[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Impatient fans are ruining football

policyvote

Okay, this is a rant that's been bubbling up in my head for quite some time, be patient and hear me out.

With the Internet and FF coming into prominence at about the same time, the demand for information--and the flow of information--are orders of magnitude greater than they used to be. It seems like the mainstream fan used to be a guy who knew the stars of the league, knew the marquee players on his homer team, cheered when said team won and cursed when said team lost. Now, the mainstream fan can rattle off the skill position starters for every team in the league, knows his homer team's roster to the man (plus coaches and assistants) and thinks that winning his local FF league two of the last five years makes him more qualified to run the team than the guys running the team.

A quick example: the hardcore Lions community was very critical of Mariucci this year, ripping his "conservative" playcalling. With Sherm Lewis retiring, many saw the new OC opening as a great opportunity for outside talent that could push the ball upfield. Many hoped for Norm Chow (which was pure fantasy, Chow is probably going to get a marquee college or NFL HC position in the very near future). When Ted Tollner was hired, it was like a bomb went off. Despite the fact that 24 hours earlier, 99% of Lions fans had never heard of this guy, it was immediately decided that not only was he a bumbling idiot, but this was the last straw for Mooch (who, himself, is a bumbling idiot), and it's time for the Fords to fire the entire payroll--as it is comprised, of course, solely of bumbling idiots--and then the NFL should wrest control of the team from the family of bumbling idiots known as the Fords.

What kills me is that most of these guys have never laced up cleats or worn a jock, yet somehow they know that a given assistant--with 30+ years of coaching experience in all sorts of offenses--is an "idiot" beause he didn't light up the league while calling plays for the team with the worst offensive talent in the NFL. It seems like this is the beacon of things to come--fans demand things, fans get what they want, it doesn't pan out IMMEDIATELY and fans dismiss it and want something new and sexy. This is just ridiculous.

Look at Bill Cowher. He's a great football coach, no question. Last year, people were calling for his head, this year he's a genius. You watch, if the Steelers don't go deep into the playoffs next year he'll be a bum again. News Flash, people: NFL COACHES DON'T FORGET HOW TO COACH. Sure, some guys don't have it anymore, or aren't a good fit, or don't work out. But nowadays people are calling for coaches' heads after one or two years! It just doesn't make any sense! You think you can just fire the coach every year you don't win the Super Bowl until you win the Super Bowl?

I just don't get it with a lot of the fans I meet. It's like they honestly think that, given the opportunity, they'd be a better coach than Walsh, a better GM than Wolf, and a better player than Elway. They don't seem to grasp that the reality of the modern NFL is such that only a few teams are actually good and ony a few teams that are actually bad. There are 25 teams that are all about a nuthair apart in terms of total talent on the field, and half the time it's just the bounces and breaks that separate 6-10 from 10-6.

I'm as involved and active and informed of a fan as there is, but I don't harbor any delusions that my mastery of "Franchise Mode" on Madden actually qualifies me as any sort of football professional. There's a reason these men are paid millions of dollars to do what they do . . . they know what they're doing!

Peace

policy

After reading all that I don't see what is different from before other than the cry for information. People have always been that way about football for as long as I can remember. Where do you think the term armchair quarterback came from? :D

Edited by rajncajn

The more I know about football, the more I realize I don't know. I would never pretend to be as knowledgable as the men who coach football for a living. Yet all my FF buddies have an opinion, and alot of it is negative. I think it's human nature. It'll never change.

I hope you feel better after getting this off your chest because, let's face it, that's part of what the Huddle is for.

Edited by Chargerz

What kills me is that most of these guys have never laced up cleats or worn a jock, yet somehow they know that a given assistant--with 30+ years of coaching experience in all sorts of offenses--is an "idiot" beause he didn't light up the league while calling plays for the team with the worst offensive talent in the NFL.  It seems like this is the beacon of things to come--fans demand things, fans get what they want, it doesn't pan out IMMEDIATELY and fans dismiss it and want something new and sexy.  This is just ridiculous. 

I never played the game at that high a level, I never was in a locker room, never was in a coaches meeting, and never had to deal with the personalities of players, other coaches, owners, or whatever. Speaking for a great number of other people around the country, I have watched A HELL OF A LOT OF FOOTBALL in my relatively short lifespan. This ain't brain surgery we're dealing with.

I know a great movie when I see one primarily because I've seen thousands of them. I know what's original, or clever, or what works within the framework of the story. Same thing with music. I know a great album when I hear it. I know a predictable guitar solo or a derivative melody when I hear it too.

Why would you think football is any different? I've invested thousands of hours of my life pouring over data, games on TV, stories in the paper/internet, etc., etc., etc. about aspects of the sport because it interests me.

Let's put it this way:

Do I think that I can come up with an offensive scheme better than Ted Tollner or whatever OC we might be talking about? Or integrate the offensive assistants in coming up with a game plan? Or manage the personalities of players? No way.

