[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

McNabb says black QB's are criticized more

tonyr0802

This may be the most ludicrous thing I have ever read on these boards, and that says alot. Matt, I am hoping your comment here was taken out of context. Eagles ownership is one of the best in the NFL, bar none....its why the Eagles can attract the most marquee free agents out there....players love it here, ownership is not the issue.

If your comments were related to player-personell decisions (GM, scouting for drafts, etc.), thats a different story. The Luries play no part in this.

Interesting, all I ever hear is that they are among the cheapest in the league and thus often do not land the big names and end up losing players to free agency. I can understand not keeping Stallworth around, but you can't just sit idle and hope Brown steps up and becomes something he's not. McNabb has his limitations but keeping a bunch of journeymen receivers around will only ensure more mediocre play.

Maybe I should have said "management" instead of "ownership" but it's just semantics. If it's the GM's fault, then the owners should bring in a GM who will sign a frigging WR for their franchise QB to throw to.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had a gun stuck in my face while being called a "white m'fer." Don't assume that Joe Average White Guy at The Huddle has never been a target of racism.

While that is a horrifying experience, I think we can assume that you are not the "average" Huddler.

I'd bet whatever you want that most here who are opining on how someone is responding to racism, have never been the target themselves. That was the point I was making.

And I am sorry you had that terrible experience.

Interesting, all I ever hear is that they are among the cheapest in the league and thus often do not land the big names and end up losing players to free agency. I can understand not keeping Stallworth around, but you can't just sit idle and hope Brown steps up and becomes something he's not. McNabb has his limitations but keeping a bunch of journeymen receivers around will only ensure more mediocre play.

Maybe I should have said "management" instead of "ownership" but it's just semantics. If it's the GM's fault, then the owners should bring in a GM who will sign a frigging WR for their franchise QB to throw to.

Interesting how things are taken in other cities...maybe it is my home view, but:

In 2004, we signed Kearse and Owens, the top two free agents on the market.

In 2006, they signed Garcia to decent money to be a back-up.

In 2006, we traded for and re-signed Spikes.

Is there another team over that span that spent the kind of money the Eagles did on top free agents? Perhaps, but not many.

In 2003, the Luries built a state of the art training facility called the Novacare Complex...out of their own pocket. I toured it after it opened, and it is absolutely amazing.

And in regard to your comment about the WRs, while I too wish we had a more studly presense at the wideout, to say they are "Journeyman" WRs is a reach. Brown is in his 3rd year and many projected him to have a stellar year (he was ranked #21 by DMD pre-season, and drafted in that spot by many FF players...someone besides the Eagles brass also drank the cool-aid), and Curtis should have been a more-than-solid #2 if Brown was indeed a real #1...that remains to be seen.

Really? Well, I've never been killed, but I'm pretty sure that I know when someone is dead. That type of remark is utter BS and nothing but an excuse to create a victim status and/or perpetuate racism.

The proper correlation to your ridiculous comment would be to know what it feels like to be killed, not to be able to recognize a dead person.

Thank you for making it perfectly clear what an utter BS comment is...I now can clearly recognize that, for sure.

Interesting how things are taken in other cities...maybe it is my home view, but:

Is there another team over that span that spent the kind of money the Eagles did on top free agents? Perhaps, but not many.

Yeah...like the Falcons!!!! Theirs just don't pay off! :wacko::D

Peerless Price, Ed Hartwell, John Abraham...just to name a few... :D

In 2004, we signed Kearse and Owens, the top two free agents on the market.

In 2006, they signed Garcia to decent money to be a back-up.

In 2006, we traded for and re-signed Spikes.

In 2003, the Luries built a state of the art training facility called the Novacare Complex...out of their own pocket. I toured it after it opened, and it is absolutely amazing.

And in regard to your comment about the WRs, while I too wish we had a more studly presense at the wideout, to say they are "Journeyman" WRs is a reach. Brown is in his 3rd year and many projected him to have a stellar year (he was ranked #21 by DMD pre-season, and drafted in that spot by many FF players...someone besides the Eagles brass also drank the cool-aid), and Curtis should have been a more-than-solid #2 if Brown was indeed a real #1...that remains to be seen.

They also signed Darren Howard and mady a play for LeCharles Bently. I think because the Eagles don't overpay they are looked at as cheap. Trotter wanted big money so he signed with Washington. How did that work out? He wound up back with the Eagles 2-3 year later. If the Eagles were that bad of a franchise players wouldn't come back (Trotter, Hugh Douglas, etc.). I wish the Eagles would go out and signed a top WR to give McNabb another weapon but it doesn't look like that will happen. It has nothing to do with being cheap and everything to do with Andy Reid's ego. He thinks he can plug any players into any positions other then QB. It isn't just a coincidence that the two positions the Eagles are weakest at (WR & LB) are the two positions that Andy Reid does put much emphasis on. When he has tried to address WR he has failed pretty bad other then T.O.

