[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Will Harrington ever make it to the playoffs with the Falcons?

WaterMan

Will Harrington ever make it to the playoffs with the Falcons?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. hmm

• yes
    • no
    • it's Vick's fault the WRs suck under Harrington

No. I wonder if the people that do believe he can, can say such with a straight face.

Will this team be better than the Saints or Panthers? No. It's a toss up between them and TB for the league basement.

I'd be shocked if the Falcons aren't one of the 5 worst teams in football and Petrino drafts his Louisville QB Brian Brohm in the 2008 draft.

Edited by cory_n_az

No. I wonder if the people that do believe he can, can say such with a straight face.

Will this team be better than the Saints or Panthers? No. It's a toss up between them and TB for the league basement.

I'd be shocked if the Falcons aren't one of the 5 worst teams in football and Petrino drafts his Louisville QB Brian Brohm in the 2008 draft.

The question was ever. Sure if they build a great team around him and he doesn't have to carry them on his back it's possible to make the playoffs.

That means a wild card team or above. Worse QB's have done that.

Trent Dilfer :D

Everyone is expecting the Falcons to have a horrible year because of Vick's problems. I don't think they are great by any means, but I bet they will be good enough (even with Harrington) to compete for a playoff spot. I'll tell you this much, I am very nervous for my Vikings to have to face them in week 1. They are going to come into town and try to prove to the nation that they can win in spite of the Vick distractions. Vick's absence might actually bring that team together in a way that his presence on the field never could.

Because he was a game away a few years back?

:D

Even if you hate Vick, the passer... Harrington hasn't been much better.

Career team records as a starter:

Harrington 23-42

Vick 40-31-1

Career passer rating:

Harrington 68.1

Vick 75.7

Career completion %:

Harrington 55.2

Vick 53.8

Unlike BB, I don't think 1 quarter of the preseason is enough to judge the Falcons WRs or Harrington. They acquired 35yr old Horn who hasn't caught more than 49 passes in 3 years and he immediately became the WR1 if that says anything about the Falcons' state of affairs at WR. There's still plenty of time for White and, to a lesser extent, Jenkins to show their inconsistency.

Keep in mind it's a completely different offense... maybe it will hurt everyone but maybe it will help EVERYONE. If they improve, it's a bit disingenuous to proclaim... "See, Vick sucked as a passer! Just look at what Harrington can do!" All this means is... we'll probably never see if Vick could've improved but we'll see if Harrington can improve.

People scoffed at Petrino when he said he wanted to make Vick a 65% passer. Judging from Harrington's career in the NFL that goal should be just as difficult. That said, I think this is the best overall team and organization that Harrington has been on in his entire career. I doubt Harrington will be leading this team to the playoffs. I think he'll be serviceable until Petrino is able to acquire a QB of his choosing.

Unlike BB, I don't think 1 quarter of the preseason is enough to judge the Falcons WRs or Harrington.

I just alluded to the fact that ATL were catching the football just fine when Harrington was throwing the football in the preseason game and comparing that to complaints about ATL WRs that excused Vick's crappy passing.

:wacko:

I just alluded to the fact that ATL were catching the football just fine when Harrington was throwing the football in the preseason game and comparing that to complaints about ATL WRs that excused Vick's crappy passing.

If only Roddy White and Michael Jenkins had to play only one quarter per game... in games that don't mean anything.

Anyways, like I said before it will be disingenuous to proclaim that Harrington was the answer at QB or anyone else for that matter. The offensive gameplan is a complete 180 from Knapp. Placing part of the blame on Knapp (fyi... I do believe that Vick shares some blame in the failure of the Falcons' offense over the last few years) is not something that has just been made up...

Even Crumpler and Dunn have been outspoken about Knapp's predictability and unimaginative play-calling...

From Don Banks' Falcons TC Postcard :D

2. It sounds like the Falcons playbook is going to be a lot more versatile, creative, adaptive or complicated this season -- take your pick. Crumpler said one of the reasons why no one's thinking of Vick these days is because they're all too busy learning new plays from their head coach. Petrino has a "fire-hose method to his play-installation,'' said one team source. He shoots the playbook at his players in rapid succession, and then stands back to see how much they absorbed.

