[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tim Brown's Retirement -ESPN Article

soloArtist

I just read this article on ESPN about Tim Brown's retirement and whether he should be a hall of famer. Regradless of whether he should be a hall of famer or not, I feel like the guy deserves some respect. In this article, I see it as Ratto dissing Brown hard. From calling his retirement from the Raiders a "sham" to saying Brown's career was nothing but numbers and that without the bucs Brown wouldn't have gotten his 100 catches and therefore wouldn't even be considered for HoF.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor..._ray&id=2110582

The writer, Ray Ratto, is a long time SF Bay Area sports writer. This is a clear reflection of his historical style to take the unpopular angle. I'm not surprised.

Edited by Pancake

The writer, Ray Ratto, is a long time SF Bay Area sports writer.  This is a clear relfection of his historical style to take the unpopular angle.  I'm not surprised.

885470[/snapback]

Yep, I like to call it the "Crossfire" brand of journalism. These writers, talk show hosts etc...like to be outrageous, loud, controversial, just trying to get attention so someone will read/hear their lame take on the subject at hand.

It's all about ratings no matter what the cost and on shows like Crossfire or Meet the Press you can often tell these jerks don't even believe the crap their saying. Sports has plenty of their own like this and of course ESPN leads the way.

Brown may have stayed a year or two too long, but who is this guy to call him out for it. Go find something substantial to write about or find another career. He's just another in a long line of hacks that must have known someone to land his job.

:D

Yep, I like to call it the "Crossfire" brand of journalism.  These writers, talk show hosts etc...like to be outrageous, loud, controversial, just trying to get attention so someone will read/hear their lame take on the subject at hand.

It's all about ratings no matter what the cost and on shows like Crossfire or Meet the Press you can often tell these jerks don't even believe the crap their saying.  Sports has plenty of their own like this and of course ESPN leads the way.

Brown may have stayed a year or two too long, but who is this guy to call him out for it.  Go find something substantial to write about or find another career.  He's just another in a long line of hacks that must have known someone to land his job.

885492[/snapback]

Excellent post. It typically isn't the sports reporters that are at fault, but the sports columnists. Here in Minneapolis we have a fat fool called Reusse that bloviates on everything and anything and it's all just shock value. He's a know-nothing buffoon, like this Ratto jerk.

Yep, I like to call it the "Crossfire" brand of journalism.  These writers, talk show hosts etc...like to be outrageous, loud, controversial, just trying to get attention so someone will read/hear their lame take on the subject at hand.

It's all about ratings no matter what the cost and on shows like Crossfire or Meet the Press you can often tell these jerks don't even believe the crap their saying.  Sports has plenty of their own like this and of course ESPN leads the way.

885492[/snapback]

Sounds like the West Coast Jay Mariotti. :D

If Brown isn't a HOFer, Canton should be shut down. It's that simple.

I was going to post something similar to this yesterday when I saw that ESPN had a poll asking whether or not Tim Brown was a HOFer. Something like 83% said "yes", and I have to agree. The guy's been a consummate professional, and while that doesn't equate to HOF, his numbers certainly do. I think ESPN did him an injustice by even putting that poll up, not to mention the always-biased Ray RATto being his usual slanted self.

Tim Brown had a weekly radio show here in the bay area for many years where the radio personaltity would fire questions off at him...He was all about hard work and respect for the game. Even during the dismall years you could tell that Tim just loved to play the game and put alot of hard work into keeping his body in perfect condition. IMHO, he is a lock for the HOF. Another "Old School" player hanging up the cleats.....I dont like the new school attitude.

Edited by Pancake

During Brown's career, was he ever a top 5-10 talent compared to the other WRs in the league? Not fishing, just not too familiar with Brown. I can see the argument against Palmeiro not going to the Hall but don't want to go off this guy's word.

Here you go http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1267

....over 1300 yards 4 years, 1400 once

....6 years at least 9 TDs

....and how is this for consistancy, 10 years in a row at least 76 catches and all but one of those atleast 80. If your fantasy league counted for receptions he was almost automatic. I have to think his consistancy for making the tough catches for 10 years in a row has to count for something for the HOF.

