[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Manning to Denver?!?!

ridinthewake

LOL, before the Manning signing, Vegas has Denver at 75 to 1 Odds to win the Super bowl. Now they've moved up to 7 to 1 odds. Wow, dramatic transition to a team.

meanwhile, the odds on bronco billy being the most miserable, negative, depressed huddler went from 20-to-1 all the way 3-to-5, to where he is the odds on favorite even over reigning champ and perennial shoe-in, BeeR.

meanwhile, the odds on bronco billy being the most miserable, negative, depressed huddler went from 20-to-1 all the way 3-to-5, to where he is the odds on favorite even over reigning champ and perennial shoe-in, BeeR.

Nah - at least McDaniels isn't still here, so there's always a silver lining. If I'm wrong, DEN is winning a SB. If I'm right, I get to crow about it while I'm grousing.

Plus, I've got the wife kicking ass & taking names.

Edited by Bronco Billy

They paid literally top dollar for a guy who was quite possibly the greatest player in NFL history, but now is going to be 36 yrs old, is undeniably damaged goods, has literally zero mobility, and will play behind an O-line that is unquestionably very shaky at pass blocking. DEN will have to trade away Tebow - maybe a good thing and maybe not, noone knows right now - for probably a 3rd rounder at best and will have to acquire a vet QB who has no designs on starting as well as use a high draft pick to get Manning's heir apparent on board, who they will have to start from scratch with and who will get virtually no practical work in practice, with Manning's track record of taking all the snaps in practice.

In the meantime, there are still gaping holes at OC, RB, both DTs, DE, SLB, MLB, SS, and CB as well as quality depth almost across the board, and that much less cap space as well as the high pick for a QB gone in order to fill the spots, as well as many quality FAs off the board already this year since Manning dragged his feet for so long.

And they've got possibly 2 years - if they can keep him healthy and he does in fact have the arm strength he used to have, both of which are questionable - and at most 3 years, to win a SB or all of this spent money for Manning is completely useless,

Now, how do you think this will turn out?

I'm not nearly as pessimistic as you, but then it also isn't my team. I just think you need to relax and wait and see instead of grousing about it endlessly. But its a free world and I'm not going to tell you to quit. It just gets old, every post since the announcement has been doom and gloom. No amount of reasoning (even a one year $18 mill contract with no long term cap issues) helps. That is why I questioned whether its more about losing Tebow than how it really affects the Broncos. Which you didn't take to well either.

At this point I'm hoping he wins a SB for the Broncos (even though I hate them and their horse face former QB now VP), just to watch you eat some crow.

At least you're not a Cleveland sports fan, we're going on nearly 50 years without a major sports championship. I'd love to hear we're signing Manning if it gave us a realistic shot at a SB or two (which I think it does for DEN, although SF was a better fit for immetiate success IMHO).

I'm not nearly as pessimistic as you, but then it also isn't my team. I just think you need to relax and wait and see instead of grousing about it endlessly. But its a free world and I'm not going to tell you to quit. It just gets old, every post since the announcement has been doom and gloom. No amount of reasoning (even a one year $18 mill contract with no long term cap issues) helps.

I'm a realist. And if I see a decision that appears, IMO, to be a really poor decision affecting a team I care about, I comment on it and get involved in discussions regarding it. It happened when DEN dragged out Shanahan's tenure and the team got progressively worse, and then again when they hired McDaniels, and I actually admitted I was wrong here when DEN started 6-0 under him.

Now I'm listening to the most popular am radio show in Denver and hearing every single caller here saying how ecstatic they are that Manning is here, and how at least 60% of the people calling think DEN is a lock to win at least one SB, starting this coming season, and I don't hear one word about Manning's injury, surgeries, prolonged recovery, and questions about how close he can get to being what he used to be; much less the obvious weaknesses on the current team, and it's maddening. Some people are just bubbling over and don't see any downside on this whole thing - not one bit.

I'm seeing a team that simply cannot put enough pieces in place, given their new cap limitations, where we are in FA, and what Manning is costing in both money and other considerations like having to get other QBs on the roster, to be able to compete and win against teams like HOU, NE, PIT, and BAL. And when they can't win a SB and Manning goes about his way in 3 years at most, where this team will then be.

I see a bad trade off. I could be wrong - I've sure been wrong before, but it just looks really clear to me that this doesn't accomplish short term goals and damages the team long term. So yeah, I say that here because I'm a passionate DEN fan and this is a FF MB.

That is why I questioned whether its more about losing Tebow than how it really affects the Broncos. Which you didn't take to well either.

I didn't take that well because while I have stated time and time again that not only do I have no idea whether Tebow will be a decent NFL QB over time, but that I really don't give a #### whether he stays in DEN or not, that you continue to paint me as an unabashed and completely biased Tebow lover. It's that you either refuse to read responses before commenting or that you aren't capable of comprehending what you read, and choose to comment in direct contrast to what I've posted and a psoition that I've made abundantly clear that gets really, really old after a while. If you were teasing me, that's different - I'm in on that. But you're serious about it, you're clueless about it, and you keep coming back on it. It's like the yapping chihuahua on the other side of the fence that you can't do anything about.

Edited by Bronco Billy

I'm a realist. And if I see a decision that appears, IMO, to be a really poor decision affecting a team I care about, I comment on it and get involved in discussions regarding it. It happened when DEN dragged out Shanahan's tenure and the team got progressively worse, and then again when they hired McDaniels, and I actually admitted I was wrong here when DEN started 6-0 under him.

Now I'm listening to the most popular am radio show in Denver and hearing every single caller here saying how ecstatic they are that Manning is here, and how at least 60% of the people calling think DEN is a lock to win at least one SB, starting this coming season, and I don't hear one word about Manning's injury, surgeries, prolonged recovery, and questions about how close he can get to being what he used to be; much less the obvious weaknesses on the current team, and it's maddening. Some people are just bubbling over and don't see any downside on this whole thing - not one bit.

