[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

B Jacobs' helmet

T-Scorp

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like it or not, this has been the NFLs policy for as long as I can remember. My grandfather was a Chicago Park District (they run Soldier Field) employee for over 35 years. When I was a kid he got an NFL ball that missed the net during a PAT in a preseason Bears game and he STILL had to smuggle it out.

Edited by Pope Flick

Like it or not, this has been the NFLs policy for as long as I can remember. My grandfather was a Chicago Park District (they run Soldier Field) employee for over 35 years. When I was a kid he got an NFL ball that missed the net in a preseason Bears game and he STILL had to smuggle it out.

In STL now, if the ball goes into the stands or misses the net as part of game play, you get to keep it. If it is during warm-ups before the game or something, they make you give it back.

Like it or not, this has been the NFLs policy for as long as I can remember. My grandfather was a Chicago Park District (they run Soldier Field) employee for over 35 years. When I was a kid he got an NFL ball that missed the net during a PAT in a preseason Bears game and he STILL had to smuggle it out.

This isn't the same as a player deliberately tossing it into the stands, though. Are there rules on the back of the ticket like there are in baseball?

This isn't the same as a player deliberately tossing it into the stands, though. Are there rules on the back of the ticket like there are in baseball?

I'll go look . . .

So when players chuck a football into the 15th row, security has a right to come and yank it from the patron? Why is this different because it is 1) a helmet and 2) an "accident"?

That's an interesting question.

I surmise that the ball is the NFL's property. I'm not aware of any law that says that the ownership of the ball changes once it leaves the playing field. Now maybe the NFL has some type of policy under which is does not pursue the recovery of a ball that reaches the stands? If so, I believe that one can argue that the NFL would be voluntarily relinquishing its property right.

I'm really not sure of the authority that a stadium security guard has to claim ownership of or recover the ball. At a minimum, it would be ill advised for the security guard to forcibly take possession of the ball. I'm pretty confident that the stadium could eject the fan who failed to relinquish possession of the ball.

Edited by Furd

There's a ton of fine print on the back of the ticket, but about all that applies here is that "the ticketholder assumes all risk of lost or stolen property and personal injury resultant of the action of the game on the field or fans in the stands." And that "ticketholder may be removed from the building and season tickets revoked for not obeying the instructions of uniformed security officers."

Whether right or wrong, clearly the security personnel were telling that guy to give it back.

There's a ton of fine print on the back of the ticket, but about all that applies here is that "the ticketholder assumes all risk of lost or stolen property and personal injury resultant of the action of the game on the field or fans in the stands." And that "ticketholder may be removed from the building and season tickets revoked for not obeying the instructions of uniformed security officers."

Whether right or wrong, clearly the security personnel were telling that guy to give it back.

Oh, and also on the back of the ticket - I can save you $10 on tires or auto service at Dobb's Tire and Auto.

Just because you are allowed to bring baseballs home with you (from a baseball game) doesn't mean you have the right to do so. Like someone else said, a lot of this boils down to what is written on the back of your ticket stub. If they reserve the right to retrieve any balls, helmets, or whatever... then that pretty much defines what the fan(s) are entitled to, in terms of souvenirs.

I actually wondered, when I saw the fan in a tug-of-war with the attendant, whether there might be some sort of injury claim coming from this, and the fan wanted to hold on to the helmet as evidence (I didn't see what actually happened, and didn't know if someone had been struck by the helmet).

By the way, Jacobs is a complete dumba$$ for letting his helmet get into the stands in the first place.

It used to be they would ask for the football back if it went in the stands. I remember incidents involving fans not wanting to give them back. But they've changed that policy. Probably 10 years ago at least. If a football goes in the stands in the NFL, you get to keep it. Players take off wristbands, gloves, and other apparel as they leave the field, throwing it into the stands. All of which is kept by the recipient. I'd have felt the same if I was sitting there enjoying my nachos, and all of a sudden a helmet lands in the seat next to me. I would have given it back. But I would have protested just like the fan did, hoping for some cool stuff in return.

It used to be they would ask for the football back if it went in the stands. I remember incidents involving fans not wanting to give them back. But they've changed that policy. Probably 10 years ago at least. If a football goes in the stands in the NFL, you get to keep it. Players take off wristbands, gloves, and other apparel as they leave the field, throwing it into the stands. All of which is kept by the recipient. I'd have felt the same if I was sitting there enjoying my nachos, and all of a sudden a helmet lands in the seat next to me. I would have given it back. But I would have protested just like the fan did, hoping for some cool stuff in return.

As I mentioned earlier, though, at least in STL if the ball goes in the crowd during warm-ups, they take it back. Probably because those balls belong to the Rams (cheap bastages) and the game balls belong to the NFL (just bastages).

