[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Which Was The Better Catch?

Easy n Dirty

60 members have voted

1. 1. Which was the better catch?

• Holmes
    • Tyree

Having a debate with a friend at work as to which was the better catch - Holmes' TD catch at the end of yesterday's game, or David Tyree's catch in last year's Super Bowl. Admittedly a little bit of a silly argument because you end up arguing in part over what "better" means in this context - but using your own subjective definition of what perhaps makes one catch better than the next, which do you think was the better ctach - Holmes' or Tyree's?

Edited by Easy n Dirty

Happening in the endzone almost pushes Holmes past Tyree, but both were on superbowl winning drives -- and while Holmes' catch was a thing of beauty, Tyree's was nearly a physical impossibility magnified by Eli's dramatic escape that led to it. Tyree gets my vote as better.

Still, the most beautiful was Swann's catch vs Dallas ... :-)

My intitial reaction was to say Tyree - no contest. But watching that catch again, I'm thinking it's close. He actually did get 2 hands on the ball before utilizing his helmet, and didn't have to worry about his feet. When I say Santonio's catch, I didn't celebrate because I figured there was no way he could have caught that ball in bounds. The incredible footwork in the endzone at that point in a Superbowl is damn impressive. But my vote still goes to Tyree.

Well granted I may be bias, but I thought about it in these terms which catch would I want to be mine. Tyree's catch was huge no doubt, you may be splitting hairs, but I personally if given the choice would have the Holmes catch to be mine.

Bigger Moment, incredible throw granted, but incredible snag too, just completely the childhood dream barring the extra 40 secs on the clock. I would not want it any other way in my vision for me.

Edit was I am way to hung over to be thinking!

Edited by Dont Rookie Me........

Well granted I may be bias, but I thought about it in these terms which catch would I want to be mine. Tyree's catch was huge no doubt, you may be splitting hairs, but I personally if given the choice would have the Holmes catch to be mine.

Bigger Moment, incredible throw granted, but incredible snag too, just completely the childhood dream barring the extra 40 secs on the clock. I would not want it any other way in my vision for me.

Edit was I am way to hung over to be thinking!

Tyree was/is a nobody besides for that catch. Holmes is a stud WR anyway. Also, Tyree's catch helped end a perfect season. I'll take Tyree's catch.

FYI: I am a Giants fan so take that into account.

I watched Cris Carter play football. He's made the Holmes catch about every other game it seems. Tyree is more unique. Lynn Swann had a great one when he kept the ball in the air until he finally caught it.

Troy Williamson is the only other NFL player that attempts to catch footballs with his head. It doesn't work for him though.

holmes' was a great catch, a play-of-the-week type catch. the manning to tyree play was easily one of the top five football plays I've ever seen.

If you're talking about the whole play, not just the catch, than it is indeed no contest. Manning avoiding the sack to get the ball to Tyree with that catch is indeed one of the most amazing plays that will ever be.

Whereas Holmes' catch was a great play, so many things made the Tyree catch better... They were playing against an unbeaten opponent, Eli escaped a certain sack to heave the pass, pinning the ball on his helmet was memorable, etc. Plus the game is all but over if Tyree doesn't make that catch, whereas the Steelers would have had another crack at a TD and a FG to tie worst case. Not nearly as dramatic IMO.

I don't think you compare the two whatsoever. Tyree's catch was such a desperation grab within the context of the game. Holmes had missed an equally impressive opportunity at a grab the play before. Both are masterpieces that will be continually revisited for eternity and no sense comparing the two.