[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

All this 49'rs will beat the Lions this week....

tazinib1

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, this team went down 20+ to the Cowboys and Vikings. Teams the Niners are both better than. You've got to get past Alex Smith blah blah blah. To think that the Niners don't even have a shot is insane.

No way the Niners are better than the Cowboys. Vikings, yes. And I am with you that the Niners have a real good chance at upsetting. BUT, the Cowboys shoulda beaten the Lions, easily. The only difference between the Lion and Niner game was 2 pick 6's. Give those to SF and they beat Dallas. To think that the Lions expected to get two free TDs from Dallas is what is insane ... yet it happened. Therefore, insanity is the only reason why Detroit beat Dallas. :wacko:

I'm for sure pulling for the Lions. Was at the Monday night game vs. Bears and I've kind of taken to rooting for them with my Colts struggling.

That said, I don't like this game at all for them. 49ers just went into Tampa and won 48-3. That's not just a win, but an ass-whoopin.... on the road no less.

The fan interest in the team this year is electric - the Monday night game was off the hook. I just think they may be due for a little bit of a let down.

I'll put it this way - even if the line were a "pick em", I wouldn't bet this game.

I'm for sure pulling for the Lions. Was at the Monday night game vs. Bears and I've kind of taken to rooting for them with my Colts struggling.

That said, I don't like this game at all for them. 49ers just went into Tampa and won 48-3. That's not just a win, but an ass-whoopin.... on the road no less.

The fan interest in the team this year is electric - the Monday night game was off the hook. I just think they may be due for a little bit of a let down.

I'll put it this way - even if the line were a "pick em", I wouldn't bet this game.

SF was home vs TB but beat Cincy and Philly on the road

SF is a good solid squad obviously, look at their results, but I think the main reason most are picking SF is because they believe Detroit is due for a letdown on a short week after a crazy emotional win against a division rival this past Monday night. Well the Lions should use that as some motivation I think. I have seen that said many times this week.

To me it seems people want to find reasons for the Lions to letdown and lose. Last week some people thought a young team would come out flat against a vet team like the Bears. Too much emotion for a young team to handle on Monday night. They over came that.

Now of course they are going to lose a handful of games, maybe 5, but I'm not sure this is the week.

Yes SF has come east and won at Cincy and at Philly already, but this challenge is tougher IMO. Aside from Detroit being the best team of the 3, that is a real tough 4 week stretch for SF.

Fly to Cincy. Stay east all week and play in Philly. Fly back across the country to play at home against TB. Fly back accross the country to play at Detroit. NOT EASY.

Meanwhile, yes short emotional week, but Detroit is home in their building where they have won 2 very impressive games already.

Plus I think Detroit matches up well with SF. You have to throw to beat them. Detroit can obviously throw.

I'm sure Gore will have a solid game, but I am not sure SF has the overall firepower to stay with the Lions in their building on that fast turf.

So I say yes tough game, but I am a bit surprised at how many people are picking SF to fly across the country and win at Detroit.

I go 27-17/24-17/27-20 Detroit. Something in that range.

Edited by giantsfan

I think it will be a good game and the Lions are at home.

The last guy to give the Niners 0% chance of winning was the Eagles announcer who said he would ride a bike from Philly to SF if the Eagles lost.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_...p;bcmt=15746850

Technically he said he would take a bike from Philly to San Fran. I suppose if he bought a bike in Philly, loaded on a plane, flew out, and retrieved the bike from baggage he would have "taken" the bike there.

Intangibles working against the Lions:

1. Short week of preparation

2. Emotional letdown after divisional game against rival Bills

3. Notorious for slow starts that keep other teams in games.

4. Might be playing against best defense they have faced to date which could hamper 2nd-half heroics

Intangibles working against 49ers:

1. Road game in what could be a loud dome

2. :wacko:

The niners are playing smart, disciplined football. They are brimming with confidence, their QB has picked up harbaugh's system and seems to have earned his vote of confidence...the running game is working....they are stout against the run, which will force Stafford into alot of obvious passing downs. A special teams play will win this game...and I think that favors the 49ers.

