[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

YOUR Draft Day Grades for your team on day one

keggerz

Packers: B-

I think Ted Thompson took a calculated risk that he could trade down to 36 in the 2nd round and still get Brandon Flowers. When the Chiefs took Flowers right ahead of the Packers, Thompson's B option was Jordy Nelson who I had thought might have been available with the Pack's 56 pick later in the round.

Sad to say, but Driver is getting up there in NFL years and I see Nelson being a fine successor as the go-to possession receiver in GB's offense. The four and five receiver sets also were successful last year, so I see Nelson being utilized immediately. The Nelson selection will look better over time.

I was surprised the Brian Bohm fell to 56th overall and am very happy Thompson reeled him in. I'm sold on Aaron Rodgers' ability to be a good NFL QB, but I'm not confident in his durability. In Bohm, the Pack have a talented QB who is a good fit for their offensive system to back up Rodgers and, maybe, replace him if Rodgers is too brittle. I feel much better about the team's QB depth now.

Patrick Lee was probably the best CB available at the 60th overall pick, but I think he's a depth pick and not a realistic replacement for Woodson or Harris. Coming up short on the calculated risk to trade down will prove costly to the Packers as they will probably need to address CB via free agency rather than the draft next year.

While Nelson and Bohm are additions that add needed depth at WR and QB, the grade for Day One is dropped due to not addressing the CB position adequately, which I felt was the most clear-cut need.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Titans: D-

For the 2nd straight year, they failed to draft a weapon for Vince Young. Now we get to see him throw passes to Justin Gage and Roydell Williams again next season. I just don't understand how you can draft a franchise QB, then not give him ANY weapons to work with on offense. That sounds like a great idea! It's frustrating because they could have picked any receiver they wanted in round 1. Besides all that, didn't Tennessee just draft a speedy RB in round 2 last year? They're really already giving up on him?

The only reason that this is not an F is because Jason Jones is actually a fine pick who will provide depth along the defensive line, something that is sorely needed.

You were probably heartbroken when the Steelers grabbed Limas Sweed right before your pick in rd 2.

Eagles D-

The Eagles could have stayed right where they started and got OT Jeff Otah (19th) and WR DeSean Jackson (49th). Both major needs.

I believe that if Reid had his way the Eagles would have McNabb, Westbrook, and 50 DTs on the team.

Von

+1

They could have grabbed DT depth on day 2. I know they like to use a 4 DT rotation but they have more pressing needs like a big WR to use in the red zone, safety, and OL depth (both starting tackles are over 33 years old and in the last year of their contracts I believe).

I would have been happy with Otah & Jackson. That would allow them to work Otah in at LT and Winston Justice at RT. Even Desean Jackson and Limas Sweed/Malcolm Kelly would have been nice. 2 WR might seem odd, but it would take care of KR/PR and the big WR they need.

I just don't understnad moving down two years in a row to stock pile picks when they are pretty close to contending in the NFC now. It is almost like the Eagles just want to compete each year instead of going for it. I still hate the Kolb pick last year.

Now maybe they use some picks in a trade for a veteran WR or something else. Then that might change how I view their draft.

I have no idea. The Lions addressed two needs, but I don't know chit about either player. According to the 'experts', both players were supposed to go lower than they were drafted. Marinelli likes 'football' players over athletes. Looking for a certain type of attitude with his players I guess.

Dolphins..

as of now... a B..

Without us being able to trade down, I like the Long pick. I like getting him signed early and in camp on time. I like how it allowed us to focus on other players during the draft and how it will take a load off signing the players after the draft.

Sparano is an O-line coach. As such, he knows what to look for in the OL and the DL. Parcels is all about the trenches. If they like Long, I like long. He might not be flashy - but he should be consistant.

I don't watch college ball but what I said about the braintrust of Miami and olineman, the same applies to dlineman so I trust the Merling pick.

I am trilled with Henne and the idea of him moving on with his LT. It makes me smile. Again, I don't watch College ball but I read a little on Henne and he seems a lot like Long - very good and very consistant. The way he was described reminded me of Brady.

I hate our trading of Booker - that really hurts the draft grade for me, but our trade yesterday was a bit of a coup.

I kind of thing that Miami threw Dallas a bone for how cool they have been to Miami.