I agree the fan should get something. Maybe the security was so serious about getting the helmet back because it was possible that Jacobs was going to go back into the game and they didn't have another just sitting there waiting for him? I mean, if Jacobs was ejected and you knew he didn't need the helmet anymore, I'd feel stronger about letting the fan keep it. It was still the 2nd quarter if I remember correctly so they might have been operating under the idea that Jacobs might go in for a play soon. :wacko:

The helmet was probably cost the Giants about $200 or so since they buy them in bulk though with air bladders and such it could be higher.

The only item that people are allowed to keep in football or baseball is the ball. If a baseball player somehow accidentally flung his glove into the stands, I guarantee that the glove goes back to the player. It is a personalized piece of equipment for an individual player, not a generic towel or ball.

I would agree, some swag is only fitting to be given in the situation if only for PR reasons. And throwing a helmet could cause injury much like a broken bat would. The guy would not surrender the helmet but he had to know he could not keep it. I swear if a player handed his kid up to his mother in the stands some of you guys would try to grab the kid. It isn't a treasure hunt, it is a ball game.

I'm pretty sure I've seen fans keep baseball bats on the odd occasion that a player let it slip into the 3rd row. Those clips usually make SportsCenter.

most of the time the batboy goes and gets another bat to give to the fan so the player gets his "gamer" bat back.

Guess I'm different than most, if somethings not mine and especially if they ask for it back I wouldn't keep it. Hopefully I don't drop something I own around you guys :tup:

Haven't you heard, being a fan at a sporting event means you can say/do anything you want - you paid so you're "entitled" :wacko:

I swear if a player handed his kid up to his mother in the stands some of you guys would try to grab the kid. It isn't a treasure hunt, it is a ball game.

Well said DMD.

PS since no one has addressed this and I'm wondering: except for possible resale value, why the flip would a fan want a Jacobs' helmet anyway? We aren't exactly talking Peyton Manning here. :tup:

I suspect each player has just a single helmet that has been customized specifically for that player. Not only is the helmet required for player safety but it also a uniform requirement when inside the lines. Its not like the player can go over to the equipment locker and get another helmet or anything. The fan should have returned the helmet.

That doesn't change the fact that Jacobs was an ass for throwing it into the stands ... he should be fined.

They're not showing it in the media clips running on today's news, but last night they showed a security guard in yellow come up from the left and yank it from the fans hands.

Jacobs was an idiot for throwing it, regardless of where he intended to throw it. He personally should have signed the helmet and sought the fan out after the game to give it to him.

At first, it was the older guy on the right who had the helmet. When the security guy put his hand on the face mask, the old guy grabbed the guard's thumb and bent it backwards. At that point, I think the guy was lucky HE wasn't arrested. Apparently he later gave it to the younger guy on his right, and that is what most of the replays show.

On the second attempt, secutity had enough of this nonsense and ripped it away. When security tells you to do something, you do it. You can whine later. Pushing for a physical confrontation is never a good idea.

Jacobs has always been a moran. The Giants should send the fans a helmet. Jacobs should have been ejected. If I were the security guard who got my thumb bent backwards.... I might have not have reacted as passivley as that guy did. I give the security people credit, certainly not the fans involved.

That's an interesting question.

I surmise that the ball is the NFL's property. I'm not aware of any law that says that the ownership of the ball changes once it leaves the playing field. Now maybe the NFL has some type of policy under which is does not pursue the recovery of a ball that reaches the stands? If so, I believe that one can argue that the NFL would be voluntarily relinquishing its property right.

I'm really not sure of the authority that a stadium security guard has to claim ownership of or recover the ball. At a minimum, it would be ill advised for the security guard to forcibly take possession of the ball. I'm pretty confident that the stadium could eject the fan who failed to relinquish possession of the ball.

I assume you're a lawyer? If I that ever happens to me I'm gonna catch that helmet with my forehead. Then you can be my Jackie Childs and we'll sue that stupid bastard for everything he's got. :wacko:

I assume you're a lawyer? If I that ever happens to me I'm gonna catch that helmet with my forehead. Then you can be my Jackie Childs and we'll sue that stupid bastard for everything he's got. :wacko:

Yeah that's going to be a problem. It's gonna be a problem for them. This a clear violation of your rights as a consumer. It's an infringement on your constitutional rights. It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous.

I swear if a player handed his kid up to his mother in the stands some of you guys would try to grab the kid. It isn't a treasure hunt, it is a ball game.

:wacko:

I might have not have reacted as passivley as that guy did. I give the security people credit, certainly not the fans involved.

You wouldn't be in security very long, and you'd more than likely would have costed the team a lot of money in a lawsuit.

The helmet should have been returned, but not by force. Security needs to realize a monster just threw a projectile that could have seriously injured someone into the stands. Maybe not be as confrontational as they were.