Edited by ebartender

Yeah, this reeks of an absurd deflection to me. He's in crisis. He's still coming off the injury, 2nd rounder waiting in the wings for his gig, can't hit his targets, 0-2, and Iggles fans are relentless.

It just sucks that he'd resort to this. I've always liked McNabb, but this is a knee jerk reaction.

EnD beat me to what i was going to say(see below)

FWIW, it says the interview took place August 31, well before he and his Eagles were 0-2.
Edited by keggerz

EnD beat me to what i was going to say(see below)

Keep reading the thread and you'll find my acknowledgment and apology. Hey, wow, it's the very next reply down in the thread from EnD. But thanks for saying what's been said, and bringing it to my attention again.

Edited by Sturphy

I think we also have to keep in mind the Philly fans are going to be much harder on their QB than any other town would be, regardless of race.

No one is more critical to their QB than Lions fans. Hell the most popular QB in Detroit is the back-up. Maybe McNabb should call one of our former QB's and see if they were ever criticized . (Harrington, Orlovsky, Kitna, Mitchell, Kramer, Danielson, Long...) What doe they all have in common Donovan? :D

Bad Mcnabb.......Bad Mcnabb..........Look Donovan, your playing terrible and the team is 0-2 as a result. You just got beat at home by Campbell and co. Come on, your passes are in the dirt or in the stands and your deep ball is 5 yards over thrown. You should have asked for better recievers, ones that can get open so you don't have to make perfect passes all the time. I know your knee isn't where it should be and neither is Westbrooks, but that is no excuse to pull out the race card. Your stinking up the joint and everyone knows it. Just shut up and play better or your going to get run out of Philly with a cheese steak up your rear. When everthing is great your praise like a prize rooster but when your playing like crap and called on it you pull the race thing. BS.

That is all................

Meh. I am tired of hearing McNabb bitch and whine about how he's disrespected and how hard it is for him to play QB in Philly. Philly fans are so tough, blah blah blah. He had Pro Bowl caliber set of skills but has never had the mind to dominate a season from beginning to end. Too sensitive, not enough fight or drive? Impossible to say. What we do know is he couldn't beat Washington, even after dumping it off to Westy for 180 total yards. He is now just a QB, black or not, who cannot complete a simple out route on the goal line to Kevin Curtis. His feet used to buy that team yards and cause problems for defenses and now this isn't a case of black, white, or pink. This is a simple story about a guy who once had a certain skill package, has aged and been injured, and is now looking for some sort of easy way to define his problems while refusing to see his own weakness. The dude threw for 78 yards in the 1st half. Confidence or ignorance? I am going complete and utter stupidity for being unable to look at himself in the mirror and see that he has not thrown for over 250 yards in a game this year. He has also only thrown 1 TD pass. Not a way to help your team win games, black or not.

I guess what bothers me most, and leads me to all these assumptions, is that when prodded by Gumbel he does not take responsibility for himself. He does not say, "I am criticized more" because I have not won the big games, came up short in the Super Bowl, or have had a terrible injury history. No, no. He says, "But they don't get criticized as much as we do..." Ah, yes, classic deflection. Like a child after he has failed out of Special Ed. Instead McNabb immediately goes to blaming his lack of perceived success on the perceptions of black QBs by media or fans. What?! Ah yes, "those" guys will always be better and "we" (black QBs) will forever be maligned and never be able to be successful. Y

And I almost pissed my pants reading the last section - "If you put your hands on me hands on me"? Give me a break. The Washington Defense layed hands on him all Monday night and he couldn't get it done. Simple as that.

McNabb is done. Stick a fork in him. Kolb starts by week 7. Off to the waiver wire I go.

The interview was taped Aug. 31,

Before the season even BEGUN he was already bitching and complaining. Nevermind the fact that they are 0-2 now, the season wasn't even in progress! Imagine how much of the "Race" card he would be playing now! Christ!

GET OVER IT!

Your a top athlete getting paid to do the job! If you can't take the heat (fans) then get out of the kitchen! Its that simple!

I don't ever see races in other pro sports (hockey, baseball, basketball) playing the Race Card!

*tosses McNabb a crying towel* Im sure you are used to these by now!

Why is it acceptable for McNabb and Bryant Gumbel to complain that society is prejudiced against black QBs, but it's not OK for Rush Limbaugh to say that the media is propping up McNabb becasue they want a black QB to succeed? Aren't both camps essentially doing the same thing? The only real difference I see is that Limbaugh's comments were made in an inappropriate venue (ESPN's pre-game show) and, because of that, I agree with their decision to fire him. That said, Rush gets the "racist" label, while McNabb/Gumbel are allowed to point fingers play the race card. Apparently black QBs aren't the only ones who get the short end of the double-standard stick.