Edit to add: also 9 time Pro Bowler (man I love google)

Edited by major-tom

During Brown's career, was he ever a top 5-10 talent compared to the other WRs in the league?  Not fishing, just not too familiar with Brown.  I can see the argument against Palmeiro not going to the Hall but don't want to go off this guy's word.

887586[/snapback]

Top 10 in my league starts at 1,200 yds and 7 Tds plus consistent bonus milestones in most of the games (i.e. > 6 catches in a game, > 100 yds in a game) That would have put Downtown Tim Brown as top 10 in at least 8 of his 17 years. He had 9 straight 1,000 yd years. Thats HUGH! :D

1994 L.A. Raiders 1309 yds 9 tds

1995 Oakland Raiders 1342 yds 10 tds

1996 Oakland Raiders 1104 yds 9 tds

1997 Oakland Raiders 1408 yds 5 tds

1998 Oakland Raiders 1012 yds 9 tds

1999 Oakland Raiders 1344 yds 6 tds

2000 Oakland Raiders 1128 yds 11 tds

2001 Oakland Raiders 1165 yds 9 tds

Edited by Pancake

Top 10 in my league starts at 1,200 yds and 7 Tds plus consistent bonus milestones in most of the games (i.e. > 6 catches in a game, > 100 yds in a game)  That would have put Downtown Tim Brown as top 10 in at least 8 of his 17 years.  He had 9 straight 1,000 yd years.  Thats HUGH! :D

1994 L.A. Raiders  1309 yds 9 tds

1995 Oakland Raiders  1342 yds 10 tds

1996 Oakland Raiders 1104 yds 9 tds

1997 Oakland Raiders  1408 yds 5 tds

1998 Oakland Raiders  1012 yds 9 tds

1999 Oakland Raiders 1344 yds 6 tds

2000 Oakland Raiders  1128 yds 11 tds

2001 Oakland Raiders 1165 yds 9 tds

887662[/snapback]

Nice info... was looking for that myself.

HoF, no question.

Although, I think it's funny that Tim Brown came into the league as a track star with iffy hands, and ended up as the consummate possesion receiver, and there wasn't much middle ground.

Peace

policy

HoF, no question.

Although, I think it's funny that Tim Brown came into the league as a track star with iffy hands, and ended up as the consummate possesion receiver, and there wasn't much middle ground.

Peace

policy

888233[/snapback]

Um, he WAS the 1987 Heisman Trophy winner. I'm thinking probably most scouts didn't think he had "iffy" hands. Anyway, if one were to look at the numbers (which I am too lazy to do but heard this on the radio so trust me) , one would realize that Tim Brown's statistics are better than ANY OTHER RECEIVER IN THE HALL OF FAME.

He is a lock for Canton, BUT, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get in on the first ballot. There are a lot of other deserving players that should get in, and Brown may have to wait his turn.

Um, he WAS the 1987 Heisman Trophy winner.  I'm thinking probably most scouts didn't think he had "iffy" hands.  Anyway, if one were to look at the numbers  (which I am too lazy to do but heard this on the radio so trust me) , one would realize that Tim Brown's statistics are better than ANY OTHER RECEIVER IN THE HALL OF FAME.

He is a lock for Canton, BUT, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get in on the first ballot.  There are a lot of other deserving players that should get in, and Brown may have to wait his turn.

891778[/snapback]

Yes, he won the Heisman, but his claim to fame was his speed and playmaking ability, his hands were pedestrian at best. I remember the pairing of him and John Jett was supposed to be the ultimate "speed" duo. Obviously his hands were not terrible, but he wasn't the polished, soft-handed route runner he became known as.

Peace

policy

Um, he WAS the 1987 Heisman Trophy winner. 

891778[/snapback]

....and everyone here, I'm sure, knows that the Heisman makes a player a lock for NFL success..... :D

By no means am I a Raider fan, but for crying out loud.....The major question applying to players and their HOF qualifications is simply: Were they considered among the best at their position while they played?

Brown certainly fit that bill.