 9 / 5 / 0

Brees - 5 / 4 / 3 / 2

Delhomme - 4 / 7 / 3 / 2

T Green - 6 / 3 / 3 / 4

Plummer - 4 / 5 / 4 / 3

McNabb - 7 / 1 / 4 / 2

Brooks - 2 / 10 /4

Brady - 2 / 9 / 5

Brees - 1 / 9 / 4

Delhomme - 4 / 8 /4

T Green - 8 / 6 / 2

Plummer - 2 /12 / 2

McNabb- 5 / 8 / 2

Hasselbeck - 3 / 6 / 5

878776[/snapback]

Good research. :D However, I think you may have supported both sides of the argument with these numbers. Of the QB's you listed, Brooks had the highest number of games with only 1 TD pass. Having had Brooks on multiple teams over the past few years, I can honestly say that, although I haven't been horribly disappointed with him, I definitely haven't been pleasantly surprised at all other. It's frustrating when a guy with the receivers he has throws one TD pass or less 50% of the time (worse than every other QB you listed, with the exception of Hasselbeck, who WAS a disappointment, in my opinion), and only has two 300-yard passing games (compared to Delhomme with four and Green with eight).

Good research. :D However, I think you may have supported both sides of the argument with these numbers.  Of the QB's you listed, Brooks had the highest number of games with only 1 TD pass.  Having had Brooks on multiple teams over the past few years, I can honestly say that, although I haven't been horribly disappointed with him, I definitely haven't been pleasantly surprised at all other.  It's frustrating when a guy with the receivers he has throws one TD pass or less 50% of the time (worse than every other QB you listed, with the exception of Hasselbeck, who WAS a disappointment, in my opinion), and only has two 300-yard passing games (compared to Delhomme with four and Green with eight).

887549[/snapback]

Good points Gopher. Guess my thinking was that inconsistency is demonstrated by the guy who throws 3 TDs one week, then hangs a goose-egg the next. In that respect, Brady (no games with zero TDs) and Brooks (1 game with zero TDs) outperformed everyone else who had at least 2 zero TD games. Trent Green had 6 games with 3+ TDs, but also had four games with zero TDs. To me, that defines inconsistency.

After I had made my original post, I got to thinking about this some more. IMHO, the best way to look at this would be to see what each of these QBs averaged per week in fantasy points scored (pick any FF scoring system, doesn't really matter unless your league penalizes significantly for throwing INTs), then see what their deviations were from the norm. For instance, maybe Green threw for 300+ yds in most of his non-TD games, which would help mitigate the goose-eggs. Or perhaps it's just the opposite, his non-TD games were also low yardage games. I think most of us would agree that we'd rather have the guy who scored 12, 16, 18, 16, and 15 (total of 77 pts) instead of the guy who put up 24, 7, 11, 22, and 13 (also 77 pts). I'll try to do some kind of analysis within the next few days and add it here.