Edited by Bill Swerski

What does Mcnabb expect? Compassion, concern, empathy, understanding, and kindness while playing crappy and his team is 0-2. He's playing in the "City of Brotherly love" for cryin out loud. Play well and win otherwise they're going let you know about it. White or Black the only breaks in Philly are those that are administered by a bat and those on your car, period.........

The worst part is he going to get it even worse now. Philly is going down hill fast and at this point, I'm glad there aren't any brakes. Let the wheels come off for all I care.........

Welcome to world of 0-3 after Sunday Philly fans.............

The proper correlation to your ridiculous comment would be to know what it feels like to be killed, not to be able to recognize a dead person.

Thank you for making it perfectly clear what an utter BS comment is...I now can clearly recognize that, for sure.

You should recognize utter BS. You spouted it when you excused racism with the "you've never been a victim of racism so your opinion doesn't have validity" argument.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Here's the bottom line, and while McNabb wants to cloak it with charges of racism, it is plainly the elephant in the room:

McNabb is the 2nd highest paid QB in the league. During the past 3 seasons, he's played 21 of 36 possible games. In his starts over the past 3 years, PHI is 9-12. Without him starting, with the exact same personnel, PHI is 7-6. More importantly, last season McNabb was 5-5 in his starts while Garcia went 5-1 with the same team, including a 5 game winning streak.

McNabb isn't justifying his money with wins. It doesn't matter whether he's white, black, brown, yellow, green or polka-dot. Given that scenario, and especially playing in PHI, he's going to get a ton of criticism. That he wants to dismiss that as racism doesn't change the facts, and it does say a lot about his character.

McNabb was answering a question that had to do with race--from the heart, as he sees things. I don't think he was whining or being incendiary, just saying what he believed. Whether you agree with him or not (I don't) is a matter of opinion, but let's be fair to the guy and not disrespect him simply for answering a question.

Race always has and probably always will be a factor in the American conversation, at least to some degree. That said, I don't think race has much if anything to do with why McNabb gets criticized so much. Philly is a hard town, maybe the hardest, to please sports fans, so that's part of it. NFL QB's are usually the most visible athletes in their communities, and when the team is going bad (and even sometimes when they're not), the QB often gets the brunt of criticism, whether it's his fault or not. So that's another factor. As well, NFL fans tend to obsess way too much about Super Bowl victories when evaluating the greatness of a player, and I think McNabb suffers somewhat for not having won the big one, much like Manning did before last year. If McNabb ever does win a title, he'll be on top of the world, and the color of his skin will have nothing to do with it.

I also agree there is some truth to what he is saying. I think that when folks see a black quarterback, they expect him to be a runner, with passing secondary. A black pure pocket passer will go up against that stereotype and possibly get more criticism. It might be tied into the stereotype that black players are more physically gifted than white.

Of course I'm white and non-athletic. What do I know? :D

Seems to me that people "love" Vince Young just fine. JaMarcus Russell went 1st overall. And McNabb's had a long career. And it didn't take Leftwich long to find work....not to mention the fact that his replacement in Jacksonville is black.

Now can we talk about racial equality in the NBA?

Bad Mcnabb.......Bad Mcnabb..........Look Donovan, your playing terrible and the team is 0-2 as a result. You just got beat at home by Campbell and co. Come on, your passes are in the dirt or in the stands and your deep ball is 5 yards over thrown. You should have asked for better recievers, ones that can get open so you don't have to make perfect passes all the time. I know your knee isn't where it should be and neither is Westbrooks, but that is no excuse to pull out the race card. Your stinking up the joint and everyone knows it. Just shut up and play better or your going to get run out of Philly with a cheese steak up your rear. When everthing is great your praise like a prize rooster but when your playing like crap and called on it you pull the race thing. BS.

That is all................

uh, the interview was August 31st, prior to any of the points you poorly make....

That is all........

You should recognize utter BS. You spouted it when you excused racism with the "you've never been a victim of racism so your opinion doesn't have validity" argument.

Sorry, wrong again....please re-read my post and comment intelligently, or refrain from posting incorrectly. Your 0-2, just like the Eagles.

I also agree there is some truth to what he is saying. I think that when folks see a black quarterback, they expect him to be a runner, with passing secondary. A black pure pocket passer will go up against that stereotype and possibly get more criticism. It might be tied into the stereotype that black players are more physically gifted than white.

Your view hits the nail on the head, cre8tiff...well done.

I also think this is what McNabb was referring to. People complain that he will never be an accurate pocket-passer, that his throws are too hard, or in the dirt...that he can't read defenses, etc. And some of it is valid, to an extent.

The problem lies in that those same people don't equally condemn pocket-passers like Manning, Brady, Palmer, etc. for not being the athlete that McNabb is. Can you imagine someone saying "Brady/Manning/Bulger sucks...he can't esacpe the pocket like Vince or McNabb or Vick and pick up 40 spectacular yards on the ground, so they are lesser QBs." It would be a ludicrous comment. Oddly, you don' t hear it as often as you do about McNabb or Vince....

I think that's what he was alluding to.