[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Baltimore - Houston game moved to Monday night

Ziachild007

http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/09/11/nfl-texans...-hurricane-ike/

NFL monitoring Hurricane Ike

As Hurricane Ike takes aim at the Texas Gulf Coast, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said Thursday the league has contingencies in place should the storm impact Sunday’s game between the Texans and Ravens at Houston’s Reliant Stadium.

Goodell said the NFL is prepared to allow the game to be potentially played as late as Monday. A plan is also in place to postpone the game and make scheduling changes to play it later in the season.

First and foremost, said Goodell, is the priority of public safety in the Houston region.

“We’re tracking the storm just like everybody else, and wishing all the people in the potential region that it’s not as damaging and not as dangerous as they’re predicting,” Goodell said in an interview with NFL.com. “As part of that, we look at the alternatives. How do we continue to operate the league?

“We’re looking at alternatives if the storm is severe enough that it would prevent us from playing, whether that’s damage to the stadium, or fans not being able to get to the stadium, or whether, frankly, there’s just higher priorities in that community than playing a football game. We understand our place in the community, and we understand the first priority is public safety. We would not do anything to stress emergency workers and law enforcement workers from doing their job.”

Sunday’s game between the Texans and Ravens is scheduled for 4:15 p.m. ET. Goodell said the league would hold off making any determinations about the game until they’ve fully evaluated the situation and government officials in the Houston market can make determinations about the impact on the community.

Published online reports from the AP say authorities in the Houston area and along the Southeast Texas Gulf Coast have ordered hundreds of thousands of people to evacuate Thursday as Ike approached the coast and threatened to grow even stronger.

“The reality is we have contingencies,” said Goodell. “We are prepared for it. We will make that decision at the first practical time.”

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Goodell said the NFL is prepared to allow the game to be potentially played as late as Monday. A plan is also in place to postpone the game and make scheduling changes to play it later in the season.

All good thoughts being sent to the people of Houston and surrounding areas for a safe weekend.

Thant being said.....

This would be a fantasy-first, and it would be interesting to see how different leagues would handle it. Would HOU-BAL players this weekend be treated as if they were on a bye-week?

Or would their stats from a future date be added back to Week 2?

But what if that future date was later than Week 13, when most fantasy playoffs begin? How would that be accounted for?

Wierd scenario.

This would be a fantasy-first, and it would be interesting to see how different leagues would handle it. Would HOU-BAL players this weekend be treated as if they were on a bye-week?

But what if that future date was later than Week 13, when most fantasy playoffs begin? How would that be accounted for?

Wierd scenario.

For FF purposes, those 2 teams would be treated like bye-week players. Would create havoc if that week's results weren't finalized until several weeks later.

not sure what would be the best scoring if 2 games were played in the same week by those teams.

All good thoughts being sent to the people of Houston and surrounding areas for a safe weekend.

Thant being said.....

Wierd scenario.

IMO, they should be treated like a Monday nite game.....week 2 cant be finalized until that game is played and in the books.

and I know someone is going to say but what if I trade say Andre Johnson next week before the game is played but had him in my week 2 lineup...i would say that when the "week 2" game is played that AJs numbers are applied to the lineup that he was in.

IMO, they should be treated like a Monday nite game.....week 2 cant be finalized until that game is played and in the books.

and I know someone is going to say but what if I trade say Andre Johnson next week before the game is played but had him in my week 2 lineup...i would say that when the "week 2" game is played that AJs numbers are applied to the lineup that he was in.

What if the rescheduled game is after the fantasy playoffs begin?

Or....

Suppose I start AJ in my Week 2 line-up....he gets hurt between now and the time his rescheduled game is played in November. Do I list a back-up player to be inserted in case this happens?

Lots of rules need to be figured out by leagues if indeed this game is going to played weeks from now.

I really wonder how much Goodell et al are really worried about the fantasy implications of moving a game later in the season. Obviously the real game is most important to them (safety issues aside), but the concerns of the billion dollar fantasy industry has to register on the radar somewhere.