The first pick tomorrow will say a lot as to the overall quality of the FIns '08 draft. So far so good. All solid picks in positions of need. They have tonight to restructure their board and come out with the first pick of the day. They have to make it count.

Cason's a solid corner. I just hope we can get some depth on both lines and at RB in the latter rounds. :wacko:

B- for now.

Though it goes against the norm for AJ Smith, and I know he was trying to trade down, but no takers. We'll see what happens on day two. They have a bunch of picks that they could send to a team that needs more bodies. Frankly, the Boltz are only looking for depth players and not many first year guys will make the squad.

Cason is an AJ style guy and was taken over quite a few CBs rated higher. Coming out of Arizona's passing congerence as a four year starter, he will contribute immediately and make this team. His ability to blitz and play inside will make him an instant fill in for many of the roles that Weddel filled last year now that he is the starting FS. His total package is a grat fit for the Bolts D.

Their second round pick was Pro Bowl caliber WE Cris Chambers, who took the Chargers passing game to a new level and got better every week. What used to be the big question mark on this team offensively is now argualble one of the best in the NFL with Chambers, Vjax, Parker (returning healthy), Naanee. and special teams Pro Bowler Osgood.

Use of both picks for what was needed, available and lack of ability to trade down... A

Though it goes against the norm for AJ Smith, and I know he was trying to trade down, but no takers. We'll see what happens on day two. They have a bunch of picks that they could send to a team that needs more bodies. Frankly, the Boltz are only looking for depth players and not many first year guys will make the squad.

Cason is an AJ style guy and was taken over quite a few CBs rated higher. Coming out of Arizona's passing congerence as a four year starter, he will contribute immediately and make this team. His ability to blitz and play inside will make him an instant fill in for many of the roles that Weddel filled last year now that he is the starting FS. His total package is a grat fit for the Bolts D.

Their second round pick was Pro Bowl caliber WE Cris Chambers, who took the Chargers passing game to a new level and got better every week. What used to be the big question mark on this team offensively is now argualble one of the best in the NFL with Chambers, Vjax, Parker (returning healthy), Naanee. and special teams Pro Bowler Osgood.

Use of both picks for what was needed, available and lack of ability to trade down... A

:wacko:

Eagles D-

The Eagles could have stayed right where they started and got OT Jeff Otah (19th) and WR DeSean Jackson (49th). Both major needs.

I believe that if Reid had his way the Eagles would have McNabb, Westbrook, and 50 DTs on the team.

Von

Sorry,, but I disagree. I give them a solid B, and pending what they do with the extra picks they received, perhaps an "A".

Passing on Otah was tough. The Eagles stated they really liked him , and I think they had to be bowled over to trade the pick. Carolina bowled them over. The trade was a no-brianer.

Had you been told, prior to the draft, that the Eagles would have taken Jackson in the first round and a solid defensive tackle in the second round, you would have been pretty happy, I think. Well, the Eagles drafted Jackson and Laws, brought in more speed and quickness and versatility with 2nd-year player Booker (who they loved in last year's draft), AND added a first-round draft pick in 2009.

Pretty hard to give them a D.

I'm relatively happy with the Lions picks. OL and LB are/were the most gigantic of holes on a team that had many notable ones. I'm extraordinarily happy that Millen didn't take a skill position player (I was dreading a Mendenhall pick at 1.15). I've heard several questions about the players themselves - did we pick the right OL and LB? I don't follow college ball enough to comment. I will say that both guys seem to be the blue-collar, hard-working types that Marinelli loves, and if that inflated their draft position a bit, that's fine with me.

Overall Grade: B

Grade for Not Making Mel Kiper Happy: A+

Sorry,, but I disagree. I give them a solid B, and pending what they do with the extra picks they received, perhaps an "A".

Passing on Otah was tough. The Eagles stated they really liked him , and I think they had to be bowled over to trade the pick. Carolina bowled them over. The trade was a no-brianer.

Had you been told, prior to the draft, that the Eagles would have taken Jackson in the first round and a solid defensive tackle in the second round, you would have been pretty happy, I think. Well, the Eagles drafted Jackson and Laws, brought in more speed and quickness and versatility with 2nd-year player Booker (who they loved in last year's draft), AND added a first-round draft pick in 2009.

