[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gates over Gonzo

Jules_Winfield

It seems to me that Gates is likely to score 4-6 more td's this year, which would more than compensate for Gonzo averaging 30-40 more yards a game. (no points for receptions in my league.) But in most mocks I have seen Gonzo is going have a round earlier.

Thoughts?

898608[/snapback]

Gates has had one good season, Gonzo has had a ton. Gonzo always catches lots of passes for yardage, while Gates last year relied on TD totals. TDs can fluctuate from year to year much more than catches or yardage.

Gonzo is easily the top TE this yr.

Gates has had one good season, Gonzo has had a ton.  Gonzo always catches lots of passes for yardage, while Gates last year relied on TD totals.  TDs can fluctuate from year to year much more than catches or yardage.

Gonzo is easily the top TE this yr.

898612[/snapback]

Ding, ding, ding! You are correct sir!

Gates will be good again this year, but come on...Gonzo has been doing it the best for a while. Until he slips, he's the man.

898693[/snapback]

Dead on.

I have had him in my dynasty for 5 years now I believe. He constantly outscores everyone at the position and even alot of guys at other positions. I'm impressed with Gates but one season does not make a trend.

Gates almost saved the season for me last year in a league with weird TE scoring. There have been plenty of players to have one great year and then come back to reality. Gates will need Brees to have another great year to come close to last year's stats. I don't know if Mole Man can do it again.

Gates will be good again this year, but come on...Gonzo has been doing it the best for a while. Until he slips, he's the man.

898693[/snapback]

Agreed to that also. Plus, SD hasn't gotten any better in the WR department. Gates will def see new coverages. Until Gonzo falters, he's stud 1.

The repeatability article says it all.

For the last five years, Gonzo has always been #1 or #2. That is the most consistent domination of any player in any position in the entire NFL for the last five years.

899102[/snapback]

he has been "the man" for the last half decade. how much longer does it continue??? when is his proverbial slip coming? i'm not going to speculate, but i do think (tom hanks yelling at volleyball) WILSON cuts into his numbers this yr. how much, remains to be seen. gonzo is coming off an injury too. could this be the yr of the slip for gonzo? just trying to stir the pot a bit here and give a differing opinionated view.

i'm going to have to be the contrarian here and put Gates ahead of Gonzo.

while I admire the consistancy of Gonzo's career , i think his age will become a factor and his production will start to decline.

He had the foot thing last year, the wear and tear might be catching up

the skill players for the Chiefs are the oldest in the league

Gates and the Chargers are more of an unknown. Was '04 a fluke? They probably won't win as many games, but with a healthy LT and WR corp, opponents DEF can not solely focus on Gates. Granted, I wish they had a better WR1, but I think it is likely that Gates will have a better year

But i'd love to have either on my team, because a TE that scores is a difference maker week in and out.

I had Gates last year (best 14th rounder I ever drafted). But I keep having a nagging feeling that he will have the dreaded 2nd year slump this year.

Don't know why, just a feeling. That still won't stop me from gambling on him if he's around this year when I start looking for him. But if Gonzo is there also, then Gonzo will be the pick.

In fact, I may even be tempted to grab Witten before Gates this year

Edited by JoJoTheWebToedBoy

Gonzalez = Consistency.

One more factor: the Chiefs defense will be better this year. I also see them creating more turnovers, which will creat more opportunities for the offense. Also, the Chiefs drafted a punter in the 3rd round this year. If you have followed the Chiefs at all, you know their punting game has been abysmal. This has contributed to poor field position for the defense, and IMO, really contributed to the Chiefs demise last year. Word out of KC is that the punter is good, which should creat better field position for the Chiefs. Meaning, better defense, more turnovers, more offensive opportunities.

And Gates has to prove it for more than one year to unseat Gonzo.