[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

T.O. says he will be there

THE SIX KINGS

Posted on Fri, Jul. 22, 2005

Owens: 'I'll be there'

By Stephen A. Smith

INQUIRER SPORTS COLUMNIST

Eagles receiver Terrell Owens said today he’s still unhappy with his 7-year, $49 million contract and that he still wouldn’t mind being traded, but that he will be in training camp on Aug. 1.

“I’ll be there,” Owens said this afternoon by telephone. “I mean, the bottom line is that I still believe I deserve a new contract. I still believe I deserve more than what they’ve given me. But I’m not stupid. I’m not about to miss training camp, get fined every day and give them even more reasons to keep from paying me.

“I’ll be there. But I won’t be happy, I can tell you that much. Take from that whatever you want.”

Under the NFL rules, the Eagles can fine Owens $6,000 for everyday he is not in camp.

Calls to Owens’ agent Drew Rosenhaus and Eagles president Joe Banner were unanswered.

All of this comes the day after Owens appeared on a Comcast sports network saying, “it’s not going to be a good situation” if he has to go to training camp under the conditions of his current contract.

“I want something to be rectified and we can just move on,” Owens said today.

TO has brought Jesus up, when describing his situation.

TO has said he will not play for the Eagles unless he gets his contract renegoitiated.

TO has mentioned Falcons as a Team he'd like to play for.

TO has said he'll report to the Eagles.

Does TO know what TO is saying? :D

“I’ll be there. But I won’t be happy, I can tell you that much. Take from that whatever you want.”

891219[/snapback]

What the heck does that mean?? I wouldn't want him in camp now!

Is he going to half-ass it in games? Is he going to disrupt practices? Is he going to try to injure his backups?

He's playing with the practice squad now.

What a cancer. Seriously.

What the heck does that mean??  I wouldn't want him in camp now!

Is he going to half-ass it in games?  Is he going to disrupt practices?  Is he going to try to injure his backups?

What a cancer.  Seriously.

891269[/snapback]

I understand what you're saying but, if TO reports and you have to pay the fool, how do you sit him with that salary? Obviously Rosenburgler told TO to make sure he reports. It puts the organization in a complete state of defense. He's got all the bargaining chips he needs if Philly has to pay him. They'll have to cave or trade him if he half-asses it because he's not a happy camper. :D The only way TO loses is if the owners come together collectively. Have Philly release him and nobody pick his ass up but, that won't happen.

What the heck does that mean??  I wouldn't want him in camp now!

Is he going to half-ass it in games?  Is he going to disrupt practices?  Is he going to try to injure his backups?

What a cancer.  Seriously.

891269[/snapback]

What that is is a worst-case-scenario for the Eagles. TO is a cancer, no doubt.

It's unbelievable how easily he has taken a good thing from last year and run it into the ground. The city hates him, his teammates can't be happy with him...this season could be very interesting to say the least.

I understand what you're saying but, if TO reports and you have to pay the fool, how do you sit him with that salary? Obviously Rosenburgler told TO to make sure he reports. It puts the organization in a complete state of defense. He's got all the bargaining chips he needs if Philly has to pay him. They'll have to cave or trade him if he half-asses it because he's not a happy camper. :D The only way TO loses is if the owners come together collectively. Have Philly release him and nobody pick his ass up but, that won't happen.

891296[/snapback]

I disagree. I think that if they play a few games, and Philly thinks T.O. is half-assing it... they could just make public statements to that effect.

Nobody would EVER give TO a big contract again unless it was Ricky Williams style "all performace based".

Would you sign TO knowing that he'll hold out on a one year old contract and willfully play badly to spite you? Would anyone?

It sure sounds like he's implying he won't work hard in camp. It's hard for me to believe T.O. could force himself to tank it in a game, but if starts acting like a slug in uniform -- practice or game -- I have a serious problem with that.

891391[/snapback]

Actually, while TO may be a little crazy, he has an impecible worth ethic. With the Niners, he was famous for routinely being the last player to leave the workout facilities because he'd hit the weights after practice was over. And I just can't see him doing anything that would jeapordize his ability to show off his latest celebration dances. He may act like a baby most of the time. But in between the time the ball is snapped and the whistle is blown, he's all business.

Edited by yo mama

Interesting....

Where is he going to end up in the fantasy rankings with this attitude?

891404[/snapback]

Lower than he should, if we're lucky. In standard scoring formats he's exceeded 200 fantasy points in 4 of his last 5 seasons. Over those last 5 seasons he's averaged about 1293 yards and 13 TDs per year, despite his infantile attitude. And in those last 5 years he's never posted fewer than 1100 yards or 9 TDs

He's going to do the same thing he did in SF. He'll still produce the numbers but he will alienate the Players, Coaches, Management, and Fans to the point that no matter how good he is he'll be traded.

We can only hope that eventually, the NFL will get tired of him and he'll go away...

I disagree.  I think that if they play a few games, and Philly thinks T.O. is half-assing it... they could just make public statements to that effect. 

Nobody would EVER give TO a big contract again unless it was Ricky Williams style "all performace based".

Would you sign TO knowing that he'll hold out on a one year old contract and willfully play badly to spite you?  Would anyone?

891308[/snapback]

You're right, and that's what I meant about the owners coming together. Blackball I think is another word for it. But IMO they just won't. Someone will give him what he wants.

Actually, while TO may be a little crazy, he has an impecible worth ethic.  With the Niners, he was famous for routinely being the last player to leave the workout facilities because he'd hit the weights after practice was over.  And I just can't see him doing anything that would jeapordize his ability to show off his latest celebration dances.  He may act like a baby most of the time.  But in between the time the ball is snapped and the whistle is blown, he's all business.

891401[/snapback]

I agree -- that's why I said "I would be surprised..."

Sorry Iggles fans, having lived in the Bay Area, I have seen the TO act for years now, but I thought that he would at least wait a couple years before becoming a locker-room question mark. I think, that as T.O. starts past the midpoint of his career, he is thinking "Hey! I only have 5-7 productive years left, I had better start making a donkey of myself right now!"

How disappointing. T.O. had a chance to go to Philly and prove all the critics wrong. He came to play last season, and against all odds in the Superbowl. If only he had taken a somewhat more responsible public persona, he could have written his own ticket for endorsements and other contracts, made twice as much $$ as he could have made from any contract he would ever have seen, and been fairly well beloved in Philly, which does not have the kindest hometown fans in the league.

Instead, he has to behave like an infant and get people wondering why they traded for this jerk in the first place. Once he's on the field, he will usually make people remember why they did, but the moment he steps off, look out! Eventually everyone will get tired of his BS and he will move on. When he retires, he will probably end up in Canton, but don't look for much public regret that he is no longer in the game or the kind of post-retirement respect that guys like Tim Brown and Jerry Rice are going to get.

More honestly:

1. I think he will still put up pretty good members. Even with his B.S. onfield antics, he offield mouthing off, and his locker room divisiveness, TO has never had a really bad season. So expect 1200 yards and 10 TDS, maybe more.

2. Expect that eventually Donovan McNabb will get tired of his BS (Steve Young and Jeff Garcia did) and that will be the last season in Philly.

3. Expect that Donovan will start trying to cultivate some more chemistry with other, more stable