[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Let's Talk About the Junk Food

SheikYerbuti

Like I said before, the problem is people regard it as "Mexican food." :wacko: I don't know WHAT it is, but if you can't get shredded pork burritos in a verde sauce, you're Mex cred is dubious.

I use the term "Mexican" loosely with Taco Bell. There are many better places here in LA, but they'll claim it's Mexican so I'll catagorize it as such.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never been to Chipotle but my sources say it is like dog crap and ice cream. No joke, the cabana is the bomb diggity. it is as cheap or cheaper than the bell and better than most mexican restaurants.

whatever- I live in Phoenix, and went to school in Tucson, which has some of the best mexican food in the country.

Not always in the mood for a giant, heavy burrito

I effin love Chipotle- they make a damn good, fresh and fairly healthy burritos and tacos-

Arby's....

f'ing love it.

Ya Arby's is good stuff. They should bring back the Big Montana though...Not this "largest" that they try to pretend is the same size.

Chipotle....This is my most frequest cheat meal. At least once a month after a long day on the mountain.

In'n'Out...wish they'd make it to Oregon. FatBurger is pretty good as well. Can't remember the last time I was in a McDs, Wendy's, Burger King, etc.

Burgers - Whataburger or Wendys

Chicken - Chik-fil-a (expensive for ff though)

Sandwiches - Quiznos or Panera (not really ff but tasty)

Breakfast - Hardees (none down here though), Whataburger, McDonalds

Shakes - Jack in the Box

Tex-Mex - Taco Bell when drunk @ 3am

Other - Arbys, LJS

chipotle is pretty good (the very first one opened when i was in high school about 6 blocks from my school). not very "mexican" though. good, fresh ingredients. chicken is awesome but their carnitas are too salty.

taco cabana is solid. i wish they had them here, they would get a lot of my business.

mcdonald's sucks except for the fries. wendy's is pretty good, except for the fries. taco bell is not bad if you're trying to stuff yourself for about 5 bucks. i haven't eaten at a BK in about 5-10 years, or more.

in n' out is awesome. like taco cabana, if they had them here i'd be a regular.

subway and quizno's are alright, but i'll usually hit a deli instead.

So the Shiekette is into tex-mex. She went to UT and tells me about places like Taco Cabana in Austin where the burritos are cheap, big and delicious. Well, living in Jersey the best we can do when I don't feel like making homemade guac and seasoning beef and dicing tomatoes and grating cheese is Taco Bell. It's close, it's cheap, and (:D) I'm starting to think it's pretty damned tasty. Of course, I douse everything with Fire Sauce.

As far as the burger joints go, I don't eat McDonalds EVER (except the fries. . .man those fries are good), but I don't mind Wendy's. I think the L&T are pretty fresh, and I like that they put mustard on the burgers standard.

Sound out guys. . .let's hear about your favorite drive-thru.

I live in Austin. I'm sure your wife misses Trudy's, Chuy's, etc.... but Taco Cabana? :wacko: Disgusting. Maybe drunk, late-night tacos... but in terms of being good "Tex Mex", Taco Cabana's nowhere close. :D

If I had the drive and determination I would open a Taco Cabana here and be a millionaire in 5 years. It is the greatest chain "restaurant" and one would fly here, big time.

:moon:

Taco Cabana???........ interesting never heard of it and I am in chain restaurant heaven/hell here in Scottsdale.

Chipotle is the best chain mexi I have eaten in - and by far the most successful in the US - is it comparable to Chipotle?

NO. I would say it's a step above Taco Bell... but I actually prefer Taco Bell.

I live in Austin. I'm sure your wife misses Trudy's, Chuy's, etc.... but Taco Cabana? :wacko: Disgusting. Maybe drunk, late-night tacos... but in terms of being good "Tex Mex", Taco Cabana's nowhere close. :D

:D

Darin speaketh the truth.

I love me Chipotle and Qdoba. We also have Panchero's in the area, but I prefer the other two. Qdoba is my favorite. I only eat there about once a month. While the ingredients are healthy, the calories add up. It's always good. I'll usually skip breakfast and have a light dinner if I eat there. F'n hugh burritos.