I'm seeing a team that simply cannot put enough pieces in place, given their new cap limitations, where we are in FA, and what Manning is costing in both money and other considerations like having to get other QBs on the roster, to be able to compete and win against teams like HOU, NE, PIT, and BAL. And when they can't win a SB and Manning goes about his way in 3 years at most, where this team will then be.

I see a bad trade off. I could be wrong - I've sure been wrong before, but it just looks really clear to me that this doesn't accomplish short term goals and damages the team long term. So yeah, I say that here because I'm a passionate DEN fan and this is a FF MB.

I didn't take that well because while I have stated time and time again that not only do I have no idea whether Tebow will be a decent NFL QB over time, but that I really don't give a #### whether he stays in DEN or not, that you continue to paint me as an unabashed and completely biased Tebow lover. It's that you either refuse to read responses before commenting or that you aren't capable of comprehending what you read, and choose to comment in direct contrast to what I've posted and a psoition that I've made abundantly clear that gets really, really old after a while. If you were teasing me, that's different - I'm in on that. But you're serious about it, you're clueless about it, and you keep coming back on it. It's like the yapping chihuahua on the other side of the fence that you can't do anything about.

Listening to sports talk radio, well that may be the first problem. I never have (can't really do it at work, too busy with other things most of the time) and consider most of those shows to be more entertainment than reasonable discussion. Too many callers (and hosts) who are uniformed, unrealistic or just confrontational to create ratings.

I just think you're being more than realistic, but extremely pessimistic. I don't see any of the other DEN fans here speaking in terms of "train wreck" "we're doomed" or other such negative things.

As for the Tebow thing, when you had that sigline along with the avatar (and lots of defense of him) it was hard to take your comments at face value. Sorry if I rubbed you the wrong way, I'll do my best to let it drop.

I really do wish Peyton (and the Broncos much as it pains me) good luck with this signing. I'd like to see him succeed in part because so many expect him to fail. I've always liked the guy and thought he was classy.

Edited by stevegrab

BB "the pessimist"... I think that the Broncos have an above average pass blocking line, they couldn't help it that Tebow held onto the ball... the line gave up 8 sacks over the first five games Orton started and 4 of those came in the first game. Tebow was sacked 13-14 times in his first two games as a starter.

Mannings ability to read a defense and call plays at the line is invaluable to any offense, his line will be much better than the one he had in Indy.

Hey everybody relax...It's the AFC WEST remember? Like the town bicycle everyone gets a ride. All this doom and gloom is kinda pointless right? Step 1 is to get to the playoffs as Division champs and that is open to anybody. All I hear is that the AFC WEST is terrible and whatnot. I think getting a HOF(?)QB in this division is pretty much a golden ticket to the playoffs then, right? Denver did what they thought would put them in the best position to win in a weak division. From hearing every talking head on ESPN and talk radio self made gurus the Broncos are great on defense and just got better on offense. As a fan that's all you can ask. I wish AJ would do something this ballsy. To at least take a shot at winning it all. Just once. Geez.

Hey everybody relax...It's the AFC WEST remember? Like the town bicycle everyone gets a ride. All this doom and gloom is kinda pointless right? Step 1 is to get to the playoffs as Division champs and that is open to anybody. All I hear is that the AFC WEST is terrible and whatnot. I think getting a HOF(?)QB in this division is pretty much a golden ticket to the playoffs then, right? Denver did what they thought would put them in the best position to win in a weak division. From hearing every talking head on ESPN and talk radio self made gurus the Broncos are great on defense and just got better on offense. As a fan that's all you can ask. I wish AJ would do something this ballsy. To at least take a shot at winning it all. Just once. Geez.

It would have been very ballsy had he pursued Manning, instead he sits in his office and releases sound byte snipes at LT.

Edited by electricrelish

It would have been very ballsy had he pursued Manning, instead he sits in his office and releases sound byte snipes at LT.

Well not Manning. As I see it we have a QB. I'd like to have nabbed Mario or even Wimbley...Someone who was not a 30 y/o cast off or a background wr or a great special teamer. Someone we could point at and go "whoa San Diego just got serious." Never happens. In fact our best players are other teams MVPs when they leave us.

Well, from what I've seen, a helluva lot more people are expecting a Denver trip to the Superbowl.

Well ok so many was a stretch. But there's been no shortage of people here (even since the Manning signing) who think he will not do well, will be crippled the first time he is hit, or still cannot throw a ball. Let alone during the bidding process as several teams gave him medical exams and watched him throw. I tend to believe if somebody is going to give him $15-20 million for this year they believe he can play at a high level. Nobody that was courting him was just looking to make a splash and fill seats.

Being a Bronco fan, I'm causiously optimistic about this signing. If Denver can win 8 games with a QB that can't throw the ball, then certainly they can win a few more with someone who can. I have no doubts that teams are convinced that Mannings arm strength is back and that he threw will for many teams. So, I'm not worried about his current health. I am a little worried about what happens when he gets hit. I think it's worth the risk.

Frankly spending only 18M for him this year, is far from a major cap restriction. And the signings I've seen recently are positive. The offense will be much better next year. The only other signing I'd like to see is a backup RB and I think the O is set. The issue that continues to be ignored is the D. Denver has an average D at best. They need help at every position up the middle. Maybe they plan to draft only D to solve that issue. I have no idea, but this issue has existed for about 5 years. No MLB, no DT and safeties that can sometimes play the run, but can't help in coverage at all.

We'll see. A super bowl win is rediculous to think about at this point. But a better team that seems to be heading in the right direction is absolutely what I see going on.