The Lions definitely have the better talent on the offensive side of the ball, but on paper, this looks like one of those "gotcha" games. I'll stick with my original prediction of an upset: 49ers 23, Lions 19

I am a bit surprised at how many people are picking SF to fly across the country and win at Detroit.

Its not like they are going all the way to the east coast. SF to DET is not that much different than the Giants travelling to Dallas, or Baltimore going to Denver, etc.

I think you are over-valuing the dreaded "west-to-east" stigma in this case.

Its not like they are going all the way to the east coast. SF to DET is not that much different than the Giants travelling to Dallas, or Baltimore going to Denver, etc.

I think you are over-valuing the dreaded "west-to-east" stigma in this case.

And I think you are under selling it in the sense that it is not easy to do 3 times in 4 weeks (with a game in SF in between), especially against a good team like Detroit.

Here is what I know:

SF is on pacific time and Detroit is on eastern time. That in itself makes it tough, not the hours of flight,

In addition, this is another trip/game in the eastern time zone after 2 already in the past 3 weeks, with a game in SF in the middle.

Lastly, as I mentioned above, this Detroit letdown thing after an emtional win Monday night to me is being oversold.

100% SF CAN WIN THIS GAME, so my point isn't SF has no shot, my simple point is I am very surprised at how many people think SF goes to Detroit and wins this game. That is my point. Not that they can't win. SF is a good team, and this will be a good game. I just think SF will have a tough time in that dome on that fast turf beating the Lions.

Been wrong before though, so anything is possible of course.

Edited by giantsfan

100% SF CAN WIN THIS GAME, so my point isn't SF has no shot, my simple point is I am very surprised at how many people think SF goes to Detroit and wins this game. That is my point. Not that they can't win. SF is a good team, and this will be a good game. I just think SF will have a tough time in that dome on that fast turf beating the Lions.

Been wrong before though, so anything is possible of course.

:wacko: I think I am on the only one here who thinks that. And I haven't seen more than 1 in 10 nationally that believe it, either.

I agree, it will be tough for the 49ers to do it. It's tough to predict special teams play, but I have a strange inkling this game will come down to a punt/kick return, or a defensive score. To me, this has all the makings of one of those "gotcha" games for Detroit. Less so for the 49ers. I obviously won't be shocked if the Lions win...they are supposed to. But knowing there are a small handful of upsets every week in the NFL, IMO this one stands out as having a reasonable chance at happening.

:wacko: I think I am on the only one here who thinks that. And I haven't seen more than 1 in 10 nationally that believe it, either.

I agree, it will be tough for the 49ers to do it. It's tough to predict special teams play, but I have a strange inkling this game will come down to a punt/kick return, or a defensive score. To me, this has all the makings of one of those "gotcha" games for Detroit. Less so for the 49ers. I obviously won't be shocked if the Lions win...they are supposed to. But knowing there are a small handful of upsets every week in the NFL, IMO this one stands out as having a reasonable chance at happening.

I hear you on the 2nd part.

I will also add though, just how good is SF's pass D?

The two real QB's they faced, Romo and Vick, had stat lines of 345 and 2 TD's for Romo (with missing some drives). And Vick had 418 and 2 TD's (with another 75 running). Point is I am also not 100% sold on that SF D.

Yeah they looked good against Seattle, Cincy, and TB (who was coming from FLA to Cali off a Monday night game). But against Dallas and Philly they looked bad IMO.

So to me that is more why I like Detroit by 7 or so then SF flying from Cali to Detroit. The travel is just another factor IMO. I am not 100% sold on SF yet, especially in Detroit on that fast turf.

We shall see in 26 hours though...:tup:.