I love me Chipotle and Qdoba. We also have Panchero's in the area, but I prefer the other two. Qdoba is my favorite. I only eat there about once a month. While the ingredients are healthy, the calories add up. It's always good. I'll usually skip breakfast and have a light dinner if I eat there. F'n hugh burritos.

Qdoba is good stuff. When they first opened one here we went to it all the time and my wife and her friends use to eat there religiously for lunch. They ASSUMED it was healthy because of the ingredients but when they looked it up online they found out that even the chicken tacos were packed with calories.

We eat there about once a month now.

Edited by twiley

Qdoba is good stuff. When they first opened one here we went to it all the time and my wife and her friends use to eat there religiously for lunch. They ASSUMED it was healthy because of the ingredients but when they looked it up online they found out that even the chicken tacos were packed with calories.

We eat there about once a month now.

Same with Chipotle. Depending on what you put on it, I think the chicken burrito ranges from ~1100 calories to ~1600-1700 calories.

:D

I know it's quite a faux pas for a wife to post under her husband's ID, but I've been personally called out, so I'm defending my food-choosing-honor.

To discuss Chuy's in the discussion misses the glorious category of junk food. Chuy's is a sit-down restaurant, where you go to have a margarita with the underage Bush daughters. And, quite frankly, if you're in Austin, you can throw a stone to any Mom 'n' Pop Mexican restaurant that's cheaper and generally better than Chuy's. (*dreamily* the place down the street from me had a greasy delicious chorizo queso that was a meal unto itself)

Taco Cabana, on the other hand, fits the requirements of this thread. It's very cheap, it's drive-thru, and it's the tex-mex version of a McD's (after all, I was in Austin for grad school, struggling with all the necessary ingenuity that comes with the poverty). Its shining, glorious virtue is they give free guacamole with your order, which I consider a clear step up from Taco Bell (where you have to pay for sour cream, and they've never heard of guacomole.)

Now, I'll go back to hovering in the wings while my oh-so-wise husband commandeers the name of The Sheik

--The Sheikette

I know it's quite a faux pas for a wife to post under her husband's ID, but I've been personally called out, so I'm defending my food-choosing-honor.

To discuss Chuy's in the discussion misses the glorious category of junk food. Chuy's is a sit-down restaurant, where you go to have a margarita with the underage Bush daughters. And, quite frankly, if you're in Austin, you can throw a stone to any Mom 'n' Pop Mexican restaurant that's cheaper and generally better than Chuy's. (*dreamily* the place down the street from me had a greasy delicious chorizo queso that was a meal unto itself)

Taco Cabana, on the other hand, fits the requirements of this thread. It's very cheap, it's drive-thru, and it's the tex-mex version of a McD's (after all, I was in Austin for grad school, struggling with all the necessary ingenuity that comes with the poverty). Its shining, glorious virtue is they give free guacamole with your order, which I consider a clear step up from Taco Bell (where you have to pay for sour cream, and they've never heard of guacomole.)

Now, I'll go back to hovering in the wings while my oh-so-wise husband commandeers the name of The Sheik

--The Sheikette

darin got owned by a girl. :wacko::D

--The Sheikette

welcome. and thanks for chiming in. :D

darin got owned by a girl. :D:moon:

:wacko:

Not exactly fitting the fast food theme this thread has taken, but under the category of junk food, I have just been introduced to some delicious ice cream sandwiches from Trader Joe's. Vanilla ice cream packed between two chocolate chip cookies then rolled in mini chocolate chips.

:homerdrool:

--The Sheikette

Sheikette -

I need you to make a sign saying Darin is my bitch and then take a photo of you holding it.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by twiley

The double $6 burger at Carls Jr. is pretty tasty. :wacko:

I've had my share of Carl's Jr., and had my first Six Dollar Burger a few weeks ago. I couldn't tell any difference. It was a little thicker than their normal burgers, but I actually prefer a thinner burger patty. Their Super Star is pretty tasty. Flame-grilling is the bomb.