[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bilal Powell - will be the starter by week 7?

euphy

I'm really not all that familiar with Powell, which is one reason I passed on him this week on the waiver wire. Relating to the Baldwin thread, keeping him a little longer rather than taking a chance on Powell. My problem, however isn't as much to do with Powell as it is the Jets offense in general. Not saying that it alone is what has held Shonn Green back, but I really don't see it improving enough for a relative unknown to make a viable impact. Especially when he will likely split carries regardless of the situation & throw in the Tebow factor as well, who I think will continue to gain a larger role in the offense.

Actually, by week 7 I think the starter will be Jonathan Grimes. They just picked him off of the Texans practice squad and from what I am hearing, the brass at the Texans were not happy. They really liked this kid but did not have a chance to call him up. The Texans seem to know a few things about RB so I am guessing that he must have potential.

I would rather gamble on him that Powell. Greene will be benched - that is for sure.

Just picked up Grimes today in all of my leagues. I do think he will be the guy there for the second half of the year and going forward in 2013.

Grimes was really good in the preseason and probably someone they were stashing for next year when Tate may no longer going to be around. My biggest concern is that Grimes is only 5-10, 201 Lbs which is no where near as big as Foster (6-1, 228), Tate (5-11, 215). Greene (5-11, 226) but he is about the same size as Powell.

I drafted Greene and wished I hadn't. Got him as my 3rd RB and thought I made out well at the time.

I don't think any RB on the Jets roster is worthy of a spot at the moment. With Greene, Powell, Tebow, and Grimes it just seems to be a mess unfolding right now. Throw in the fact that the run game/scheme isn't that great and you'll be lucky to guess the guy that's going to get the opportunity for yards and TDs each week.

How come Jonathan Grimes isn't in my fantasy league?

Looked for him to pick him up off the waivers but nowhere to be found

We have no idea, ask your commissioner or fantasy league site support.

I'm on CBS and he was there, but still shown as being a Texans. That will probably be updated soon, since he was just signed by the Jets (his player news mentions being signed by Jets).

Seems like everyone's a bit higher on Grimes than Powell - why?

Seems like they're the same build. Grimes had a strong preseason and a good career at William and Mary. But Grimes won't be bringing the Texans line or scheme with him.

Powell was drafted by the jets in the fourth round, and looked pretty good against a decent run D in MIA.

I haven't seen much of either player and don't have a strong opinion either way - just wondering why people seem to be viewing Grimes as the back up to have now. Powell hasn't really been given a shot yet.

Seems like everyone's a bit higher on Grimes than Powell - why?

Seems like they're the same build. Grimes had a strong preseason and a good career at William and Mary. But Grimes won't be bringing the Texans line or scheme with him.

Powell was drafted by the jets in the fourth round, and looked pretty good against a decent run D in MIA.

I haven't seen much of either player and don't have a strong opinion either way - just wondering why people seem to be viewing Grimes as the back up to have now. Powell hasn't really been given a shot yet.

Agreed. It's going to take a couple weeks for Grimes to get up to speed and hopefully that will give Powell enough time to cement his spot atop the depth chart. Greene is exactly what we thought he was (I'm a Hawkeye as well but c'mon man)

Grimes has that one quality that all fantasy leaguers adore - he has not yet proven that he sucks. Powell looks better than Greene but that doesn't say much. Powell has been no better really even in his minimal play during this season. Grimes may be absolutely no better - but we do not know that for sure and all mid-season surprises start this way. Why not take a shot? If you are wrong you just dump him eventually. I would not go grabbing Grimes if you have a roster of 14 but deeper leagues, why not? Whoever he replaces is probably a slug for you anyway.

Grimes has that one quality that all fantasy leaguers adore - he has not yet proven that he sucks. Powell looks better than Greene but that doesn't say much. Powell has been no better really even in his minimal play during this season. Grimes may be absolutely no better - but we do not know that for sure and all mid-season surprises start this way. Why not take a shot? If you are wrong you just dump him eventually. I would not go grabbing Grimes if you have a roster of 14 but deeper leagues, why not? Whoever he replaces is probably a slug for you anyway.

:) It's funny, because it is true. The question for some may be, if they're going to take a flyer on one, which should it be? I still think Powell gets a shot before Grimes, and neither probably takes over for a couple of weeks (if that ever happens). So I'd go with Powell.

For those who already have Powell, stash him and wait. No reason to drop him for Grimes. If you don't have either, toss a coin if you like, but I'd still go with Powell.

Well, here's food for thought on why Powell might be more valuable. Didn't he earn the 3rd down, passing back role? And if he supplants Greene or eats into his early down work, then doesn't it stand to reason that he becomes a 16-18 touch guy? Considering its the Jets, that might mean he's nothing more than a flex play, but he has been more effective than Greene, so if he catches a couple passes per week and gets 65+ total yards (would that be his floor maybe?) then you could do worse for a bye week filler with upside as an every week flex. The TDs are probably the biggest downside - cant see him likely even cracking 5 scores.

Edited by MTSuper7

I'm admittedly not much of a Powell fan. I don't see him being able to be a between-the-tackles guy with any regularity. He was a one year wonder in a weak college conference. He doesn't have great speed, power, moves, or vision. He runs upright and often struggles to get into the second level. He does catch well out of the backfield.

There are some who fell in love with him last year and have remaining enamored, but I don't see him as being a better option than Greene, who, despite his short comings, at least can take advantage of a seam when it's there and is very willing between the tackles.

As to Grimes, I've picked him up in a couple of leagues now that he's out of the HOU situation and onto a team looking for a RB to step up. I know that HOU's coaching staff absolutely raved about Grimes and rumor is they were not happy when NY raided their PS for him. I also think Kubiak had a lot to do with DEN's rushing success and picking up unheralded guys, which Shanahan is traditionally credited for when DEN was winning in the late 90s. I say that by looking at where Kubiak has acquired his RBs and their success while he has been a HC in HOU as opposed to Shanahan's success with RBs after Kubiak left.

I also know that Grimes, while slightly lighter, had measurables in his combine almost exactly the same as Doug Martin did earlier this year. I also know Grimes played for small William and Mary but was a 4 year workhorse there and was extremely productive. He, like Powell, doesn't have any kind of great break away speed. But unlike Powell, Grimes has good vision and patience and can create some on his own in narrow spaces.

We'll see. I'm certainly more intrigued by Grimes than Powell.

Edited by Bronco Billy

I would not go grabbing Grimes if you have a roster of 14 but deeper leagues, why not? Whoever he replaces is probably a slug for you anyway.

Kevin Smith? :kicksrock:

Just picked up Powell and can't in good conscience keep 2 Jets RBs on my roster that aren't starting for their team.