No way the Niners are better than the Cowboys. Vikings, yes. And I am with you that the Niners have a real good chance at upsetting. BUT, the Cowboys shoulda beaten the Lions, easily. The only difference between the Lion and Niner game was 2 pick 6's. Give those to SF and they beat Dallas. To think that the Lions expected to get two free TDs from Dallas is what is insane ... yet it happened. Therefore, insanity is the only reason why Detroit beat Dallas. :wacko:

Just like the Niners should have not blown the coverage allowing Jessie Freaking Holley to run the ball to the one? I firmly believe the Niners are better than the Cowboys. Not talent wise, but as a team, and a coaching staff. I'm completely unimpressed with the decisions that Tony Romo makes, and the play calling that puts Romo into those decisions.

I would think the Lions should win this game, but not by more than 6. I think the huge homefield advantage is what puts them over. With that said, what I've seen with Harbaughs team, I won't say they have no chance. If the Niner D gets an early turnover, and Gore goes for 5 per carry the niners could frustrate them. The niners could play ball control, let Stafford pass for tons of yardage and still steal this game. I see Megatron having a good game unless he goes over the middle and Willis saws him in half.

Lions win 24-20. Fairley is another week healthier and should help plug up the middle to slow the run game down. I think Stafford will hook up with Burleson and Young more this game since Sheffler is down. I just don't see the 49er offense doing a whole lot. Should be a good game though. Go Lions!

The two upsets I like this week are Giants over the Bills and 49ers over Detroit. I'll take the Giants, but I hate taking west coast teams traveling east, so I'll still take the Lions, but an upset would not surprise me either.

I don't think the giants would be considered an upset since there favored by 3.

The last guy to give the Niners 0% chance of winning was the Eagles announcer who said he would ride a bike from Philly to SF if the Eagles lost.

Hopefully he doesn't have to do it IMMEDIATELY and can put it off until May or so.

Mmy initial thought was "bah, SF is playing way over their head and pulling wins out of their ass, no way do they beat Detroit!"; then I looked at the #s...

If I were Det, I'd try to stuff the run and make the SF passing game beat you. If I were SF, I'd try to shut down the passing game and make the running game beat you. SF's pass D (75.4 opp pass rating) is WAY better than Det's run D (115 ypg/4.8 ypc). And SF's run D is terrific (76 ypg/3.6 ypc).

It's a matter of Det shutting down SF's running game, as that's more important to the 9ers than it is to Detroit - SF is 32nd in pass attempts; I think the focus on the run game is what is helping Smith be a better QB. Det's O is a little more skewed towards the pass than the run; both teams are PHENOMENAL so far at not turning the ball over (4 TOs each).

Normally you'd think "good defense trumps good offense" but I'm not so sure about that these days - at least not in the NFL this season. SF has the better D; in my mind, Det has a slightly better O, though it's somewhat apples-to-oranges because SF is ground-focused where Det prefers to attack through the air. SF seems to be better on special teams, as well. They might be similar to the Falcons of the past few years, where they aren't great at any particular thing, but are good at everything and don't beat themselves with stupid mistakes. That's a formula for winning a lot of games in the NFL.

I think SF might win this one. I'd be surprised if it's a blowout either way.

Intangibles working against the Lions:

1. Short week of preparation

2. Emotional letdown after divisional game against rival Bills

3. Notorious for slow starts that keep other teams in games.

4. Might be playing against best defense they have faced to date which could hamper 2nd-half heroics

Intangibles working against 49ers:

1. Road game in what could be a loud dome

2. :wacko:

The niners are playing smart, disciplined football. They are brimming with confidence, their QB has picked up harbaugh's system and seems to have earned his vote of confidence...the running game is working....they are stout against the run, which will force Stafford into alot of obvious passing downs. A special teams play will win this game...and I think that favors the 49ers.

The Lions definitely have the better talent on the offensive side of the ball, but on paper, this looks like one of those "gotcha" games. I'll stick with my original prediction of an upset: 49ers 23, Lions 19

Bills?