Maybe a D is a little harsh because the value they received for their 1st was great, but I can't see giving them a B. They used their 1st pick of the day for a position that wasn't a pressing need. They could have upgraded at S, added a LT, and/or grabbed the big, red-zone target that the Eagles have been missing since TO. I would rather have seen them address those need before adding depth at DT. I never have a problem with adding to the OL or DL but I just think they would have served the tema better now by drafting players to fill current needs. I love Jackson for his PR/KR skills but he is another under-sized WR who will have a hard time getting off the line. They still need a big WR which they could have had with Malcolm Kelly or Limas Sweed. They could have added DT depth or a KR/PR type player in round 3 or 4 with all of their picks.

Now all of this is moot if they use the picks to make a big trade like Roy Williams or Boldin.

Edited by ebartender

I'm relatively happy with the Lions picks. OL and LB are/were the most gigantic of holes on a team that had many notable ones. I'm extraordinarily happy that Millen didn't take a skill position player (I was dreading a Mendenhall pick at 1.15). I've heard several questions about the players themselves - did we pick the right OL and LB? I don't follow college ball enough to comment. I will say that both guys seem to be the blue-collar, hard-working types that Marinelli loves, and if that inflated their draft position a bit, that's fine with me.

Overall Grade: B

Grade for Not Making Mel Kiper Happy: A+

All kidding aside I was expectin Sweed.

Eagles get a C+ IMO...the trade is pretty much A quality...but getting a DT over anything else with their 1st pick received zero reaction from me...

That is how I see it. I think they made out real well with the trade but I would have liked to see them grab maybe a safety or OT instead of DT. I just don't get it. Are they saying they don't trust Bunkley and Patterson who were both recent 1st round picks? I just hope they plan on using Jackson more as a KR/PR. Which still leaves them with a need to upgrade the WR position.

I like the Stewart pick as he is what we have been missing since Stephen Davis started declining, however, I was not overly pleased that we overpaid IMO for moving back into the 1st round, however, it is now or never for Fox and Hurney.

I give the Panthers a B- for Day 1 as they aggresively addressed two of our biggest needs that should really improve our offense and help us control the clock this season, however, I think we paid too much for Otah when several good players were available at 43 that could have helped the team without mortgaging 2009. If we make the playoffs this year I will feel better about this trade, but if we miss the playoffs for the 3rd straight year, Fox and Hurney will be shown the door and cripple the team with a high pick that will go to the Eagles.

No. I wanted the Eagles to get Otah. The Eagles need two OTs, and grabbing a Otah would have given him time to grow during this year. For next year the Eagles could have looked at free-agency or trade for a veteran OT for their second needed spot.

Well at least with how Reid is ruining this team, he will eventually give the Eagles a top 5 first rounder and hopefully be out the door (so he doesn't trade it away for another 2nd round DT).

Von

You are nuts, Washington got 3 very nice players. And they certainly could use some help at WR. Malcom Kelly is going to be a playmaker at the next level.

I must disagree. I think the Redskins did an excellent job. By trading down they still got the best WR and were able to pick up a nice recieving TE. Cooley needs a backup. I would like to have seen a DE made with the last #2 pick but I think the Cards got their targeted player the pick before. I give them a B plus to A minus

Sorry to disagree with ya but the Redskins need to draft youth in their D-line instead of blowing picks on WRs. What kind of playmaker can Kelly be if his QB continues to over throw the ball? This team cannot expect to compete with Dallas' passing attack unless they get/got DT that can disrupt Romo by applying pressure and freeing up the LBs to stop those short passes. The Redskins will not be a high powered passing offense. The Giants and the Eagles will all have better passing attacks than the skins. The skins needed to lock up their D-line with youth and depth. We have the Rushing games which can control the clock. Wasting picks on these three receiving positions was completely stupid IMO. I'll give it up to 1 WR. That's fine. You can trade for a another one. The skins D has a great secondary, alright to good LBs but injury to the D-line will kill us.

Also we need to lock up the O-line as well.

I personally think they screwed da pooch.

