[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vikings Receivers

Not that these guys will be highly sought after, but so far in the Vikings mini-camps and OTAs the guys getting the most work with the first team are Troy Williamson, Bobby Wade, and Sidney Rice. The last couple of weeks it has been unanimous that Bobby Wade has looked the best out of the group of 13 Receivers looking for a spot on the roster.

The track star project, Todd Lowber (who has never played organized football) is looking like he will not make it. He is dropping a lot of passes and is still trying just to learn the nuances of the game. Everyone so far seems to have had good days and bad days though.

Here's what it looks like in a nutshell:

Troy Williamson (despite his "vision" problems he'll probably end up the #1 WR by default),

Bobby Wade (definite starter - solid #2 WR - could push for the #1 spot but doesn't really have the speed),

Sidney Rice (young talented high draft pick - will almost certainly be the starting #3),

Billy McMullin (meh - he's familiar with the system and is fairly consistent),

Cortez Hankton (darkhorse - right on the cusp of being a starter),

Aundrae Allison (talented rookie, but has looked pretty green so far),

Chandler Williams (same as Allison, but has looked more polished than all of the other rookies),

Todd Lowber (fastest guy on the field by far and it shows often, but he drops a lot of balls),

Jason Carter (makes amazing catches and always impresses, but probably still won't make it),

Martin Nance (a lot like Jason Carter, makes great catches, but will still probably just miss the cut),

Randy Hymes (never heard of him - no chance he makes the team),

Maurice Mann (never heard of him - no chance he makes the team),

Justin Surrency (never heard of him - no chance he makes the team),

That's my take anyway... as summarized from reading a bunch of local coverage so far.

Wow - what a load of crapola.

The cumulative NFL career totals of this bunch are 288 catches for 3548 yds and 13 TDs over 20 years - for all 13 WRs listed combined.

Just for some perspective, T.O. led NFL WRs last season with 13 TD catches.

And this is the WR support for a 2nd year QB who was way behind on the learning curve when he started his career by all accounts.

Look for the MIN O to be awful, and bump AD down your cheat sheets with the lack of a passing game putting possibly 9 in the box at times.

Edited by Bronco Billy

I think Martin Nance might make it. Williamson has caught 15,000 balls this spring. I hope is over the dropsies...

-One offensive player who is not struggling is wide receiver Martin Nance who continued his strong play. His routes have been crisp and he looks smoother than most in his transitions, not to mention the fact that he's rarely letting the ball hit the ground. Outside of Bobby Wade I'd say Nance has been the most impressive WR out there. Link

Edited by Outshined

I thought I had read Lowber was doing well ...

:D

I think relative to people who have never played the game you could say he is doing well. And his speed might be enough to keep him around longer than some of the other guys, but he has to become A LOT more consistent in catching the ball if he wants to make the team. The Vikings went through a painful season of dropped balls last year and they already have one professional dropper to work with in Williamson.

Lowber could still surprise everyone, but his window of opportunity is going to close pretty fast if he doesn't make some significant improvements. Apparently he runs the routes, ok, but not great... he needs to become more precise, and he needs to learn how to release (which some receivers never end up doing very well).

I think Martin Nance might make it. Williamson has caught 15,000 balls this spring. I hope is over the dropsies...

I think it really depends upon what the Vikes want to end up doing with Aundrae Allison and Chandler Williams. If those two rookies improve during Training Camp, then that could take away a potential spot for Nance. Even though they both do really well, Nance and Carter seem to be destined for the practice squad once again IMHO.

how are the vikings going to score any points?

They aren't. They plan to run, run, run ... but you have to pass to keep them honest and Jackson is going to throw some turnovers. And when they get behind they are toast ...

They will win a few close ones, lose a lot of close ones, and get blown out a lot ...

Bobby Wade is one of those players that shines in camp and then disappears when the season starts...

they should line CTaylor up at WR in the slot with Williamson, Wade and Wiggins....

Wiggins plays for the Jags now.

They aren't. They plan to run, run, run ... but you have to pass to keep them honest and Jackson is going to throw some turnovers. And when they get behind they are toast ...

They will win a few close ones, lose a lot of close ones, and get blown out a lot ...

If I am a Vikings fan...I would almost hope this year is a wash so you can get one more decent draft slot and then start building for your playoff run instead of maturing too fast...

if they can add a playmaker early and another WR in next years draft, they will be on the right track as I like how the defense is shaping up and the OL is strong..IMO at least..

If I am a Vikings fan...I would almost hope this year is a wash so you can get one more decent draft slot and then start building for your playoff run instead of maturing too fast...

if they can add a playmaker early and another WR in next years draft, they will be on the right track as I like how the defense is shaping up and the OL is strong..IMO at least..

I never want to have that thought process...

In this day in the NFL you can turn a team around in a season.

Who thought Saints would win there division last year?

I never want to have that thought process...

In this day in the NFL you can turn a team around in a season.

Who thought Saints would win there division last year?

exactly...but I only say this because I hate having a team that is mediocre because the passing game stinks...

the Vikes need help at QB and WR.....

well, maybe they don't need help at QB...but they need him to not be a bum...

and I don't see him doing too well this season...but it can be a learning process...

the current state that the offense is in will make things awfully tough to watch and if the Vikings manage to be mediocre and draft around the 17th spot...ten it just makes it even more tough...

I figure...if my team is going to miss the playoffs, they might as well be chum scrubbers and then make a serious run the next season....

strong teams nowadays are not built overnight unless you acquire a QB who can handle the load....and while you CAN compare the Vikings to the Saints...I just don't see Jackson being anywhere near Brees and so on....but maybe Peterson can do some damage in the 2-headed monster offense..

I was waiting for that one....

I swore he went elsewhere but was too lazy to do my homework...

I'm still on vacation from football right now :D

At first, I was surprised the Vikes cut ties with Wiggins. He's been good for them. But they just haven't been using the TE much in the passing game since Tice left. I suppose they wanted a blocking TE more, and that's fine. I just figured a different team would have scooped Wiggins up, like the Seahawks, Jets, or Raiders.

In fact, I'm not sure what the Raiders were thinking. Wiggins signed on with the Jags for less than $1 million. The Raiders could have afforded that, and spent their 2007 2.6 draft pick on something other than TE Zach Miller. Lord knows they've got other areas they could have used that pick to address.

Edited by yo mama

From KFAN 6/8

-While it is only June and there was certainly some mixing and matching of the units, the most interesting development came today at wide receiver.

During all the sections of practice which included group install, 7-on-7 and full team work the first team receivers were Bobby Wade, Troy Williamson and rookie Sidney Rice. The second team meanwhile consisted of Billy McMullen, Martin Nance and Jason Carter.

Obviously it's far too early to draw any solid conclusions, but it is worth noting that the trio of receivers stayed fairly constant on both the first and second teams to begin each segment of practice.

Another solid day for Troy Williamson who is catching just about everything he has a legit shot at. He nearly had a touchdown during full team work on the two minute drill, but a great recovery by Dwight Smith caused the pass to be broken up.

Could the offseason workout plan by crappy shoes from spammers coupled with year 3 in the NFL make a decent year for Williamson? He has caught over 15,000 balls this spring with the jugs machine.