[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Brian Griese

Wally

I know that Simms has shown some potential, but I thought that Griese did pretty well while he was in there. Given Gruden's track record with QB's, I think that Griese could prove to ba a serviceable starter and a great backup on any fantasy roster.

Does anybody have any insider info on who will be the man in TB this year?

Gruden is very high on Griese. He thinks he's a great fit for his offense. He picked him up with every intention of having him replace Johnson and that's what happened. I don't think anymore needs to be said.

Gruden is very high on Griese.  He thinks he's a great fit for his offense.  He picked him up with every intention of having him replace Johnson and that's what happened.  I don't think anymore needs to be said.

888999[/snapback]

What the hell ever happened to Brad Johnson? The guy won a Super Bowl then dropped off the planet. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Jul 31 Roy Cummings, of the Tampa Tribune, reports Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Jon Gruden said Sunday, July 31, he is giving QB Chris Simms a chance to compete for the starting quarterback job. "Chris is competing with Brian Griese to be the starter," Gruden said. "He's in his third season with us now, so that's just the way it has to be with him. He's got to compete with Griese." Many, including Simms himself, were under the impression Simms would spend the preseason competing with newcomer Luke McCown for the backup job. Gruden's claim indicates otherwise, and as he said, maybe that's how it needs to be. Simms is seeing a heavy snap count in practice. "He's taken more reps here in five practices than he took in the first 10 or 12 last year," Gruden said. "And we're going to try to get him more work in the specific areas where we think he needs it."

scare tactic or something to more closely monitor?

He's just trying a last ditch effort to see if Simms has anything.  Greise has the job.

904248[/snapback]

Greise was signed to an extension but it bascially is several one year contracts. If he does not do well the Bucs can simply drop him with a minimal cap hit. All word leading up to training camp was that Greise will start and Simms will be the backup. However, word out of camp is that Simms is once again lighting it up and Gruden has been quoted as saying that Simms is competing for the starting job. Personally I think Greise will start the season as the starter.

Edited by Jolly Rodgers

"Chris is competing with Brian Griese to be the starter," said the head coach. "He's in his third season with us now, so that's just the way it has to be with him. He's got to compete with Griese."

Simms has been a pet project of Gruden for the past few years. It's unlikely that Gruden is sincere when he says Simms has a legitimate chance to start. After all, Griese just signed a five-year, $30 million contract during the offseason.

Chances are that Gruden is merely trying to motivate Simms in hopes that he can get him to step up and beat out QB Luke McCown for the backup job.

I gotta agree with Caplan here...Griese proved himself last year to be a starter

Is there a reason Griese doesn't last more than a few seasons before there are rumblings? :D I know the guy "tripped on his dog" while in Denver... are there locker room issues with this guy? He'll start until somebody else is better.

Is there  a reason Griese doesn't last more than a few seasons before there are rumblings?  :D I know the guy "tripped on his dog" while in Denver... are there locker room issues with this guy?  He'll start until somebody else is better.

904758[/snapback]

Yep. I think Griese will have to fail before Simms gets his shot. There's no way Gruden will "fix" what ain't "broken" at the QB position. He's obsessive about his QBs. If he threw Simms into the fire right now, he'd have a heart attack every time he threw the ball.

By the way, I looked at D.B. Sweeney's "film"ography...how does anybody know who this guy is??

Guest THEbigred
I know that Simms has shown some potential, but I thought that Griese did pretty well while he was in there. 

888923[/snapback]

Yeah a near-70% completion ratio and 97.5 QB rating isn't too terrible. :doah:

No freakin way Griese is not the starter. Gruden is not stupid.