Do I know when an illogical offensive scheme is in place, or do I recognize questionable playcalling? Or do I see deficiencies/strengths in players that are exposed/underutilized? And do I have every confidence in my logic and reasoning and eye for something like this? Absolutely.

They don't seem to grasp that the reality of the modern NFL is such that only a few teams are actually good and ony a few teams that are actually bad.  There are 25 teams that are all about a nuthair apart in terms of total talent on the field, and half the time it's just the bounces and breaks that separate 6-10 from 10-6. 

684026[/snapback]

This I agree with 100%. :D

After reading all that I don't see what is different from before other than the cry for information. People have always been that way about football for as long as I can remember. Where do you think the term armchair quarterback came from? :D

684042[/snapback]

It came from guys watching football being played on the field . . . not from guys watching the Internet during the offseason. The rate of hirings and firings is drastically increased from where it was just ten years ago. Rookie QBs used to not see the field until their third year--now if they haven't lit the league up by their third year they're a bust! You can't tell me things haven't changed drastically, and quickly.

Peace

policy

Do I know when an illogical offensive scheme is in place, or do I recognize questionable playcalling? Or do I see deficiencies/strengths in players that are exposed/underutilized? And do I have every confidence in my logic and reasoning and eye for something like this? Absolutely.

684075[/snapback]

Yeah, me too--but there's a critical element of perspective that a lot of fans seem to be missing nowadays. Especially the most rabid homers, who are so obsessed with their football team they forget about what all the rest of the teams in the league are doing. Take each team, and find the message board that hosts their most rabid fans. Disregarding the homer forums of the two teams still playing, I will guarantee you that all of those boards are a firestorm of criticism of the whole organization. My fellow Lions fans are blasting the management for not hiring "offensive genius" and "QB guru" Mike McCarthy--meanwhile, Saints fans are counting down the seconds until bum is finally off the payroll! It just doesn't make any sense, man.

Peace

policy

I agree with policy. It's my understanding that there are rumors in HOU that DCarr may not be "the man". Is that fair? Idunno, but what kind of grooming did he get? I recall SMcNair in HOU. He was kept on the sidelines for so long when he came into the league. Look what that patience did for his career and for TEN!

At the same time, with the amount of stadiums the fans have paid for and built in the last 10 yrs, and the increases in seat prices, and with new fees (seat licensing?!) in the past 10 yrs...

Are the fans not justified in demanding something back?

I think the owners deserve the :D here, not the fans. They are the ones drunk with delusions of immediate success, bowing the media and fan pressure, firing and hiring willy nilly to try and cheat the process of building a solid franchise.

Buddy Ryan was a great defensive coordinator ... does that make him a good head coach?

Steve Spurrier was the charismatic coach of a college football powerhouse ... does that make him an NFL coach?

George Clooney played a doctor on TV ... anybody want him in charge when they arrive at the ER in the midst of a heart attack?

Yes, the fans clamor for win now ... yep ... stadiums still packed, TV deals still solid, owners are fine ... Have some backbone and some insight!! Build a franchise!!! Hire the RIGHT candidate for your football masterplan -- not the one that will have the most pop on sportscenter the night before the announcement.

Oh, and owners? :D

I'm as involved and active and informed of a fan as there is, but I don't harbor any delusions that my mastery of "Franchise Mode" on Madden actually qualifies me as any sort of football professional.  There's a reason these men are paid millions of dollars to do what they do . . . they know what they're doing!

Peace

policy

684026[/snapback]

Mmm......"Franchise Mode" on Madden......

Edited by Fatman

I agree with policy.  It's my understanding that there are rumors in HOU that DCarr may not be "the man".  Is that fair?  Idunno, but what kind of grooming did he get?  I recall SMcNair in HOU.  He was kept on the sidelines for so long when he came into the league.  Look what that patience did for his career and for TEN!

684397[/snapback]

Exactly. Most Lions fans were calling for Harrington's head during the 2003 season.

Peace

policy

If you buy a good steak, you don't marinade it.  A little olive oil, a little kosher salt, and some fresh pepper.  Cook it and eat it.

685073[/snapback]

On a nice thick cut, along with your olive oil, s & p, you might throw on the lightest sprinkle of cayenne as well... :D

Your talking about Lions fans here...of which I am one. Plus, I assume, your reading some of the local message boards or radio shows that are just plum full of brilliant football minds.

I like those who say "It's our fault for going to Ford Field and supporting an owner who doesn't want to win"...This in a salary cap era in which the teams generate most of their income from TV deals.

I think you are right on, in regards to the sheer number of "experts" the internet has created. Some clown from some tabloid puts some information out there and the internet community takes it like the god's honest truth! Hey, did anyone see the article Jack Anjill wrote in the (insert small market town name) Gazette about Mooches play calling....HIT IT RIGHT ON THE HEAD...he should be fired! See it all the time.