That's crazy talk. It will be treated like a bye unless the game is made up before next week's schedule begins.

OK but if you treat it like a bye week are you going to give roster exemptions for owners who have those players on a BYE that was not scheduled. If have to pick up a new defense or kicker because mine is now on an unscheduled bye I shouldn't have to drop a player to do it should I??

I really wonder how much Goodell et al are really worried about the fantasy implications of moving a game later in the season. Obviously the real game is most important to them (safety issues aside), but the concerns of the billion dollar fantasy industry has to register on the radar somewhere.

I am sure that is the last think on their mind.

I think they should play 2nite for 1 play. If Ahman Green stays healthy for that 1 play, Houston wins. If not, Baltimore wins.

-------------

I don't think DTV carried the rescheduled game previously. I think I saw Houston/Balt CBS markets will televise locally. The rest of the country will probably prefer viewing Survivor Version 25220: Beirut.

I think they should play 2nite for 1 play. If Ahman Green stays healthy for that 1 play, Houston wins. If not, Baltimore wins.

-------------

I don't think DTV carried the rescheduled game previously. I think I saw Houston/Balt CBS markets will televise locally. The rest of the country will probably prefer viewing Survivor Version 25220: Beirut.

Sweet! Baltimore 2-0!! :wacko:

I think they should play 2nite for 1 play. If Ahman Green stays healthy for that 1 play,

They didn't because in a contract clause where they can't show games on Friday nights when high-school games are being played or Saturdays when college games are being played. This is Monday night, so this does not apply.

Edited by Big John

Me thinks that if a Cat 3-4 hits Houston directly or within 30-40 miles in either direction, there will be no Monday nite football either. Cities do NOT recover from a hurricane in 2 days for the uninformed. They need to move the game elsewhere.

Me thinks that if a Cat 3-4 hits Houston directly or within 30-40 miles in either direction, there will be no Monday nite football either. Cities do NOT recover from a hurricane in 2 days for the uninformed. They need to move the game elsewhere.

You are exactly right....there will be no game in Houston...no way....no how....

Who is going to be at work, everyone is gone....

No ticket takers....no one at concessions...NO ONE TO SELL BEER....Not even people....No Power...

It took 5 days to get power back to my home after Gustav...what they have Power Gods in Houston to

get power back within 24hrs after a Cat 3 storm....I don't think so...

Like I've stated before....Houston home game in Baltimore on Sunday is the only way to get this game in.

Yep, the forecast here has Ike heading directly over the Reliant stadium area. It will still be high Cat 2 or low Cat 3 when it gets there. If this is the case, there'll be no power lines. I guess as long as the roof is set to open before the power is out, they can play by the moonlight on Monday.

It seems odd that they are not moving it somewhere else. We will have hurricane strength weather until about noon or 1 on Saturday. So cleanup won't even start until later that day.

Edited by coachharry

You are exactly right....there will be no game in Houston...no way....no how....

Who is going to be at work, everyone is gone....

No ticket takers....no one at concessions...NO ONE TO SELL BEER....Not even people....No Power...

It took 5 days to get power back to my home after Gustav...what they have Power Gods in Houston to

get power back within 24hrs after a Cat 3 storm....I don't think so...

Like I've stated before....Houston home game in Baltimore on Sunday is the only way to get this game in.

I agree 100%, but it is Reliant Stadium. :wacko:

Just got off the phone with DirecTV. If they do play the game, it will not be ran as a Sunday Ticket game. If you are not in the Houston or Baltimore market, you will not be able to see the game. :wacko:

Yep, the forecast here has Ike heading directly over the Reliant stadium area. It will still be high Cat 2 or low Cat 3 when it gets there. If this is the case, there'll be no power lines. I guess as long as the roof is set to open before the power is out, they can play by the moonlight on Monday.

It seems odd that they are not moving it somewhere else. We will have hurricane strength weather until about noon or 1 on Saturday. So cleanup won't even start until later that day.

That's not good. Within the eye wall is not a good place to be. :wacko: Stay safe down there.