Petrino's system puts plenty of responsibility in the hands of the quarterback to read the defense and react to what they might be planning. Without criticizing former Falcons offensive coordinator Greg Knapp, who he admires as a play-caller, Crumpler said he welcomes the increased latitude that Petrino's system features.

"We're not just going to be stubborn and call a play six times in a row and expect it to work every time,'' he said. "We've got so much more flexibility in what we can do in our calls. Our schemes are so different. There's a lot of accountability on each person to do their job. For one thing, we all have to hold our blocks a lot longer in our running game this year. I liked Greg Knapp and I think he's a very good play-caller. But you don't have to try and call the perfect play every time in this offense.''

From last December... :D

Players said they are determined to win Sunday, but to do so, either some of the ideology or the execution must change.

Crumpler claimed the offensive approach, under coordinator Greg Knapp, has been directionless. Running back Warrick Dunn, who has rushed for a team-high 1,082 yards, agreed with Crumpler.

"We're a running football team and we have to stick with what we do best," Dunn said. "You're going to have to run the football in November and December. "Those are the months it comes down to show you have an identity. Sticking to it, that's going to win or lose football games for you. For us, we haven't had a true identity. We've had a lot of injuries and a lot of different situations but we haven't stuck to what we've done over the last few years to win games."

I voted no, but I believe they are better off without Vick. He is a poor passer and poor leader, completely overhyped because he could run. That extra element translated to wins for the Falcons for sure, but against better defenses and in big games, we saw why Vick was a liablity:

• Better defenses have been able to pressure and contain Vick, limiting his runs and forcing him to drop back and throw.
    Vick is probably the last QB I would ever want in third and long. If I need my QB to step up and make a clutch throw to keep a drive alive, I'll take just about anyone but him.
    Because he lacks character and leadership, he is also the last guy I would want to lead my team into the playoffs.

Maybe this is why Dunn said:

“I don’t think anybody on this team, right now, is hoping that Mike comes back.”

His quickness and elusiveness make him exciting to watch, and he has been able to completely dominate AT TIMES. But almost as often, especially in big spots, defenses catch up to him, and/or he chokes, making poor throws, fumbling the ball or throwing INTs, just looking lost out there. Being a good QB means doing more than just one thing well. Eventually you are going to be tested, and you better be the total package or the better coaches/teams will figure you out pretty quickly. You can blame the receivers or the game plan all you want, at the end of the day the QB is the leader of the offense and you will only get as far as he takes you.

Because he lacks character and leadership, he is also the last guy I would want to lead my team into the playoffs.

This comment fits Hairball to a T as well..............the guy has no heart, no balls, good riddance piano boy.

I still think that it's hilarious that the WRs weren't dropping the balls Harrington threw last week, while Vick's excuse for years is that the WRs sucked.

Maybe all the WRs are dog lovers...

Wide Retrievers

Those, what was the last game, 3 caught passes are sure going to go in the record book for Atlanta. :D

No, just waiting for the Harrington band wagon to start up again so I can laugh at it.

not as much as everyone else is laughing about what an ass clown Vick is . . .

Hey WaterMan, you remember a couple years ago when you were bragging about how Vick took the Falcons to the NFC Championship faster than Manning took the Colts to his first AFC Championship? Well, in the two seasons since, the Falcons have gone 8-8 and 7-9. Missed the play-offs. He apparently was so frustrated by his lack of accomplishments, he took up dog-fighting, and is currently not practicing.

I don't know if you noticed, but Manning's team hasn't had a non-winning season since 2001. Made the play-offs each year. Won the Super Bowl.

And before you start complaining about Vick not having a defense (which is hilarious, considering all the smack you would talk when people would use that as an excuse for Manning) you might want to check and see that Manning won the SB with the 32nd ranked run defense. I guess some guys are difference makers. Some guys electrocute dogs. . .