Titans: D-

For the 2nd straight year, they failed to draft a weapon for Vince Young. Now we get to see him throw passes to Justin Gage and Roydell Williams again next season. I just don't understand how you can draft a franchise QB, then not give him ANY weapons to work with on offense. That sounds like a great idea! It's frustrating because they could have picked any receiver they wanted in round 1. Besides all that, didn't Tennessee just draft a speedy RB in round 2 last year? They're really already giving up on him?

The only reason that this is not an F is because Jason Jones is actually a fine pick who will provide depth along the defensive line, something that is sorely needed.

They did the same thing with Mcnair and almost won a super bowl. But then again Mcnair was decent while ky sucks.

Falcons B-

Funny how most people posting on here have a C+ as the worst (most are A or B ratings) and only a few are willing to grade negative for their team. That's the beauty of the draft I guess. At this point, everything sounds good (if spun correctly). I thought second-guessing and armchair quarterbacking was what we FFBaller's did best?? That's why many of us got into this in the first place! Well, the true test of a good draft (just like Fanstasy) will come on the second day (later rounds) draft picks and most of us won't truly know until much these guys have had a chance to prove their NFL worth.

All this being said,it's still fun to throw in an opinion...so, I grade the Falcons out at a B-, with the chance of falling further. Then again, they have enough picks in this draft to raise the value. Only problem is...I probably won't know enough about the 2nd day picks to make that call. All I know is that their new GM has a quality track record with the Pats to trust him...

Edited by millerx

Falcons B-

Funny how most people posting on here have a C+ as the worst (most are A or B ratings) and only a few are willing to grade negative for their team. That's the beauty of the draft I guess. At this point, everything sounds good (if spun correctly). I thought second-guessing and armchair quarterbacking was what we FFBaller's did best?? That's why many of us got into this in the first place! Well, the true test of a good draft (just like Fanstasy) will come on the second day (later rounds) draft picks and most of us won't truly know until much these guys have had a chance to prove their NFL worth.

All this being said,it's still fun to throw in an opinion...so, I grade the Falcons out at a B-, with the chance of falling further. Then again, they have enough picks in this draft to raise the value. Only problem is...I probably won't know enough about the 2nd day picks to make that call. All I know is that their new GM has a quality track record with the Pats to trust him...

They reached for a franchise qb hoping to put people in the stands. They would have been far better to have have gone wr and got Henne later who will be a lot better than the BC kid.

KC = A+

Heading into the day, I expected:

1.05 = OT ... OG .... DT ... DE ... CB ... WR ... QB

1.17 = ...see above...

2.04 = ...see above...

3.03 = ...see above...

3.10 = ...see above...

3.19 = ...see above...

4.06 = ...see above...

5.01 = OL ... DL ... CB ... RB ... QB ... TE

5.05 = ...see above...

6.04 = ...see above...

6.16 = ...see above...

7.03 = ...see above...

7.32 = ...see above...

So, to have:

1.05 = DT

1.17 = OT/OG

2.05 = CB

Means that the Chiefs are drafting per my schedule.

Next up tomorrow (after trades):

3rd round = OL ... WR .... DL ... one of QB, TE or RB

3rd round = ...see above...

3rd round = ...see above...

4th round = ...see above...

5th round = OL ... DL or OL ... CB ... two of QB or RB or TE

6th round = ...see above...

6th round = ...see above...

7th round = ...see above...

7th round = ...see above...

Disagree, even though Dorsey will be a stud they should have addressed their pitiful offense.

:wacko:

Edited by polksalet

They reached for a franchise qb hoping to put people in the stands. They would have been far better to have have gone wr and got Henne later who will be a lot better than the BC kid.

As a Wolverine homer, I can assure you that Matt Ryan is on another level than Henne. People talk all day about Ryan's turnovers, completion percentage... blah blah blah

Matt Ryan did what he did with inferior talent around him. Matt Ryan graded out by most experts right up there with Eli Manning, Phillip Rivers and Roethlisberger. For all the highlight plays you see from Henne, there are 2-3 attempts that are way off target. He has mental lapses on the field as well. He's got heart, but he's nowhere near Ryan. Ryan is a good pick. Hindsight is 20/20 and people can say they should have taken Dorsey 1st then waited for Brohm or Henne, but not many thought they'd fall that far...

I think the Falcons are doing really well, and with this pick, Matt Ryan becomes the franchise quarterback and the face of the organization... This also closes the Mike Vick chapter finally.