[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pro Bowl

Bonehand

Do you enjoy the NFL Pro Bowl?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Do you enjoy the NFL Pro Bowl?

• Yes
    • No
    • I could take it or leave it

I know I'm in the minority here, but I've always enjoyed watching my favorite players enjoying themselves in a casual game after a long tough season. I know it's never much of a game, but I like the vibe of it.

However, from sports radio to the Huddle, a lot of folks seem to truly hate it. Is it because it's just an exhibition, & not a real game?

I voted take it or leave it. I love having an extra week of football, but, it is clear that teams don't really care too much who is going to win, and it just becomes an offensive showcase. I would love to see some pride in these games, where the conferences really want to show they are better and play a "regular" hard-played game, but that isn't going to happen anytime soon I'm afraid.

I think this whole pro-bowl voting system needs to change. They need to get rid of the popularity competition, and have the best players based on real statistics playing in that game. That's not to say a guy like Joey Porter shouldn't be there, because he is a REAL leader of that Steelers defense. But what is Shawne Merriman doing playing in the pro-bowl? Does Donnie Edwards not deserve to play more than Merriman?!?

And that's just one example. There's many more. This to me is what ruins a good chance to showcase the NFL's true talents. Rather than a guy like Merriman, who got some national media attention because he's a rookie, making an impact. The guy lined up beside him, out-tackled him by close to 100!

Just MHO. Sorry if I offend any Chargers/Merriman fans out there. I hate them all anyways... :D

But what is Shawne Merriman doing playing in the pro-bowl? Does Donnie Edwards not deserve to play more than Merriman?!?

1320980[/snapback]

Merriman made a ton of huge plays though. Yes, he dosn't have the tackles Edwards does, but the plays he made against the Colts, and the time and effort he puts into things, IMO have earned him a spot.

I voted take it or leave it.  I love having an extra week of football, but, it is clear that teams don't really care too much who is going to win, and it just becomes an offensive showcase.  I would love to see some pride in these games, where the conferences really want to show they are better and play a "regular" hard-played game, but that isn't going to happen anytime soon I'm afraid.

1320959[/snapback]

pretty much

Merriman made a ton of huge plays though. Yes, he dosn't have the tackles Edwards does, but the plays he made against the Colts, and the time and effort he puts into things, IMO have earned him a spot.

1321050[/snapback]

I understand that he contributed in some big spots. I definitely agree. But how can it be argued that Donnie Edwards didn't contribute MORE to his team, but tackling 100 more players than Merriman? And by the way, I'm just using these 2 as an example. I'm not some Donnie Edwards fan or something. Just for the record.

I understand that he contributed in some big spots. I definitely agree. But how can it be argued that Donnie Edwards didn't contribute MORE to his team, but tackling 100 more players than Merriman? And by the way, I'm just using these 2 as an example. I'm not some Donnie Edwards fan or something. Just for the record.

1321055[/snapback]

I understand what you're saying, but the point it the Pro Bowl is decided by the people. And the world saw that it was Merriman who ended the Colts' perfect season. Not Donnie Edwards. And thats why hes there.

How did Vick go?? Matt Schaub played better than Vick this season. Vick went because the people like watching him, and they want a good show. Which goes for Merriman.

How did Vick go?? Matt Schaub played better than Vick this season.

1321064[/snapback]

Don't cloud the matter with facts!!

Look at it this way -- the crime rate on the mainland goes down when the Vick brothers are in Hawaii ... :D

I understand what you're saying, but the point it the Pro Bowl is decided by the people. And the world saw that it was Merriman who ended the Colts' perfect season. Not Donnie Edwards. And thats why hes there. Vick went because the people like watching him, and they want a good show. Which goes for Merriman.

1321064[/snapback]

Good info here.

As for the Pro Bowl------> Meh.

I went to a couple of Pro Bowls (in '97 and '98), and I enjoyed them immensely. Pre-game tailgating was fun, and it was great seeing all the top players out there, including two of my all time favorites, Barry Sanders and Cris Carter. But...I can't really watch on TV either. The seasons over, the players aren't playing any defense to speak of, and really, what's the point?

I enjoy watching the Pro Bowl in the same way that an alcoholic enjoys sucking spilled beer out of the carpet.

This will be a long off-season. :D

1321191[/snapback]

Hilarious! :D

I went to a couple of Pro Bowls (in '97 and '98), and I enjoyed them immensely. Pre-game tailgating was fun, and it was great seeing all the top players out there, including two of my all time favorites, Barry Sanders and Cris Carter. But...I can't really watch on TV either. The seasons over, the players aren't playing any defense to speak of, and really, what's the point?

1321239[/snapback]

I just think most folks seem to hate the Pro Bowl for what it isn't, rather than enjoying it for what it is, a light-hearted exhibition game, and a fun reward for players after a tough season.

To me, it's preposterous that MLB tries to make the All star game mean something with the home field advantage in the World series riding on it, when again, it's a freakin' exhibition game.